MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   what the hell is MB-TEX? fake leather? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/344672-what-hell-mb-tex-fake-leather.html)

Stucazzo 03-30-2010 05:08 PM

what the hell is MB-TEX? fake leather?

any thoughts on the differences between that and leather?

jstaneff 03-30-2010 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stucazzo (Post 4010295)
any thoughts on the differences between that and leather?

I have a thought: change the heading of this thread to be more civil.

MB-Tex is the world's best vinyl. Can't go wrong with it.

Azn_C300 03-30-2010 05:14 PM

Topic has been covered ad nauseum.

It's basically a high grade vinyl material. Not as good to the touch as leather, but more durable and maintainable.

MBHellBlaze 03-30-2010 05:14 PM

To answer your question... Yea, basically it's fake leather. The "tex" is known as textured vinyl. It's really durable and won't sag in the long run like leather does. I don't mind it at all and many people who sit in my car assumes it's leather.

Sportstick 03-30-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Azn_C300 (Post 4010316)
Topic has been covered ad nauseum.

It's basically a high grade vinyl material. Not as good to the touch as leather, but more durable and maintainable.

+1

Premise is wrong....not "fake" leather...genuine high quality alternative which addresses leather shortcomings. Search for more info from past threads.

C300Sport 03-30-2010 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by jstaneff (Post 4010313)
I have a thought: change the heading of this thread to be more civil

+1

Originally Posted by MBHellBlaze (Post 4010319)
I don't mind it at all and many people who sit in my car assumes it's leather.

I would guess 99% of people would assume it is leather in a Benz.

Stucazzo 03-30-2010 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by MBHellBlaze (Post 4010319)
To answer your question... Yea, basically it's fake leather. The "tex" is known as textured vinyl. It's really durable and won't sag in the long run like leather does. I don't mind it at all and many people who sit in my car assumes it's leather.

thats all i needed to hear, as long as its like the real thing, its all good

my apologies to the churchy people for using the word HELL, i forgot how some people have huge sticks up their ass about curse words, holy **** :)

Sportstick 03-30-2010 05:49 PM

Appreciate the consideration, but it's not only an issue of "churchy", about the furthest thought from my mind. Perhaps it's generational, but some of us find civil discourse more rewarding and enjoyable. It's tough enough interpreting some of the characters strung together here which masquerade as English words (you=u; your or you're=ur, that=dat, to or too = 2, etc.), that a thoughtful, literate, non-hostile, substantive comment, relying on communication skill and not stuffed with expletives/swearing, will usually receive the best answers. Welcome! :D

sebydeleon 03-30-2010 06:00 PM

Perfect
One question , it is vinyl, not leather, what product i can use to clean an maintain the interior?
I use leather care products like othe people, do i continue using them or there is a product especifically for this type of vinyl?

Stucazzo 03-30-2010 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick (Post 4010403)
Appreciate the consideration, but it's not only an issue of "churchy", about the furthest thought from my mind. Perhaps it's generational, but some of us find civil discourse more rewarding and enjoyable. It's tough enough interpreting some of the characters strung together here which masquerade as English words (you=u; your or you're=ur, that=dat, to or too = 2, etc.), that a thoughtful, literate, non-hostile, substantive comment, relying on communication skill and not stuffed with expletives/swearing, will usually receive the best answers. Welcome! :D

wow, that was the most thought out, well written piece i've ever read in a forum...i am being serious, well played

but to keep with my "generational" views, i give you the following movie quote cause thats all my generation loves to do;

"Do you know what 'nemesis' means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cu*t... ME".

ps- i am just playin

Sportstick 03-30-2010 06:23 PM

:thankyou::y:D

noka 03-30-2010 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick (Post 4010343)
...high quality alternative which addresses leather shortcomings. ...

Since it does not breath like leather (or cloth for that matter), my guess is that on a hot day without AC (or even when you first get in before the AC can do it's job), you might sweat and stick to it,.. much like any vinyl product. That's one of the reasons I would try to find one with leather (not easy). Maybe I'll have to order one when the time comes.

Sportstick 03-30-2010 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by noka (Post 4010471)
Since it does not breath like leather (or cloth for that matter), my guess is that on a hot day without AC (or even when you first get in before the AC can do it's job), you might sweat and stick to it,.. much like any vinyl product. That's one of the reasons I would try to find one with leather (not easy). Maybe I'll have to order one when the time comes.

