MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Eyelids LED's Affecting Warranty? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/357918-eyelids-leds-affecting-warranty.html)

TB5... 07-06-2010 11:55 AM

Eyelids LED's Affecting Warranty?

affecting... or effecting... :nix:

anyways... so my right low beam went out recently so since im under 40,000km/2years...
i was told benz would change this under warranty.

when i went in... for a 10am saturday app:smash:...
i was told because of the fact i changed my LED Eyelids that this somehow would void my warranty.

2 1/2 hrs later... they tell me its not the bulb but the mechanism controlling the hids.

once again they said that i might have to pay for the service because i changed my leds.

i don't know much about mbenz wiring but common sense would tell me that the leds have nothing to do with the headlights. :confused:

what do you guy think...
is there some hard proof i can go back with in case they try to deny my warranty?

Krytech 07-06-2010 12:23 PM

I always screw those two up too. If I recall, typically "affect" is used as a verb and "effect" as a noun. When you affect something, you produce an effect on it.

Anyways, I'm not sure what your laws are up in Canada, but here in the U.S. the burden is on the dealer/manufacturer to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem. If they can't prove it, they can't deny your claim. That's the law here (or at least the spirt of it) but I'm sure it doesn't always play out that way.

I would suggest that if they are going to deny you that they put it all in writing, including exactly what the problem is, what part they believe caused the problem, why it caused the problem, and why they are denying your warranty claim. Once you have that in writing they you can contact your MB Canada rep and dispute it with them.

Good luck!

snarlingchicken 07-06-2010 01:20 PM

If they can prove that the LEDs are what caused your low beam to go out, then they can void your warranty. Now lucky for you, I'm sure that's a pretty long stretch for them to try and do. I'm not familiar with Canadian law regarding warranty (if there are any) but in the US of A apparently there must be a proven correlation between a modification done and the broken/faulty component to allow the dealers to void your warranty. Sadly as I'm typing this, I just read Krytech's and basically he nailed it word for word so just read his. Haha.

Worst comes to worst, you can just buy a pair of D1S/H7 bulbs and change em yourself.

AND you nailed the correct word usage. Kudos to you Krytech.

jctevere 07-06-2010 01:25 PM

Just some BS by a dealership to try to get more money. If you follow Krytech's suggestions you will be safe. There is no way installing LED's could do that to your Xenons, and even if they did, they would have a VERY difficult time proving it.

Azn_C300 07-06-2010 04:15 PM

Total BS. Shady dealer just looking for some excuse to get more money out of you. If not for your LEDs, they'd have blamed your wheels or tint or something. I've had dealers actually comment on how much better those LEDs made the front look without any threats on warranty issues. This is why unless I'm cool with the SA, I'll remove what might potentially be blamed for a Code 9.

Tell the dealer to prove to you that the LED caused your issue with your HIDs and for them to put it in writing. It's not like it's pulling any extra power or anything.

patrickkc 07-06-2010 04:23 PM

TB5, which dealer do you use? I can't start my car today and I'm still deciding if I should get it to the dealer, now that I see this thread maybe I should remove my leds or something.. incase they say my LEDs caused my car to not start?.. LOL

joshg1001 07-06-2010 05:37 PM

definately a good idea to replace the LEDs with the stock bulbs before going in. Therefore, you wont run into any of this trouble even if its not justified and you can deny any type of modding.

E92-Lighting 07-07-2010 11:43 AM

all of our LED 's have built in canbus to prevent error codes

Azn_C300 07-07-2010 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by E92-Lighting (Post 4149042)
all of our LED 's have built in canbus to prevent error codes

Error codes weren't the issue here. ALL the LEDs this forum has tried out and talk about has those.

E92-Lighting 07-07-2010 11:56 AM

there are new types that are brighter now :P

snarlingchicken 07-07-2010 11:58 AM

Like the ones a bunch of us just recently bought in a certain someone's group buy? :P

In a more related note, do post OP if the whole situation gets resolved. Hate to see even more problems down the road for you for something as blasphemous as this.

TB5... 07-08-2010 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by patrickkc (Post 4147937)
TB5, which dealer do you use? I can't start my car today and I'm still deciding if I should get it to the dealer, now that I see this thread maybe I should remove my leds or something.. incase they say my LEDs caused my car to not start?.. LOL

Its Oakville Benz...

Just got the call saying the module is in... no word on the warranty issue... ill be calling them soon.

and to be honest... i dont know why i feel i need to go to oakvill ejust because i got my car there... from now on i will most likely be goin to Mississauga Benz which is much much closer.

Originally Posted by joshg1001 (Post 4148050)
definately a good idea to replace the LEDs with the stock bulbs before going in. Therefore, you wont run into any of this trouble even if its not justified and you can deny any type of modding.

Damn i was thinking about this... but never thought they would be so picky about led's

like AZN said... i think it would be something else if not the led's...

good advice tho about getting something in writing that's exactly what ill say... good looks Krytech

Originally Posted by snarlingchicken (Post 4149068)
Like the ones a bunch of us just recently bought in a certain someone's group buy? :P

In a more related note, do post OP if the whole situation gets resolved. Hate to see even more problems down the road for you for something as blasphemous as this.

thanks man... hope so too.
:zoom: