MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   accessing menu to increase max volume (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/374108-accessing-menu-increase-max-volume.html)

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 12:05 PM

@08SEA300: Do you have the iPod interface or are you just using AUX input?. Will have to go back into the Engineering section and figure out which adjustment can increase the AUX volume, as it wasnt so marked. And where are you in South Jersey?

08SEA300 11-15-2010 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill (Post 4352590)
@08SEA300: Do you have the iPod interface or are you just using AUX input?. Will have to go back into the Engineering section and figure out which adjustment can increase the AUX volume, as it wasnt so marked. And where are you in South Jersey?

I'm using the AUX input for now, I'm looking forward to possibly swapping to the iPod interface.
I live 15 minutes from Atlantic City. Close enough, but far enough lol
Where are you located?

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 12:47 PM

The iPod Interface commandeers the AUX input upon installation, and although a novel toy, I have come to use Playlists as a lifesaving measure, running through the speedo interface is a dangerous distraction between the very high speeds and driving hazards (rocks, cows, bridge washouts, bandits, etc). If setting the iPod on volume "8" results much lower than the radio, it may be necessary to fix it, or maybe not. As the analog signal is reconverted into digital, the Audio 20 digital preamp will just keep adding more gain as you turn up the volume, so in the last analysis, maximum output at the speakers will be achieved. Just that dynamic range is sacrificed, and if you are using MP3 format instead of Apple lossless, you have already thrown away nearly half of your dynamic range to begin with (thats just one way MP3 saves space). Lived in Moorestown, NJ for 20 years, and in Mexico since the 70īs, currently in Acapulco.

rugereagle 11-15-2010 04:06 PM

I purchased the IPod Integration kit and now have the functionality of controlling my IPod touch via the steering wheel controls-my question is does anyone have insight where I could purchase the IPod Lineamp for a 2009 C300 (W204)? I too am having the volume issue and the code mentioned above has no affect on it-I feel this is the only solution.

Speakerz 11-15-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by 08SEA300 (Post 4352538)
My 5" screen doesn't look like that... Looks like the 08s might have less options.
I could be wrong though

Hey, I am with you. I saw the Standard or Boost menu in the loaner car (2010 C300) but not on my own (2009 C300). I didn't think about that until I read this post. Is anybody familiar with the issue? Is this an update everybody should get?

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 05:36 PM

@rugereagle: You local MB dealer will sell one iPod Amplifier new for $65 (it should have been included in the iPod Integration installation, insist on it for free), there is a previous post with the part number
A204 870 3994
GET THE GERMAN ONE the one sourced by MB from China doesnt work, period.

whacko77uk 11-15-2010 05:37 PM

I have a Sept 2010 car and also don't have this boost volume just the sound option to adjust base trebble n speaker.

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 05:43 PM

@whacko77uk: This is just too strange - cant believe that the Audio head is spec'ed differently for Europe than the US or even Mexico. If you have the original Audio 20 manual, it should state exactly where Boost is. Will reverence publication and page number later.

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 06:09 PM

@ANYONE whose screen does not look like the photos in Post #24 - This unit has a 6 CD changer inside, maybe the 1 CD changer lacks this menu option.

whacko77uk 11-15-2010 06:30 PM

Strange! I have the 6 cd changer also and the UMI which adds the iPod and Navi.

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 06:46 PM

@whacko77uk, the if you lack this screen option and you think the iPod volume is low, get the MB part number A204 870 3994 and make sure it says "Made in Germany" NOT China.

whacko77uk 11-15-2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill (Post 4353281)
@whacko77uk, the if you lack this screen option and you think the iPod volume is low, get the MB part number A204 870 3994 and make sure it says "Made in Germany" NOT China.

Thanks I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully a simple install.

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 07:15 PM

Yes, the iPod amplifier goes between the UMI interface box and the cable that plugs into the iPod, its plug-n-play. Just get the cover under the glove box open and there it is, although as mentioned earlier, perhaps you already DO have an iPod amplifier, but it is sourced from China and is defective.

rugereagle 11-15-2010 08:38 PM

I managed to get the IPod Integration kit online from a reputable seller (Genuine MB) unfortunately the Lineamp referred to is a seperate part number-this is probably why several folks have had to return to the dealer to have it installed after the Integration kit. Acapulco Bill, you're right, I will obtain one from the dealer "German" and have the shop who installed the Integration kit add the amp-they were referred to me by my MB Dealer, the integration kit was a snap (for them :-))

08SEA300 11-15-2010 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill (Post 4352689)
Lived in Moorestown, NJ for 20 years, and in Mexico since the 70īs, currently in Acapulco.

Very cool! I know I like where I am :D

I hope I can get this whole sound issue figured out... I'd love to have the best possible sound out of what I have.

