C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Why our C is rated low? You guys agree

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09' E350 AMG Sport, 09' C300, 03' Honda S2K
Why our C is rated low? You guys agree

Ok, so I've been reading around the internet regards to reviews to our C and was wondering why more reviewers rated so low comparing it with other cars in it class. The only complaint I really have is I wish the door panel was nicely padded just like the leather option instead of just a piece of rubber. Do you guys agree with these reviewers about our C?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Most reviews that I've read are fairly accurate...very nice car, great design, needs more power, good handling, great auto trans., etc. etc.

It typically gets about an 8 out of 10 from most reviews I've read and I've read a lot of them. This is a very good car but just lacking a few things from being a truly great car. For me both models are lacking about 30-40 hp which would truly make them great cars. It is puzzling why MB didn't try to be more competitive with BMW and Infiniti who can both get 300+ hp out of similar sized engines. Kind of hard to be a sport sedan when a Honda Accord V6 has more hp than my 350...

That being said, I drove the 335i and still chose my 350, it just felt right and I love it. Would I like to change a few things, you bet. But there's really not many perfect cars...at least not in my price range right now. Rumor is that MB is developing a new V6 possibly with forced induction to be more competitive with BMW and Infiniti. I dream of a C class with 330+ hp someday!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203-4M W163
As with all things, it depends on what the reviewer values, which they don't divulge for the most part.

If I valued performance, I'd be driving AMG without a doubt.

My dealership has given me two different 204s as loaners, and I have found them to lean too much towards performance, which I don't value nearly as much as I do comfort and the ability to listen to Glenn Gould in peace and quiet.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
The W204 is definitely down on power compared to rivals. I would still pick it over the TL (OMG ugly), the G37 (hated this one), the ES350 (great acceleration, even when you don't expect it!), or the Audi A4 (meh). The 335i is still king of this class, though. If Mercedes is just going to slap a 330hp engine in the 204 without doing anything like offering a proper manual, it's still not going to be competitive with BMW.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:01 AM

c350
I love the 350 but you have to remember for the entry car for mercedes it fits perfectly, most ppl complaining either come from the E class or higher up. Also put into consideration that this is the first model for the w204, new facelift along with new features is coming. My complaint is that we dont have a start engine button, but every other car does, even kia's have them
Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 AM

2018-G550
topgear rated ok comparing it with other cars in it class. better then A4 AND LEX IS SAME AS BMW 3
Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by billvip
SAME AS BMW 3
No. Not even close.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Benz design their cars to fit a specific segment as they see fit to appeal to their traditional customer base while trying to attract some new blood. Most MB owners in ROW expect very long life from a Benz product & in this respect they beat BMW hands down. BMW's will simply not do the mileage that a Benz will. They don't make old bones well & this reflects in their poor resale value in ROW. This is less of an issue in the US toss out market. In Asia Benz holds close to God like status. You drive a 3 pointed star and you have made it. BMW holds no such status.

Benz indeed is working on turbo versions of all their engines but likely at lower capacity & I'm sure will be conservative in output for longevity. They will leave the performance end of the market to AMG.

Benz in ROW where cars are generally better spec'd, are moving successfully to higher price points in the segment. In Australasia, Africa, ME & Europe - Benz now commands a clear premium in pricing over BMW for an apparently equivalent car. Benz make a lot more money out of selling trucks & busses than cars & will never alienate their traditional customer base. For BMW cars are the only game in town. That's why we have Benz buying their own Formula One teams while BMW has been forced to withdraw. BMW is a highly successful family company but it has it's limitations & does not have Benz' deep wallet.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09' E350 AMG Sport, 09' C300, 03' Honda S2K
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Benz design their cars to fit a specific segment as they see fit to appeal to their traditional customer base while trying to attract some new blood. Most MB owners in ROW expect very long life from a Benz product & in this respect they beat BMW hands down. BMW's will simply not do the mileage that a Benz will. They don't make old bones well & this reflects in their poor resale value in ROW. This is less of an issue in the US toss out market. In Asia Benz holds close to God like status. You drive a 3 pointed star and you have made it. BMW holds no such status.

Benz indeed is working on turbo versions of all their engines but likely at lower capacity & I'm sure will be conservative in output for longevity. They will leave the performance end of the market to AMG.

Benz in ROW where cars are generally better spec'd, are moving successfully to higher price points in the segment. In Australasia, Africa, ME & Europe - Benz now commands a clear premium in pricing over BMW for an apparently equivalent car. Benz make a lot more money out of selling trucks & busses than cars & will never alienate their traditional customer base. For BMW cars are the only game in town. That's why we have Benz buying their own Formula One teams while BMW has been forced to withdraw. BMW is a highly successful family company but it has it's limitations & does not have Benz' deep wallet.

