MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   PCMCIA - issue (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/357630-pcmcia-issue.html)

rs1985 07-03-2010 09:47 AM

PCMCIA - issue

I am wondering about one thing, might need a bit more explaining, so please feel free to ask if you don't understand about something.

I use my sd card to listen to music most of the time, and what I found annoying is, after the turn off the car, sometimes when i turn it on again, there would be 2 different situations.
1. start from where it was left off (which is good)
2. start from the beginning again.

this is a big problem for me as I download podcast and put them onto my sd card to listen. lets say the podcast is 30 mins long, if situation 2 comes up, than I would have to fastforward for a few mins before i can go back to where I was, I am wondering if people who are using PCMCIA cards have this issue? Thanks

Ronald

Krytech 07-03-2010 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by rs1985 (Post 4144692)
I am wondering about one thing, might need a bit more explaining, so please feel free to ask if you don't understand about something.

I use my sd card to listen to music most of the time, and what I found annoying is, after the turn off the car, sometimes when i turn it on again, there would be 2 different situations.
1. start from where it was left off (which is good)
2. start from the beginning again.

this is a big problem for me as I download podcast and put them onto my sd card to listen. lets say the podcast is 30 mins long, if situation 2 comes up, than I would have to fastforward for a few mins before i can go back to where I was, I am wondering if people who are using PCMCIA cards have this issue? Thanks

Ronald

I've experienced the same thing. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it either.

snarlingchicken 07-03-2010 11:19 AM

Yeah I have the same....issue..I guess. I only listen to music so I don't care for it much. But as others have noticed, I haven't really found a pattern to whether the songs start over or continue from the last point where it was at. If someone has an answer please do tell.

rs1985 07-03-2010 11:58 AM

is kinda annoying how there isn't a method or notice before it do that
hope i have explain it good enough
sorry if it sounds a bit confusing

cyberjak 07-03-2010 12:18 PM

I had a similar problem as I copy books on tapes over to CF cards and complained to my dealer service department. They claimed the problem was caused by my generic PCMCIA card reader and recommend I get the MB PCMCIA card reader so I figured I would buy MB PCMCIA reader thinking the problem would not go away and could get them to stop blaming my free after rebate generic PCMCIA card reader I got from Best Buy but the problem went away once I started using MB PCMCIA card reader and in over 9 months has not happened 1x with MB PCMCIA reader.

Not claiming you have to use the MB PCMCIA reader, but I have a felling, if we would figure out who makes the MB PCMCIA reader then more than likely that OEM card reader would work as well and cost less than 1/2 of what MB dealerships charges. The above problem might be caused by an incompatibility between difference chipsets different PCMCIA readers use.

P.J. 07-03-2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by cyberjak (Post 4144807)
I had a similar problem as I copy books on tapes over to CF cards and complained to my dealer service department. They claimed the problem was caused by my generic PCMCIA card reader and recommend I get the MB PCMCIA card reader so I figured I would buy MB PCMCIA reader thinking the problem would not go away and could get them to stop blaming my free after rebate generic PCMCIA card reader I got from Best Buy but the problem went away once I started using MB PCMCIA card reader and in over 9 months has not happened 1x with MB PCMCIA reader.

Not claiming you have to use the MB PCMCIA reader, but I have a felling, if we would figure out who makes the MB PCMCIA reader then more than likely that OEM card reader would work as well and cost less than 1/2 of what MB dealerships charges. The above problem might be caused by an incompatibility between difference chipsets different PCMCIA readers use.

Do I dare ask how much the MB PCMCIA reader cost?

cyberjak 07-03-2010 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by P.J. (Post 4144813)
Do I dare ask how much the MB PCMCIA reader cost?

The service manager got me a deal on the PCMCIA reader, So it only cost me $69.99 plus tax, which I know is a rip off still but at least it works.

I have a felling you do not need to get the MB PCMCIA reader per say just not sure how we can figure out who makes the card reader for MB or what the OEM part is as I doubt MB manufacture the PCMCIA card reader themselves nor did MB tell the OEM to use special chipset either. So if we could figure out that the MB PCMCIA card reader is really say PNY or Kingston then more than likely the same brand PCMCIA reader will work.

