MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/358865-w204-third-party-component-speaker-upgrade.html)

ICON 1 07-13-2010 12:13 PM

W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade

Has anyone changed the front original speakers for a 2009 C300 with a full set of after market component speakers that fit perfectly? If yes what did you do with the crossover module for the third party component speakers? Since the original speakers are components they probably have a crossover module somewhere in the system factory installed. is it necessary to install the crossover from the third party component speakers? Can I properly run the third party component speakers using the factory installed crossover module?

Sully 07-13-2010 01:41 PM

Looking at a wiring diagram, there is a factory crossover installed somewhere in the system. There's just one set of outputs that power both the woofer and tweeter. If you're wiring a set of comps, you could utilize this xover. I suspect that the xover points will be different though.

The only problem I can see is if the xover point is lower than what the tweeter can handle. Playing at loud volumes will damage the tweeter.

ICON 1 07-13-2010 02:43 PM

That what I was afraid of. This would mean I should change the factory installed crossover to the third party's for exact crossover point settings. Do you know where the factory crossovers are installed? I remember reading in another thread there was a mention of a filter being installed in the door panel. Do you know if "filter" is another terminology for the crossover?

Sully 07-14-2010 06:19 AM

I'm not sure where it's installed. But the solution is actually simpler than you think. If you can figure out what wires are the ones you need coming from the HU or amplifier, then use this as inputs to the xover.

Then run new wires to the speakers. It may be a pain in the ass to get through the waterproof link between the door and the cabin. This will ensure that you bypass the factory xover.

ICON 1 07-14-2010 10:43 AM

Thanks for your input. Sounds a bit more complicated than I would like to handle. Even though there are comparable or better high end speakers at a much better pricing than the HK upgrades I think I will go the easy route of Vic Viper in changing out for the HK upgrades.

kevinwithdabenz 07-14-2010 12:07 PM

check the DIY thread Vic Viper did aftermarket speakers

Derspeed 07-14-2010 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by kevinwithdabenz (Post 4158850)
check the DIY thread Vic Viper did aftermarket speakers

Didn't he upgrade to MM front speakers?

ICON 1 07-15-2010 06:14 AM

Yes I did check Vic's thread on front speakers. Very informative and he went with the upgraded HK speakers which is still an option if all options are exhausted. Has anyone changed the front door speakers from component to 2 ways? If yes how did it work out?

Sully 07-15-2010 09:05 AM

Upgrading the speakers isn't as difficult as it sounds. I would support trying something other than the HKs, as I intend to.

ICON 1 07-15-2010 01:26 PM

Thanks for your feedback. Will look into it further and make a decision on which way to go. I do agree with you about trying something other than the HKs. I think they are overpriced and for half the cost something better can be had. But for retrofit convenience it still is an option.

Akadan 07-16-2010 09:48 PM

Aftermarket speakers - rear described fronts are easier but the same method

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...fit-howto.html

ICON 1 07-17-2010 06:17 AM

I have read that thread and it is for installing 2 ways in the back and I am highly considering it when I change the backs. If I was replacing the front with 2 ways it would be an easier fit. I still prefer to put components in the front as the manufacturer had designed it for but would like to find out where and how the crossovers were installed by anyone that has done a third party component replacement.

Akadan 07-17-2010 10:06 AM

2 Ways in front and back

I installed the very same speakers in the front as well.
I also upgraded the tweeters in the doors to the HK units that Vic Viper has mentioned in his HK upgrade threads.
The front and rear doors have plenty of room to install 3rd party crossovers in several places. The crossovers tend to be very light and although one might think it otherwise the double back foam tape has extraordinary strength on flat surfaces and provides cushioning to prevent any rattles from road bumps or heavy base.
Good luck with your choices it is definitely worth the effort.

ICON 1 07-17-2010 10:20 AM

Appreciate your input. I spoke to Crutchfield to get additional information but they were not much help. They did confirm that a "filter" is another terminology for a crossover. In one of the other threads I read they referenced that the filter is in the door and easy to find. Did you find the filter and replace it with the crossover from the third party components? If yes what are the colored wires and their equivalent polarities?

whiteongrey 07-17-2010 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Akadan (Post 4162513)

Great "how to" !! This really is a great solution!

