MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   accessing menu to increase max volume (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/374108-accessing-menu-increase-max-volume.html)

cole79 11-04-2010 10:17 AM

accessing menu to increase max volume

i recently saw a you tube video.. that allowed me to access menu on my radio.. that allowed me to raise my max volume... i forgot how to do it and cant find video.. can anyone help please..

mike_benzc300 11-04-2010 02:15 PM

Secret menu: push and hold: Hang up (end) , 1, and # at the same time :zoom:

08SEA300 11-04-2010 03:54 PM

Which adjustment in the secret menu adjusts the max volume. There was quite a bit to choose from.
Great post!!

Samieee 11-04-2010 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 08SEA300 (Post 4336834)
Which adjustment in the secret menu adjusts the max volume. There was quite a bit to choose from.
Great post!!

Keep sifting through the options. There should be an audio section

IgorDj 11-04-2010 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by mike_benzc300 (Post 4336634)

is this true?
i never knew about this, i was wondering why the volume was so low

Blazeitup123 11-04-2010 06:44 PM

its as real as it gets. works on the 7in and 5in screens.

TaxEsq 11-05-2010 10:20 AM

+++1

08SEA300 11-05-2010 11:31 AM

Quite a few volume options. Entertainment, Phone, TA (?), and there was another.
Oddly enough, none seem to raise my volume. Am I doing something wrong?

NewtwoMB 11-06-2010 12:14 PM

Sound system volume

I don't think this facility works on the Harmon Kardon Pro-Logic premium sound system option - I tried....!

whacko77uk 11-06-2010 03:49 PM

Worked perfectly on my 2010 w204... move the lmax volume level under the sound / entertainment menu all the way upto 85... Now to add a flat sub and upgrade the fronts... The question is JL-TW5 or Rockford Fosgate P3S-12 but dont know what to do for the fronts.

I am amazed at the sound quality between this and the Comand HK sound I have in my ML... Especially via the iPod interface....

Acapulco Bill 11-11-2010 06:10 PM

@whacko77uk: Many, many say these are the speakers to get, and I agree, fantastic sound, easy install
Infinity Kappa 60.9s for $110/pair
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-609CS...9508934&sr=8-1

and here are Infinity 6032 for the rear doors (they are COAXIAL)
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Refer...9509008&sr=1-1

As for a sub, neither of those you mention are really efficient (less than 86 dB for 1 watt), go for something like the Polk Audio MM 1040, its cheaper and almost 6 dB more efficient (needs 25% the amplifier power of your choices).

Acapulco Bill 11-11-2010 11:48 PM

The options in this secret menu, do not "raise" your maximum volume, only balance various inputs to make the outputs more equal. The maximum volume is determined by the performance of the output amplifier section (only Audio 20 here, not HK as NewtwoMB comments), which has a limiter. For your experimentation, you can play the radio or a CD, and keep turning up the volume with the front round volume knob - after a certain point turning the knob provides no increase in volume, the amp has reached its limit. Its well done actually, as it limits when the amps output reaches a predetermined distortion, sounds like 10% THD. Those who like it "as loud as it gets" should turn the volume knob (or steering wheel controls) up until the volume stops increasing, then back it off a bit to reduce the distortion without reducing the maximum volume.
Several posts complain about LOW volume. Why is it LOW? It is only the iPod? Is it the Aux? Is it the Bluetooth? If you can be more specific, some solutions could be posted as it sounds lie the problem cannot be solved changing the preestablished settings in this secret menu. Low volume from the iPod in particular (and bad EQ) has several causes, if the problem can be described, solutions will be posted.

bnam 11-12-2010 11:13 AM

Bill,
How can I balance out the volume amongst the various inputs so that I don't have to change volume while switching from ipod to radio to cd, etc (I have Audio 20)? Currently, the ipod level is lower.
Thx,
B

Acapulco Bill 11-12-2010 02:03 PM

This weekend there is some time for checking if the Radio and CD can be balanced. The iPod has several options, however three questions:
1.- Is the iPod connected through the AUX or through a MB iPod Interface?
2.- If you have the Interface, is there an iPod Amplifier attached?
3.- If you have the iPod amplifier, is it from Germany or China?

bnam 11-13-2010 02:14 AM

The ipod (actually iphone 3GS) is connected thru the MB ipod interface that came with the car. I don't know about an amp? How to check?

