C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Sprint booster initial thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
Sprint booster initial thoughts

I installed a sprint booster in my c350 today & it has really woken up the car. I dont see too much use for the "green" setting, but the "red" one really gives the car some kick.

I know my car has power becuase I can feel it pull when im in manual shifting mode, but when im not, the car felt sluggish and there is a throttle delay. I have spoken to automotive editors who drive all sorts of cars & they have noticed that MB's are like this, probably to give a smoother, more luxurious drive... also not to kill MPG's.

Now with the sprint booster on, the car kicks off the line and you feel the power sooner... right away actually. I know the sprint booster doesnt increase HP/Torque, but it helps deliver the existing power differently.

The RPM's climb higher before shifting (before it would shift at 2K rpm alot of the time) Of course you can still drive the car the way it was before by easing up on the throttle or by changing the sprint booster mode.

I noticed that now when stepping on the gas the car might downshift 2 gears whereas before it would sometimes just downshift one gear.

So my initial impression is that the sprint booster is a good buy and Im happy with it, although my MPG decreased by a few MPG's but thats expected.

I will note that I have the powerchip too & maybe that is why I'm so pleased because they work well together.

I feel like the car would have been great if it came from the factory this way, but then they would not be able to publish the EPA rated MPG's where they did... lol
Old 02-11-2011, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 c350
I wanted to get this but I didn't know how it would work my with my tune , I might do it after all once I'm done with other mods .
Old 02-11-2011, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I don't see the point of spending $300 to give you a "lead foot". All it does is tell the car the pedal is "further to the metal" than it really is. As in, you press the gas pedal 1/4 of the way, and it changes it to tell the car the pedal is pushed 1/2 or 3/4 of the way...

IMO, save $300 and just floor it!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by jctevere
I don't see the point of spending $300 to give you a "lead foot". All it does is tell the car the pedal is "further to the metal" than it really is. As in, you press the gas pedal 1/4 of the way, and it changes it to tell the car the pedal is pushed 1/2 or 3/4 of the way...

Well, I think you just answered my question jc..I was wondering if the Sprint Boost actually increased the speed of the signal to the ECU/Throttle body (which would be nice) or if it just adjusted the ratio of the actual pedal push to what the throttle body "thought" was being pushed...thanks.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
I am no engineer, so I don't know for sure. But I don't see how its physically possible to increase the speed of the signal transmission. It is already electronic, so the only way to increase speed (theoretically, not practically) is less steps, a shorter cable or a cable with less resistance. Which, if you look at the sprint booster, would in fact slow the signal by adding another step, making the cable longer, and adding more resistance... If they figured out a way to increase the speed, I would consider it "traveling faster than the speed of light", in which, we should give them the Nobel peace prize.

But like I said, I have no idea how it "actually" works. I am just giving my opinion. Perhaps someone more versed in this field would be able to confirm or refute my position.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class

Jctevere, Sprint Booster doesnt give you a lead foot. It simply gives you access to the power you already have. Sooner. Our technology is for more advanced than people give us credit for at first glance. The microprocessor in the unit is analyzing your inputs on the pedal and translating that in to a signal that is more in line with what you truly want.

WOT or Partial Throttle. Sprint Booster understands what you want and delivers that signal "message" to the ECU without the delay.

While we value your opinion on saving $300 and "just floor it!" we would like you to try it and if you happen to not like it, we will refund your money. If the answer is no thanks! Then we will one up that even further. We will pay for the shipping both ways. If it does or doesnt work to your liking, post on here your entire experience and what you discovered.

Sprint Booster is something that you simply have to try to understand.

Originally Posted by Scat01
Well, I think you just answered my question jc..I was wondering if the Sprint Boost actually increased the speed of the signal to the ECU/Throttle body (which would be nice) or if it just adjusted the ratio of the actual pedal push to what the throttle body "thought" was being pushed...thanks.
Unfortunately there are many misconceptions on how Sprint Booster works. Our product is very advanced. We engineered it to eliminate the delay that nearly every Electronic Throttle Body Mercedes Benz has.

Last edited by SprintBooster; 02-11-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:03 PM

C350
I was skeptical too but I have read good things about it here & also on the Porsche forums so I decided to try it. Its hard to describe, but it really does make the car more fun to drive.

If you guys haven't tried it & are giving feedback on a product you've never tried, its like saying something tastes gross before even tasting it. Maybe you can see if the seller will give you a trial period so you can decide if you like it or not?

There is a GB going on right now on this forum, check it out.

This mornings short commute was much more fun & actually put a grin on my face which the C350 never has done before. I can see why there is a switch now, I can see myself using the "green" mode sometimes.

MPG for the short morning commute was reduced 1-2 MPG.

Just saw that Sprint booster replied, free trial, I recommend the skeptics who want to try it take him up on the trial offer, there is nothing to lose. It may not be for everyone but I like it. I may get one for my 911 as well.

Last edited by delirium; 02-11-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 PM

C350
I am no engineer, so I don't know for sure. But I don't see how its physically possible to increase the speed of the signal transmission. It is already electronic, so the only way to increase speed (theoretically, not practically) is less steps, a shorter cable or a cable with less resistance. Which, if you look at the sprint booster, would in fact slow the signal by adding another step, making the cable longer, and adding more resistance... If they figured out a way to increase the speed, I would consider it "traveling faster than the speed of light", in which, we should give them the Nobel peace prize.

But like I said, I have no idea how it "actually" works. I am just giving my opinion. Perhaps someone more versed in this field would be able to confirm or refute my position.
Yea I hear ya, It doest make your car faster. Its just that the power my C350 had before the Sprint Booster wasn't given to me immediately. It felt like there is some sort of lag to make acceleration smooth programmed into the computer.

I would use manual mode & feel the power on the freeway previously so I knew it was in there, but now with the sprint booster, its given to me earlier than it did before. hard to explain but try it, you might like it.

I think they key here is that the car is more fun to drive because of respose, its not actually any faster tho... I know it sounds weird cuz I was skeptical too, but im happy with it.

Last edited by delirium; 02-11-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
Originally Posted by delirium
I was skeptical too but I have read good things about it here & also on the Porsche forums so I decided to try it. Its hard to describe, but it really does make the car more fun to drive.

If you guys haven't tried it & are giving feedback on a product you've never tried, its like saying something tastes gross before even tasting it. Maybe you can see if the seller will give you a trial period so you can decide if you like it or not?

There is a GB going on right now on this forum, check it out.

This mornings short commute was much more fun & actually put a grin on my face which the C350 never has done before. I can see why there is a switch now, I can see myself using the "green" mode sometimes.

MPG for the short morning commute was reduced 1-2 MPG.

Just saw that Sprint booster replied, free trial, I recommend the skeptics who want to try it take him up on the trial offer, there is nothing to lose. It may not be for everyone but I like it. I may get one for my 911 as well.
Just wanted to add to that.

Sprint Booster USA is the Master Distributor for Sprint Booster in North America. We made sure to make the process of purchasing a Sprint Booster as simple and trouble free as possible. If you purchase a Sprint Booster and you are not satisfied with the product. You can return it within 30 Days. You get your money back. So the only thing you are investing is a few minutes of your time.

We stand by our product 100%. If you have any questions please feel free to email us at info@sprintboosterusa.com or call 1-877-225-5577
Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
Originally Posted by SprintBooster

While we value your opinion on saving $300 and "just floor it!" we would like you to try it and if you happen to not like it, we will refund your money. If the answer is no thanks! Then we will one up that even further. We will pay for the shipping both ways. If it does or doesnt work to your liking, post on here your entire experience and what you discovered.
Now that's world class service.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 PM

C350
Sprint Booster, any super pricing for return customers? Thinking about buying another one.

I bought mine through throttle boost's group buy on this forum though.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
http://peony888.com/VS/SprintBooster.pdf

Here is really what it does. It seems that for people looking to get their car "feeling faster" as in having less pedal travel to more acceleration, this is great.

But IMO sport mode does good enough for me, and I would rather put the money towards a ECU tune or other performance upgrades. I could say a lot more but I would rather remain courteous.

Heck, its risk free, so if your curious, try it!
Old 02-11-2011, 02:32 PM

thats what i her and reading on reviews too

lets ask this way
can my 0-60 or top speed be better with spring booster?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
http://peony888.com/VS/SprintBooster.pdf

Here is really what it does. It seems that for people looking to get their car "feeling faster" as in having less pedal travel to more acceleration, this is great.

But IMO sport mode does good enough for me, and I would rather put the money towards a ECU tune or other performance upgrades. I could say a lot more but I would rather remain courteous.

