MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   difference between bi-xenon and stock (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/344533-difference-between-bi-xenon-stock.html)

Stucazzo 03-29-2010 09:45 PM

difference between bi-xenon and stock

my last car had bi-xenon, they were great, the c300 i am looking to buy doesnt have the p2 package. any thoughts on the difference. dealer says the stock ones are nicjust as nice, but never saw it in the dark. thanks

charliele729 03-30-2010 01:09 AM

I dont think I can ever drive a car without xenons again. Before my C, I had two other cars that had xenons. But once you go xenons you cant go back. Your best bet would just to wait at night and then test drive the car with and without the xenons.

Stucazzo 03-30-2010 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by charliele729 (Post 4009274)
I dont think I can ever drive a car without xenons again. Before my C, I had two other cars that had xenons. But once you go xenons you cant go back. Your best bet would just to wait at night and then test drive the car with and without the xenons.

thats exactly how i feel, but i cant find a white c300 with p2, personally i would trade the ipod connection thing for the p2 package. i hate the way they do packages, its ridiculous

dalazernet 03-30-2010 03:18 AM

More useful than the xenon headlights in my opinion are the split fold rear seats that come with P2. What if you ever wanted to take something large home with you? That should be reason alone.

- Eric

dcjwlee 03-30-2010 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Stucazzo (Post 4008935)
my last car had bi-xenon, they were great, the c300 i am looking to buy doesnt have the p2 package. any thoughts on the difference. dealer says the stock ones are nicjust as nice, but never saw it in the dark. thanks

Your dealer is lying. Lol. Bi-xenon and halogen lamps are not even in the same ballpark.

I had to wait a little while to get my White C300 4matic Sport w/ P2, MM pack, pano roof, and other assorted goodies. However, it was well worth it. The only thing I wish i got were the C350 rims...

MBHellBlaze 03-30-2010 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stucazzo (Post 4009283)
thats exactly how i feel, but i cant find a white c300 with p2, personally i would trade the ipod connection thing for the p2 package. i hate the way they do packages, its ridiculous

Just pay for the Xenons separately, that's what I did. MB installed it for me, mine didn't come with it either. Of course you will have yellow high beams and then white low beams but still, you have Xenons and that's all that matters. I will never go back to stocks.

Stucazzo 03-30-2010 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by dalazernet (Post 4009409)
More useful than the xenon headlights in my opinion are the split fold rear seats that come with P2. What if you ever wanted to take something large home with you? That should be reason alone.

- Eric

i agree, especially when you go to home depot and or go skiing. but my parents have an SUV which i can always borrow for stuff like that.

The main problem is that they dont have a white c300 with the p2....i might take a look at the dark silver color. my last car was black so thats def out. i knew he was bull****ing me when he said that. and i agree, once you go xenon you cant go back, thanks everyone

charliele729 03-30-2010 03:11 PM

Yup I got p2 with Ipod and wood trip. Split folding seats are just "Magical"

dalazernet 03-30-2010 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by charliele729 (Post 4010067)
Yup I got p2 with Ipod and wood trip. Split folding seats are just "Magical"

Out of curiosity, why did you use the term "Magical" ? I happened to use that term in a video at the last conference I attended and I people have been laughing about that for a while now and it caught me off guard to hear it here...

PS - 500th post! woohoo!

- Eric

Stucazzo 03-30-2010 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by dalazernet (Post 4010094)
Out of curiosity, why did you use the term "Magical" ? I happened to use that term in a video at the last conference I attended and I people have been laughing about that for a while now and it caught me off guard to hear it here...

PS - 500th post! woohoo!

- Eric

it def was "magical" but then again why does my cousins honda SI have that and i have to pay for such a magical feeling?

so i called the dealer and he read off some other cars that have the p2, sure its a couple thousand more, but thats not the problem, the problem is that none of those cars have the AMG 18" wheels which I want really bad. altough i am looking to see how much a nice set of rims would cost me, but i had rims on my last car and they are still sitting in the garage banged up from the roads and tireless. why is it that i have to trade one option for another? dont they want to make money off me by wanting both the wheels and P2? what gives

Krytech 03-30-2010 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stucazzo (Post 4010233)
it def was "magical" but then again why does my cousins honda SI have that and i have to pay for such a magical feeling?

so i called the dealer and he read off some other cars that have the p2, sure its a couple thousand more, but thats not the problem, the problem is that none of those cars have the AMG 18" wheels which I want really bad. altough i am looking to see how much a nice set of rims would cost me, but i had rims on my last car and they are still sitting in the garage banged up from the roads and tireless. why is it that i have to trade one option for another? dont they want to make money off me by wanting both the wheels and P2? what gives

Take it with the 17" wheels and buy a set of 18" C63 wheels when a cheap set pops up :y

Maybe I miss understood your delima but if you want to compare the headlights, drive one of each at night to see the difference, the car color doesn't matter.

Or you could always do what most of us early adopters did, order the exact car you want and then wait 3-4 months for delivery :eek:

Final thought: Can't your dealer source a car from out of your region so you can get exactly what you want or have they already looked outside their local inventory?