Acapulco Bill 11-13-2010 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Several preliminary comments are necessary here:
1.- Volume between the radio and CD - this should be preset at a "0" point (i.e. maximum radio voltage output equal to maximum CD output at +6). Radio voltage output on an average signal doesnt vary much in FM, this can vary in AM of course. Tje problem here is that CDs, especially the early produced ones from analog tapes, can vary greatly in their volume level, some are pegging their maximum volume and other were released up to -20 dB lower. There is no way to correct for this difference, other than the normal volume controls.
2.- iPod volume - recommended setting is to first disconnect the iPod from the connector, set the volume to "8" and Set the EQ to "POP". This will help the output preamplifiers of the iPod by not overdriving them (such as at "10") and the EQ "POP" setting is Mercedes own recommendation. Reconnect the iPod.
3.- In the Sound section of the Audio unit, get to Volume and make sure this is on "Boost" (not "Standard".)
4.- At this point switching from the Radio to the iPod (Aux vs CD) should produce equal volume with equal clarity.
5.- If this is NOT the case, or if you think the iPod sounds "muddy" or distorted, or a much lower volume level than the radio, then you will need to look for the iPod amplifier.
Here is a diagram. To check, pull out the bottom of the glove compartment, some like to remove the lower panel, or both. The iPod interface is the long rectangular-aspect box. Here is a photo of the iPod amplifier.
6.- The two cases here are: a) there was no iPod Amplifier included with the iPod Interface installation (should have come included in the cost, make sure they get one from Germany), or b) you have an iPod amplifier, and it is sourced from China, and is of defective manufacture. Get the one from Germany, same part number, a world's difference in quality (hey MB, WTF?) See images in previous post in this thread.

bnam 11-13-2010 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill (Post 4350009)
3.- In the Sound section of the Audio unit, get to Volume and make sure this is on "Boost" (not "Standard".)

In the sound section I could not find anything that had "Boost". THe options were IIRC
Ent Volume
Tel Volume
TA Volume
Equalizer

Under Ent Vol, there were only low and high settings.

BN

Acapulco Bill 11-13-2010 11:34 PM

The Standard vs Boost setting is in the normal user menu controlled by the silver rotary knob on the center console: Turn the Audio unit on, and push the CD button on the dash.
On the central display, the bottom row has "Aux - Volume - Sound". Since this part of the thread is about getting the iPod to balance volume-wise with the radio, make sure "Aux" is selected and not the CD.
The next menu "Volume", push the knob and a choice of either "Standard" or "Boost" is available. Choose "Boost". The last section "Sound" has Treble, Bass and Fader shelving.
The object of this exercise is to insure that all elements of the inputs to the Audio system are in their standard configurations, to help determine if there is a deficiency that must be further adjusted in the "secret" menu.
Before changing any of these "secret" settings, for iPod users it is important that other situations, such as an absent or defective iPod Amplifier, are not the cause of low volume.
For those who use an iPod through a minijack and the regular Aux input, the previously mentioned settings of iPod Volume = "8", EQ = "POP" and Volume = "Boost" will insure the iPod is at its optimum level before any other adjustments.

bnam 11-14-2010 05:07 PM

Hmm... in Aux mode, with iphone plugged in, the bottom row only has Aux and Sound. Does not have the Volume option. What'd going on here?
B

Acapulco Bill 11-14-2010 07:23 PM

Do you have the retractable 7" MM screen or the fixed 5" screen?

Acapulco Bill 11-14-2010 07:40 PM

Do you have the retractable 7" MM screen or the fixed 5" screen?

bnam 11-14-2010 11:26 PM

fixed 5" with the Audio 20.
B

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 12:25 AM

Will take some photos and post tomorrow. Do you have the Audio 20 original manual?

