MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Car accident need some advice (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/379646-car-accident-need-some-advice.html)

envyxc350 12-16-2010 10:38 PM

Car accident need some advice

So tonight got t-boned and my whole driver side is wrecked. Car still runs like a champ tho! All i need is two new doors basically, is there any salvaged c300/350's in junkyards that would let me buy 2 doors? I've looked on google and I just see salvaged cars selling as is. Please give me some advice or if you spot any c300/350 at a JY let me know.

Also my headliner cracked from the airbags deploying, is that suppose to happen? All the other pieces popped off yet the headliner cracked in a small place.

RLE 12-16-2010 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by envyxc350 (Post 4415782)
So tonight got t-boned and my whole driver side is wrecked. Car still runs like a champ tho! All i need is two new doors basically, is there any salvaged c300/350's in junkyards that would let me buy 2 doors? I've looked on google and I just see salvaged cars selling as is. Please give me some advice or if you spot any c300/350 at a JY let me know.

Also my headliner cracked from the airbags deploying, is that suppose to happen? All the other pieces popped off yet the headliner cracked in a small place.

What about your insurance? Were you at fault or the other driver? With the blown curtain bags, it may be totallled.

You cannot fix this yourself. Don't even think about it.

envyxc350 12-16-2010 11:26 PM

Insurance will be involved, the car is not in any way totaled, what I need to restore the car is 2 driver side doors. I believe I was at fault, I was at a stop sign at a plaza coming out and a car was turning in so I decided to go as he was turning in when he was blocking the view of another car and I went and was hit by that car.

IGB 12-17-2010 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by envyxc350 (Post 4415874)
Insurance will be involved...

So why are you bothering to search for parts? Pay your deductible and have your insurance take care of it...

Keep in mind that if your car is leased or financed, the lease/lien holder might not accept you simply patching it up on your own!

Good luck, glad you're OK, and drive safely!

envyxc350 12-17-2010 01:22 AM

Yah didn't think about that, head not straight from airbag >.<

Normandie4life 12-17-2010 01:22 AM

the junkyards are in Sun Valley you can look in there in SoCal i got a rear bumper only for 90 painted

envyxc350 12-17-2010 03:38 AM

Wow u serious? I'll have to check it out!

GateKeeper 12-17-2010 09:43 AM

Typically here in Canada, specifically in Ontario, if air bags deploy, the car is usually a write off, this was told to me by my Insurance agent, since typically there is enough force to create a lot of damage, that is not even seen.

jamesw204 12-17-2010 01:17 PM

envyxc350, you can also try looking at glenoaks blvd in the valley, i saw a lot of euro jy. hth. :)

tanktube67 12-17-2010 01:39 PM

Let the insurance take care of it, just worry about your co pay

envyxc350 12-17-2010 02:41 PM

Last time I let insurance handle it the car was fixed but in such a bad way. I think Im going to handle it this time with insurance as well.

tehc300 12-17-2010 03:37 PM

You can tell your insurance you want your car repaired at a shop you trust and they will abide. They can just cut you out a check as well if you come up with a quote from a shop you want. They will of course compare the prices they can get the same parts for.

I'd let insurance deal with it but tell them you want the repair work done at a shop you trust. Works out both ways. You get your car repaired by a shop of your choice, and you give them business as well.

On a more important note. Are you OK? Any damages to yourself? Hope all is well!

envyxc350 12-17-2010 05:13 PM

Thanks everyone! Yah I plan on having insurance let me pick the shop and get some quality work done. Im ok other then some cuts on face from the airbag. I swear the airbag just made it worst lol. I just hate how this had to happen right before xmas. And my front lip comes in tomorrow >.< perfect timing lol!

tehc300 12-17-2010 06:15 PM

Glad to hear your ok. Sucks what happened so close to X-Mas.

The first time I had a major accident the airbags deployed and I wasn't aware that powder/smoke comes out with the air bags. Long story short I thought I the car was on fire so I opened the door and basically LEAPED out of my seat and onto the road and injured myself more then the accident. LOL

A friend who saw my accident said it looked like I took a dive onto the concrete LOLOLOL.

LILBENZ230 12-17-2010 09:37 PM

Deployed airbags mean nothing. It's a common misconception that it will automatically total the car. Perhaps if ALL of them deployed, but a deployed curtain bag or even a couple of deployed bags on such a new car will not total it alone. Airbags deploy on deceleration sensors, not based on accident damage to the car.

Sportstick 12-17-2010 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230 (Post 4417340)
Deployed airbags mean nothing. It's a common misconception that it will automatically total the car. Perhaps if ALL of them deployed, but a deployed curtain bag or even a couple of deployed bags on such a new car will not total it alone. Airbags deploy on deceleration sensors, not based on accident damage to the car.

+1

Whether a car is totaled or not does not depend solely on the amount of damage, unless a manufacturer requirement is violated, for example, bending the floor pan. It's usually an economic equation of the cost of repairing the damage versus some guideline percentage of the value of the vehicle. Therefore, the same damage on an older or less expensive car will more easily result in a decision to total the vehicle.

Also, interior engineers take great pains to make air bags replaceable, even with seamless instrument panel technology, so that the economics of keeping and repairing a car with deployed bags is positive.

Before the insurance adjuster examines the vehicle, no point in jumping to conclusions.

jctevere 12-17-2010 10:04 PM

My sister's 2011 w204 that she got less than 2 months ago was also involved in an accident last week. It was also her driver door. It wasn't her fault though, there were two turning lanes and the person in the inside turning lane didn't know that, so she tried to go straight when my sister turned and she t-boned her. Low impact, no air-bag deployment, but the body shop the dealership uses says she needs a new driver door, the rest will be repaired. Kinda stinks on such a new car. Good thing its a leased vehicle...

On the other hand, I am surprised with how well it held up. The actual body metal is smashed badly, but structurally the door is perfect, still seals, opens fine with no creaks, just the body work can't be repaired when it is hit that hard. Which is a good thing because my sister has had to drive it around for almost two weeks now as the insurance companies get their act together...

rollin335s 03-02-2019 06:07 AM

God, had an accident almost a week ago. My car is a 2011 E550 with only 43K on it. Bought it almost five years ago as a retirement gift to myself from the dealer used. Got lane changed and fortunately I got the guy behind to stop as a witness. Somehow limped it home 2 miles with the left front wheel well scraping slightly when turning. My adjuster came out yesterday to the house to look at the car and even though he wrote an estimate and cut a check for the shop I want to use next step is to get it to a shop. I know the tear down will have more damage. He said 12k and change and the computer will consider it totalled. So my car they claim is worth 18k? How do I get the insurance to say its worth more to cover repairs cause I want it repaired and I'm guessing its close to 12k to 14k cause my policy option is to use OEM parts only. Are there professional appraisers i can hire that will force the insurance to accept the higher value of the car thus insuring its repair? I have to contact my friend, I think he went through something like that for his parked Mopar accident. God, I woke up at 1am and now its 3am just thinking about this ****ty situation. Thanks everyone, rant over.

ChazThePhoenix 03-03-2019 02:01 PM

why not just have them total it and buy a new car? not sure I would WANT to drive something that's been that badly wrecked even after they repair it (of course - photos would help here)

they are not going to INCREASE what your car is worth. They only way would be to use aftermarket parts, which is what I would do.

sorry to hear about your accident, but its only a car and thats what insurance is for....