C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White 2009 C300 Sport
so i could get this for the fronts
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Infinity-Kapp...item3cc022f14c

and this for the rears?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/INFINITY-KAPP...item589211dca4

why did u give me two different numbers for the fronts and rears?

also i would just pull off the door panels and replace my stock speakers with these ones or is there more too it? i do not have a clue when it comes to car audio,
Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 AM

c300
Originally Posted by kHuNkHuNa
so i could get this for the fronts
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Infinity-Kapp...item3cc022f14c

and this for the rears?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/INFINITY-KAPP...item589211dca4

why did u give me two different numbers for the fronts and rears?

also i would just pull off the door panels and replace my stock speakers with these ones or is there more too it? i do not have a clue when it comes to car audio,
its a retrofit i actually paid to install them... it cost me 100 to installed 4 of them...( i beleive front or rear he drilled couple of holes to installed but no damage nothing can been seen...
i gave you 2 front and 2 rear you can either pick one from front and same on the rear...
i am happy with the sound (same speaker you just posted)... i have alpine type R 500rms i never blasted to full but i am happy with the clean bass ... i would adv you can search on this forum about the sound system or try google it and it will bring you to this forum (thats how i got in threads)...
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 PM

2011 c300 sport
So excited.I just ordered the infinity Kappa for front and rear and can't wait to get it all installed..already have the alpine pdx600 amp and a Jl audio 12w3.
Thanks everyone for the info on what to buy!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:56 AM

White 2009 C300 Sport
hey bro can you please do a before video and an after video with these speakers ?!, i am highly considering it and just want to know how much a difference it will make i want my speakers to be louder,
Old 07-01-2012, 08:17 AM

2011 - C-300 Sport 4MATIC - Palladium Silver
I need help here.

I have a 2011 - C300 Sport - unfortunately WITHOUT the HK upgrade. I have the Audio 20. I see that for the last 2yrs most threads on this are still recommending Kappa 60.9 for the front and either the 62.9 or the 6032si for the rear.

I'd like to simply improve sound without any modifaction that will alter the main console and controls/knobs.

1) Are the Infinnity still the best speakers for this? Are there any better speaker options that simply fit in as the infinity's?

2) I understand several people have installed the 62.9 in the REAR without major issues, even though, crutchfieled and other folks say they don't fit. Apparently there's just a bit more involved in the install. Can someone tell me the acoustical difference between the 62.9 and the 6032? Leaving price aside, which speaker is better for the REAR?

3) Has anyone added an AMP and kept the Main Console functions and knobs/controls?

4) For those of you that added a subwoofer. Please share the best location and install tips that keeep distortion/rattling to a minimum.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
@jcreal: quick answers -

1) The Infinity's are recommended based on their quality and high efficiency, remembering that the Audio 20 only has 25 watts available per channel. Infinity is part of the HK group, and has a long history of high quality original car equipment installations. The brand is unimportant, everything else is.

2) The 6032si fit perfectly in the rear, and have no sonic issues (they are just fine!)

3) Because of the Infinity's high efficiency, no extra amp is needed. Other fine speakers such as the Focal's and the JL's are much less efficient and will need an amp.

4) An efficient location for the sub would be under the rear shelf, with the LF driver firing directly into the cabin. However most subs are too large, or in the case of the Infinity Basslink, are "two-sided" having an active driver on one side and a passive radiator on the back, meaning that most of these self-powered subs will just be set up in the trunk. Reducing "distortion" is a question of the quality of the sub and how high it is set (another good reason to mount it under the rear shelf and fire it directly into the cabin), plus proper setting of the phase and low pass filter controls. Rattling - again if extremely high bass levels are sent into the trunk with no inlet into the passenger cabin, some rattling is inevitable. The rear shelf installation was free of rattles upon initial installation, however over these 2 years seems that there is now a gap between the sub and the shelf, adding a thick gasket and tightening again should solve this.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 AM

thanks Acapulco Bill - the folks at Infinity owe you big time.. I'm sure plenty of MB owners followed this thread and upgraded using your expertise.

On a side note, i read a few of your posts on the ipod volume issues. My C-300 has the Audio20 with UMI - do you know or read if the UMI has an iPod volume control menu? Connecting the iPod directly to the adapter has a significantly lower volume than if I connect the iPod using the Aux input.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
I have the original MB iPod Interface, which had an engineering oversight any first-year EE student would discover, in that the volume was down 6 - 10 dB. To remedy this, MB came up with the iPod Amplifier, which plugged in between the Interface and the iPod.

Unfortunately, the dealer installation used a Chinese-sourced iPod amplifier, this thread describes my ordeal:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ff-beware.html

which was solved by purchasing a German manufactured unit overseas. Now everything is fine.