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 11:12 AM

Volume & Boost

2 Attachment(s)
Attached are photos of the Volume section and Boost selection, which is active as shown by the DOT preceding Boost. Please refer to post #18 above. Later there will be a new thread about the Parametric Equalizer and Volume settings, for those interested in exactly how these "secret menu" functions operate and what they can do for you.

08SEA300 11-15-2010 11:27 AM

My 5" screen doesn't look like that... Looks like the 08s might have less options.
I could be wrong though

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 12:05 PM

@08SEA300: Do you have the iPod interface or are you just using AUX input?. Will have to go back into the Engineering section and figure out which adjustment can increase the AUX volume, as it wasnt so marked. And where are you in South Jersey?

08SEA300 11-15-2010 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill (Post 4352590)
@08SEA300: Do you have the iPod interface or are you just using AUX input?. Will have to go back into the Engineering section and figure out which adjustment can increase the AUX volume, as it wasnt so marked. And where are you in South Jersey?

I'm using the AUX input for now, I'm looking forward to possibly swapping to the iPod interface.
I live 15 minutes from Atlantic City. Close enough, but far enough lol
Where are you located?

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 12:47 PM

The iPod Interface commandeers the AUX input upon installation, and although a novel toy, I have come to use Playlists as a lifesaving measure, running through the speedo interface is a dangerous distraction between the very high speeds and driving hazards (rocks, cows, bridge washouts, bandits, etc). If setting the iPod on volume "8" results much lower than the radio, it may be necessary to fix it, or maybe not. As the analog signal is reconverted into digital, the Audio 20 digital preamp will just keep adding more gain as you turn up the volume, so in the last analysis, maximum output at the speakers will be achieved. Just that dynamic range is sacrificed, and if you are using MP3 format instead of Apple lossless, you have already thrown away nearly half of your dynamic range to begin with (thats just one way MP3 saves space). Lived in Moorestown, NJ for 20 years, and in Mexico since the 70´s, currently in Acapulco.

rugereagle 11-15-2010 04:06 PM

I purchased the IPod Integration kit and now have the functionality of controlling my IPod touch via the steering wheel controls-my question is does anyone have insight where I could purchase the IPod Lineamp for a 2009 C300 (W204)? I too am having the volume issue and the code mentioned above has no affect on it-I feel this is the only solution.

Speakerz 11-15-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by 08SEA300 (Post 4352538)
My 5" screen doesn't look like that... Looks like the 08s might have less options.
I could be wrong though

Hey, I am with you. I saw the Standard or Boost menu in the loaner car (2010 C300) but not on my own (2009 C300). I didn't think about that until I read this post. Is anybody familiar with the issue? Is this an update everybody should get?

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 05:36 PM

@rugereagle: You local MB dealer will sell one iPod Amplifier new for $65 (it should have been included in the iPod Integration installation, insist on it for free), there is a previous post with the part number
A204 870 3994
GET THE GERMAN ONE the one sourced by MB from China doesnt work, period.

whacko77uk 11-15-2010 05:37 PM

I have a Sept 2010 car and also don't have this boost volume just the sound option to adjust base trebble n speaker.

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 05:43 PM

@whacko77uk: This is just too strange - cant believe that the Audio head is spec'ed differently for Europe than the US or even Mexico. If you have the original Audio 20 manual, it should state exactly where Boost is. Will reverence publication and page number later.

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 06:09 PM

@ANYONE whose screen does not look like the photos in Post #24 - This unit has a 6 CD changer inside, maybe the 1 CD changer lacks this menu option.

whacko77uk 11-15-2010 06:30 PM

Strange! I have the 6 cd changer also and the UMI which adds the iPod and Navi.

