MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   C300 Tires (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/354577-c300-tires.html)

sam_kasi 06-09-2010 02:58 PM

C300 Tires

Hi there,
Great Forum. My first post here.
I have a 2008 C300W and my dealer recommended to change the back tires on my recent service. I would appreciate if you can reommend on what I need to shop for new tires.
I live in Charlotte, NC, so not much of snow here.
What I have now:
Front - Continental ContiProContact Tire 225/45 R 17
Back - Continental ContiProContact Tire 245/40 R 17

1. Is it OK just to change the back tires and leave the front tires?
2. Do I need to stick to the above tire specs?
3. Is it normal to wear the tires within 26K miles?
4. What are some other tires that give better performace/mileage than just 26K

-Thanks in advance.
Sam.

Sportstick 06-09-2010 03:02 PM

Read through all this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-bay-area.html

and then come back. You'll have different questions by then.

sam_kasi 06-09-2010 03:18 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. From the link above,
I think you recommend Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires and also change all four tires, right?
Since they dont offer MXV4 in 245/40R17 I think the other member has a valid point

"I just don't think it's a good idea consider OP said she doens't know cars all that well to go away from OE spec, you never know what will happen like dealer may blame her for change the wrong tire size and not honor warranty or tire shop may end up w/ mis-match wheels (one 7.5" and one 8.5" on the front then another 7.5" and 8.5" on the rear) not that will cause any damage, just to prevent confusion."

Do you suggest any other tires that match to MXV4 and offer in both 225 and 245?

Sportstick 06-09-2010 03:31 PM

We had a different point of view, based on a forum member who admitted to being very unfamiliar with tires and might not be vigilant on which wheel is mounted where. We wound up agreeing that these are outstanding tires for the purpose intended (comfort/quiet/durable over performance). The same tire size used on the front will fit the slightly wider rear wheels, but you would want to keep the wider wheels on the rear, and not let the tire shop randomly mix them. We don't know that there would be a problem, but this would be the cautious approach. That same tire size is used on all four wheels on the Luxury model. The loss of the originally staggered (wider rear than front tires) tires should also not be an issue for you, as your focus on comfort suggests that this performance-oriented feature is unimportant. Meanwhile, you have tires you cannot beat in the Grand Touring All Season tire cateogry. (But, be careful....some other Michelins with similar names are not as good.)

If you decided you are more performance oriented, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and Continental DWS are outstanding and do come in the staggered size...Michelin providing better dry performance, and DWS offering better snow/wet performance. And, if you can avoid snow, ice, and freezing temps, the Michelin PS2 are even higher performers, and again, outstanding!

Yes, do all four at once and dump those original equipment Contis!!

sam_kasi 06-09-2010 03:44 PM

Thanks again.
I have decided to go with Michelin PRIMACY MXV4 Tire - 225/45R17 on all four tires. I found them on Sears for $160? Is it a good price?
Below is the link to Sears webiste, can you please let me know if it's the right one?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G13

Sportstick 06-09-2010 03:49 PM

That is $10/tire less than tirerack.com, which is the usual benchmark. I think there is also a $70/set of 4 rebate from Michelin which may still be in effect.

Pete7874 06-10-2010 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sportstick (Post 4111979)
The same tire size used on the front will fit the slightly wider rear wheels,

One downside is that it would look a bit odd with a narrower tire stretched on a wider rim like that. Zero curb rash protection as well.

Krytech 06-10-2010 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pete7874 (Post 4113204)
One downside is that it would look a bit odd with a narrower tire stretched on a wider rim like that. Zero curb rash protection as well.

And it would also hinder his performance since the tire is taller.

Personally I run 225/45/17 Blizzak LM-25's all around in the winter. I did it for some additional traction in the rear. Not sure if it helps, but technically it should since the contact patch is narrower. However since OP says snow is not a concern then I would certainly NOT do this and would stick with the 245/40 in the rear.

