C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

nice facelift for the C-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
intrigue

Last edited by len56; 12-21-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:45 AM

2010 C300
I like the interior refinements better than the exterior refinements. The only exception to this is the new steering wheel. It's way too busy, and just looks distracting.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350
Originally Posted by len56
ok, the front end looks way better in video form, i hope it looks even better in real life.

until I see it for real though, I think I like the old front end better.

the interior is amazing, i love all the little lighting details

oh yeah, who makes the videos for mercedes benz.tv? i want a job there
Wow, I agree. It looks much better in that video.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:11 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by blue00r6
I always hate people that gripe over the new versions...
Half of the case is the truth, and the other half is denial. When the W204 was just recently released, I had noticed some of the members here put "W203 FTMW, W204 FTML", and "W203 forever", etc on their signatures .. lol really.. cmon, that's denial at its best. However some of the MB newer versions were simply less attractive than the previous models, even after several years.
I'm looking for a W204 for my wife, and I think the facelifted model would suit her very well.

And for those of you who had mentioned that the steering wheel was acura like, or looked like it was ripped off a new honda civic, you maybe right, but try to look at the 2012 CLS.
Obviously, the new W204 steering wheel and center console are taking lots of clues from there, and a touch from W212.

Last edited by mbars; 12-27-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:20 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Or is the CLS downgrading by taking the wheel off of the cheaper price pointed, facelifted W204 (which came out first)?

Funny how marketing can play tricks on you. For example, people like to call the C-Class star grille, the "CL Grille", when you can say the CL has the "C-Class grille", or ML grille, R-Class grille, etc. etc.

Or the SLS using bits that go down to even the C range inside (center stack buttons, etc.), is the C using SLS parts, or the SLS using C parts?

Knowing that these companies are out for the bottom dollar, of course the case here is going to be a glass-half-empy, unfortunately. Hate to sound like a pessimist, but it's truth.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:24 AM

2008 C300 Sport, 2010 RX350 AWD
I like the new interior, however, I also like the old interior, IMO, they are just different style, hard to say which one is better or which one is worse, it is all about personal perference..

HOWEVER, I DISLIKE THE NEW STEERING WHEEL. I still like the original C63 AMG version steering the best...
Old 12-27-2010, 01:07 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by K-A
Or is the CLS downgrading by taking the wheel off of the cheaper price pointed, facelifted W204 (which came out first)?

Funny how marketing can play tricks on you. For example, people like to call the C-Class star grille, the "CL Grille", when you can say the CL has the "C-Class grille", or ML grille, R-Class grille, etc. etc.

Or the SLS using bits that go down to even the C range inside (center stack buttons, etc.), is the C using SLS parts, or the SLS using C parts?

Knowing that these companies are out for the bottom dollar, of course the case here is going to be a glass-half-empy, unfortunately. Hate to sound like a pessimist, but it's truth.
Makes sense. However I do think that the process is to come up with a general design concept for the upcoming interior, which at first probably just encompasses general layout, design directions, the feels. Then the next step probably would be button and function layout, materials, colors, shapes, etc. Once the general design concept is approved, then the next step is to make variances for different models. I believe this is when the subtractions and additions happen. Maybe for C class they take several items out, maybe material selections, or maybe simplify some of the shapes, take some buttons off, delete some chrome trims, etc.
Then maybe for the more expensive models, they add things here and there, make some of the shapes more elegant, etc.

This concept design might very well be fleshed out one or two years before the release. So back in 2009, they probably have come up with a full line up of new interiors for the upcoming new and facelift models. So even if model A is released prior to model B, it doesn’t mean model B interior is borrowing from model A, although it may seem that way. This probably seems to contradict with what I posted earlier, but I was just simplifying the thinking process.

Now, let's look at how MB marketing team has sequenced the press release here. First, the 2012 CLS, then several months later, the facelifted W204. Why do you think the new W204 wasn’t announced the same time with the 2012 CLS during Paris auto show? Because it wasn’t ready yet? I highly doubt it. They deliberately held off the announcement of the new W204, to create the impression that the CLS is still the pioneer, in exterior form, and interior design.
What works too, is to create the impression that the C interior is borrowing from the CLS. Not the other way around. To create the impression that the little brother is looking up to the big brother. That’s one of the many aspects that MB marketing team has been successfully implemented to us.
I strongly believe this was on their agenda since years and years ago, what models to be announced on what auto show, etc.