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 06:46 PM

@whacko77uk, the if you lack this screen option and you think the iPod volume is low, get the MB part number A204 870 3994 and make sure it says "Made in Germany" NOT China.

whacko77uk 11-15-2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill (Post 4353281)
@whacko77uk, the if you lack this screen option and you think the iPod volume is low, get the MB part number A204 870 3994 and make sure it says "Made in Germany" NOT China.

Thanks I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully a simple install.

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 07:15 PM

Yes, the iPod amplifier goes between the UMI interface box and the cable that plugs into the iPod, its plug-n-play. Just get the cover under the glove box open and there it is, although as mentioned earlier, perhaps you already DO have an iPod amplifier, but it is sourced from China and is defective.

rugereagle 11-15-2010 08:38 PM

I managed to get the IPod Integration kit online from a reputable seller (Genuine MB) unfortunately the Lineamp referred to is a seperate part number-this is probably why several folks have had to return to the dealer to have it installed after the Integration kit. Acapulco Bill, you're right, I will obtain one from the dealer "German" and have the shop who installed the Integration kit add the amp-they were referred to me by my MB Dealer, the integration kit was a snap (for them :-))

08SEA300 11-15-2010 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill (Post 4352689)
Lived in Moorestown, NJ for 20 years, and in Mexico since the 70´s, currently in Acapulco.

Very cool! I know I like where I am :D

I hope I can get this whole sound issue figured out... I'd love to have the best possible sound out of what I have.

Acapulco Bill 11-15-2010 10:05 PM

@08SEA300: This music and audio professional refused to drive his C300 for six months while resolving the sound issue. No HK stereo is available in Mexico in the various models of the W204 except in the C63. After a lot of frustration, time and effort (the expense is secondary and under $300) the system is truly excellent. The C300 now has sound that rivals, and costs less than (!!!) some home audiophile systems I have owned. One could think of it as a mobile audiophile system... The driving experience is just a collateral benefit.
As far as "increasing" the maximum volume - once the Aux/iPod level is equal to that of the radio, the amplifier itself only generates around 25 WPC. Since the output is soft clipping limited- when the waveform hits around 10% THD, that the end of the current drive to the output transistors. This will permit about 4 to 6 watts continuous with the usual 10 dB peaks, may up to 40 watts instantaneous.
With efficient aftermarket speakers of between 93 to 95 dB/1 watt input, the Audio 20 is capable of generating SPL (sound pressure levels) of 100dB per speaker, x 4 speakers and considering the closed area, continuous levels of over 103 dB and peaks of 110 dB are possible.
The HK system has, per main speaker with its tweeter, between 2 to 3 times the wattage available. If the HK speakers are less efficient, then this represents at most an additional 3 dB if that. Of course the bass is totally another issue, other threads have proposed remidies, however the HK system is exceptional in its execution, and some radical thinking will be necessary to solve this issue for C'ers with the Audio 20 and a need for "that bottom octave in abundance."

bnam 11-16-2010 04:28 PM

while searching for the part number, I came across this link that details a hidden menu option that could exist in some cases.

http://www.mercupgrades.com/iPod+Vol...rticle-45.html

NickCats 11-16-2010 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill (Post 4353598)
@08SEA300: This music and audio professional refused to drive his C300 for six months while resolving the sound issue. No HK stereo is available in Mexico in the various models of the W204 except in the C63. After a lot of frustration, time and effort (the expense is secondary and under $300) the system is truly excellent. The C300 now has sound that rivals, and costs less than (!!!) some home audiophile systems I have owned. One could think of it as a mobile audiophile system... The driving experience is just a collateral benefit.
As far as "increasing" the maximum volume - once the Aux/iPod level is equal to that of the radio, the amplifier itself only generates around 25 WPC. Since the output is soft clipping limited- when the waveform hits around 10% THD, that the end of the current drive to the output transistors. This will permit about 4 to 6 watts continuous with the usual 10 dB peaks, may up to 40 watts instantaneous.
With efficient aftermarket speakers of between 93 to 95 dB/1 watt input, the Audio 20 is capable of generating SPL (sound pressure levels) of 100dB per speaker, x 4 speakers and considering the closed area, continuous levels of over 103 dB and peaks of 110 dB are possible.
The HK system has, per main speaker with its tweeter, between 2 to 3 times the wattage available. If the HK speakers are less efficient, then this represents at most an additional 3 dB if that. Of course the bass is totally another issue, other threads have proposed remidies, however the HK system is exceptional in its execution, and some radical thinking will be necessary to solve this issue for C'ers with the Audio 20 and a need for "that bottom octave in abundance."

