MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Hole w/screen to left of center dash vents? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/358477-hole-w-screen-left-center-dash-vents.html)

noka 07-10-2010 03:44 PM

Hole w/screen to left of center dash vents?

Curiosity got the better of me. I searched the forum, Google, Owner's Manual but couldn't find the answer. What's the small round hole (~.75") on the dash just to the left of the center vents? Microphone for cell phone?
:nix:

aowhaus 07-10-2010 04:33 PM

yes, that's the microphone for the hands free phone function.

Rogwp 07-10-2010 04:59 PM

I read somewhere that it's the temperature sensor for the cabin, and that the microphones are in the rear view mirror.

keith100 07-10-2010 05:24 PM

+1^

Sentosa 07-10-2010 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rogwp (Post 4153739)
I read somewhere that it's the temperature sensor for the cabin, and that the microphones are in the rear view mirror.

+1

envyxc350 07-10-2010 07:00 PM

pretty sure it's the microphone, as when people can't hear me well I get closer and they hear much better.

noka 07-10-2010 07:34 PM

LOL! I found a thread where agreement couldn't be found either. I'm sure there are more. I'll just ask the SA at the next visit.
:rolf:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...icrophone.html

keith100 07-10-2010 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by noka (Post 4153650)
Curiosity got the better of me. I searched the forum, Google, Owner's Manual but couldn't find the answer. What's the small round hole (~.75") on the dash just to the left of the center vents? Microphone for cell phone?

P31 in my manual shows microphone at rear of mirror.

It sure ain't in the dash.

My Pontiac has the same little grill in the same place dash and it doesn't have a microphone.

HTH

noka 07-10-2010 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by keith100 (Post 4153973)
P31 in my manual shows microphone at rear of mirror...

Thanks. It's p.38 in my manual. Maybe the one I was asking about is some temp sensor. I'll find out eventually.

Derspeed 07-14-2010 07:47 PM

In my Saab a similar screen in a different location was a glass breakage sensor.

noka 07-14-2010 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Derspeed (Post 4159412)
In my Saab a similar screen in a different location was a glass breakage sensor.

... and yet another idea. I'm beginning to think it performs all the above-mentioned functions.
:rolleyes:

08w204 07-15-2010 12:23 AM

It's actually a microphone that only records only when you say "watch this" or "check this out" so the dealership can listen as you do stupid crap in your car so they can void your warranty... It's connected to the automatic wallet scanner in the driver's seat that runs your credit cards so the dealership knows just how much more you REALLY CAN pay for an oil change.

Everyone should do what I did: Use a large concrete drill bit and drill at least 18" into the dash through the mysterious grate to destroy the microphone. Multiple warning lights must flash on the dash to ensure you really found the heart of this system.

The wallet scanner is disrupted by methane... Ensure you eat plenty of Taco Bell and/or binge drink beer every night to ensure you're safe.

How has CNN not covered this already? Doesn't anyone believe me?!?

Carsy 07-15-2010 06:32 AM

Who said folks living in Germany did not have a sense of humour ? !!.

08w204 07-15-2010 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Carsy (Post 4159902)
Who said folks living in Germany did not have a sense of humour ? !!.

Haha, I'm an American... Just living here for a while!

polskifacet 11-05-2012 12:23 AM

Anyone find this out?

Diesel Benz 11-05-2012 04:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by polskifacet (Post 5420338)
Anyone find this out?

Anyone? How many should find it to make you happy? The question is how should forum members answer this question to make everyone believe instead of posting speculative thoughts.

See the attached document showing HVAC component locations and make up your mind.

BlackjackM 11-05-2012 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by 08w204 (Post 4159687)
It's actually a microphone that only records only when you say "watch this" or "check this out" so the dealership can listen as you do stupid crap in your car so they can void your warranty... It's connected to the automatic wallet scanner in the driver's seat that runs your credit cards so the dealership knows just how much more you REALLY CAN pay for an oil change.

Everyone should do what I did: Use a large concrete drill bit and drill at least 18" into the dash through the mysterious grate to destroy the microphone. Multiple warning lights must flash on the dash to ensure you really found the heart of this system.

The wallet scanner is disrupted by methane... Ensure you eat plenty of Taco Bell and/or binge drink beer every night to ensure you're safe.

How has CNN not covered this already? Doesn't anyone believe me?!?

Awesome post :)

BlackjackM 11-05-2012 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz (Post 5420489)
Anyone? How many should find it to make you happy? The question is how should forum members answer this question to make everyone believe instead of posting speculative thoughts.

See the attached document showing HVAC component locations and make up your mind.

Diesel Benz knows his stuff :bow:

The best part of this post is thinking of all the people who talk into their temp sensor so people on the phone can hear them better :p:

RLE 11-05-2012 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by noka (Post 4153650)

Cabin air temp sensor.

All MBs with climate control have had this going back as far as you want to. There is usually a small fan that draws in air past the sensor which is at the inner end of a soft duct.

RLE 11-05-2012 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by BlackjackM (Post 5420547)
Diesel Benz knows his stuff :bow:

The best part of this post is thinking of all the people who talk into their temp sensor so people on the phone can hear them better :p:

When in fact they are just getting closer to the mike which is near the mirror.

awstansbury 11-05-2012 07:41 PM

If it was an air temperature sensor, wouldn't there be one on the passenger side as well? Dual-zone climate control...

RLE 11-06-2012 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by awstansbury (Post 5421378)
If it was an air temperature sensor, wouldn't there be one on the passenger side as well? Dual-zone climate control...

What do you mean "if it was"? It has been proven that it's the temp sensor.

Dual Zone means you can turn the temp up or down separately each side.

awstansbury 11-06-2012 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 5422626)
What do you mean "if it was"? It has been proven that it's the temp sensor.

Dual Zone means you can turn the temp up or down separately each side.

Sorry, I didn't know it was proven.

I'm under the impression that the dual-climate zones are thermostatically-controlled -- each side of the cabin reports temperature and the HVAC system responds accordingly, adjusting air temperature up or down to meet the setting. If the temperature of the cabin as a whole is known, and not each side, then each side "fights" to lower or raise the temperature relative to the set temperature. Seems inefficient, but I guess that's the way they do it.

jctevere 11-08-2012 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by awstansbury (Post 5422946)
Sorry, I didn't know it was proven.

I'm under the impression that the dual-climate zones are thermostatically-controlled -- each side of the cabin reports temperature and the HVAC system responds accordingly, adjusting air temperature up or down to meet the setting. If the temperature of the cabin as a whole is known, and not each side, then each side "fights" to lower or raise the temperature relative to the set temperature. Seems inefficient, but I guess that's the way they do it.

Well I would assume that the temperature sensor is only used for the AUTO function of the A/C to maintain a cabin temperature. When the two thermostats do not match, I would guess that it tries to match the average (net cabin temperature) of the two thermostats?