MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Broken doorhandle... (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/361810-broken-doorhandle.html)

2nice4me 08-03-2010 10:24 PM

Broken doorhandle...

1 Attachment(s)
After returning from lunch today my passenger (left rear) couldn't get out. The inside handle was "loose", there was no connection to the rod/device that actually unlocks the doors. using the outdoor handle worked fine.

Haven't read anything like it here before. Another one of those little issues that one would not expect.

jctevere 08-04-2010 02:05 AM

This might sound dumb, but did you check to make sure the "child lock" feature wasn't enabled. If you look at the acutal door when its open there is a little manual switch next to wear the door contacts the u-bolt on the frame of the car. One position is for child lock, meaning that even if the doors are unlocked, the inside handle can't open the door, only the outside handle. It sounds like that is the case, because if the locking mechanism was broken I doubt the outside handle would work...

EDIT: After viewing the picture after signing in, it appears that it somehow did come undone from the locking mechanism. I would still make ure that child lock isn't enabled, but it looks like you might have to take a trip to the dealer. I hope your still in warranty!

laneshift 08-04-2010 02:09 AM

If you're not still in warranty, simply pop off the door panel. Should be a cable with a hook. Either it popped off and needs reconnecting, or it snapped.

2nice4me 08-04-2010 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 4189532)
did you check to make sure the "child lock" feature wasn't enabled. ...

EDIT: After viewing the picture after signing in, it appears that it somehow did come undone from the locking mechanism. I would still make ure that child lock isn't enabled, but it looks like you might have to take a trip to the dealer. I hope your still in warranty!

That the first thing the advisor said as well :) nah it is really loose from the locking mechanism. Sucks, having to listen to comments about my car now :smash: Oh well, no big deal really. Just annoying

vic viper 08-05-2010 02:27 AM

This is a pretty common problem, the inside part on the handle where the cable is hooked brakes off.

Unfortunately you cannot replace just the handle, you need a new door panel.

Carsy 08-05-2010 03:38 AM

Vic, What causes it to break ? Is there or could there be a home remedy fix ? . It does not fill me with confidence for the future!!

JimPap 08-05-2010 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by vic viper (Post 4191275)
This is a pretty common problem, the inside part on the handle where the cable is hooked brakes off.

Unfortunately you cannot replace just the handle, you need a new door panel.

Translation.....big bucks.

vic viper 08-05-2010 04:20 PM

There is a loop on the handle where the cable latches on, the loop is made of plastic and breaks, (see red line on picture).

There is a temporary fix, I have done three of these and they are still holding together.
You need to drill a small hole ~1mm in diam through the arm just below the cable hole (blue line), glue the broken part back on using CA, then thread a thin steel wire through the drilled hole, wrap it around the broken glued part and twist it together to apply pressure to the assembly.

http://www.geting.se/image.php/256587-door.jpg

RLE 08-05-2010 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 4189532)
This might sound dumb, but did you check to make sure the "child lock" feature wasn't enabled. If you look at the acutal door when its open there is a little manual switch next to wear the door contacts the u-bolt on the frame of the car. One position is for child lock, meaning that even if the doors are unlocked, the inside handle can't open the door, only the outside handle. It sounds like that is the case, because if the locking mechanism was broken I doubt the outside handle would work...

If it's a 2008, there is no child lock, but just an oblong hole where it might be located.

2nice4me 08-05-2010 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by JimPap (Post 4192004)
Translation.....big bucks.

Lucky that it is still under warranty, but yeah sure doesnt feel good when it is considered common.

I'm sure this line gets used a lot, for 'Mercedes I wouldn't expect that to be common', never had this happen on other cars (other then when it was caused by some thief breaking into my car). Would suck if it happens every 2 years.

Vic, I wonder whether it would make any difference if i ask the dealer to use some (ducktape) enforcement before they put the panel back on?

2nice4me 08-05-2010 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 4192091)
If it's a 2008, there is no child lock, but just an oblong hole where it might be located.