Bill,

If you wouldn't mind, I would love to hear more regarding your enhancements to the Audio 20 to create a "mobile audiophile system".

I regret not getting the HK when purchasing my car and would love to enhance the audio ( especially if it can be done for less than $300 ! )

Thanks,

Nick

mike_benzc300 11-16-2010 04:47 PM

Sounds great when playing a CD or the Radio. Not so much with the ipod tho... :(

Acapulco Bill 11-16-2010 08:35 PM

@mike_benz300: If you can answer the 3 questions in Post #14 above, there are several specific recommendations to solve this problem. Also make sure your iPod volume is set to "8" and the EQ to POP.

Acapulco Bill 11-16-2010 08:38 PM

@NickCats: It will be necessary to begin a new thread tomorrow specifically about effective yet inexpensive ways to get audiophile quality sound on a standard Stereo 20 headunit. Will provide a link later.

dasinner 06-19-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by mike_benzc300 (Post 4336634)

i tried but couldnt do anything ... am i doing something wrong ?!?!?

wnunez89 06-19-2011 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dasinner (Post 4723769)
i tried but couldnt do anything ... am i doing something wrong ?!?!?

key has to be in 1st position

N200PF 06-19-2011 10:11 PM

Oh yeah!!! Great post!

...worked on my 2010 with UMI.

Thanks guys!

dasinner 06-20-2011 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by wnunez89 (Post 4723908)
key has to be in 1st position

i was holdin it for milli sec but this time i holded for coupleof sec and then the menu popped up ... thanks anyways :) ...

mwrightc1983 07-10-2011 10:24 AM

Everyone is totally misunderstanding the ent volume menu. It is the setting.that determines what range the volume is allowed to be at when you start the car. For instance if I set the lmin setting to 59, turn my stereo down so I can barely hear it and then shut the car off it will be blaring when I turn it back on. (Turns itself up to 59%) the lmax is 85% max as to not blow the speakers on startup. I have min set to 15 max 59 so no matter what when I sta,rt the car the.volume is below a ear exploding level. I can still crank the volume like normal after that. Maximum output remains the same no matter what. This setting is just startup allowable volume range.

sciencex5 09-27-2011 12:08 AM

Bill or anybody,

I just bought a 2009 C300, I've had it for under a week and I'm still getting used to all the gadgets that come with it. Can someone tell me if there's a fix to boost the AUX volume? I have a Zune, not an iPod, and when I finally figured out how to change to the AUX setting, the only 2 options showing on the screen are AUX and SOUND. If I press AUX, it only shows the option of "go back to disc" and if I press SOUND, it brings me to a menu where I can only change the bass, treble and balance of the audio.
Unless I;m completely missing something because I'm new to MB, I'm stating to think that my only solution is to buy an external volume amplifier.

Any help would be great appreciate it, thank you so much!

P.S. Bill-how's your Spanish? Yo creci en Nueva Rosita, Coahuila. Saludos!

Acapulco Bill 09-27-2011 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
@sciencex5 - "Por supuesto esta muy bien mi español" Since MY2010 (fabrication dates from mid-2009) there was a software change for the Audio20 which included a Boost of about 6dB, or 4 times the voltage. I am not sure if the equalizer was also added in this update.

There are threads of people paying $1200 at their MB service just for this software update, in one case the dealer was unable to successfully complete the update on a 2008 C350. Happily the owner drove off with a new 2012 C350 Coupe. Point being that it may not be possible to reprogram (this Boost is all digital of course) the Audio20 to get the AUX volume to a level equal to the Radio/CD.