So maybe the case here is not exactly glass half-empty, at least that’s what I hope for
I agree with you regarding the marketing part, one of its fundamental roles is to play tricks on you. Just my 2c.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:08 PM

Waiting for W204 Facelift
Interior looks good, but headlighs not. I would prefer old style headlights
i would wait from mercedes to change rear design ....really dissappointed
Old 12-27-2010, 04:17 PM

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by blue00r6
lol.. they look identical to the 4 door bmw 3 series headlights
You're right and that's so sad. When I saw the new pics, I thought WTF, this looks like a 3-series!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
Originally Posted by ImmaBeSmug2
You're right and that's so sad. When I saw the new pics, I thought WTF, this looks like a 3-series!
Headlights look nothing like the 3 series. There are MANY vehicles that have headlights like this general shape. If you take a look at mercedes portfolio the C is design elements from other vehicles. The front bumper flares however resemble much of the 3 series. Not sure if this has anything to do with you Euro standards but i know a few years ago, that was one reason by we started seeing a lot of rather "flat" front ends. Headlights to me resemble S, ML, and SL class just adapted to the design elements that make the C class.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:13 PM

CLS550
The way I see it, the new W204 headlight design is the continuation of MB new trend, which to incorporate some kind of bulge on the outward ends. I believe it started with the 2009 SL, then continued through the facelifted CL, even the W212 adopted these clues somehow, and now the W204. Take a look at the pictures below.
And of course they didn't apply this design to every single model.

To me personally, I don't mind the bulge. But the C shape LEDs on the inward side close to the grille look very childish, there is no elegance to it. But then maybe the C is meant to be a little juvenile.
It reminds me of all of the oddly shaped LED rows on Audis, they seemed cute at first, but after a while they look just too much.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by mbars
Makes sense. However I do think that the process is to come up with a general design concept for the upcoming interior, which at first probably just encompasses general layout, design directions, the feels. Then the next step probably would be button and function layout, materials, colors, shapes, etc. Once the general design concept is approved, then the next step is to make variances for different models. I believe this is when the subtractions and additions happen. Maybe for C class they take several items out, maybe material selections, or maybe simplify some of the shapes, take some buttons off, delete some chrome trims, etc.
Then maybe for the more expensive models, they add things here and there, make some of the shapes more elegant, etc.

This concept design might very well be fleshed out one or two years before the release. So back in 2009, they probably have come up with a full line up of new interiors for the upcoming new and facelift models. So even if model A is released prior to model B, it doesn’t mean model B interior is borrowing from model A, although it may seem that way. This probably seems to contradict with what I posted earlier, but I was just simplifying the thinking process.

Now, let's look at how MB marketing team has sequenced the press release here. First, the 2012 CLS, then several months later, the facelifted W204. Why do you think the new W204 wasn’t announced the same time with the 2012 CLS during Paris auto show? Because it wasn’t ready yet? I highly doubt it. They deliberately held off the announcement of the new W204, to create the impression that the CLS is still the pioneer, in exterior form, and interior design.
What works too, is to create the impression that the C interior is borrowing from the CLS. Not the other way around. To create the impression that the little brother is looking up to the big brother. That’s one of the many aspects that MB marketing team has been successfully implemented to us.
I strongly believe this was on their agenda since years and years ago, what models to be announced on what auto show, etc.

So maybe the case here is not exactly glass half-empty, at least that’s what I hope for
I agree with you regarding the marketing part, one of its fundamental roles is to play tricks on you. Just my 2c.
Well put, and yeah that definitely makes sense as well.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Stuttgart-UT
I don't find keeping those 17 spoke wheels clean very appealing.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Originally Posted by K-A

Or we could just say they're all using MB parts and not worry about such minor details. There's only so much engineering that can go into a button and it would be pointless for MB to design different switchgear for every model. MB switchgear, even in the C-Class, is among the best in the industry anyway.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:39 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by C300Kid
Or we could just say they're all using MB parts and not worry about such minor details. There's only so much engineering that can go into a button and it would be pointless for MB to design different switchgear for every model. MB switchgear, even in the C-Class, is among the best in the industry anyway.
True to an extent, but if I bought a $180K SLS, I wouldn't be happy with some identical parts from a $30somethingK C-Class. Hell, I'm not even a fan of an E having parts from a C, or CLS having parts from a C (steering wheel and A/C knob are identical, not to mention silver painted buttons under the radio, etc.), or if I had an S, then parts from the E, etc. etc.