Heck, its risk free, so if your curious, try it!
Jctevere. Again, there are misconceptions about our product and how it operates. The document you have cited is set out to explain sprint booster in a white paper fashion. But it really doesn't explain how our product works. If you read it very closely its full of many assumptions but no where in this document is it examined in depth.

This has been discussed already on this forum. Please see link below.

https://mbworld.org/forums/4491706-post169.html

Remaining courteous is great. But we would like to hear about any questions or hesitations you have about our product. While ECU flashes are great for enhancing the performance aspects of your engine. The lag that is present in your electronic drive by wire system will still remain. We know this because no one has spent more time R&D a solution to this problem.

Sprint Booster USA
Old 02-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
Sprint Booster, any super pricing for return customers? Thinking about buying another one.

I bought mine through throttle boost's group buy on this forum though.
Unfortunately, Sprint Booster USA must maintain MSRP. Please speak with the authorized Sprint Booster Dealer / Reseller about any promotions that are going on at this time.

Thank you for your business, we are happy that you enjoy using our product.

Sprint Booster USA

Originally Posted by -Reno-
thats what i her and reading on reviews too

lets ask this way
can my 0-60 or top speed be better with spring booster?
The short answer for that is. From independent testing in media circles. There are some vehicles that report an improvement in 0-60 times. Please keep in mind that every vehicle is different, but we encourage all of our customers to share their entire experience with us and on the forums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdafHRwAZeQ

Last edited by SprintBooster; 02-11-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:10 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by SprintBooster
Jctevere. Again, there are misconceptions about our product and how it operates. The document you have cited is set out to explain sprint booster in a white paper fashion. But it really doesn't explain how our product works. If you read it very closely its full of many assumptions but no where in this document is it examined in depth.

This has been discussed already on this forum. Please see link below.

<SNIP>

Sprint Booster USA
Ok, so not to get into product bashing at all, I agree 100% that some people like the SprintBooster.

Saying that the reference white paper does not explain the SprintBooster is a bit misleading.

I'm not Dick Bipes - nor do I claim to be. I have, however, tested a Sprint booster (older non-flashie LED model), using a bit different methodology. About the only thing that Dick didn't say in his white paper was "non-linear op amp". You are doing a a/d conversion, pouring the signal into a PIC to amplify it, then converting back d/a and out to the ECU.

To be fair, it's properly done, and in the version I played with, did not over amplify the signal sent back to the ECU. I suspect but don't know that the ECU would consider that a "bad thing" in any event.

The above said - and again, not bashing your product - I disagree with saying it does more than what you can already do with your feet. I would also encourage you to publish a reference to an improved 0-60 time.

Last edited by UK-C200; 02-11-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: one too many beers, reversed d/a ;)
Old 02-11-2011, 04:31 PM

2008 C350 Sport
[QUOTE=jctevere;4512530]http://peony888.com/VS/SprintBooster.pdf

[QUOTE=Sprintbooster] Jctevere. Again, there are misconceptions about our product and how it operates. The document you have cited is set out to explain sprint booster in a white paper fashion. But it really doesn't explain how our product works. If you read it very closely its full of many assumptions but no where in this document is it examined in depth.

I think it is a very well written, data driven white paper that clearly explains how your product works. Can you elaborate on "how your product operates" in addition to how it is explained in the white paper? Does it do more than trick the ecu into thinking the pedal is depressed further than actual?

I do understand the feeling it provides, not having to depress the pedal as far to get the throttle response of 30% or whatever it is greater - but not sure I can justify the 250 bucks for something that seems it cannot be proven to actually increase performance.

Please give us more details - thank you.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:40 PM

<SNIP

but not sure I can justify the 250 bucks for something that seems it cannot be proven to actually increase performance.

Please give us more details - thank you.
I must be missing something - has SprintBooster now said that it increases performance? The closest I've seen is an ambiguous reference to an improved 0-60 time.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by UK-C200
I must be missing something - has SprintBooster now said that it increases performance? The closest I've seen is an ambiguous reference to an improved 0-60 time.
Originally Posted by SprintBooter
The short answer for that is. From independent testing in media circles. There are some vehicles that report an improvement in 0-60 times.

