MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   MERCEDES INTERFACE PLUS!! Available for 2009 and beyond! (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/370056-mercedes-interface-plus-available-2009-beyond.html)

joshg1001 10-05-2010 07:59 PM

MERCEDES INTERFACE PLUS!! Available for 2009 and beyond!

YES! thank god.

Mercedes-Benz Media Interface Plus is a plug & play entertainment solution for vehicles with iPod / MP3 Media Interface¹. It enables you to take your world of music and entertainment with you on the road. From iPod® playlists, videos and Pandora® Radio to Bluetooth® Audio Streaming and mobile contacts, make your driving experience uniquely yours. Create your own driving world today!

Features of the Media Interface Plus include:

Pandora® Radio for iPhone® (3G, 3GS, 4)

Steering wheel buttons and the central controller will allow you to listen & control the Pandora® app.
Playlists can easily be accessed and songs be given a "Thumbs UP" or "Thumbs DOWN".

Bluetooth® Audio Streaming

Audio content or the Pandora® app can be streamed wirelessly from your mobile phone.
Functionality limited to central controller and track selection.

iPod® / iPhone® Audio & Video²

Browse & play audio and video files on a connected iPod® or iPhone®.

Phonebook Download

Transfer contacts to the COMAND system via business card import.

Mobile Device Charging³

Charged via mini USB Adapter.

Finally the 2009 people dont get screwed over for not waiting for 2010. I believe everything shows up on the nav screen so you need the multimedia package. No word on how much though. Sorry to the 2008 people.

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...patability.pdf

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...ts/accessories
http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...a-Playlist.jpg

Joearch 10-05-2010 08:16 PM

How much does this cost

Is this software or hardware?

rodbeezy 10-05-2010 08:22 PM

i was hoping to avoid at all costs getting an iPhone since I was getting ready to hop on the Android bandwagon...but this might change things.

rodbeezy 10-05-2010 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Joearch (Post 4284351)
Is this software or hardware?

From the FAQ: http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...AQs_v5_MIP.pdf

Taking it literally, it looks like its a different cable, but I would assume some kind of software update isn't out of the question.

Arcoril 10-05-2010 08:33 PM

The MY2009 eligibility is extremely misleading. The compatibility matrix in the PDF states that all MY2009 w204s with the Multimedia Package are compatible. However, what they really meant to say is that vehicles with the 518 media interface option are compatible. 518 was available in Canada for MY2009, but not in the US.

In the US, the 518 media interface option became part of the Multimedia Package in MY2010. To keep the price comparable to the previous Multimedia Package from MY2008-2009, the Multimedia Package no longer included the Harmon Kardon speakers but added Sirius along with the media interface. iPod connectivity was only available to US MY2009 cars via the hackish iPod aux interface kit.

So, unless you have the media interface (or can find a place to retrofit it), media interface plus is not a simple plug and play solution.

joshg1001 10-05-2010 08:39 PM

^^ aww man. lol.

Im thinking its both a software update and that external plug and play device.

on the generation benz surveying, i remember them asking us what we were willing to pay. I think its in the $300s

mac911 10-05-2010 10:16 PM

You need *NO* software update if you have an eligible car.

You order the device, plug it in (in between the interface and your iphone), and then you have the added features. I.e. you unplug the media cable in the car, plug the media cable into this device instead, and plug the cable of the device into where your media cable used to go. Then the media cable plugs into your iphone as before (but with the new device "in between."

I made that sound terrible, but it's easy.

It's plug and play.

Shop around. I got mine for $224, when retail is $300. Dealers will probably have to order it for you though. It's in the parts distribution centers right now.

joshg1001 10-05-2010 10:21 PM

^^ do you have this in the 2008 C or the 2009 SLK? did you have the media interface to begin with?

zankok 10-06-2010 01:05 AM

whats with mercedes trying to to make me get an iphone

itcrashed 10-06-2010 11:05 AM

So what do you think distiguishes a 2008 MM Package from 2009, 2010, and 2011?

I have a 2008 and want this feature!

Arcoril 10-06-2010 02:03 PM

In the US, 2008 (and 2009 despite what the compatibility chart shows) models didn't have the Media Interface option available at purchase. Media Interface Plus requires the Media Interface.

As far as the COMAND head unit goes, there is no difference. There are a handful of independent shops that can retrofit the Media Interface to 08 and 09 vehicles, which would then allow you to use Media Interface Plus. If you're going to be in Southern California, Rocco's Auto Tech in Costa Mesa has a Star Diagnostic System that can do this. I haven't had any luck getting dealers around me to recode vehicles.

GHAZAN 10-06-2010 02:32 PM

Any link to the media interface plug? I have a 09 with the 057Ipod Integration kit with the low volume and MM package.

jaeguyoon 10-06-2010 03:24 PM

Can someone give me a just a yes or no answer, I'm getting confused. My car is s 08 with Command and has the white ipod cable in the glove compartment. Can I get this or no?

Arcoril 10-06-2010 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by jaeguyoon (Post 4285601)
Can someone give me a just a yes or no answer, I'm getting confused. My car is s 08 with Command and has the white ipod cable in the glove compartment. Can I get this or no?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: If you find a place that will retrofit the Media Interface (code 518) first, then yes, you can plug Media Interface Plus directly into that.