Solutions: hopefully the dealer can show you or even temporarily plug-in a MI Plus and see if that provides the proper gain for your Zune. I am not sure if you get all the benefits of function and tune selection you do with the iPod via the Media Knob. The cost may be the same, and the display and map advantages for those with the non-COMAND systems are fantastic.

Below, a pix of the screen showing Aux-Boost-Sound on the 2010 Audio20 update.

sciencex5 09-27-2011 03:34 PM

Y que haces en Acapulco? Te retiraste y compraste una casa barata alla?

So what I'll probably do is try one of those cheap Cmoy amplifier things, if it can at least amplify the volume a bit without distorting the quality too much, that would be just fine.

Por cierto, wtf is a MI plus? Disculpa mi ignorancia.

sciencex5 09-27-2011 03:35 PM

Without messing with the integrated sound system, I got this idea of the external amplifier from this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb4moaNYbX8

Acapulco Bill 09-27-2011 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@sciencex5 - Actually a Filly boy met the love of his life in Taxco, Gro. Lived there 24 years and in Acapulco since 2000. Have a large commercial printing business BUT this link was my actual profession, now reactivated with the Acapulco Philharmonic, just LiSTEN to the sound from an iPhone video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W96v7cmMzE8

The Media Interface Plus, lets see if I have the manual, its supposed to give you control of your iPod from the center media knob, plus Nav, on a regular Audio20 with 5" screen:

PeterMB 10-02-2011 11:04 PM

If you find that you need a preamp, there are plenty of options.
Just google "portable headphone amp" or check out the FiiO amps. My son uses one of these
Sound Shocker
It doesn't use batteries or any plugin power.

Acapulco Bill 10-03-2011 09:23 AM

Sound Shocker's moto is "The Pure Sound of Glass". Right. No scientist could accept that there is a 12dB gain (thats 16 times the voltage required to achieve the "4 times louder" claim) without some other kind of power requirement.

The website offers no proof of their product's performance, measurements with a voltmeter or oscilloscope, to document this outrageous claim.

We should all do a group-buy and ask PHP Audio to make a chip that boosts the W204's HP four times, and with no extra fuel consumption besides!!!! Everyone would love a 912 HP C300 that gets 26MPG on the highway. This is exactly what PHP Audio claims.

PHP 10-04-2011 07:45 AM

Acapulco Bill - I’m Pete Palmer (PHP Audio) and just saw your post (thank you Google Alerts). I hope it’s OK with the moderators for me to shed some light on this subject. Sound Shocker is NOT magic. It’s basically a pair of audio transformers in a box (much like microphone impedance matchers). We are talking “state of the art” 1930’s technology. Since the headphone output is expecting a low impedance (headphones range from 32 – 600 ohms) and the AUX input is a high impedance (typically 10K – 47K ohms) you can use a transformer to impedance match the two devices. With the transformers in place, the load on the headphone output appears to be a pair of 100 – 150 ohm headphones. This means that you can use transformers with a voltage gain of about 10:1 which is +20dB. Because of the way we perceive sound it takes +10dB to double the volume and so +20dB is perceived as 4x louder. Can the same voltage gain be accomplished with integrated circuits and batteries or an external power source? Absolutely! So why do I do it this way and no one else? I wanted to offer what I felt was the best and most convenient solution. No Batteries, No Plug-in Power, No ON/OFF switch etc. Quality audio transformers are just too expensive for most companies to even consider using them in such a product. As for “The pure sound of glass.” It comes from the (glass) vacuum tube amplifiers that I design and sell on a custom / semi-custom basis.

Hope that clears things up.

Pete.

“We should all do a group-buy and ask PHP Audio to make a chip that boosts the W204's HP four times, and with no extra fuel consumption besides!!!! Everyone would love a 912 HP C300 that gets 26MPG on the highway.”

If only I could, that really would be great. But the car and oil companies would hunt me down and I’d probably disappear off the face of the earth. :)

aowhaus 11-05-2011 06:29 PM

7 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 08SEA300 (Post 4352538)
I could be wrong though

No, you are right.
I have a 2008 as well and the menu options are different. There is no "Boost" selection, but a host of sound options.

I apologize about the poor quality photos, they were taken from my phone.
Here they are in sequence (through the different menu options):
Attachment 380857
Attachment 380858
Attachment 380859
Attachment 380860
Attachment 380861
Attachment 380862
Attachment 380863
The orange box on the top is "Return" (goes to previous option screen)

I am not sure what settings to change to get the "Boost" adjustment equivilent on newer models.

Acapulco Bill 11-05-2011 07:46 PM

The 2008 W204 Audio20 has no provision for the Boost, even with a software upgrade which enabled this feature for 2009 models. The 2010 W204s with Audio20 headunits already have the Boost capability and the updated software installed.

Recommend purchasing a PHP Audio "Sound Shocker" to add enough gain (up to 20 dB claimed) to made an iPod or MP3 sound the same volume as the radio or CD input. Here is a link:

http://phpaudio.jigsy.com/passive-preamp

By the way the photos are very good. Hope you purchase a "Sound Shocker" as a solution.

djejglk 10-20-2012 06:31 PM

A little tip about something I just did....I engaged the high pass filter (this rolls off the bottom end). I set it to 60 hz, with a slope of 12.

My system (standard audio 20) sounded bloated, even with the standard bass adjustment turned quite a bit down. It decreased the "bloat", but also losses the frequencies in the 70-90hz region, which is where the solid chest hit thumps are most present. I wanted to get rid of the ultra low end stuff, which only stresses the amp and speakers. Granted, if you have proper amplification and large speakers/drivers, the ultra low end stuff is good, because the system can properly execute all the frequencies.

I basically took a little stress off the system, but maintained a solid, full sound. I didn't want to mess with the parametric EQ, because a roll off/hpf is exactly what I wanted/needed. The system otherwise is decently tuned by default, it just doesn't have the abilities to reproduce the lowest of frequencies.

I just helped it not have to "worry" about anything below 60hz. :)
Even a 40hz HPF would help a little, and trust me, you're not missing anything at or below this with the stock system.

jroller 02-05-2014 06:27 PM

Is there a volume increase option for a 2006 CLS500?

dboyrusky 01-13-2019 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill (Post 4905427)
The 2008 W204 Audio20 has no provision for the Boost, even with a software upgrade which enabled this feature for 2009 models. The 2010 W204s with Audio20 headunits already have the Boost capability and the updated software installed.

Recommend purchasing a PHP Audio "Sound Shocker" to add enough gain (up to 20 dB claimed) to made an iPod or MP3 sound the same volume as the radio or CD input. Here is a link:

http://phpaudio.jigsy.com/passive-preamp

By the way the photos are very good. Hope you purchase a "Sound Shocker" as a solution.

I purchased one of those sound shocker amps and it doesn't work!! No difference in volume

huotalicusC200K 01-28-2019 10:33 PM

IF YOUR USING AN AUX CABLE TO LISTEN TO MUSIC HERE S AN ANSWER
ITS A HEADPHONE HIFI AMPLIFIER
SO WHETHER YOUR USING AN IPOD LAPTOP OR YOUR PHONES AUX PORT THIS WILL GIVE YOU 50% MORE VOLUME...
JUST ITS IMPORTANT TO NOT INCREASE YOUR VOLUME TO 100% ON ALL YOUR DEVICES AS THAT WILL INTRODUCE DISTORTION
LIKE MOST AUDIO SYSTEM WITHOUT AN AMPLIFIER ..IF YOU GO TO LOUD IT WILL DISTORT

HERES A LINK

Melani Kuncheva 07-03-2019 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by 08SEA300 (Post 4338042)
Quite a few volume options. Entertainment, Phone, TA (?), and there was another.
Oddly enough, none seem to raise my volume. Am I doing something wrong?

Have same issue. Did you resolve it ?
Thank you in advance