MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Window Tint Suggestions (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/356329-window-tint-suggestions.html)

Dj Toobs 06-23-2010 01:59 AM

Window Tint Suggestions

1 Attachment(s)
Drop off my car today to get my windows tinted. Still undecided on the tint shade. Planning to go 22% all 5 windows and 60% front windshield. What do you think?

CureCar 06-23-2010 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dj Toobs (Post 4131334)
Drop off my car today to get my windows tinted. Still undecided on the tint shade. Planning to go 22% all 5 windows and 60% front windshield. What do you think?

Considering you are in L.A, you are going to be illegal regardless of how dark you go if you have tint on the front windows. That being said, you might as well go dark. I have 15% all the way around it in my opinion it is perfect. You cant see in the car from the outside even with my light cream leather, and it still lets you be able to see out of the car at night. I plan on having my windshield tinted soon, probably 50% but maybe 35%.

dynomite05 06-23-2010 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by CureCar (Post 4131615)
Considering you are in L.A, you are going to be illegal regardless of how dark you go if you have tint on the front windows. That being said, you might as well go dark. I have 15% all the way around it in my opinion it is perfect. You cant see in the car from the outside even with my light cream leather, and it still lets you be able to see out of the car at night. I plan on having my windshield tinted soon, probably 50% but maybe 35%.

+1 15%. I think it's perfect also. I went darker on my last car and would get pulled over every other week. Haven't been stopped with 15%...

blue00r6 06-23-2010 11:28 AM

same here... 15% (actually its 17% i guess, but was closest they had).. plus 60% on windshield.. at night you can absolutely not see in, day time with the shades open you can see in and it looks closer to 25% maybe (thats with pano roof though)

so i vote 15% + windshield @ 60-65

AntsE63S 06-23-2010 12:12 PM

this is what i have on my car 15% all around on the windows, 5% on rear windshield, and 40% on front windshield

Boris0126 06-23-2010 12:26 PM

I have 5% all around and it was not necessary to tint my front windshield cause it's dark enough and u can't see anything on the inside of the car from the outside. Im use to driving with 5% tints cause I have had it in my 2 previous cars and now on my third one. All my cars were black interior too.

jctevere 06-23-2010 12:45 PM

I'm thinking of doing 35s on my car. My friend is trying to convince me to do 20s But iwould refer to not attract any attention at all. I'm nit looking to be invisible durig the day and night. Just protection from the sun and slight obscurence of view into the car. I also never even heard of tinting the front windshield. Why would anyone do that?

Overall I want to be able to see at night through the auto dimming mirrors, and not sttract attention, but get a dark tint altogether.

CureCar 06-23-2010 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 4131762)
I'm thinking of doing 35s on my car. My friend is trying to convince me to do 20s But iwould refer to not attract any attention at all. I'm nit looking to be invisible durig the day and night. Just protection from the sun and slight obscurence of view into the car. I also never even heard of tinting the front windshield. Why would anyone do that?

Overall I want to be able to see at night through the auto dimming mirrors, and not sttract attention, but get a dark tint altogether.

You tint the windshield for the same reason you tint any other window on the car. I roll solo in the carpool lane everyday, so it is a must for me.lol

Also, you shouldnt attract to much attention with 20%. That is not very dark at all, and in my opinion 35% tint is not even worth doing.

blue00r6 06-23-2010 02:30 PM

+1 35% is very light.. and the tinted windshield is easier on your (at least mine) eyes from the inside due to less difference in light transmission in your peripheral vision.. i hate having a bright windshield and dark sides.. its much more serene inside when its all dark

BenzNY 06-23-2010 03:53 PM

If you are in NYS I would strongly suggest checking the laws regarding the percentage that is allowed for window tinting.

I know for a fact the tinting the windshield is illegal. And how do I know ?
My buddy is NYPD and writes summons for this.

chokaay 06-23-2010 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by BenzNY (Post 4132036)
If you are in NYS I would strongly suggest checking the laws regarding the percentage that is allowed for window tinting.

I know for a fact the tinting the windshield is illegal. And how do I know ?
My buddy is NYPD and writes summons for this.

Same goes for California. Ever since the budget for law enforcement (as well as everything else) got cut, it seems like police feel the pressure to write more tickets. I see many more patrol cars on the 5, 405, and other major freeways now than I did a year ago...

CureCar 06-23-2010 05:11 PM

Same goes everywhere, but some states are more lenient. Tint on the front windows are also illegal, but for me its worth the risk. Worst thing that can happen is a $100 ticket.

Boris0126 06-23-2010 05:17 PM

Ticket in NY for equipment violation for example tints is $50 and surcharge $85 total $135

snarlingchicken 06-23-2010 08:46 PM

Hmm. I'd really consider a lighter shade. My sister who also has a C350 recently got tickets for her tints, which were 20% Johnson Ray Guards. Cost was $100, along with a court date, proof of removal, etc. But she ended up fighting it seeing as she got that ticket in a parking structure at her school. (No idea wtf police were doing on private property in the first place).

I'm running 30% all around (minus front windshield) with Johnson Greystone Tint. But then again, Greystone is double-layered, so 30% looks like 20%, and 20% looks like 5%. I luckily, have not run into any trouble yet. *knocks on wood*

So basically, I would consider the area of Los Angeles you're in. East Los Angeles, no one really gives a damn. But West Los Angeles/South Bay? You might run into trouble. Irvine? You will absolutely run into trouble. >_> Also, I would consider the type of tint you put on. Tints like Huper Optik are rather light, so you could probably get away with 20% (if they make it), but lets say you're running tints like mine.....or any other black/reflective tints from Llumar, Johnson, or any other brand. Then you might want to consider a shade lighter.

Boo for California automotive restrictions.

wanchu83 06-23-2010 09:10 PM

I have 20% and cream interior and seats. I should have done 15%. if you have black interior choose between 20 and 15. if you have cream, definately do 15%.

aztec1382 06-23-2010 11:36 PM

that benz is sick

Dj Toobs 06-24-2010 02:50 AM

Picked up my car about 5 hours ago from tinting the windows and got pulled over. The officer told me that my windows were to dark and thats the reason he pulled me over. He sweated me for the front windows, but didn't say anything about the front windshield, so my 60% front windshield tint paid off. Unfortunately not the other ones.

snarlingchicken 06-24-2010 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dj Toobs (Post 4132830)
Picked up my car about 5 hours ago from tinting the windows and got pulled over. The officer told me that my windows were to dark and thats the reason he pulled me over. He sweated me for the front windows, but didn't say anything about the front windshield, so my 60% front windshield tint paid off. Unfortunately not the other ones.

LOL ARE YOU SERIOUS? WOW that is....quite...unlucky. So.....fix it ticket? Or what?

chokaay 06-24-2010 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by snarlingchicken (Post 4132853)
LOL ARE YOU SERIOUS? WOW that is....quite...unlucky. So.....fix it ticket? Or what?

Just FYI, apparently in CA there are some areas not giving fix-it tickets for tint anymore... guess they need revenue...

Hopefully OP wasn't in one of these areas... that would SUCK!

bheng 06-24-2010 04:46 AM

wow thats some major bad luck. i went with 35% all around. its light but i like it.

others say darker but thats what def gets you pulled over. a buddy was telling me he got pulled over for 20% all around but the cop said that if he had 35% he wouldnt bother. so i went with 35% to avoid a lot of the hassle.

honestly i can still get pulled over for it but there is a higher risk for darker and the risk is def not worth the reward at this point in time.

jctevere 06-24-2010 01:49 PM

Dang, this might persuade me to just get 35's and not deal with the added hassle. I will do 35s all around and 60s or something close on the windshield.

Dj Toobs 06-24-2010 04:55 PM

Front window

1 Attachment(s)
60% front windshield is so light that the police at night didn't even notice it. Here is a pic.

snarlingchicken 06-24-2010 08:25 PM

Dang. Clean looking car. Great color! Just wish I didn't have to tilt my head to look at it :P
I'm guessing you painted that grille yourself?

Dj Toobs 06-25-2010 04:04 PM

Back side

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another pic.

morph860 06-28-2010 04:22 PM

I just got mine done over the weekend. Went with 35% all the way around, I'm happy with it. Car is black on black. I had 20% on my c230 coupe. It was white with light interior - it was hard to see at night sometimes, especially when it was foggy or snowing.