MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Start sequence failure (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/356598-start-sequence-failure.html)

RLE 06-24-2010 11:52 PM

Start sequence failure

At last, a problem since I've been feeling left out what with no problems for over a year.

Stopped at my dealer for my weekly free cuppa and when I attempted to start the engine to depart, the starter would not operate. After about ten attempts which included removing and reinserting the key several times, it finally lit off. And kept working after a few shutdowns including today.

So I walked inside and accosted a service writer who just happened to have a shop tech wasting some time with him and I asked what would cause this. And whether he thought this would eventually fail completely.

The response was two of the blankest looks I've seen in recent memory when both claimed they had never seen this and had no idea.........

Well, except to bring it in so it could be plugged in etc. Very disappointing.

So, my question is, has anyone here had this EXACT starting failure and if so, what was the fix?

joshg1001 06-24-2010 11:57 PM

Im pretty sure everyone had this happen to this one time or another. Happens to me maybe twice a year. I just take out the key and then re-insert it and it usually works after the 2nd time. I dont know what the fix is.

ldtCapitan 06-24-2010 11:58 PM

I have had that EXACT failure, around December it happened to me. Although after about 10 tries or so it did get started, but come the day after, I had no luck: the car wouldn't start at all. I called roadside assistance and they towed the car to my dealer. After inspection (my dealer is TERRIBLE) they diagnosed it was the battery, so they changed it and the issue STILL happened, so they said it was my key. They swapped both my keys and it STILL happened.

FINALLY though I spoke with a tech the following day who said this problem happens often with 2008 W204s. It is the IGNITION, I waited a full 10 days for the part to come in from Germany and they changed it and now my car has been fine since.

So have them check the ignition, and frankly be prepared to wait.

Hope this helps,
Tony

blueacc333 06-25-2010 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by ldtCapitan (Post 4134123)
I have had that EXACT failure, around December it happened to me. Although after about 10 tries or so it did get started, but come the day after, I had no luck: the car wouldn't start at all. I called roadside assistance and they towed the car to my dealer. After inspection (my dealer is TERRIBLE) they diagnosed it was the battery, so they changed it and the issue STILL happened, so they said it was my key. They swapped both my keys and it STILL happened.

FINALLY though I spoke with a tech the following day who said this problem happens often with 2008 W204s. It is the IGNITION, I waited a full 10 days for the part to come in from Germany and they changed it and now my car has been fine since.

Hope this helps,
Tony

how long for the warranty?? that should cost over 1000 to fix without warranty... shoot.. I better let the dealer check it before its too late.. :)

2nice4me 06-25-2010 01:09 AM

Hope this helps,
Tony

That sucks, in the event this happens to more people, was there some TSB or some other reference on your work order?

blueacc333 06-25-2010 01:40 AM

no.... well. its seem fine.. never had that problem yet.. I HOpe NEVER"" lol.. Never trust the dealers.. Before I had a 2004 BMW M3.... I had to take that car to the dealer 4 times for one little problem... u know what.. Rear size window won't push out.. Problem: window motor modules smoked."" I had to take this to another GOOD dealer to fix this.. took me over 3 weeks.. lolz..

Krytech 06-25-2010 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 4134116)
At last, a problem since I've been feeling left out what with no problems for over a year.

Stopped at my dealer for my weekly free cuppa and when I attempted to start the engine to depart, the starter would not operate. After about ten attempts which included removing and reinserting the key several times, it finally lit off. And kept working after a few shutdowns including today.

So I walked inside and accosted a service writer who just happened to have a shop tech wasting some time with him and I asked what would cause this. And whether he thought this would eventually fail completely.

The response was two of the blankest looks I've seen in recent memory when both claimed they had never seen this and had no idea.........

Well, except to bring it in so it could be plugged in etc. Very disappointing.

So, my question is, has anyone here had this EXACT starting failure and if so, what was the fix?

Interesting. I thought I was the only one having this problem. I've been thinking of starting a similar thread for a while to see what others were experiencing. I actually just had my car at the dealer for an oil change and some other unrelated minor stuff and had them look in to this issue. They (obviously) couldn't reproduce it and said everything seemed ok so they suggested I start using my other key to see if it ever happens with that one.

My problem might be a tad bit different though. I'll put the key in, turn it to On and everything lights up as normal but when I turn it to Start nothing happens. No clicking, no nothing, not a single sound can be heard. I can try and turn it from On to Start many times, all to no avail. However, all I have to do it turn the key to off and then try and start the car again and it always starts right away. I've never had to remove the key. Just turn it to off, then try and start it again and it always works once I've done that.

Very similar but maybe slightly different then what others are reporting? :nix:

SCguy08 06-25-2010 02:34 PM

Krytech...I've had this exact same thing happen to my 350' a couple of times. No removal of the key necessary...just turn it to off one time...then she starts right up. :nix:

RLE 06-25-2010 05:40 PM

Hope this helps,
Tony

Finally, a useful post. If you still have the work order, would you check it for the part number. The description "ignition" is inadequate. Thanks.

keith100 06-25-2010 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 4135052)
Finally, a useful post. If you still have the work order, would you check it for the part number. The description "ignition" is inadequate. Thanks.