I have a felling just like the MB bluetooth is pretty crap and was only tested with a handful of phones the compatibility of PCMCIA slot in the head unit was only tested with a few OEM card readers or possible only the MB card reader and any other PCMCIA card readers who use different chipset are not 100% compatible with the head unit.

Best example of the above is none of the HTC 2.1 Droid phone works with MB head unit, yet the samsung, motorola and google own work just fine. HTC will not sync at all with MB head unit unless you roll them back to android 1.5. The difference as reported on Verizon forum seems to be HTC uses infinion
bluetooth chip set and Samsung, Motorola and google use Qualcomm bluetooth chipset and according to Verizon forum their is an incompatibility between infinion bluetooth chipset with SPP and many head units that phones using Qualcomm chipset do not suffer from and MB and BMW head units does not allow you to select Bluetooth standard you want to use like on many aftermarket system. So I think the PCMCIA problem could be similar to the above known issue.

I hope this makes more sense to you.

rs1985 07-03-2010 06:29 PM

so cyber is say that if we use a mercedes fbenz pcmcia, than it just follows the last time played everytime?
i just want to make sure
thanks

cyberjak 07-03-2010 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by rs1985 (Post 4145103)
so cyber is say that if we use a mercedes fbenz pcmcia, than it just follows the last time played everytime?
i just want to make sure
thanks

Well as long as you do not eject the PCMCIA card from the head unit it will resume where you last were, no matter if you switch from PCMCIA card to radio, CD, Sat Radio, Ipod or turn off the car. If you eject the PCMCIA card from the head unit then it will not resume at all.

In case it makes a difference I am using PNY 4 gig microSD card with the included adaptor to convert it from microSD to standard SD. I insert adaptor with microSD card inside into the MB PCMCIA adaptor.

I got the PNY card for free after rebate last thanksgiving at best buy.

The one I bought off from Newegg which did not work correctly was manufactured by EDUP and says 5 in 1 PC Adaptor on it and I paid like $10 for it and Newegg swapped it 1x for me thinking it was defective. I also tried one from Best buy made by Dynex which did the same thing which I returned to Best Buy.

Then a couple of month later when I took my car in for Service A I complained about it and that was when the service advisor mentioned that Mercedes only supports their card readers and memory cards.

I am not claiming the only card reader that would or will work is Mercedes PCMCIA reader. I have a felling other cards will work just fine, and it is just a matter of finding a generic or a certain brand that uses the same chipset as the Mercedes Benz one. I personally could not be bothered, so I bought the Mercedes one even tho I know that I over paid by $50 or so more than likely but I did not want to spend hours and hours testing card readers till I found one that worked correctly.

eminnet 07-04-2010 05:29 AM

I use Sandisk Ultra PCMCIA adapter without problem.
Songs start playing from where stopped.
Here is how it looks: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDDR.../dp/B00006B9QM

rs1985 07-04-2010 06:15 AM

CF card ?

franka2000 07-06-2010 01:05 AM

Real simple, I just exported 2000 contacts from my Mac address book as vcard, drag it to my PCMCIA slot card. Put the PCMCIA in my car, hit import in a matter of 2 seconds all my contacts transfer over on my address book in my 2008 MB C350.

If you need help on how to it drop me an email, I'll run you thru it, Good Luck.

rs1985 07-06-2010 04:27 AM

franka
this isn't a contact issue tho...

cyberjak 07-06-2010 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by rs1985 (Post 4147346)
franka
this isn't a contact issue tho...

Don't waist your breath that guy is a moron, he spammed the same thing to like 4-5 threads, and made 2-3 new threads. All his posts are 100% identical with no relevant info except if you have any questions please email me for more info. If he was going to make tons of new threads with different names and spam the same message to every possible thread related to Bluetooth, PCMCIA, Cellphone, UMI, or Navigation he could have spent maybe 5-10 minutes writing a detailed post explaining how to do it which would have at least been helpful.