C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

car almost died today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
car almost died today

'09 C 63 with 2k miles. CPO car.

i was driving normally and suddenly it started to stumble and a check engine light came on. i barely was able to pull over; it was bucking terribly when i came to a stop. i restarted and it started fine but the light remained. no puffs of smoke or anything during the incident so i was not overly concerned.

i got home and read the code.

i wanted to just shoot over to the dealer because it's probably an easy sensor swap but they were booked solid according to my inside contact so i just made an appointment for tomorrow.

we'll see what it actually is.

might be something along these lines: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/250028-c63-sorted-cam-sensor-faulty.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/264373-cam-sensor-7k-miles.html
Attached Thumbnails car almost died today-img-20130405-01504.jpg  

Last edited by builthatch; 04-05-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:37 PM

C63
Well I started the car after my first post, drove about 50 miles of mixed driving to run some errands and the MIL...err...check engine light didn't come back. :shrugs:

I'll still take it in though...when the dealer decides to call me back to make an appointment

Last edited by builthatch; 04-05-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55
You should definitely have it checked out. Just in case its something far worse. Keep us updated for future reference.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:53 PM

C63
I will, definitely. It's probably some awesomely engineered sensor on the fritz. 2K miles though, hehe.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:41 AM

C63
welp, i couldn't get a hold of anyone yesterday or today at the dealer so i just drove over there. a sales guy i know spoke to the lone advisor that was working today and they had no issue getting my car in. they plugged it in and there were a series of stored codes for misfires and a code for the cam sensor issue. they read back how one cam sensor was showing negative something while the rest were at positive something, so the sensor obviously had a hiccup. they said there is nothing they can do with it yet because it was one time, there is no active code and it has driven fine for two days and about 100 miles, but if it does it again, that would prove it wasn't an anomaly and they'd likely replace that sensor, though he said something about a cam actuator. it makes more sense to me that such a strange freeze frame reading that is SO far off has to be a sensor spitting out a crazy value and the ECU noticing.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:49 AM

2011 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by builthatch
welp, i couldn't get a hold of anyone yesterday or today at the dealer so i just drove over there. a sales guy i know spoke to the lone advisor that was working today and they had no issue getting my car in. they plugged it in and there were a series of stored codes for misfires and a code for the cam sensor issue. they read back how one cam sensor was showing negative something while the rest were at positive something, so the sensor obviously had a hiccup. they said there is nothing they can do with it yet because it was one time, there is no active code and it has driven fine for two days and about 100 miles, but if it does it again, that would prove it wasn't an anomaly and they'd likely replace that sensor, though he said something about a cam actuator. it makes more sense to me that such a strange freeze frame reading that is SO far off has to be a sensor spitting out a crazy value and the ECU noticing.
Hopefully isn't nothing more serious than a sensor.