First make sure your iPod is on volume "8" and equalization on "POP". If the volume is still low, then go to the dealer who installed the UMI and insist on getting them to give you the iPod Amplifier which should have been included. If this doesnt work, a new GERMAN one can be had for $65, make sure the UMI accepts this.

Shows you how LAME the MB audio department is, these engineering screwups are found in almost every MB model and demonstrates that MB really doesnt give a sh-t about the quality of there technology or electronics. BMW, Audi and even FORD are decades ahead even in their least expensive offerings. Even Hyundai make MB look just sick.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:42 PM

Well almost there.. just orderd my new toys today. Here's what I got:

Front: INFINITY KAPPA 60.9CS
Back: INFINITY KAPPA 62.9I
Sub: BOSS BASS1400 1400W LOW PROFILE

I'll update everyone later with pics and how the install went.

Funny how I never bought this car thinking to improve audio. It all started with how weak the volume was when I played music from my iTouch connected directly to the iPod adapter.

For all you out there looking to improve iPod Volume. Here is a menu option you need to get familiar with if you have the same car I have. I own a 2011 C300 with Nav + 4 UMI Navigation (UMI is in glovebox with iPod/iPhone Interface, USB Interface, AUX Interface) WITHOUT the HK sound system upgrade.

Menu: Press BACK, CENTER KNOB, and CLR at the same time until menu comes up on your dispaly. These 3 buttons are in the center console between the driver and passenger seat. (see attached pic)

One you're in the menu you can configure Volume levels for your iPod, Aux, USB separtely. There is also a main Volume that you can configure. I set iPod Volume to the max: 8 and FINALLY i can listen to music from my iPod with a decent volume level. We'll see how it all sounds with my speaker upgrade.

You can also get into the ENGINEERING MODE that Acapulco Bill talks about earlier in this trail and play with parametric setting. I haven't played with those yet but I plan to do so after my speaker install.

Hopefully, this will be a decent sound upgrade without going to crazy. I hope the low profile bass boss 1400 delivers a decent amount of bass and I can call it a day.

I'll update everyone soon.
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2012, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@jcreal: The Boss Bass1400 is a monster, about twice the size (16 x 17 inches) physically as the Bass600 that fit so neatly under the rear shelf (14 x 10). Suggestion, since this sub wont fit under the rear shelf, perhaps installing it flat against the middle of the rear seat where the armrest is, and cutting a hole or removing material so that the speaker fires directly into the cabin? One could always store the armrest, and then what a surprise!!!

What you describe to increase the volume is the AUX BOOST setting? Didnt know that was available in the 2011 or with the UMI.

Last edited by Acapulco Bill; 07-02-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:44 PM

GLK 350
hi jcreal

That sounds like a fantastic plan. Hope your upgrade goes well. Are you planning a DIY or going to a shop?

Also, how would you hook up the sub (audio signal, wires, power etc) and where would it be located? I would love to do exactly the same upgrade that you listed on my 2010 GLK. the stock speakers just suck endlessly. Any reason for chosing the boss sub?

Anyone know a good shop near Indianapolis or Chicago to get custom audio done? I also need to retrofit xenon lights.. Suggestions are very welcomed! Perhaps the same place can handle both!

thanks a lot
Old 07-02-2012, 04:48 PM

@Acapulco Bill - you really know you're stuff.. it's about 16x12... just when I thought I did my homework. I just went by images and thought it was the same size as the bass600. Just cancelled the order for that sub and went with the bass900. I just want something simple right under the rear shelf.

thanks again for saving the day.

as far as the AUX BOOST.. it's not the BOOST setting option I've seen where you simply select boost... that menu controls Volume levels for iPod, Aux, and USB individually from 1 to 8.. each one can be configured seperately. I'll take a pic when I'm in the car and share it.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:04 PM

@wirshad - I'm definitely not doing a DYI here. I'm looking for a reputable shop here in the NY-CT area. If I can't find one then I'll just have the dealer install it and take the hit on labor --- no specific reason for this sub other than it's been recommended by other users in this forum and that it fits pefectly in the rear shelf.

funny you mention retrofit xenon lights - as soon as i started this audio/sound upgrade.. xenon lights and radio detector came to mind to get it all under one install. Here's what i found that I'm seriously considering on the lights.

Spyder Projectors for C-300

Also worth looking at these.. http://shop.lightwerkz.net
Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 AM

2008 MB C 300 4Matic Sport
Heres a tidbit for anyone who has the audio 20 without ipod integration/german amp and is very unhappy with the aux volume. I recently purchased the PHP Audio Sound Shocker inline amp and it is terrific.(I saw a post about it where the owner/creater replyed and I saw Bill say he recommends it after I had already bought the item) I actually wondered why it took me so long to find a solution for the volume problem after listening to the increase in sound. Im very happy with the purchase and finally like listening to my Ipod again after almost a year of owning my w204. Been awhile since my first post on this same thread but months after my DIY Infiniti speaker install the speakers are still great, it is for sure worth the time and money spent. Now if I could only find a way to control my Ipod Via radio/steering wheel controls without buying the integration kit i'll be set.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:09 PM

2011 c300 sport
Can anyone share there parametric settings to get the best treble and mids?I have the 60.9 in front and 62.9 in rears and a 12 inch w3 sub.so get my bass from that but want the loudest treble I can get.hate how quick you get to Max volume on this system..
Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 PM

GLK 350
hi all

I just got the kappas installed in my 2010 GLK with audio 20 system. While it is 100x better than stock speakers, there is absolutely no imaging or graceful flow of sound. You can pinpoint all separate woofers and tweeters. I did the parametric eq stuff in engineering mode. Helped a bit but not much. just a travesty.

Overall, not happy with the sound in the car. Spoiled by the Logic7 system in my 550i (sold).

Is there any way to set time delays/phases or make the sound harmonious? Its just a garbage mixture now. Stock speakers were so bad that it didnt matter much. Now with better speakers, the horrible sound imaging really stands out..

I tried the filter settings too but the speakers will only produce sound in "flat" mode i.e NO tuning of hi/lo and roll-off. I am not sure why that happens. the roll-offs could have improved the sound a little bit.

any suggestions? looking into getting audison bit ten but would prefer not to!! it is crazy expensive once you start adding amps, subs etc etc.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@wirshad: Takes at least 20-30 hours of use before the drivers break-in. Out of the box they sound very dry and strident. Their tonality will improve.

HOWEVER even though these speaker's wave-launch characteristics are superior to the HK drivers, the sound will in NO WAY be similar to the highly-modified DSP of the Logic 7 5.1 system. So if that is what you liked in the Hk system in your old 5er, then there are several car DSP add-on systems, however all of these will require the replacement of the stock Audio 20 headunit.

Here is a primer and make sure you've got deep pocket$.

http://www.ehow.com/how_11215_add-surround-sound.html

Reminding everyone who reads this extensive thread that the objective was to maximize the sound quality within the capacity of the stock Audio 20 headunit, NOT to compete with the HK Logic 7 system. Said striaght-up: "This thread proposes simple, inexpensive solutions to a bad situation". Having other vehicles with the HK Logic 7 system, I can only say that the sound experience is different, and for critical audio listening 5.1 is NOT the way to go. Maybe for movies or an impeccably-recorded live concert.

And if Mr. wirshad ever buys another 5-series, the audio system pumps in fake exhaust sounds, as the car doesn't generate any excitement by itself. Is there a parallel to the Hk Logic 7 5.1 sound system in this?
Old 07-14-2012, 07:53 PM

GLK 350
@ acapulcobill: i agree with you that critical listening surely needs a nice stereo setup. however, in the car it is difficult to achieve that due to seating and equipment limitations (speaker location, quality, amp etc). also the "critical" part of listening is nearly impossible while focusing on the road!

about HK L7 system, there is the JBL MS-8 that does L7 DSP. but then you will also need an amplifier or two. a better route might be the Audison Bit Ten, also needs amp. any advice on which route you recommend? I need to keep the head unit for steering wheel controls, bluetooth, telephone, ipod, usb, GPS etc.

does anyone know why the speaker gets disabled when the filter is enabled (hi/lo pass, roll-off) in engineering mode? I played with the settings a long time but no go. speakers only work (produce any sound) in flat mode (zero filtering). hit "tune" and no sound! I think it is probably has something to do with the infinity crossovers installed with the kappa speakers. still does not make much sense. the freq band was widest possible and still no sound.

I believe there are three options for those not satisfied with audio 20 and kappa 60.9cs/62.9i setup:
1) JBL MS8 (harmon kardon Logic7 DSP, auto-calibration with included mic)
Cost = $500 + amp =< $700
2) Audison Bit One or Bit Ten (endlessly customizable)
Cost = $350 + amp =< $550
3) Audison or Hertz amplifier with hi-level speaker inputs and advanced filtering. Coupled with kappa speakers, should sound pretty sweet.
Cost = $300

i will wait a week or two to allow the kappas to break-in and see if tonality and sound harmony improves. if not, then will consider one of the above three options, depending on the input from you guys and audio shop/installer.

cheers
Old 07-14-2012, 07:58 PM

GLK 350
@bill: the e60 V8 generated plenty of excitement! did not have the fake exhaust notes, thats new crap for new 5ers. however, horrid weather and family needs led to GLK. sadly, could not find one with premium sound (L7) even remotely within my budget. in 2010 and 11, it was part of $3000 multimedia package. it became separate addon in 2012 onwards for a very reasonable $800..
Old 07-14-2012, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@wirshad: Audio is like food - First the taste and then the texture. So the priority is getting all the frequencies reproduced without distortion and everything in relative balance. The texture, here the equivalent of DSP or Logic 7 processing and 5.1 surround, changes the acoustics, equalization, phase and delay to fool the ear/brain into thinking it is in an different acoustical environment. I recently experienced a SOTA 3DHD TV demo with passive glasses, not only is the eye/brain environment convincingly fooled, the parallels with audio are self-evident.