Good luck! :y

Stucazzo 03-30-2010 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Krytech (Post 4010379)
Take it with the 17" wheels and buy a set of 18" C63 wheels when a cheap set pops up :y

Maybe I miss understood your delima but if you want to compare the headlights, drive one of each at night to see the difference, the car color doesn't matter.

Or you could always do what most of us early adopters did, order the exact car you want and then wait 3-4 months for delivery :eek:

Final thought: Can't your dealer source a car from out of your region so you can get exactly what you want or have they already looked outside their local inventory?

Good luck! :y

any idea how much a set of C63 wheels might cost around?

i cant order it now, its too late, have no car for the past 2 days, losing my mind lol....he searched, and i cant believe this, but p2 is not a hot package in this area. my brain hurts from trying to figure out what i want and what i can do without. 7" nav, amg wheels, p2, fake leather, tinny nav, its all too much, lol i just want a white benzo with all the goodies, i want a C63 but that isnt gonna happen. i am gonna look up some amg rims and see how much they cost with tires, its probably cheaper than the p2 package anyways i am thinking

Krytech 03-30-2010 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stucazzo (Post 4010390)
any idea how much a set of C63 wheels might cost around?

i cant order it now, its too late, have no car for the past 2 days, losing my mind lol....he searched, and i cant believe this, but p2 is not a hot package in this area. my brain hurts from trying to figure out what i want and what i can do without. 7" nav, amg wheels, p2, fake leather, tinny nav, its all too much, lol i just want a white benzo with all the goodies, i want a C63 but that isnt gonna happen. i am gonna look up some amg rims and see how much they cost with tires, its probably cheaper than the p2 package anyways i am thinking

Most sets of OE C63 wheels go for $1500-$2200 depending on tire condition and TPMS. My set was $1400 with fair rubber and no tpms.

P2 is slick so you probably want to stick with that if possible. But if you are mainly interested in the headlights those can be added by themselves, just work something out with the dealer to sell them to you at cost and install them for free.

Wheels are SO easy to add on later that I wouldn't even let that be an issue.

I can also tell you the one option though that I wouldn't give up is the MM system. Now when I bought my car, the MM system included the larger popup screen, 7.1 HK sound, Nav, Voice control, PCMCIA card slot, more?. I understand today those are somewhat separate options. But I wouldn't give them up for anything (other than the 3.5L engine). Take my P2 and give me 16" plastic wheels just don't touch my MM system. :rolf:

RLE 03-30-2010 05:55 PM

Dealer install?

Originally Posted by MBHellBlaze (Post 4009514)
Just pay for the Xenons separately, that's what I did. MB installed it for me, mine didn't come with it either. Of course you will have yellow high beams and then white low beams but still, you have Xenons and that's all that matters. I will never go back to stocks.

If you had genuine OE Bi-Xenons, you would have four high beams, the inners being halogens. What was the cost of whatever was installed?

Swapping the headlight assemblies to OE Bi-Xenons is easily done but hugely expensive and the self levelling feature won't be there.

ayilar 03-30-2010 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stucazzo (Post 4008935)
My last car had bi-xenon, they were great, the c300 I am looking to buy doesn't have the p2 package. Any thoughts on the difference? Dealer says the stock ones are just as nice, but never saw it in the dark. Thanks

I have driven both types of W204s in deep darkness (my C350 with bi-xenon and C300 loaners without); there is simply no comparison. It's not that the regular headlights are bad, mind you -- it's just that turning on the high beams on my car is "magical" (to quote from another post :) )

A further thought: I used to think that the headlights on my 2005 C230k Coupe were good; not anymore...

JimPap 03-31-2010 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by dalazernet (Post 4009409)

- Eric

That's the main reason I got the P2 package...the fold down rear seats.

I was a bit disappointed with the bixenons as the ultra bright halogen bulbs in my previous car was much brighter. Also as it turns out, I had a problem with one of my bixenon headlights. If it hadn't been under warranty, it would have been one of those $1,100 repairs as they had to replace the housing and the starter thing that sits directly under it. Water got into it. Too expensive to repair if not in warranty.

If I had it to over again I still would want the fold down rear seat and I'd do whatever is necessary to get that even if it means getting some options that I didn't particularly care for. Too bad you can't get it without the bixenons.

Stucazzo 03-31-2010 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ayilar (Post 4010998)
I have driven both types of W204s in deep darkness (my C350 with bi-xenon and C300 loaners without); there is simply no comparison. It's not that the regular headlights are bad, mind you -- it's just that turning on the high beams on my car is "magical" (to quote from another post :) )

A further thought: I used to think that the headlights on my 2005 C230k Coupe were good; not anymore...

thats what one dealer told me, he said its really good for when you live in a wooded area of a very rural area but if you drive in a town with alot of street lights or like the city, there isnt a difference. I dont happen to drive down too many roads without lights, occassionaly i do, and the beamer bi-xenon were sick, even the high beams were crazy bright. and it def saved my ass from hitting a deer multiple times.

I just wish i took a look at the headlights more carefully when i first looked at the car back in february when it was dark at 5PM, now i'd have to wait till 730. and the dealership is 45 minutes away, which is why i havnt done so yet.