MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Goodbyeeeeee... for now :P (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/402347-goodbyeeeeee-now-p.html)

EASYDOES1T 05-30-2011 02:47 PM

Goodbyeeeeee... for now :P

So I'm off to BMT for the Air Force and I'll be storing my car for the next half year or so while I'm at Lackland AFB in Texas until I'm home for 2 weeks after all my training :( Guess it'll just be sitting in my garage for a while but does anyone have any tips on how I should keep it stored?

I don't have a car cover which sucks but I'm also worried about things like flat spots on my tires... Do you think if I tell my sister to take it out once a week it will eliminate the possibility of it? How long does it usually take for flat spots to occur on the tires? I'm thinking about putting on the stocks so if I do get flat spots it'll be on the cruddy tires :P

And can we all keep our fingers crossed that I can get my home base in Cali :D I would love to drive my car across country and see the Cali car gameeeee and of course the awesome roads and great weather. Seems like a lot of MBW members are over on the west coast anyways lol. Hopefully I'll get Travis AFB or Edwards AFB but then again, not too likely haha.

So other than a solid wash and wax, tire change, oil change (I'm due) any other tips? Any help would be appreciated cause I don't want my baby to sit in the garage and rot :smash: Hope there's nothing else I have to worry about :y

Thanks in advance!

alexlev 05-30-2011 02:57 PM

Good luck Will! :y

AkaSigFreak 05-30-2011 05:03 PM

I have never had to store a car that long, but I would suggest letting her drive it once a week to keep the battery charged, gas flowing, tires turned, and so it doesn't feel neglected.

wnunez89 05-30-2011 05:12 PM

have someone start it up and drive it at least once a week, thank you for serving are country

dynomite05 05-30-2011 05:18 PM

Thanks for your service, and good luck.

RLE 05-30-2011 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by EASYDOES1T (Post 4696137)
So I'm off to BMT for the Air Force and I'll be storing my car for the next half year or so while I'm at Lackland AFB in Texas until I'm home for 2 weeks after all my training :( Guess it'll just be sitting in my garage for a while but does anyone have any tips on how I should keep it stored?

I don't have a car cover which sucks but I'm also worried about things like flat spots on my tires... Do you think if I tell my sister to take it out once a week it will eliminate the possibility of it? How long does it usually take for flat spots to occur on the tires? I'm thinking about putting on the stocks so if I do get flat spots it'll be on the cruddy tires :P

And can we all keep our fingers crossed that I can get my home base in Cali :D I would love to drive my car across country and see the Cali car gameeeee and of course the awesome roads and great weather. Seems like a lot of MBW members are over on the west coast anyways lol. Hopefully I'll get Travis AFB or Edwards AFB but then again, not too likely haha.

So other than a solid wash and wax, tire change, oil change (I'm due) any other tips? Any help would be appreciated cause I don't want my baby to sit in the garage and rot :smash: Hope there's nothing else I have to worry about :y

Thanks in advance!

Flat spots are temporary and go away when the tires warm up. Unless the car is thoroughly warmed up by driving it at least 25 miles, I'd let it sit. The idea of letting someone take the car out periodically can lead to disaster. We have seen more than one story here where "I let my buddy drive my car and he damaged it and has no money. What do I do?"

You could add Stabil which is a commonly used fuel stabilizer to the full fuel tank. Connecting a battery maintainer (NOT a trickle charger) will keep the battery charged and you can leave it on for extended periods with no worry about overcharging and thus destroying the battery.

My Porsche has slept under cover in my garage for as long as six months with the battery maintainer plugged in the whole time and fires instantly when I decide to take it out.

C300S 6MT 05-30-2011 07:30 PM

Welcome to the military family. Good luck in boot camp...

tanktube67 05-30-2011 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by EASYDOES1T (Post 4696137)
Do you think if I tell my sister to take it out once a week

^
^^
^^^
Thats a perfect idea :y

Good luck

Spec_Davis 05-30-2011 10:07 PM

GL Will!

AZN Optics 05-31-2011 01:13 AM

Good luck :y If you get out to March ARB, LA AFB, Victorville AFB, or Vandenberg AFB, you can come out and kick it with the socal MB crew

Also with regards to a car cover, be careful if leaving it outside with a car cover as it can damage the paint if left outside for months in the elements. I've seen some horror stories all over the detailer forums on this. And have someone take it out for a quick short drive once a month and you'll be fine.

C300Kid 05-31-2011 12:55 PM

Good luck bro!!!! My brother is at Lackland right now doing the same thing. He calls once a week, says its not too bad. Hope you like heat though!

Matt_Eurojerks 05-31-2011 01:02 PM

GL Dude!!

jimmythegreek 05-31-2011 04:18 PM

Good Luck brother. Thank you for your service. I would have someone start her up every few weeks and let her warm up and rev it a few times and thats it. Fuel and tires will be fine for 6 months. Mine sat all winter without even a drive, just started it and warmed her up and let her purr a little

vraa 05-31-2011 04:19 PM

Good luck and thanks for your service

EASYDOES1T 05-31-2011 10:49 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone :)

I will talk to you guys soon and hopefully my car won't be junk when I come back lol. Thanks again!

covance 06-01-2011 03:49 AM

good luck and thank you!

myinternetsucks 06-01-2011 02:40 PM

Good luck homey! If you get Lemoore or Fresno, Ca we'll party!