True, 1 point deduction for the SA to even ask me that (he should know this), Another point off for not calling me back :)

JimPap 08-06-2010 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by vic viper (Post 4192075)
There is a loop on the handle where the cable latches on, the loop is made of plastic and breaks, (see red line on picture).

There is a temporary fix, I have done three of these and they are still holding together.
You need to drill a small hole ~1mm in diam through the arm just below the cable hole (blue line), glue the broken part back on using CA, then thread a thin steel wire through the drilled hole, wrap it around the broken glued part and twist it together to apply pressure to the assembly.

http://www.geting.se/image.php/256587-door.jpg

Vic...does it look like that hindged piece isn't properly lubricated causing the plastic part to stress and fail? Might be worth opening the panel to lubricate it before it breaks.

vic viper 08-06-2010 03:16 AM

No, it is lubricated and runs freely, I think its caused by failure in the material.

The newer doorpanel is improved and wont break.

Carsy 08-06-2010 03:39 AM

Many thanks Vic. Great post.

JimPap 08-06-2010 07:12 AM

2nice4me,

What year is your C300 and where was it manufactured?

2nice4me 08-06-2010 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by JimPap (Post 4192880)
2nice4me,

What year is your C300 and where was it manufactured?

@Jim Pap: 2008 built in Germany.

@ VicViper: Would they use the new version on a 2008 then?

vic viper 08-07-2010 03:43 AM

Afraid I do not know the breaking point.

Stevedotmil 07-21-2011 08:41 PM

Okay so this is a super old post but this just happened to me when my wife and I were both grabbing door handles to open the doors at the same time. She got hers out all the way while mine was still half way in and the car unlocked automatically causing the driver handle to dangle freely. My car is a 2010 C300.

morph860 11-14-2011 12:19 PM

This just happened to me, 2010 C300. Passenger side door. Were you guys able to get this fixed under warranty, or did you have to come out of pocket?

acr2001 11-14-2011 12:59 PM

Have to say, ever since I got my 2012 I've noticed that the interior door handles are cheap garbage. It was one of the first comments my friend made when he got in the car. His Hyundai has much sturdier door handles. Very strange that no one at MB corrected this during development. They wiggle like cheap junk. The rest of the interior (since being redone) is pretty damn good though.

morph860 11-15-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by acr2001 (Post 4916883)
Have to say, ever since I got my 2012 I've noticed that the interior door handles are cheap garbage. It was one of the first comments my friend made when he got in the car. His Hyundai has much sturdier door handles. Very strange that no one at MB corrected this during development. They wiggle like cheap junk. The rest of the interior (since being redone) is pretty damn good though.

In my 2010, most of the silver stuff in the interior is crap. The rings around my cupholders have chipped away, the door handles are cheap plastic. Never had this problem in my older Mercedes or my Audi.

Making a service appt today, hopefully it's under warranty.

Stevedotmil 11-16-2011 05:04 PM

Yeah I gym ky six speed shift knob replaced because it chipped and cut my hand and now the cup holder surround is chopping off. I though I was done with stuff like this when I stopped driving a KIA.

On a side note I went to the dealership in Columbus, GA and was very annoyed. My dealership in Columbia, SC gave a loaner car when I had warranty work done. The SA didn't even look at the car to get the part ordered and then call me when it was in to get it changed out. He wanted me to leave my car there and have a driver bring me to work and back. I'm trying to figure out how much more inconvenient thy could make things. I know I don't drive a 100K S class but really? Sorry for the rant.

morph860 11-23-2011 09:53 AM

Dropped the car off this morning. S.A. just called, they do have to replace the whole passenger side door panel.

Covered under warranty. Sounds like it'd be pretty expensive if I had to come out of pocket.

acr2001 11-23-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by morph860 (Post 4930006)
Dropped the car off this morning. S.A. just called, they do have to replace the whole passenger side door panel.

Covered under warranty. Sounds like it'd be pretty expensive if I had to come out of pocket.

If I remember correctly, door panels on the W203 were in the ball-park of $800. Probably similar for W204.

Stevedotmil 11-24-2011 07:13 AM

I'm hoping that this doesn't ever happen again.