The ODI has a TSB about the EIS

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs

HTH

Arcoril 06-25-2010 09:04 PM

This also happens to 2009 C300 once or twice a month. Usually turning the key to "On" and then starting again solves it.

I've been hesitant to even bring it up with my SA since I know it's not reliably reproducible and I'm concerned that having their techs poke around would do more harm than good. I am slightly worried that the problem will get worse over time and that I'll have to get it repaired out of warranty.

RLE 06-25-2010 11:35 PM

No start

Originally Posted by keith100 (Post 4135096)
The ODI has a TSB about the EIS

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs

HTH

That site is too vague. It might refer to this specific problem but "does not start" is too non-specific. There are a lot of reasons for the engine not starting but they don't break it down.

I printed it out anyway and will ask the service manager who I know well. What I am NOT going to do is wait around for it to malfunction again and maybe need a flatbed.

Diesel Benz 06-26-2010 03:39 AM

I would guess this means the EIS.

I had a look at our bulletins when a few W204 owners reported the problem at these forums when the 204 was released to the US market but I did not find any bulletin about starting problems.

Now I had a look again and there are a couple where the starter motor runs but the engine does not start (fuel pump drive related) but this case should be different (the starter motor does not run?).

I actually found a bulletin with the title "Starter does not turn, engine does not start" but the first related complaint was listed as "Starter turns but engine does not start". :confused: Or perhaps this is only one of the few options that the driver may observe. The remedy in this case anyway was actually a new, improved front pre-fuse box. Fixes an issue with the "no-load current switch".

JimPap 06-26-2010 06:05 AM

What does EIS stand for?

dalazernet 06-26-2010 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Arcoril (Post 4135256)
This also happens to 2009 C300 once or twice a month. Usually turning the key to "On" and then starting again solves it.

I've been hesitant to even bring it up with my SA since I know it's not reliably reproducible and I'm concerned that having their techs poke around would do more harm than good. I am slightly worried that the problem will get worse over time and that I'll have to get it repaired out of warranty.

Wow, bring it in folks... I've had my car for 39k miles so far and not once did it fail to start or give me that type of problem. Get it fixed while you still can under warranty.

- Eric

JimPap 06-26-2010 07:29 AM

Can those who have had this problem post if theirs was built in Germany or if it was one built elsewhere.

Sportstick 06-26-2010 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by dalazernet (Post 4135592)
Wow, bring it in folks... I've had my car for 39k miles so far and not once did it fail to start or give me that type of problem. Get it fixed while you still can under warranty.

- Eric

+1....after a year and a half and 14k miles, not a single event on my 09.

Krytech 06-26-2010 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by JimPap (Post 4135595)
Can those who have had this problem post if theirs was built in Germany or if it was one built elsewhere.

Mine was built in Germany.

The problem I've experienced has only happened less than a dozen times in the past two and a half years and the work around has been 100% reliable which almost makes the entire sitsuation a non-issue. That said, I do want it fixed and I am on record with this problem at my dealer now. I should have about another 18mo to get it addressed before my warrenty is up.

ldtCapitan 06-26-2010 11:41 AM

Wow hey I CANNOT find the work order, I've found every single other one I have.. All I remember is the dealer changed the "ignition switch". Hope that helps

RLE 06-26-2010 07:20 PM

Electronic failure

Originally Posted by JimPap (Post 4135595)

Wouldn't matter since the electronics all come from one supplier.

Diesel Benz 06-27-2010 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 4136171)
Wouldn't matter since the electronics all come from one supplier.

+1
Exactly what I thought I'd comment.

Carzzz 06-27-2010 08:47 AM

I have this same issue!
Mostly cannot start if i rush to start the car!

Notice this about 10+ times for the past 3 months ownership!

joshg1001 06-27-2010 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Carzzz (Post 4136639)
I have this same issue!
Mostly cannot start if i rush to start the car!

Notice this about 10+ times for the past 3 months ownership!

yep, rushing is what I have narrowed it down to also. If i jump in the car, and stick in the key and quickly turn, nothing will happen. Just take your time.

phatmanrx7 02-27-2011 02:31 PM

This just happend to me at 65k miles this weekend.

I was leaving a club, and I get into my car, I turn the key to start, nothing happens. Radio doesn't even turn on. I try it on and off a buncha times and nothing. I even thought it cuda been a weak battery so even with another person jumping the car, turn the key nothing. SOO EMBARASSING!! I thought maybe the car would require more juice so I called AAA, and they came out with their tow truck, hooked up the jumper cables and nothing. I wanted to get it towed, but I needed a flatbed, and since it was raining that night, they couldn't tell me when one would be available. So I was stranded with my friends til about 3 am, til someone finally picked us up.

I come back to the car in the morning to try and start it again, and nothing. I had it towed to the shop, turns out its prob the EIS. I will know for sure on Monday. My car is outta factory warranty dammmittt. Make sure uyou guys bring it in if you ever have any problems. You wouldn't wanna be stranded if you ever had a hot date, or luckily I wasn't leaveing with any females that night! Could you imagine!

Glyn M Ruck 02-27-2011 04:51 PM

EIS, front SAM or CPS.