Just based on the statement above from the rep - and the link he provided to the video of the garage guys showing (with a stop watch and a 55 foot run) that they increased thier 0-55 foot(?) time by a tenth of a second...So yes, I would say he is claiming performance gains.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:48 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Just based on the statement above from the rep - and the link he provided to the video of the garage guys showing (with a stop watch and a 55 foot run) that they increased thier 0-55 foot(?) time by a tenth of a second...So yes, I would say he is claiming performance gains.
Also - this statement is striaght off their site claiming more impressive off the line performance...:

"Sprint Booster improves response, increases pedal input sensitivity and delivers more impressive off the line performance you can really feel"
Old 02-11-2011, 04:59 PM

I'll wait for SprintBooster to answer. If they want to ship one out for lab testing, I'm game to hook up the O-Scope and a pedal - as long as I get to publish the results.... :-)

At the end of the day, he's offered what sounds like a win-win for anyone who wants to try one - money back guarantee. Don't know about you, but I can't floor it in my '55 from a dead stop anyway unless I want either flashing ESP or loads of smoke.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
Ok, so not to get into product bashing at all, I agree 100% that some people like the SprintBooster.

Saying that the reference white paper does not explain the SprintBooster is a bit misleading.

I'm not Dick Bipes - nor do I claim to be. I have, however, tested a Sprint booster (older non-flashie LED model), using a bit different methodology. About the only thing that Dick didn't say in his white paper was "non-linear op amp". You are doing a a/d conversion, pouring the signal into an non-linear op amp, then converting back d/a and out to the ECU.

To be fair, it's properly done, and in the version I played with, did not over amplify the signal sent back to the ECU. I suspect but don't know that the ECU would consider that a "bad thing" in any event.

The above said - and again, not bashing your product - I disagree with saying it does more than what you can already do with your feet. I would also encourage you to publish a reference to an improved 0-60 time.
UK-C200, we actually prefer the free exchange of opinions and perspectives.

In regards to an example of 0-60 times, I have one reference. Once I locate further documents that we have an electronic copy of we will post them on our website. In this case, its a 4X4 example.

www.sprintboosterusa.com/download/jeep.pdf
Old 02-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
I'll wait for SprintBooster to answer. If they want to ship one out for lab testing, I'm game to hook up the O-Scope and a pedal - as long as I get to publish the results.... :-)
We are open to feedback from everyone. Please feel free to contact the regional master distributor in the UK/Europe.

In regards to Sprint Booster...
We will whole heartedly admit to anyone that this product may not be for anyone. And thats fine. But for those who are looking to increase their throttle response. We offer Sprint Booster up as an effective means to reduce Drive By Wire delay in their vehicle.

We spend a great deal of time and resources listening to customer feedback and refining our product. Dyno Testing, Track feedback with professional drivers and most importantly average customers. In North America we utilize Grand Prix Track level testing. We invite our local customers and future customers to participate when it involves the introduction or revision of an application. When our customers tell us we got it right, we know we have done a good job in creating a resolution.

Here are images from our most recent testing.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 PM

C350
Update on MPG's: reduced by 2-3 on "red" mode.

By the way, the bickering is pointless, just do the free trial & come up with your own conclusions. I dont know if my car is faster or not, but it feels different, it feels better, I can switch it back anytime I want using the button. Its worth it to me.

Test it out & then report your findings.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:35 PM

Update on MPG's: reduced by 2-3 on "red" mode.

By the way, the bickering is pointless, just do the free trial & come up with your own conclusions. I dont know if my car is faster or not, but it feels different, it feels better, I can switch it back anytime I want using the button. Its worth it to me.

Test it out & then report your findings.
My friend, I'm not bickering. If you are happy with what you got, and what you paid for it, good to go.

SprintBooster Guys - would you like to comment on the following data? X-Axis is pedal travel, y-axis is VDC out to the ECU.

I hate to keep harping on about it, but I know the DBW system in the Mercedes pretty well. The ECU get's two voltage readings from the pedal. There is no feedback from the ECU to the pedal. The Sprintbooster plugs into an analogue system. So I'd really be interested for the SprintBooster folks to tell us what they are doing to "remove lag" - specifically in the Mercedes models - as all I see it doing is decreasing pedal travel.

I have no doubt that given that SB chose to use a processor in their units that they have the ability to load non-linear, custom adaptation curves to their units, or even some really clever other things I'd do if it was me to play around. What I do doubt is that they can do anything that you can't do with your foot.

Given that I'll have some free time in the near future, I think I'll take 'em up on the money back guarantee and put it to rest once for all - or at least for me! :P
Attached Thumbnails Sprint booster initial thoughts-sb-data-bench-run.jpg  

Last edited by UK-C200; 02-11-2011 at 07:24 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sprint booster initial thoughts