That a very interested segment you wrote there Glyn, I hope our W204's would last us for over 100k without any problems. Before my W204, I was really looking into the 08" Acura TL type S (before the redesing) because of it power and performance and coming from a Japanese car background.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Our cars are not the fastest, roomiest or most luxurious. Depending on the reviewer, there will always be cars that will "beat" the C Class. What MB did with the C Class is give it a little more sport, a little more room and a few more availalbe options and features while improving the build quality.
The C is a solid player in its class and many of us apparently found the balance to our liking.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by charliele729
That a very interested segment you wrote there Glyn, I hope our W204's would last us for over 100k without any problems. Before my W204, I was really looking into the 08" Acura TL type S (before the redesing) because of it power and performance and coming from a Japanese car background.
We have a E240 at the office that has now done 640,000 Km in airport service - no major repairs & runs beautifully. A friend in KL Malaysia has a C240 that has now done 760,000 Km in airport shuttle service. No major repairs - standard servicing at Cycle & Carriage KL. Lot's of tyres & brake pads.

This is what we expect from a Benz. A BMW would have been in the trash years before.

The W204 is a tough robust vehicle with good quality control & no experimental rubbish on board. No more computer simulated endurance testing. All endurance testing was done here on the road in South Africa & Namibia apart from the cold weather testing which was done in northern Europe.

In my global job prior to retirement I travelled the world endlessly at over 200 days a year to our 227 operations. Many in third world countries. Benz cars & Toyota Utes/light trucks & 4X4's are all that make really old bones & keep running.

Like any vehicle the 204 has a few minor niggles. The 272 engine seems to suffer the odd camshaft position sensor failure as an example but these are minor, cheap & easy to replace
Old 03-02-2010, 05:20 PM

2001 R129 SL500, '08-'20 W204 C350
Well, how about the review that actually matters - yours.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
We have a E240 at the office that has now done 640,000 Km in airport service - no major repairs & runs beautifully. A friend in KL Malaysia has a C240 that has now done 760,000 Km in airport shuttle service. No major repairs - standard servicing at Cycle & Carriage KL. Lot's of tyres & brake pads.

This is what we expect from a Benz. A BMW would have been in the trash years before.

The W204 is a tough robust vehicle with good quality control & no experimental rubbish on board. No more computer simulated endurance testing. All endurance testing was done here on the road in South Africa & Namibia apart from the cold weather testing which was done in northern Europe.

In my global job prior to retirement I travelled the world endlessly at over 200 days a year to our 227 operations. Many in third world countries. Benz cars & Toyota Utes/light trucks & 4X4's are all that make really old bones & keep running.

Like any vehicle the 204 has a few minor niggles. The 272 engine seems to suffer the odd camshaft position sensor failure as an example but these are minor, cheap & easy to replace
Glyn,

This is great stuff...thanks!

When I retired and lost my company-provided car and had to actually buy one, I decided to replace my wife's as well, bought the E and C, and told my beloved, "Race to 200,000 miles!!".

Now, I'm thinking that may just be the first lap!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
C reviews

Originally Posted by charliele729
Ok, so I've been reading around the internet regards to reviews to our C and was wondering why more reviewers rated so low comparing it with other cars in it class. The only complaint I really have is I wish the door panel was nicely padded just like the leather option instead of just a piece of rubber. Do you guys agree with these reviewers about our C?
Take a look at the just-out Consumer Reports Auto Issue. They rate the W204 very highly. At the top in comparative safety and average in reliability. They liked everything except the "confusing" controls. Like all strangers to the make, I think.

The beginner drivers usually are upset with the cruise control wand VS the turn signal handle but that wasn't mentioned this time.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
There are a few complaints with the w204, the major complaint seems to be its lack of power. An Audi A4 with a turbo 4 engine makes less hp, but yet its faster 0-60 by a full second (comparing auto/awd models). An increase in hp would do wonders for the C across the board, but mainly benefiting the C300 model. The turbo model in the works would be for the C350 variant, but a direct injection engine has been rumored for a couple years now. I would be happy with the SLK 300hp V6 in the C300 as a consolation prize.

The second complaint would be the interior. Materials are a little low rent for the price range this car falls into (thanks to m.s.r.p. increases every year since its introduction). There's also the complaint of rear seat room, in which a Honda Civic has more room than a C...sounds crazy but look it up. Nothing can be done about that though until an all new design comes about, but the interior materials could be improved, although that seems unlikely as the E has taken on some of the similar materials in its interior.

