MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   tire bubble, need help. (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/345422-tire-bubble-need-help.html)

Mr. Whiskerz 04-05-2010 08:30 AM

tire bubble, need help.

Hello guy's, I just found out the other day when i was washing my car that my front passenger side has bubble. What should I do? Should I buy anew tire on just that side or should I buy two tires for the front? I only have 14000 miles on it. Or should i buy a used one? I have a c300 2009 with a 18 inch rim amg. And let me know where i can get a cheap tires..Thank u.

racetested 04-05-2010 12:02 PM

There aren't any real shortcuts or cheap ways around a bad tire. Your internal steel belt broke which seems common on these low profile tires when hitting potholes, etc.

The chances of finding just "one" used tire will be next to impossible to match your brand and size.

As far as replacing just the one tire for your miles is hard to say as tire wear can vary depending on driving style and a local tire shop will hopefully be more helpful and honest.

The main sources are tirerack and discount tire for good prices.

sebydeleon 04-05-2010 12:07 PM

You should change both front tires. Installing one is not recomended beacuse they have a lot of mileage. An used tire is never an option . It is a Mercedes, not a cheap car.

Spec_Davis 04-05-2010 12:07 PM

replace it ASAP bc when the ground gets hot and your tire will expand which will lead to a blowout. I had that experience b4 on my old car.

Carsy 04-05-2010 04:29 PM

Another Option :-

1.Replace damaged tyre with the new spare from boot/trunk & buy another new tyre for the other side.
Use the worn 14000 mile tyre as your spare.

itcrashed 04-05-2010 04:51 PM

Replace both front tires. 15k is enough of a difference between tires to experience tracking problems, unusual wear, and even alignment problems.

RLE 04-05-2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Carsy (Post 4019025)
Another Option :-

1.Replace damaged tyre with the new spare from boot/trunk & buy another new tyre for the other side.
Use the worn 14000 mile tyre as your spare.

Uhh....the spare is a space-saver.

Mr. Whiskerz 04-05-2010 07:16 PM

thank u so much guy's. I just dont understand it, tho.. I am really carefull when i drive and try to avoid any potholes and bad roads. How can this happened to my tires. Tsk Tsk tsk. So, I guess ihave to replace them both now. So tirerack is the best place for me to get the tires? Do tirerack have any local stores? I live in santa clarita valley, so i can just bring the car to them and replace the both tires.

Sportstick 04-05-2010 07:37 PM

Once you are on the tirerack.com site, select your tires, and then look for the Installation tab...they will lead you to their local approved installer.

absolutleo 04-05-2010 07:58 PM

i've had this similar problem previously. i did not have any rim damage so i argued that if i hit a pothole hard enough for that to happen to a front tire, similar would happen/appear in rear tire which it did not. after a while NTB (main distributor for continental) finally decided to replace under goodwill/warranty. Then you call up the dealer or mechanic that is MB certified and have them explain that 15k miles is enough to screw up alignment and driving safety to the guys at NTB and they will replace the other front tire at the cost of tire tread.
I have found that the dealer is extremely helpful if they understand that you are not trying to claim warranty from them, but from someone else... well around here at least.

glw 04-05-2010 08:05 PM

buying cheap tires is like buying a cheap racing helmet. spring for some good ones!

nyca 04-05-2010 08:59 PM

Is it a Continental?

I have not at all been impressed with the OEM Conti tires on the car, I recently also saw a tire bubble appear. I am replacing the whole set with Michelins, I had flats in every single one of the original tires, now this bubble. I am going with Michelin this time.

Sportstick 04-05-2010 10:13 PM

+1

The OE Contis and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus are quite different...the Michelins are excellent!:y

nyca 04-05-2010 11:14 PM

Yes, those are the Michelins I will be using. There was also a Pirelli that got good reviews, a little cheaper, but I have never used Pirellis so I figured I would stick with Michelin.

Carsy 04-05-2010 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 4019237)
Uhh....the spare is a space-saver.

Oh dear , the same with BMW's out here.

We have a real spare tyre on the w 204 C Class in Australia.

I would not buy a car with a space saver.Distances between watering holes is too great .

Sportstick 04-05-2010 11:43 PM

BMW 3 Series here is even worse....run flats and they eliminated the storage area for any spare, full or doughnut....carrying any kind of spare would have to take up the trunk. :crazy:

racetested 04-06-2010 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by nyca (Post 4019399)
I have not at all been impressed with the OEM Conti tires on the car, I recently also saw a tire bubble appear. I am replacing the whole set with Michelins, I had flats in every single one of the original tires, now this bubble. I am going with Michelin this time.

Yeah, I have never had so many problems with tires than I have had with these Continentals. In an 18 month time frame I have had 2 rear blowouts and a broken belt in the passenger front which seems common. Of course this has to happen with fairly expensive tires!

I finally put all new Goodyear F1's on and hope to have better luck.

sebydeleon 04-06-2010 09:51 AM

Hi everyone.
The problems with the continentals is that they have only one ply on the sidewall.
That makes these tires more incline to make bubbles in potholes. Try to find a tire with two plies in the sidewall.

E92-Lighting 04-06-2010 03:38 PM

you should get it changed asap

JoeVal 04-06-2010 04:52 PM

You're on the right track, two new Michelins or Yoko will do you good.

RLE 04-06-2010 11:54 PM

Tireless

Originally Posted by Sportstick (Post 4019670)
BMW 3 Series here is even worse....run flats and they eliminated the storage area for any spare, full or doughnut....carrying any kind of spare would have to take up the trunk. :crazy:

Never mind the mass market BMW. How about a Porsche 997 Carrera S with NO spare tire and a rear wheel (11X19) that weighs nearly 70 pounds and can be carried in the RF seat only.

You do get a little can of fix-a-flat, of course.

Sportstick 04-07-2010 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 4021241)
Never mind the mass market BMW. How about a Porsche 997 Carrera S with NO spare tire and a rear wheel (11X19) that weighs nearly 70 pounds and can be carried in the RF seat only.

You do get a little can of fix-a-flat, of course.

I think I'd keep that puppy close to home....chassis engineers were getting far too carried away with what they thought were the benefits of run flats...my gosh...eliminating the spare tire well?!?!?! :crazy:

But, at least domestically, they are backing off. The class action litigation against Toyota and BMW over these tires may persuade them as well that it was :puke:

Carsy 04-07-2010 03:31 AM

A question.
I have a good sized flatt floored boot with a full sized spare in the well underneath.
You in the USA must have a deeper boot with your run flat config ?

Sportstick 04-07-2010 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Carsy (Post 4021449)
A question.
I have a good sized flatt floored boot with a full sized spare in the well underneath.

This was a BMW action, so I don't know....our C Class has the minispare tire ("doughnut").

RLE 04-07-2010 08:05 PM

No run flats

Originally Posted by Carsy (Post 4021449)
A question.
I have a good sized flat floored boot with a full sized spare in the well underneath.

USA cars don't have run flats. As I previously stated, they have an inflated space saver. The spare tire wells are all the same.

Does ANY MB anywhere have run flats?