This sharing is obviously part of the reason why M-B can afford to make a $180K car though, while leaving you confident that the car is supported, i.e unlike Aston or Maserati, who are exclusive, but you have no idea where the company will be tomorrow, and have no idea how much backing you'll have if/when problems start to arise.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:04 PM

wtf that too much better

now that will kill the value of our current model blehhh
Old 01-02-2011, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
I remember reading a long time ago, I think it was when Dieter Zetsche took control of Daimler/MB Cars, that one of his initiatives was to reduce the number of redundant parts. The example the article gave was steering wheels, at that time there was some ridiculous number of different steering wheel variants that MB used. I think it's ok to share steering wheel designs as long as they are well made. After all, how many different ways can you make a steering wheel.

At least they are sharing MB parts, it's not like it's a Japanese brand sharing parts with their non-luxury brand. (e.g. Toyota parts in a Lexus).
Old 01-02-2011, 07:27 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

M-B will soon be sharing their parts/chassic/engines (and even AMG badges, purportedly) with Nissan, so the "fear" here is; once Deiter starts sharing parts from the C up to the CLS, and even up to the SLS, and the "code of conduct" in that regard is broken.... Then it's only a matter of time before the bean counters start adding up the profits, and M-B start sharing with Japanese, etc. companies (I've heard rumors about working with Chinese companies, in fact).
Old 01-04-2011, 04:05 PM

C350
but if the wheels don't have calipers what can you do

Last edited by len56; 12-21-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:55 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
interior is win...exterior change feels alright (makes the C63 looks 100x better than current tho)...

damn this car is going to be 4 yr old when 2012 model comes around....
Old 01-05-2011, 02:52 PM

Lexus GS 450h
I like the pre-face lift front end but the interior revision looks great!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:15 PM

1. new facelift or new face reminds us Skoda Octavia too much yes mercedes is mercedes.

2. 4 cylinders engines -except usa-canada- with facelift will have 7- G tronic

3. for me interesting option is DISTRONIC PLUS . we see it upper segments option now available . i think it could be very different experience that it makes the car slow with radars.

4. electric vehicles are increasing rapidly. mercedes should have released electric engines option with facelift. probably they wait w205 or last year of w204
Old 01-11-2011, 09:43 AM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by ismeto
4. electric vehicles are increasing rapidly. mercedes should have released electric engines option with facelift. probably they wait w205 or last year of w204
I think going to an electric powertrain is asking a little much of a facelift Hell, a new dashboard had people urinating in their pants! People are talking about hating their car now because there's a facelift version with a new dash! They'd probably be suicidal if it also had an electric option!

Seriously, though, I wouldn't expect W205 to have an electric powertain option either, at least not when it debuts. In fact, I'd bet it'll never have it. I'd put my money on "W206" (or whatever the generation after W205 will be).

That is, I'd say electric before 2020 would surprise me. And by then, W205 will be 6 years old.

Thing is, yes, there are electric cars now. But none from a premium nameplate yet. I don't think Mercedes, BMW or Audi will put their name on an electric car until it provides an experience they feel is worthy of the name. Remember, Mercedes has bragged openly about the YEARS they invested designing and engineering the W204, and it's just another sedan. I mean, they've been building sedans for a hundred years.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by encoder
there's a facelift version with a new dash! They'd probably be suicidal if it also had an electric option!

this story is true or not i do not know i heard somewhere .they had said It is RULE for carmakers !

carmakers must release next same name car after minimum 5 years of its beginning new model for saving clients from decreasing their car value! (I checked time after written my message I think it is true 2007-2012 !)
seeing new facelifted face i shocked first ! I would not expect radical change from mercedes this is like over-facelifted

Last edited by ismeto; 01-11-2011 at 03:58 PM.