Overall the C is a good car, its not great in any category, but it doesn't necessarily fail either. But with a GLK350 boasting more power, more options, a bit more cargo room all for less money (comparing options to options), its hard to recommend the C to any one at this point. I don't see myself getting another C unless they drop some serious cash off of them, which is a possibility as it used to be Benz's number one seller but its now losing sales to the GLK.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:10 AM

2008 C300
How did you find out that the GLK is outselling C class? Honestly I don't think I ever seen a GLK yet in the street :/
Old 03-03-2010, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For the record, I really like both BMW and Benz. That BMW is a really successful family company does not seem like a negative to me. Perhaps without all the other stuff to piddle in this is why their cars seem so much more focused. As far as quality goes, I can't attest to anything but first hand experience which seems to be about equal. I rarely have a car to 100k miles so again, not the best judge here. The BMW makes me happy in a way a Benz does not - at least not at this given price point. While I think it has long been clear that the 3-series is king of this class, when you move up that's really not the case. The S-class dominates pretty much all else, for example. I'd take an E90 335i over a W204 C350 every day, but I'd take an S65 over all else. It's all a matter of which class/price we're talking - in this case, the C-class.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

The 3 Series is only king of the class in thoroughly euro centric countries (although it created the class & was that benchmark). Benz comfortably outsells it in South Africa with both being made here & BMW pricing being a lot more attractive than Benz.

In Asia - the largest car market in the world - Benz reigns supreme in the class. The BMW 3 series barely gets a look in.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I thought that Benz enjoyed a status in the USA that it did not enjoy in Europe.. with them being taxis and such. Benz isn't geared strongly enough towards those who really, really like to drive, IMO. The AMG models are a bit too much like a muscle car for me - fast in a straight line but out of control in other places. To me, Benz doesn't make a sports car like BMW, but BMW doesn't do luxury as well as Benz.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I regularly have extensive seat time in a 335i coupe. It is quick. I have had quicker. Handling is great, but the C is right up there with it. When I am done with it, it will be spot-on. My doors make a nice soild "thunk" when I close them. The 335i doors rattle a bit. The 335i exterior harware is sub-par on the $50,000.00+ car to which I have access. My C coddles me in the bad weather. The 335i does too, but a bit more harshly. Driving this winter with snow tires on my C is a breeze. And shifting the 6MT is very satisfying. The 335i is auto, so no comment. Unless it's a VAG DSG transmission, I am not impressed with siftable automatics. You can keep the C in the sweet spot of the torque curve with the 6MT and it's not bad.

If Benz does produce a C coupe with turbos as rumored, I will pick the C again. If not, MB will still be at the top of my list. There's nothing like 'em.

As far as the reviewers go, I believe they need to spend more time in the car. Mine usually sits in the winter. This year I am driving it. The more time I spend in it, the more I appreciate it.

No matter how powerful the Lex, Acura and Infinity are, they still do not have the heritage and timelessness of Mercedes. They never will.

BMWs are great cars. I will always consider BMW. I don't really trust Audi anymore. They seem to have improved over the last couple of years.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
No. Not even close.
It's not as athletic as the 3, but I think it's better in a lot of other areas. So yes, very close.

Last edited by C300Kid; 03-03-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
MB is all about understated luxury and "smooth" performance - it no wonder the C does not "impress" on first impressions VS other brands who focus on instant gratification.

Nothing beats the respect the Star command on the road aside from $200K+ exotics.

The fact they have their own F1 team and have powered many previous F1 winners is a real plus and point of brand pride - especially when BMW, Toyota, and Honda all failed after many years of trying.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:06 PM

2010 GLK 4Matic Steel Gray
Originally Posted by Will38
How did you find out that the GLK is outselling C class? Honestly I don't think I ever seen a GLK yet in the street :/
You are correct. According to sales figures from Feb 2010, the C sold about 2x the rate of the GLK (in the US).

In terms of rankings, I could really care less how they place. My Merc brings a smile to my face every day i get in, and thats all that matters in the end.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:44 PM

2008 C300
Originally Posted by kunz
In terms of rankings, I could really care less how they place. My Merc brings a smile to my face every day i get in, and thats all that matters in the end.
+1. I like that statement
Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 PM

ML 350-Black=Sold. New 08 C300 4Matic, Black/Black, P1, Ipod, Auto7speed, 10/10 hit 100,000 miles
I have put 75,000 miles on my 08 C300 4 Matic and I still enjoy driving it. I often think of what my next vehicle would be and I have not come up with one as yet. So, I will keep driving my C300.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why our C is rated low? You guys agree