MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Windshield breakage????? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/349676-windshield-breakage.html)

JimPap 05-05-2010 01:58 AM

Windshield breakage?????

I just broke my 2nd windshield in 5 months and was wondering if others are experiencing a higher than normal number of broken windshields as well.

Can't help but wonder if the windshield is more upright therefore flying rocks hit it square on rather than at a glancing angle.

I'm leaving out the time element from this poll. Although it would be good to have, it would also cause too many possibilities.

jctevere 05-05-2010 08:26 AM

I never got a broken windshield, but I have tons of little black chips that look like road grime on my windows that are chips in the glass. I have to agree with you that something is wrong with this windshield that causes easy damage.

08w204 05-05-2010 12:56 PM

I accidently broke my windshield when the wiper arm crashed back into the windshield while I was washing it... And now the replacement has a fixed, but still very visible spiderweb due to a rock strike. The replacement is OEM (installed by MB dealer) and I also have 5-6 minute chips that are too small to fix as well. I seriously think that either the glass is of poor quality or the angle/height of the windshield makes it more prone to damage than normal. In 14 years of driving I have only had one other windshield that needed a chip fixed.

JimPap 05-05-2010 05:34 PM

08w204,

I pull the wipers up too when I wash my C300. I didn't know that there was enough tention to break the windshield. That'll probably happen on the next windshield.

So far about 29% of the owners have replaced their windshields. That doesn't factor in that 3 have had 2 two broken each.

ShoremNJ 05-05-2010 10:00 PM

The NJ Turnpike is horrible on windshields. Both my wife any I travel it daily and we both have cracked windshields....ugh!

2nice4me 05-05-2010 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by 08w204 (Post 4060924)
5-6 minute chips that are too small to fix as well. I seriously think that either the glass is of poor quality or the angle/height of the windshield makes it more prone to damage than normal. In 14 years of driving I have only had one other windshield that needed a chip fixed.

Same here, this is my 7th vehicle in 21 yrs and NEVER replaced or repaired a windshield until this vehicle. About 2 weeks ago I heard a massive hit on my windshield (didnt see the rock) and left me with a "nice" dime sized chip. now i am waiting for the chip to grow to get it replaced.

this will be my second windshield in two years

Javvy 05-05-2010 10:38 PM

I too have a very tiny nick on the windsheild..........how does it cost to get it fixed by the dealer....can some one please throw some light on this..............

Krytech 05-05-2010 10:43 PM

08w204

Just got my first small chip, maybe 2mm across. Happened 2-3 weeks ago. Haven't had it repaired yet, it's down low and over on the passenger side.

mac911 05-05-2010 10:48 PM

Not broken yet (knock on wood).

However, I have a particular large amount of stone chips compared to other cars I have had at this mileage.

JimPap 05-07-2010 10:25 PM

Bump

08w204 05-09-2010 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by JimPap (Post 4061410)
08w204,

I pull the wipers up too when I wash my C300. I didn't know that there was enough tention to break the windshield. That'll probably happen on the next windshield.

So far about 29% of the owners have replaced their windshields. That doesn't factor in that 3 have had 2 two broken each.

FYI: The wiper rotated in my hand and came off of the wiper arm, which then sprang into the windshield. Just be careful not to let the wiper rotate when you pull them up and you'll (hopefully) be okay.

bigigg 05-09-2010 07:58 AM

i have 2 different chips from rocks, but thats normal.. my windshield never actually broke

Peabody 05-13-2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ShoremNJ (Post 4061865)
The NJ Turnpike is horrible

FIXED.

Peabody 05-13-2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Javvy (Post 4061941)
I too have a very tiny nick on the windsheild..........how does it cost to get it fixed by the dealer....can some one please throw some light on this..............

Cracks should be covered by your insurance under a no-deductible repair. Chips do not require replacement, and can not be repaired. Replacements should be covered under comprehensive claim with a standard deductible.

2008C300AM 08-12-2010 09:55 PM

What color are the windshield dots supposed to be on the C300 Sport?