GHAZAN 10-06-2010 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Arcoril (Post 4285664)
Short answer: No.

Long answer: If you find a place that will retrofit the Media Interface (code 518) first, then yes, you can plug Media Interface Plus directly into that.

So unless you have a 2010, it can't be done without retrofit?

Arcoril 10-06-2010 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by GHAZAN (Post 4285503)
Any link to the media interface plug? I have a 09 with the 057Ipod Integration kit with the low volume and MM package.

The Media Interface (code 518 and a prerequisite for Media Interface Plus) is available from a number of places online. This is an example of the kit you're looking for.

Obtaining and installing the kit isn't difficult. The SCN coding to tell your COMAND system that it has a Media Interface is the hard part. I haven't been able to find a dealership that can do this, but some independent shops are able to.

Arcoril 10-06-2010 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by GHAZAN (Post 4285669)
So unless you have a 2010, it can't be done without retrofit?

That's correct for the US market. Canadian models had the Media Interface option become available partway through the 2009 model year. I think that's where the 2009 compatibility confusion stems from.

jaeguyoon 10-06-2010 04:20 PM

any US based online stores selling that retrofit kit?

Arcoril 10-06-2010 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by jaeguyoon (Post 4285735)
any US based online stores selling that retrofit kit?

They don't have it up on their website, but you might want to call Mid City Engineering to see if they'll ship you a kit and guide you to a local place that can code it for you.

mac911 10-06-2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by joshg1001 (Post 4284606)
^^ do you have this in the 2008 C or the 2009 SLK? did you have the media interface to begin with?

Yes I bought it for the 2009 SLK. 2009, 10 & 11 SLKs can have it if you have P1, because P1 included 518 Media Interface.

2008 C can not have this.

Of course, a 2008 C WITHOUT Multimedia can get the $2000 installed Nav+4 device that includes bluetooth streaming.

Honestly, what are you guys so excited about the PLUS about? Is it the bluetooth streaming? I was excited about it at first, thus my quick order. However, when you get down to it, it's not that exciting. Pandora is cool, but I have Sirius, and my phone connection cuts out sometimes, so Pandora won't really work great.

Bluetooth streaming is very cool, though your battery can be ate up as it's not connected when left in your pocket. Plus, I think then your phone is not paired with the main head unit for phone calls.

I'm regretting my purchase honestly.

jaeguyoon 10-06-2010 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Arcoril (Post 4285776)
They don't have it up on their website, but you might want to call Mid City Engineering to see if they'll ship you a kit and guide you to a local place that can code it for you.

Thank you so much! you've been a great help! :bow::bow::bow:

joshg1001 10-06-2010 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by mac911 (Post 4285822)
Yes I bought it for the 2009 SLK. 2009, 10 & 11 SLKs can have it if you have P1, because P1 included 518 Media Interface.

2008 C can not have this.

Of course, a 2008 C WITHOUT Multimedia can get the $2000 installed Nav+4 device that includes bluetooth streaming.

Honestly, what are you guys so excited about the PLUS about? Is it the bluetooth streaming? I was excited about it at first, thus my quick order. However, when you get down to it, it's not that exciting. Pandora is cool, but I have Sirius, and my phone connection cuts out sometimes, so Pandora won't really work great.

Bluetooth streaming is very cool, though your battery can be ate up as it's not connected when left in your pocket. Plus, I think then your phone is not paired with the main head unit for phone calls.

I'm regretting my purchase honestly.

well coming from an 09 with just the ipod integration kit in the glove box, I hate having to reach over and plug in my phone, and then control it through the instrument cluster. Seems like for 300 dollars, this will solve my problems. Though now im not sure it can even be done.

mac911 10-07-2010 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by joshg1001 (Post 4286629)
well coming from an 09 with just the ipod integration kit in the glove box, I hate having to reach over and plug in my phone, and then control it through the instrument cluster. Seems like for 300 dollars, this will solve my problems. Though now im not sure it can even be done.

Better to get cheap ipod and leave in glovebox. Keep your phone in pocket.

After all, you won't be able to easily control with bluetooth streaming, with it, you have to use the phone's touch screen, which isn't safe unless you set it to where you want before you get in.

Joearch 10-09-2010 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by mac911 (Post 4284597)
You need *NO* software update if you have an eligible car.

You order the device, plug it in (in between the interface and your iphone), and then you have the added features. I.e. you unplug the media cable in the car, plug the media cable into this device instead, and plug the cable of the device into where your media cable used to go. Then the media cable plugs into your iphone as before (but with the new device "in between."

I made that sound terrible, but it's easy.

It's plug and play.

Shop around. I got mine for $224, when retail is $300. Dealers will probably have to order it for you though. It's in the parts distribution centers right now.

Where did you get it for $224?

mac911 10-14-2010 05:58 PM

I'm going to be selling my MEDIA PLUS.

It isn't so good in a SLK, when you don't have Multimedia.

1) There isn't much room to plug it in

2) Bluetooth and Pandora work fine

3) I just don't need bluetooth and pandora really.

I have all the original packaging and of course you know it's like new as it just came out.

I paid $223.50 plus $20-odd shipping.

However, I will sell it for $223.5 including fedex Ground Shipping.

Retail is $299!!

PM me if interested.