The MB Tex seating inserts are fully perforated, so the seating surface does "breathe". After having had cars with leather and now, MB Tex, and having this car in ambient temps into the 90s, I have not found any comfort disadvantage. I also have this in my E Class, and now could not justify spending for leather again. And, as an earlier poster also said, guests think it's leather.

aowhaus 03-30-2010 06:43 PM

Vinyl has been used in cars for ages.
MB has the best vinyl uphostery in the business, look at any 10 or 20 year old MB with MBTex and it still looks in great condition.

It looks and feels like leather, but with less maintanence. Great if you have dogs or kids.

Azn_C300 03-30-2010 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by sebydeleon (Post 4010419)
Perfect
One question , it is vinyl, not leather, what product i can use to clean an maintain the interior?
I use leather care products like othe people, do i continue using them or there is a product especifically for this type of vinyl?

I've gone through several cleaners/protectants and the best combo I've found thus far has been the 303 lineup:

303 Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner
http://www.detailedimage.com/product...1_1_m_2726.jpg

303 Aerospace Protectant
http://www.detailedimage.com/product...2_1_m_3659.jpg

Some however prefer the Einszsett combo though, but I've had more success with 303 over 1Z:

1Z einszett Cockpit Premium
http://www.detailersdomain.com/image...pitPrem500.jpg

1Z einszett Vinyl-Rubber Care + Protectant 'Tiefenpfleger'
http://www.detailersdomain.com/image...berCare500.jpg

noka 03-30-2010 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick (Post 4010480)
The MB Tex seating inserts are fully perforated, so the seating surface does "breathe". ...

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't aware it was perforated. Will have to get a closer look when I test drive a C300 in the near future. I guess the downside for me might be (correct me if I'm wrong) that the door armrests and some other parts are stiffer plastic type material.

duck718nyc 03-30-2010 08:30 PM

The MB-TEX was not a very appealing to me at first, but I must say it has grown on me. I actually like it now & would probably LOVE it if the arm rest & door panels were in the same material & not look & feel like a basketball...lol.

That is my only complain, most can not tell the difference when it comes to the seats, but when you/guest take a look at the armrest & door panels...that's when the questions are asked...Is this leather? lol All MB had to do was wrap the armrest & door panels :nix:

Derspeed 03-30-2010 08:48 PM

I like it too. It's kinda rubbery.

joshg1001 03-31-2010 12:45 AM

huge draw back is that you get cheap interior door panels...other than that, most people will assume its leather. Sometimes I laught at the fact that the 25K toyota camry next to me has leather, but my 50K Mercedes doesnt, haha :)

JimPap 03-31-2010 01:01 AM

They're close enough where I don't really care.

I do like the smell of leather but I suppose you can get that in squirt bottle if its that important to you.

Derspeed 03-31-2010 11:07 AM

My interior has always had a chocolate-like smell. I like it.

C300Sport 03-31-2010 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Derspeed (Post 4011528)
My interior has always had a chocolate-like smell. I like it.

Should be more careful with those Hershey bars...:)

But it is nice to know that they could sit there melted on it for a while without hurting the MB Tex.

Stucazzo 03-31-2010 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by joshg1001 (Post 4011104)
huge draw back is that you get cheap interior door panels...other than that, most people will assume its leather. Sometimes I laught at the fact that the 25K toyota camry next to me has leather, but my 50K Mercedes doesnt, haha :)

i agree completely

so let me recap here. I cant find a P2 car so no xenon, fake leather, no fold down seats, i have to pay for a maintenance package, and the ipod/iphone connection piece is in the glove box?

tell me again why i am leaving BMW for mercedes lol

picking up my car tomorrow hopefully....hope not having the xenons doesnt turn me completely off.

I ll tell you one thing about the fake leather, my dad has that in his beamer and i had full leather in mine and i def saw a difference. hope its not the case with mercedes

noka 03-31-2010 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stucazzo (Post 4011932)
... I ll tell you one thing about the fake leather, my dad has that in his beamer and i had full leather in mine and i def saw a difference. hope its not the case with mercedes

Sounds like interior door panels being so cheap looking and feeling might be a deal breaker for me. I'll have to check it out but I already think I know how I'll respond to it. Too bad they didn't address that.

charliele729 03-31-2010 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by noka (Post 4012121)
Sounds like interior door panels being so cheap looking and feeling might be a deal breaker for me. I'll have to check it out but I already think I know how I'll respond to it. Too bad they didn't address that.

This is definitely one of the weak points of the C interior, the door panels makes the interior feel very cold and naked.