The 1st rock that hit my windshield immediately cracked it, then I got some major stars in it as well. I got a quote from the dealer at $925 + tax, so I ended up using my insurance with a $250 deductible and had it fixed by a shop who uses OEM parts. I just got it back and the little dots that go all the way around the window and behind the rear view mirror appear to be LIGHT BROWN in the sunlight - when I always thought they were BLACK, since my car is black on black. Does anyone else have a black C300 who can tell me what color their dots are when the sun is hitting the windshield???? I'm wondering if I've lost my mind here! Thanks for the help!

jackm16a2 12-02-2013 05:23 PM

Windshied Breakage

Originally Posted by JimPap (Post 4060408)
I just broke my 2nd windshield in 5 months and was wondering if others are experiencing a higher than normal number of broken windshields as well.

Can't help but wonder if the windshield is more upright therefore flying rocks hit it square on rather than at a glancing angle.

I'm leaving out the time element from this poll. Although it would be good to have, it would also cause too many possibilities.

I have a 2012 ML350 and a 2013 GL450. I bought the ML 12 months ago and just put my 6th windshield in. My 3 year old son just shattered the original windshield on the GL with his head! Didn't even have a read mark. THERE IS A SERIOUS DESIGN FLAW WITH MB GLASS!!!

MDMercedesGuy 12-02-2013 08:27 PM

How did your son manage to get his head into the windshield?

jackm16a2 12-02-2013 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy (Post 5862562)
How did your son manage to get his head into the windshield?

He decided to race his sister out of the back by climbing over the console to the front seat, head-butting the windshield enroute.

Ron Jr 12-03-2013 12:31 PM

I have had three W204 and have had the windshield replaced once on each. The glass seems to pit very easily.

BenzManNy 12-03-2013 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ShoremNJ (Post 4061865)
The NJ Turnpike is horrible on windshields. Both my wife any I travel it daily and we both have cracked windshields....ugh!

If tris happens while in the turnpike and you can provide proof of it, there is a department in the NJDOT that will handle this and cover the cost. They don't publish this but it does exist.

MDMercedesGuy 12-03-2013 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by jackm16a2 (Post 5862625)
He decided to race his sister out of the back by climbing over the console to the front seat, head-butting the windshield enroute.

I don't think you can blame the manufacturer for this... the glass is most vulnerable on the inside due to the curvature. It doesn't take much to break a windshield from the inside.

stratman1954 12-03-2013 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 4060613)
I never got a broken windshield, but I have tons of little black chips that look like road grime on my windows that are chips in the glass. I have to agree with you that something is wrong with this windshield that causes easy damage.

Mine has the same chips. Scratches real easily too if you are not careful when cleaning it. Owned many cars and never had this. Crappy glass.

pcdsl 12-04-2013 08:16 PM

Yeah, on my 2nd windshield (W204). Less than 1 year old and it's already scratched, stained with soap marks, and many chips. I had my BMW for 10 years and never had to replace the windshield once.

jackm16a2 01-16-2014 10:06 AM

Add 1 more

Originally Posted by jackm16a2 (Post 5862389)
I have a 2012 ML350 and a 2013 GL450. I bought the ML 12 months ago and just put my 6th windshield in. My 3 year old son just shattered the original windshield on the GL with his head! Didn't even have a read mark. THERE IS A SERIOUS DESIGN FLAW WITH MB GLASS!!!

Good news! Just shattered the second windshield on the GL. Had the last replacement only a month. I guess I need to change windshield more frequently than filters.

thenew3 01-16-2014 03:05 PM

The windshields on modern vehicles are made of very thin glass to make it lighter. It's actually two very thin layers of glass with a sheet of plastic in the middle (glue on the plastic holds the glass together when it breaks so no shattered glass flying everywhere).

The last time I had a windshield replaced (a few months ago) the guy that came out had 6 other windshields on his truck for various vehicles. I chatted with him while he worked and I checked out the other windshields. 5 of the 6 were destined for cars within the last 5 model years. the 6th one was for a 15 year old car. and that one was double the thickness of the other 5.

The safelite glass guy says 90% of his work is on cars 3 years old or less. The new light weight glass is not very strong at all. He said sometimes the glass breaks before he gets to install it. He has been doing this for 25 years so is pretty experienced at it.
He says he won't be surprised if he sees me again within the next year or two.

Luckily I only have a $75 deductible on my insurance for glass coverage, and OEM parts as well. Windshield costs $1500 on my E350.