JimPap 06-10-2010 02:03 PM

Sam,

One of your questions not answered is about these tires wearing out at 26K miles.

My 2008 C300 came with Michelin Pilot mxm4s. The car has 52,000 miles on it. The wider rear tires will likely need to be replace in another 4,000 miles. The fronts look like they could go another 10,000 miles. Truthfully, I don't do fast starts and stay within the speed limit. Translation: I drive like an old lady.

In my mind, I have to ask why you didn't get any more milage out of your tires.....which is predicated on you actually needing them. The dealership may have been trying to get you to buy tires before you need them. They should at least be worn down to the tire wear bars or maybe there is a bad place on them and that's what they were referring to.

But do take a look at them yourself as tire stores may or may not be honest about you needing them.

If you happen to be in a position of needing the rear tires replaced but the fronts can go for another year, be sure to replace the rear tires with the same brand and model number that's on there.

Sportstick 06-10-2010 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Krytech (Post 4113530)

Personally I run 225/45/17 Blizzak LM-25's all around in the winter. I did it for some additional traction in the rear. Not sure if it helps, but technically it should since the contact patch is narrower. However since OP says snow is not a concern then I would certainly NOT do this and would stick with the 245/40 in the rear.

Don't you think we're applying much too much enthusiast perspective here? He wants a comfort tire, not performance, unlike most of us. The tire fits, as you point out, and I am assuming that he wants tires that are comfortable, quiet, and provide the best traction for safety.....he's not going to inspect the appearance for any degree of stretch, which is not a problem anyway as 1010tires points out with their fit calculator. His next choice is to pick a lesser tire on the attributes he cares most about to have the staggered fit, which is low priority anyway!! You don't provide a specific and relevant reason not to do this to satisfy THIS driver with HIS wants and needs. Hinder performance? I bet he's never measured his performance with a stopwatch, which is the only way to find that degree of difference! He has a luxury car and just wants to be safe and comfortable.

BTW, my 1000th post, so I am going to take a moment.

boltsfan 06-10-2010 03:48 PM

I have the 18" AMG wheels...

Shocked the Contis lasted you that long. I got impact break on front left tire at 18k and backs are almost worn out and will need new tires in a few months.

I just put Pirelli PZero Nero A/S on front and like them so far.

Krytech 06-10-2010 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick (Post 4113666)
Don't you think we're applying much too much enthusiast perspective here? He wants a comfort tire, not performance, unlike most of us. The tire fits, as you point out, and I am assuming that he wants tires that are comfortable, quiet, and provide the best traction for safety.....he's not going to inspect the appearance for any degree of stretch, which is not a problem anyway as 1010tires points out with their fit calculator. His next choice is to pick a lesser tire on the attributes he cares most about to have the staggered fit, which is low priority anyway!! You don't provide a specific and relevant reason not to do this to satisfy THIS driver with HIS wants and needs. Hinder performance? I bet he's never measured his performance with a stopwatch, which is the only way to find that degree of difference! He has a luxury car and just wants to be safe and comfortable.

BTW, my 1000th post, so I am going to take a moment.

Congrats on #1000! :D

Yes, for better or worse, I tend to look at everything in a performance perspective.

OP, if performance is not of concern then scratch my advice. :y

Sportstick 06-10-2010 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Krytech (Post 4113830)
Congrats on #1000! :D

Yes, for better or worse, I tend to look at everything in a performance perspective.

OP, if performance is not of concern then scratch my advice. :y

Thank you, sir!!

If you haven't seen this, you will get a great laugh from an outstanding video in the link offered by RLE!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ar-forums.html

Pete7874 06-10-2010 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Krytech (Post 4113530)

225/45/17 sidewall height: 4 inches
245/40/17 sidewall height: 3.9 inches

Difference in height is so small that it wouldn't be noticeable. Not to mention, performance wasn't really high on his priority list.