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 10:05 PM

@08SEA300: This music and audio professional refused to drive his C300 for six months while resolving the sound issue. No HK stereo is available in Mexico in the various models of the W204 except in the C63. After a lot of frustration, time and effort (the expense is secondary and under $300) the system is truly excellent. The C300 now has sound that rivals, and costs less than (!!!) some home audiophile systems I have owned. One could think of it as a mobile audiophile system... The driving experience is just a collateral benefit.
As far as "increasing" the maximum volume - once the Aux/iPod level is equal to that of the radio, the amplifier itself only generates around 25 WPC. Since the output is soft clipping limited- when the waveform hits around 10% THD, that the end of the current drive to the output transistors. This will permit about 4 to 6 watts continuous with the usual 10 dB peaks, may up to 40 watts instantaneous.
With efficient aftermarket speakers of between 93 to 95 dB/1 watt input, the Audio 20 is capable of generating SPL (sound pressure levels) of 100dB per speaker, x 4 speakers and considering the closed area, continuous levels of over 103 dB and peaks of 110 dB are possible.
The HK system has, per main speaker with its tweeter, between 2 to 3 times the wattage available. If the HK speakers are less efficient, then this represents at most an additional 3 dB if that. Of course the bass is totally another issue, other threads have proposed remidies, however the HK system is exceptional in its execution, and some radical thinking will be necessary to solve this issue for C'ers with the Audio 20 and a need for "that bottom octave in abundance."

bnam 11-16-2010 04:28 PM

while searching for the part number, I came across this link that details a hidden menu option that could exist in some cases.

http://www.mercupgrades.com/iPod+Vol...rticle-45.html

NickCats 11-16-2010 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill (Post 4353598)
@08SEA300: This music and audio professional refused to drive his C300 for six months while resolving the sound issue. No HK stereo is available in Mexico in the various models of the W204 except in the C63. After a lot of frustration, time and effort (the expense is secondary and under $300) the system is truly excellent. The C300 now has sound that rivals, and costs less than (!!!) some home audiophile systems I have owned. One could think of it as a mobile audiophile system... The driving experience is just a collateral benefit.
As far as "increasing" the maximum volume - once the Aux/iPod level is equal to that of the radio, the amplifier itself only generates around 25 WPC. Since the output is soft clipping limited- when the waveform hits around 10% THD, that the end of the current drive to the output transistors. This will permit about 4 to 6 watts continuous with the usual 10 dB peaks, may up to 40 watts instantaneous.
With efficient aftermarket speakers of between 93 to 95 dB/1 watt input, the Audio 20 is capable of generating SPL (sound pressure levels) of 100dB per speaker, x 4 speakers and considering the closed area, continuous levels of over 103 dB and peaks of 110 dB are possible.
The HK system has, per main speaker with its tweeter, between 2 to 3 times the wattage available. If the HK speakers are less efficient, then this represents at most an additional 3 dB if that. Of course the bass is totally another issue, other threads have proposed remidies, however the HK system is exceptional in its execution, and some radical thinking will be necessary to solve this issue for C'ers with the Audio 20 and a need for "that bottom octave in abundance."

Bill,

If you wouldn't mind, I would love to hear more regarding your enhancements to the Audio 20 to create a "mobile audiophile system".

I regret not getting the HK when purchasing my car and would love to enhance the audio ( especially if it can be done for less than $300 ! )

Thanks,

Nick

mike_benzc300 11-16-2010 04:47 PM

Sounds great when playing a CD or the Radio. Not so much with the ipod tho... :(

Acapulco Bill 11-16-2010 08:35 PM

@mike_benz300: If you can answer the 3 questions in Post #14 above, there are several specific recommendations to solve this problem. Also make sure your iPod volume is set to "8" and the EQ to POP.

Acapulco Bill 11-16-2010 08:38 PM

@NickCats: It will be necessary to begin a new thread tomorrow specifically about effective yet inexpensive ways to get audiophile quality sound on a standard Stereo 20 headunit. Will provide a link later.

dasinner 06-19-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by mike_benzc300 (Post 4336634)
Secret menu: push and hold: Hang up (end) , 1, and # at the same time :zoom:

i tried but couldnt do anything ... am i doing something wrong ?!?!?

wnunez89 06-19-2011 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dasinner (Post 4723769)
i tried but couldnt do anything ... am i doing something wrong ?!?!?

key has to be in 1st position

N200PF 06-19-2011 10:11 PM

Oh yeah!!! Great post!

...worked on my 2010 with UMI.

Thanks guys!

dasinner 06-20-2011 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by wnunez89 (Post 4723908)
key has to be in 1st position

i was holdin it for milli sec but this time i holded for coupleof sec and then the menu popped up ... thanks anyways :) ...