ICON 1 07-18-2010 04:52 AM

Akadan, I just re-read your pdf (great info and I will follow this for the rears) & replies and realized that you installed 2 ways in the front lower with the HK tweeters in the uppers. How does it sound with the 2 ways in the front? In re-reading your forum on the subject you stated that if you had a chance to do it again you would install components in the front, do you have any suggestion for me on how to install the crossover using the existing factory wiring? I spoke to Crutchfield and they told me that I would need to re-wire from the head unit.

Akadan 07-18-2010 11:39 AM

Speaker retrofit

The 2 ways are installed in both front and rear to provide consistent frequency response all around and smooth the mid-range transitions.

The 2 way tweeter has a button to either enhance or reduce the 'volume' balance between the bass speaker and the tweeter itself.

The button on the tweeter is easily reachable through the grill with a paper click if you want to hear the difference after you have reassembled the door panels.

High frequencies are very directional and the tweeter are adjustable in their position to try and achieve the best output direction given the very low door position the speakers are in.

The button on the tweeter is easily reachable through the grill with a paper click if you want to hear the difference after you have reassembled the door panels.

The ECM in the head unit provides all the MB cross over adjustments that one would ever need. Just take some time and adjust one frequency range at a time to get a sense of how you like each adjustment.
There are only 2 wires in each door panel area with no visible cross over unit since the standard MB speakers are just one way.

The key to the wiring is consistency in the between the front and rear and right and left to ensure the 'phase' of the speakers are the same.
Really this just means the speaker cones are move in and out in the same direction at the same time. If the speakers are out of phase, the right cone moving out while the left is moving in will be very noticeable in the sound quality.

After doing this research I discovered that Infinity makes the same size speaker with a component tweeter as separates. This separate tweeter appears to be the exact same size as the HK unit. So I could have saved another $80 by buying this setup versus the HK tweeters initially.

Not withstanding this the cost to do this was Very cheap indeed compared to the HK options and I could not be more pleased with the sound quality.

whiteongrey 07-18-2010 02:28 PM

Did you have do do much adjustments to the sound / mixer setting via the eng menu or was it pretty good straight away?

Thanks.

Akadan 07-18-2010 05:58 PM

Adjustments

Actually made just a few adjustments.
Part 2 of the DYI shows the actual values I have after the install to help as a good starting point for others.
The main change was to drive the lower bass frequencies much harder since the Infinities can handle these very well without sounding boomy, the bass response is like a tight drum.
Everyone's preferences vary and I listen to a lot of classical to modern jazz to rock.

ICON 1 07-18-2010 07:47 PM

Akadan, thanks again for taking the time to share your expertise and experience. So the crossover for the Audio 20 is in the headunit itself, correct? If I install a pair of third party components in the front would I need to install the crossovers as well? Since there is a crossover in the Audio 20 headunit would this work efficiently with the third party components? If not then would I connect the existing speaker wires (after removing factory speakers) to the crossover and then from the crossover to the third party components?

From your research which model of Infinity components has the tweeters that are the same size of the HK?

Since you installed the HK tweeters in the tweeter housing and 2 way Infinities in the front doors did you find the sound to have too much on the highs?

whiteongrey 07-20-2010 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Akadan (Post 4164363)
Actually made just a few adjustments.
Part 2 of the DYI shows the actual values I have after the install to help as a good starting point for others.
The main change was to drive the lower bass frequencies much harder since the Infinities can handle these very well without sounding boomy, the bass response is like a tight drum.
Everyone's preferences vary and I listen to a lot of classical to modern jazz to rock.

Thanks a lot. I just ordered for fr & rear - looking fwd to this upgrade.

Sully 07-21-2010 06:21 AM

Different speakers will have a different response. The EQ settings may not be exactly the same.

ICON 1 07-22-2010 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by whiteongrey (Post 4167132)
Thanks a lot. I just ordered for fr & rear - looking fwd to this upgrade.

What did you order?

whiteongrey 07-22-2010 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ICON 1 (Post 4169799)
What did you order?

2 sets Kappa 62.9i

ICON 1 07-22-2010 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by whiteongrey (Post 4170833)
2 sets Kappa 62.9i

I would be interested to know how the install went and the sound results? Especially with the extra tweeter in the fronts.