C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

lamin-x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 550 / C300 S
lamin-x

my fog light recently freaking cracked AGAIN due to road debris... and its another $200 for that damn dealer to fix up.

I've been lurking around different threads to see how i can protect my fogs so this wont happen again and i see "lamin-x" used with your vehicles.

Being that it just a film thats applied, my question is does it really work? I've read what it does and all that, but I would rather have real testimonials from those who actually use the product.

Also I have a '08 mars red c300, what color in your opinion would you recommend. I am debating between yellow and optic blue, would any of you have pictures of it? I did the search already on this forum... but the search engine isn't that friendly.

and my LAST question.. which one would i need between these 2... I honestly don't know the difference..

http://www.lamin-x.com/Mercedes-C-Cl...rs-p/mb126.htm

http://www.lamin-x.com/Mercedes-C-Cl...rs-p/mb426.htm

Thank you mbworld.

Good day

Last edited by Rapsteady1; 08-14-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Niti24

You need to buy the second one. The first one is for the luxury. If you have sport, then you buy the second one.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by Rapsteady1
my fog light recently freaking cracked AGAIN due to road debris... and its another $200 for that damn dealer to fix up.

I've been lurking around different threads to see how i can protect my fogs so this wont happen again and i see "lamin-x" used with your vehicles.

Being that it just a film thats applied, my question is does it really work? I've read what it does and all that, but I would rather have real testimonials from those who actually use the product.

Also I have a '08 mars red c300, what color in your opinion would you recommend. I am debating between yellow and optic blue, would any of you have pictures of it? I did the search already on this forum... but the search engine isn't that friendly.

and my LAST question.. which one would i need between these 2... I honestly don't know the difference..

http://www.lamin-x.com/Mercedes-C-Cl...rs-p/mb126.htm

http://www.lamin-x.com/Mercedes-C-Cl...rs-p/mb426.htm

Thank you mbworld.

Good day
Sorry I'm not 100% sure which of the above to use since Elaine is the one who got it for the car but imho I think yellow film would look best on a mars red ride .... I just cant see the blue on that color ?? I don't think you can go wrong with lamin-x since it will protect the fogs from those road debris and lamin-x is so much cheaper than $200 fog replacements
Old 08-15-2010, 04:07 AM

2008 C300 Sport Black on Black
I just purchased them on line after reading all the posts about it - at $22.34 out the door and many endorsements on here, how can you go wrong? I just had BOTH my foglights replaced, so I can't wait to get my Lamin-x in the mail and protect them.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:21 AM

W204
Originally Posted by 2008C300AM
I just purchased them on line after reading all the posts about it - at $22.34 out the door and many endorsements on here, how can you go wrong? I just had BOTH my foglights replaced, so I can't wait to get my Lamin-x in the mail and protect them.
Yeah it's probably one of the first things to do on the "to do" list for any w204 owner ..... just the potential cost savings alone is worth as you know since you had not one but two broken fogs !!!!

What color did you get the lamin-x in if i may ask ???
Old 08-15-2010, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I applied clear Lamin-X to fog lights on both cars. No broken lamps in almost two years, but can't assess how many rocks may have hit.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:50 AM

08 c63
i have clear lamin-x installed on my headlights, sidemarkers, and fogs. sadly my driver side fog still got a crack and im in the process of finding a replacement. i think lamin-x works well but is no match for a dime sized rock which i think is which hit me as it left a rather large mark as well as dented my chrome ring around the fog =(
p.s. you should go with the clear film i think it would look cleaner stock looking rather then a blue/yellow tint...that is unless you into that kinda thing
Old 08-15-2010, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
I bought the clear for my fogs, since you can get them in twice the thickness of the blue or yellow.. which should protect exponentially better. I've clocked about a thousand miles doing 150+ MPH and never cracked a fog. It sounds like there's so much debris where you are that you should consider the double thickness as well.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:46 AM

CLS 550 / C300 S
Originally Posted by Peabody
I bought the clear for my fogs, since you can get them in twice the thickness of the blue or yellow.. which should protect exponentially better. I've clocked about a thousand miles doing 150+ MPH and never cracked a fog. It sounds like there's so much debris where you are that you should consider the double thickness as well.

I live/work around the fullerton-anaheim area (near the 5 and 91) and the never ending construction on the freeway leaves so much crap on the roads its damn near impossible to keep your car flawless.

I want to get the clear film done, but my wife wants to get that "HID" look after seeing one on the road the other day.

Does anyone have a picture of how the optic blue looks like on the fogs?

Thanks ya'll.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
To be honest, just get the double thick clear ones for extra protections. The Blue film looks cheezy and doesn't really give that HID effect. If thats what your looking for, I would suggest either getting an HID kit, or blue tinted halogen h7 lights (cost like $12) and you can easily replace them. All you have to do is take off the mesh around the fog, reach behind and turn and pull out the bulb. Then jsut put back the mesh with the 3 Torx screws.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:27 PM

2008 C300 Sport Black on Black
Yes, I got clear too.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:05 PM

2010 C350
I've got tinted.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:22 PM

CLS 550 / C300 S
Originally Posted by jlb0125
I've got tinted.
Does the yellow lamin-x decrease the light on the fogs at night or is it pretty much still the same?

Would anyone happen to have a pic of the optic blue?

Thank you all for the responses.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by Rapsteady1
Does the yellow lamin-x decrease the light on the fogs at night or is it pretty much still the same?

Would anyone happen to have a pic of the optic blue?

Thank you all for the responses.
I never noticed decreased output from the yellow. I have had multiple sets of Lamin-x and still love it. The only problem I had was burn marks in the films after extremely long periods of the car sitting with the lights on at shows. They would last about a year before needing to be replaced. I also drive with the foglights on ALL OF THE TIME because I like the looks of it. I have recently installed the Hella Yellow foglight bulbs and tried the clear film in the increased thickness. I also requested "high-temp" adhesive at Lamin-x's suggestions.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
I just got my clear films in the mail and was wondering if it is it better to do a dry or wet install? I installed window tint a couple times and always did it wet but was curious if the fogs were so small that they don't pose much of a challange to get a bubble free install.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by C300Sport
I just got my clear films in the mail and was wondering if it is it better to do a dry or wet install? I installed window tint a couple times and always did it wet but was curious if the fogs were so small that they don't pose much of a challange to get a bubble free install.
I didn't have any problem installing it with only using the spritzer that it came with. Definitely don't do it completely dry, but you don't have to soak them. My question is, why not use more water, the more the better, the less scratches you get as well. It can't hurt, just don't make it dripping wet. If yours came with the spritzer (I got the whole kit so I don't know if yours does) just put a light mist over each lens. Also, it looks much better if you take off the mesh around the fogs and is much easier as well.

Also, the instructions weren't very clear about how much water to use either. I put a mist on the lens and never wet the outside of the film. This wasn't really a problem for the fogs since it was so small. But when I put it on my headlights it was a PIA since they are much larger. I definitely should have soaked the outside of my headlight films, now I have some scratches and bubbles and it doesn't look good. After the winter I am going to order new film for the headlights or paint the housing black. When I watched the guy tint my windows, he used this water/saline solution like it was going out of style, I can't believe how much he sprayed, haha.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by C300Sport
The instructions I received were not to use ANY water on the foglight films. I have installed multiple sets. The first set- I used water and they were a PITA. I installed the other sets without and it was much better. Remove the trim/grille by removing the 3 torx screws and install the films. Get them positioned and start in the center and work your way out. Don't trim- roll the edges and then re-install the trim/grilles. Enjoy.