You are entirely correct, even with the speaker upgrades and a sub, a car is not the place for critical listening. This plus road noise, driver distractions, etc. make the whole sonic experience rubbish. And you are right to think "why not turn this compromised audio environment into something more... fun?"

About the parametric equalizer (NOT to be confused with a multi-band or graphic equalizer), will obviously not work while adjusting it because basically it is a computer algorithm you program to digitally alter a digital signal, which cannot be done in "real time". You can only alter the programming, then playback and observe the results. One must also be reminded that the purpose of a parametric equalizer is to adjust for gross frequency response peaks and valleys, it is not a tone control, rather it is a defect fixer.

Installing a DSP or logic system - The Audio 20's integration into the rest of the W204's electronics and controls necessitates that one must use the final amplifier output as the INPUT into the DSP and then to amplifiers and finally the speakers.

I am no expert on current recommendations, having been disappointed in the late 1960's with the Dynaco DynaQuad surround system, in the late 1970's with Bob Carvers Holographic preamplifiers, and Sony's DSP preamp integrations of the late 1980's. Dolby Pro Logic for encoding 4 channels from a stereo soundtrack was introduced in 1987. None of these IMHO produced a convincing transportation to a realistic sound environment experience.

Current DSP technology such as the HK Logic 7 beginning around 2002 can create a "different" sound environment for the car which is quite impactive. However one can only hope that a reliable car audio installer can demo and quote the price of some systems that are TO YOUR LIKING as buying boxes and amps and installing them DIY may be cheaper but also perhaps disappointing. Give the Infinity Kappas 20 to 30 hours to break in. Also play ONLY CD's or Apple Lossless NOT MP3's which is a highly compromised sonic format. After that, if the sound still has the wrong texture despite the accurate taste, then go shopping to satisfy both your ears AND your wallet.

An aside, recommended is going to a BOSE retail store if one is in your area, and ask for the full demo of the BOSE TV. Surprises are to be had. DSP at its best, although the gritty slicing of the midrage to get the 3D phasing effects, would make this listener go for a separate system. The BOSE TV will satisfy many for its simplicity and reliability in installation. I am saving my $ for 3DHD though, however it's not intended for the W204!!!

Last edited by Acapulco Bill; 07-14-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM

so i finally got this speaker upgrade installed on my 2011 C300 Sport with the following:

Front: INFINITY KAPPA 60.9CS
Back: INFINITY KAPPA 62.9I
Sub: BOSS BASS1400 1400W LOW PROFILE

install went smooth with some of the guides in the forums and using a RE-Q 3 channel - high/low converter -- http://shopping.huscypquxu.com/mtxaudioreqv.html

Initially, I wasn't impressed at all. Yes Volume was louder and better but it sounded distorted at higher levels.

So then I started to play with Parametric Settings and changed them to some of the ones posted in this thread. HUGE DIFFERENCE -which leads me te believe this upgrade probably wasn't necessary. I think if you adjust the parametric settings on the stock system you will get decent results.

Overall this retrofit is a cost efficient way to improve your sound and keep everything looking stock. However, we're talking about a 10 to 15% increase in audio quality/levels at the most.

I would suggest you play with Parametric Settings first and find out if stock speakers still don't perform better.

Having said that, does anyone have experience with Parametric Settings? It would be helpfull if someone can share Parametric EQ settings that are appropriate for this retrofit.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by jcreal
Initially, I wasn't impressed at all.

you have to let the spekers break in......................
Old 07-17-2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by caligreenzzz
you have to let the spekers break in......................

we shall see.. we shall see..
Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
Takes at least 20-30 hours of use before the drivers break-in. Out of the box they sound very dry and strident. Their tonality will improve.
theres nothing to see, they need to be broken in.....
Old 07-17-2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by caligreenzzz
theres nothing to see, they need to be broken in.....
yes I heard the same thing about the stock speakers - "give them a chance to break in" - well one year later and they sound the same - but hey new ones are installed so I'm sure they will have plenty of time to "break in" - hopefully it works out

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade