MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   55w DDM HID - Amazing!!! (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/371574-55w-ddm-hid-amazing.html)

jctevere 10-17-2010 04:23 AM

55w DDM HID - Amazing!!!

I just wanted to let everyone know I just got the 55w 8000k HID kit form DDM two days ago and installed it that day. I didn't get the error canceler, or the relay harness, so it was like $56 including shipping to my house (across the U.S.) I had my friend help me install it, the first bulb on the driver side took like 30 mins to figure out, but I finally accomplished it. I had to drill a hole in the dust cover, but it came with a plug that insulates it perfectly. Been running the install for two days and no problems. I had to get some double sided 3M tape though and mounted the ballasts on each corner on the plastic fender liners underneath the metal frame.

I will take pictures soon, but I just wanted to let everyone know that these are great. No problems, no errors on dash, light up every time and don't flicker, look amazing! They are not a perfect color match with AZNc300 or AZN optics 8000k LEd eyelid bulbs, because they are 55w and are a little bit whiter ( the brightness flushes out some blue color), but they still look great! I would recommend installing passenger side first as it was much easier and you had a lot more room to maneuver. The whole install took me under an hour, and neither me or my friend had ever installed one before... These are very small "slim digital ballasts" which made all the difference. My friend who helped me install it bought a kit for double the price from HID today? I think? and the ballast are huge and analog and his lights flicker and make weird noises. I would go with the DDM kits, they are cheap, have lifetime warranties and are a very high quality product.

At first I thought I had a faulty ballast because the lights weren't turning on, but it turns out I had to reverse the wires that plugged into the socket (positive and negative, as they were backwards).

I am very pleased with how it all turned out, I will post pictures soon, and if I run into any problems, I will update this post to inform you all. But i doubt that I will at all...

kirillbenz22 10-18-2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 4303865)
I just wanted to let everyone know I just got the 55w 8000k HID kit form DDM two days ago and installed it that day. I didn't get the error canceler, or the relay harness, so it was like $56 including shipping to my house (across the U.S.) I had my friend help me install it, the first bulb on the driver side took like 30 mins to figure out, but I finally accomplished it. I had to drill a hole in the dust cover, but it came with a plug that insulates it perfectly. Been running the install for two days and no problems. I had to get some double sided 3M tape though and mounted the ballasts on each corner on the plastic fender liners underneath the metal frame.

I will take pictures soon, but I just wanted to let everyone know that these are great. No problems, no errors on dash, light up every time and don't flicker, look amazing! They are not a perfect color match with AZNc300 or AZN optics 8000k LEd eyelid bulbs, because they are 55w and are a little bit whiter ( the brightness flushes out some blue color), but they still look great! I would recommend installing passenger side first as it was much easier and you had a lot more room to maneuver. The whole install took me under an hour, and neither me or my friend had ever installed one before... These are very small "slim digital ballasts" which made all the difference. My friend who helped me install it bought a kit for double the price from HID today? I think? and the ballast are huge and analog and his lights flicker and make weird noises. I would go with the DDM kits, they are cheap, have lifetime warranties and are a very high quality product.

At first I thought I had a faulty ballast because the lights weren't turning on, but it turns out I had to reverse the wires that plugged into the socket (positive and negative, as they were backwards).

I am very pleased with how it all turned out, I will post pictures soon, and if I run into any problems, I will update this post to inform you all. But i doubt that I will at all...

Nice! post some pics I need to do the same im really looking for a cheap HID solution also can you link the set you got from their website?

Amaxm 10-18-2010 11:43 AM

Got the same kit (kinda) too... 6000k and the error cancelers... should be here in a day or two... if you can, take some pictures... I'd be interested in the hole for the dust caps...
Oh, also have the AZN's to install - bought the 5000k's...

beau24 10-18-2010 02:35 PM

Yes, for sure, please post pics! I have an 06 CLS 500, should I go with the 35W or 55W kit? Local shop is willing to install. I'm going to order the 5K kit for low beams. Did you do your fogs too?

Does anyone know about the "Xenon=Present" option in STAR diagnostics?

Amaxm 10-18-2010 02:43 PM

Here you go... I would wait until after the install as some people have had no issues at all with flickering, like the OP's. I'll post up in a day or two after my install. Main projector housings will accommodate the 55w - fogs use the 35w for reduced heat build-up, ergo no melted fog housing...

Here's a post that explains xenon = present...

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...e-product.html

Originally Posted by beau24 (Post 4305960)
Yes, for sure, please post pics! I have an 06 CLS 500, should I go with the 35W or 55W kit? Local shop is willing to install. I'm going to order the 5K kit for low beams. Did you do your fogs too?

Does anyone know about the "Xenon=Present" option in STAR diagnostics?

C300Kid 10-18-2010 02:48 PM

I'm interested in seeing the 8k bulbs...I have the 6k DDMs and I think even those are a TINY bit bluer than I'd like..not bad though. I think part of it is the super yellow eyelids contrasting with them. I need to get my leds in.

Amaxm 10-18-2010 02:56 PM

The higher you go, the bluer they get - 8000k's throw a lot more blue than the 6000k. 6000k is the floor for bright white with little or no blue. You need to get some 5000k LED's from AZN for your eyelids to match your 6000k HIDS... no more yellow and as bright as you can get without all the blue...

Originally Posted by C300Kid (Post 4305992)
I'm interested in seeing the 8k bulbs...I have the 6k DDMs and I think even those are a TINY bit bluer than I'd like..not bad though. I think part of it is the super yellow eyelids contrasting with them. I need to get my leds in.

C300Kid 10-18-2010 03:45 PM

Ya I know thats why I'm curious to see the 8k..they must be crazy blue. I imagine they look..interesting lol.

jctevere 10-19-2010 12:20 PM

Haven't had a chance to get good pictures yet. Here is a picture from my old halogen tinted 8000k bulbs: http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMG_0076.jpg
And here is the one with the 55w HID 8000k kit:
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMG_0130.jpg

They are taken from the same camera (my iPhone) and have the same LED eyelids installed. You can tell it is much brighter because the iPhone adjusted the picture so that the LED is darker and the bulb is still significantly brighter than the old tinted halogen. The light output on the GP thunder halogen was crap, I could barely see anything. Now I can see everything and the road is light up just as well as on my g37 with oem HIDs. You can tell the bulb doesn't exactly match the 8000k LED though, it is close enough for me, but because it is 55w and not conventional 35w, some of the color is washed out by brightness.

I will take some better pictures soon and of what I did to the dust cap covers for you guys. But this kit is amazing. Been a few days now and I am still very pleased! No flickering, start up every time, no errors, only takes about 3-4 seconds to get to full brightness (like most all HID do). Just to set it straight, I have ONLY the 55w HID bulbs and 55W HID ballasts, no wiring harness relay, and no error cancelers needed. Not sure if this is the case for 35w kits.

To comment on the heat. These are much cooler than my 55w halogen stock bulbs that came on the car. I was actually concerned about how hot my lamin-x over my headlights were getting. Now, they are only just warm to the touch and I am not concerned at all...

This kit is purchased from DDMtuning.com, our vehicles use the H7 bulb kit. I think it was like $56 out the door including shipping to my house.

Cycosis 10-19-2010 01:33 PM

Did you buy the adaptor cables, or just the bulb and ballasts? And we run H7s right?

jctevere 10-19-2010 04:11 PM

No need to use any adapter cables? Just the bulbs and ballasts, I simply ordered the 55w 8000k H7 kit.

Now that I am thinking about it, I did run into a slight problem when installing it. The clips that hold in the headlight wouldn't fit around the DDM h7 bulb. After a little dilberation, I discovered that if I turned it over to the other side they work perfect. It is simple, you just squeeze the end where it is hinged together and the pegs pop out of the bracket, then you just turn it so that the "U" portion of the clip doesn't go towards the bulb, but go outwards, and squeeze it back together to snap it in. It is a little hard to explain but when you look at, you should understand what I am saying. Do the passenger side first, it is much easier to see everything.

Cycosis 10-19-2010 04:47 PM

^Thx, putting in the order now :)

jctevere 10-19-2010 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cycosis (Post 4308505)
^Thx, putting in the order now :)

If you're getting DDM, make sure you get the digital slim ballasts here:http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

08SEA300 10-19-2010 05:09 PM

^ Just ordered that exact set! They'll be in the car saturday morning, can't wait! Thanks for this thread, helped me make up my mind.
I went with 6000K 55w, fwiw

Cycosis 10-19-2010 07:05 PM

Thats what I got thx

Amaxm 10-20-2010 03:15 PM

Just got my set today, waiting to see your cap fix... pls. post !!! Tnx, M.

08SEA300 10-21-2010 05:55 PM

My 6000K DDM 55w arrived today and are in my hand as I type. Was going to install tonight.
Anything I should know? I installed HIDs on other vehicles before, but I'm not sure if there may be a catch with the mercedes.

Hopefully no errors come up on my 08, I didn't get the error cancelers or anything but the slim ballasts.

08SEA300 10-21-2010 09:46 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but I just got finished the install of DDM's 55w 6000K kit and I love it! Took an hour and a half from start to finish.
I came up with this idea for the caps. Since the DDM kit supplied the rubber grommet I just got out a hole saw and drilled a 1" hole in the cap.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...h/ab6ee476.jpg

Fwiw, I own a 2008 C300 sport and installed the kit without the error eliminators or any other tricks. I just pulled out the stock H7s wired it all together, tested it, and I'm having no issues. No errors, no flickering, and all 55w of greatness!
Slim ballasts tuck away greatly, and the kit was quality through and through.
Another fan of DDM here!

x942k6 10-22-2010 06:12 PM

i found two different sets on ddm site~ which one did you guys get? what are the difference?!

1. http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
2. http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit
which one is better???

any help would be appreciated : )

huir 10-22-2010 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 4303865)

So according to your experience, no HID harness or error elimiator is required? I am gonna order mine and wondering if I need those two. Thanks for the help;

x942k6 10-24-2010 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by 08SEA300 (Post 4312795)
My 6000K DDM 55w arrived today and are in my hand as I type. Was going to install tonight.
Anything I should know? I installed HIDs on other vehicles before, but I'm not sure if there may be a catch with the mercedes.

Hopefully no errors come up on my 08, I didn't get the error cancelers or anything but the slim ballasts.

congrats on your new hid!!!
ok...now heres my problem...I just installed mine set today ( i got it from hidextra.com) and wondering if i am the only one getting this "black spot" in the light pattern:word:

can any of you guys post some pics of your light patterns(ex:facing a wall)?
Am i the only one having this problem??

thanks in advance :zoom:

Samieee 10-25-2010 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by x942k6 (Post 4317000)
congrats on your new hid!!!
ok...now heres my problem...I just installed mine set today ( i got it from hidextra.com) and wondering if i am the only one getting this "black spot" in the light pattern:word:

can any of you guys post some pics of your light patterns(ex:facing a wall)?
Am i the only one having this problem??

thanks in advance :zoom:

The bulbs were probably inserted improperly. Re-insert the bulbs and see if that helps

jctevere 10-26-2010 12:06 PM

I finally got picutres of the install. I will get them later on the site. I got the slim digital ballast. The Raptor ones are cheaper and not digital, thus, you will probably get light out errors, flicker, and not always turn on. Get the digital slim ones for the extra $10.

I do have a bit of a dark spot on the lower left side, but when I turn on my fog it disappears. The best way I can describe it is that it is right beyong my pillar in my left field of vision. I have to check my bulb, because the other side is perfect, and the driver side is the one I did first and had a tough time with.

EDIT:
Here is the album of a bunch of pictures I took of the install. http://s774.photobucket.com/albums/yy26/jctevere/

Hopefully you can all see it. I adjusted my light beam pattern because the oem setting was way to low (accomplished with screw driver in the white hexagon shaped thing behind headlights)

clkcadet 11-01-2010 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 4308413)
No need to use any adapter cables? Just the bulbs and ballasts, I simply ordered the 55w 8000k H7 kit.

Now that I am thinking about it, I did run into a slight problem when installing it. The clips that hold in the headlight wouldn't fit around the DDM h7 bulb. After a little dilberation, I discovered that if I turned it over to the other side they work perfect. It is simple, you just squeeze the end where it is hinged together and the pegs pop out of the bracket, then you just turn it so that the "U" portion of the clip doesn't go towards the bulb, but go outwards, and squeeze it back together to snap it in. It is a little hard to explain but when you look at, you should understand what I am saying. Do the passenger side first, it is much easier to see everything.

Just wanted to double confirm.... No error canceler needed? You just bought the 55w slim ballasts? I am deciding between 35w and 55w but this might make my choice easier as there are no extra cables needed.

2010C300newbie 11-01-2010 03:46 PM

C300 HID Install...?'s

Do you have pics from your install?

I have a 2010 C300 Sport, and want to install the HID's & Eye lids.

I heard that removing the bumper is necessary to install HID's is this true?

Thanks.

:bow: