MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   About Faulty message 'check tail n brake lamp' (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/347102-about-faulty-message-check-tail-n-brake-lamp.html)

wanchu83 04-16-2010 02:04 PM

About Faulty message 'check tail n brake lamp'

I don't know why but my car throws me faulty error sign.
It says 'check left tail and brake lamp' even thogh there is nothing wrong with left lamp.
How do I get rid of that message? I get it everytime I turn on the ignition.
Is this fuse issue?
I have no idea, do you have any idea?

Illusive 04-16-2010 03:22 PM

Did you change any bulbs in the back? Something has to be burnt out, the error sign only comes up when it doesn't register any resistance from a bulb.

earlybird 04-16-2010 06:25 PM

I also get that message periodically, and there is nothing wrong with any of my rear bulbs. To get rid of the message, simply press the "OK" button on the steering wheel.

nikemykee 04-17-2010 04:09 AM

I used to get that message, if you have p2 with the LED tail lights you actually have an LED burnt out, just take it to the dealer and have them replace the bulb and you are good to go. I never got the message again.

f4i 954 04-17-2010 05:24 PM

check the plug thats connected to both your tail lights.
I`ve seen a few that got melted.

Originally Posted by wanchu83 (Post 4034963)
It says 'check left tail and brake lamp' even thogh there is nothing wrong with left lamp.
Is this fuse issue?

Benzo 003 04-18-2010 01:20 PM

Sounds goofy, but check the left side bulb that has the "rear fog light" element in it. Could be just that bulb and you cant see it due to not illuminating that one specifically when you check them out...

wanchu83 04-18-2010 03:14 PM

I do have led tail light, it might be just one or two led bulb burned.I will take it to the dealer next week to see If I can fix this.

earlybird 11-12-2010 03:09 PM

I recently started getting the "check tail and brake lamp" message on a regular basis.......almost daily. So, I removed the housing that holds the bulbs and noticed that the tail/brake lamps were flickering when the engine was running.

I took the car to the dealership, and they mentioned that it is a known problem that the wiring harness is faulty in some vehicles. I now have an appointment to bring in the car to get the rear wiring harness replaced. The job should should take about 1/2 day.

hitokiri89 11-12-2010 03:37 PM

Put your rear fig lights on ut might be burned out .

RLE 11-12-2010 03:40 PM

Bulb out functions

Originally Posted by Benzo 003 (Post 4037043)
Sounds goofy, but check the left side bulb that has the "rear fog light" element in it. Could be just that bulb and you cant see it due to not illuminating that one specifically when you check them out...

Is goofy. The left upper taillight filament and fog filament are one and the same. The taillight operates at a reduced voltage except when the rear fog is selected and then is at battery voltage, thus fully bright.

RLE 11-12-2010 03:47 PM

LEDs if out...

Originally Posted by nikemykee (Post 4035786)
I used to get that message, if you have p2 with the LED tail lights you actually have an LED burnt out, just take it to the dealer and have them replace the bulb and you are good to go. I never got the message again.

You are saying that just one LED out (out of seventeen) will turn on the lamp out warning?

LED's are not replaceable one by one so the entire lamp assembly must be replaced.

keith100 11-12-2010 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by wanchu83 (Post 4034963)
Is this fuse issue?

Check the right tail lamps. When I got that message (both side in a month) it was the opposite lamp that was out. Guess it depends upon how you view "left and right":nix:

earlybird 11-12-2010 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by hitokiri89 (Post 4349169)
Put your rear fig lights on ut might be burned out .

There is no rear fog light on the right side of the car. (the warning message reads "check right tail and brake lamp").

The dealership has the problem under control and it will be fixed soon.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

earlybird 11-28-2010 05:32 PM

Just an update..... The tail lights warning message has now been resolved. :)

The dealer replaced the wiring harness for the rear tail lamps, and the L/S tail lamp bulb holder.

itcrashed 02-15-2011 06:08 PM

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to share that I had the same exact problem on my right rear tail light harness.

I get a warning that my right rear tail light bulb is out - but it really isn't.
When I went to inspect the bulbs, I noticed the electrical harness was melted into the light bulb panel.

Spoke to my SA and he said that he's seen quite a few 2008s with P2 that exhibited this problem.

They replaced everything under warranty...but I wonder if the problem will creep up again over time. Seems like a poorly designed harness or poorly designed LED control board.

Dark Kent 06-02-2011 12:34 AM

Dammit just happened to me, looks like I'll be takin a trip to the dealer! Smh.......she's only a few weeks old (to me)

AkaSigFreak 06-02-2011 06:56 AM

It happened to me about two weeks ago. The SA said he was replacing bulbs and it would take a few minutes. When I came back- three employees were standing at my trunk. They "fixed it", but I don't think they replaced a harness. Since I'm getting close to warranty end, maybe I should take it back.

purefunk 07-09-2011 07:54 PM

Damn. I'm out of warranty and just got this message too. All my lights are lit as well. Wonder what this will set me back

Dark Kent 07-09-2011 09:27 PM

My lights were lit as well. I just got mine fixed they told me it was the circuit board. I'm not aware of the price bcuz luckily I'm still under warranty until november

redfox302 07-10-2011 03:16 AM

Thank God, with less than 200 miles left on my car, I got two brake light bulbs replaced without costing me a dime.

Anh1 07-10-2011 02:53 PM

i got the same message b4. i checked n NOTHING wrong w the lamps. few days later, I checked again n the break lamp on the RIGHT side was dead.... but error say "on LEFT"???

IllusionX 07-10-2011 03:09 PM

I just had this happen to me, according to my mechanic. The car alerts you before the bulb actually goes out. The lights worked fine but when we pulled them out the bottoms looked burnt out. It's just an alert to let you know to change em, they don't necessarily have to be out.

604 C63 11-10-2011 01:05 PM

Predictive warning lights that sense when failure will occur soon?

That guy has a case of "gonnahidemylackofknowlegewithbull****-itis". Although.....if its true.....MB just got a big leg up in the hotly contested tail light bulb sales race and all that costly R&D is about to pay off.

Same damn problem here.

jimmythegreek 11-10-2011 01:28 PM

as posted its not pre-emptive, its actually the cars system sensing resistance in the circuit that is not within the programmed range. I too had the problem on my 08 and it was the actual wiring harness at the bulb socket that was starting to melt. Its a know problem at every dealership. If your getting the message u can best beleive that one of your bulbs or harnesses or sockets is burnt, melted, or starting to go out

Petje 11-10-2011 02:27 PM

Had the same with my 08 W204, also my Socket was melted. Well known problem!!