MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Manual Transmission Service (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/405402-manual-transmission-service.html)

JFOUR 06-23-2011 01:43 PM

Manual Transmission Service

Hi!

Need some help please. I just made my appointment for service A, my car just turned 38,000 miles. The dealer told me on the phone that I should also get the 39K transmission fluid change and filter for the price of $289.00.

I searched the forum, referenced my owners manual and also seem to have lost my service booklet. the dealer must have kept it the last time I had it in there.

Question: Does the six speed manual transmission need the 39K service? The dealer must have assumed I had an automatic. If someone has their service booklet handy, can you check for me?

Thank you so much!

Cheers,
Joe

Rogwp 06-23-2011 02:00 PM

You can download service manuals, but I think they only mention automatic gearboxes.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...enance_manuals

Sportstick 06-23-2011 02:31 PM

I just reviewed my MB maintenance book in the glove box, and it does call out fluid changes at 40, 80, and 120 thousand miles for AUTOMATIC transmissions, but there is no listing of any fluid change for a manual transmission.

Ask your service advisor to show you the MB (not dealer) document which suggests what he is offering is needed.

C300Sport 06-23-2011 02:37 PM

They may have just been quoting from force of habit. Are you sure they realized you have a manual trans?

JFOUR 06-23-2011 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick (Post 4729087)
I just reviewed my MB maintenance book in the glove box, and it does call out fluid changes at 40, 80, and 120 thousand miles for AUTOMATIC transmissions, but there is no listing of any fluid change for a manual transmission.

Ask your service advisor to show you the MB (not dealer) document which suggests what he is offering is needed.

Sportstick, Great advice if they press the issue! Manual transmissions are so rare here in Massachusetts ,I think he was quoting me just out of habit, as C300Sport mentioned below.

Originally Posted by C300Sport (Post 4729092)
They may have just been quoting from force of habit. Are you sure they realized you have a manual trans?

You're prob 100% correct! :)

Sportstick 06-23-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by JFOUR (Post 4729397)
Manual transmissions are so rare here in Massachusetts

Rare there!?!? LOL! My Michigan dealer looked around our state, then in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and finally traded and trucked mine in from a dealer in Minnesota! :zoom:

And, for all of our automotive good taste and dedication, how does MBUSA reward us? Dropping all sticks for 2012 and beyond!! :smash::X

chalicide 06-23-2011 10:57 PM

There is in fact a transmission fluid change for a 6-speed @ 38k.

I had it done on my 08'.

Originally Posted by Sportstick (Post 4729483)
Rare there!?!? LOL! My Michigan dealer looked around our state, then in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and finally traded and trucked mine in from a dealer in Minnesota! :zoom:

And, for all of our automotive good taste and dedication, how does MBUSA reward us? Dropping all sticks for 2012 and beyond!! :smash::X

Sportstick 06-23-2011 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by chalicide (Post 4729764)
There is in fact a transmission fluid change for a 6-speed @ 38k.

I had it done on my 08'.

What is your source document, please? It is not in my 09 Service book. Is it possible they did away with it after 08, as all of our service intervals are at even 10,000 mile increments...there is no such item as a 38k service in my book.

JFOUR 06-24-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sportstick (Post 4729483)

Yeah, I'd say Michigan would also be a hard sell for RWD. I love luxury/sport sedans with manual transmissions... Here's my list: Chrysler LeBarron GTS, Audi 4000, BMW 5 series, Cadillac Catera, Nissan Maxima, SAAB 9-5, MB W203 C230K, MB W204 C300. It's sad that MB won't offer a manual in the US anymore. I'm on the 10 year plan with this car, who knows if any manufacturer will offer one by the time I am ready to purchase again. :-( I think I should be ready for a Boxter to have as my fun car by then. :)

kevink2 06-24-2011 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick (Post 4729768)
What is your source document, please? It is not in my 09 Service book. Is it possible they did away with it after 08, as all of our service intervals are at even 10,000 mile increments...there is no such item as a 38k service in my book.

Using the link in rogwp's post, I found no fluid change required for the manual trans, 2008-2011.

However, it's my experience that the special "grip" additives for the syncros tend to shear out, degrading syncro block ring performance. The oil drains clean, but I'd notice smoother shifting with the change.

I'd suggest someone with 50K on their manual to try a manual oil change with MB trans oil.

C300Kid 01-29-2012 08:34 AM

Anyone have any new findings on this? My SA just told me im overdue for my transmission service and he doesnt know why it wasn't pointed out during the previous service. He said it should be done or it could lead to a $7000 transmission replacement? Like everyone else, I assume he just thought I had an automatic.

Sportstick 01-29-2012 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by C300Kid (Post 5027042)
Anyone have any new findings on this? My SA just told me im overdue for my transmission service and he doesnt know why it wasn't pointed out during the previous service. He said it should be done or it could lead to a $7000 transmission replacement? Like everyone else, I assume he just thought I had an automatic.

Once again, I'd politely ask him to show you the MB maintenance schedule document which calls for the service on a manual transmission. Keep in mind one factor may be that SAs do receive commission on services they sell. But, if a document has been issued, we would all certainly appreciate knowing about it!

Doanster 01-29-2012 11:22 AM

Oh Glyn, where are you???? :)

kevink2 01-29-2012 11:47 AM

Based on experience with my Rx7 track car, you many want to change manual trans fluid on a regular basis, if car is driven hard.

I found that by the end of my track season with 4-5 HPDE events, I would change the trans fluid and immediately notice better shifting with less syncro grind.

Also I change the Torsen rear diff oil once a year as it turned black, and not from piston ring bypass!. This would correspond with the 4Matic center diff.

Stevedotmil 01-29-2012 01:59 PM

Does anyone know the correct fluid to replace the good with? An aftermarket alternative would be great as well.

goducks3620 06-21-2014 11:51 AM

Reviving an old thread because we just had our 2011 C300 in for A service. I asked when the manual transmission fluid should be changed, and was told "we don't service the manual transmission". Not "it shouldn't be serviced" but "we don't do it." And they don't seem to know when it should be done. WTF. I know it's a rare bird but it is the factory transmission. They couldn't find a recommendation in the computers or books there.

Car is 3 yrs old now and around 36K on it. Anyone have any idea on when it should be changed and with what?

Spec_Davis 06-22-2014 03:25 PM

never got it changed but i will be hitting the 50K mark soon so it is something to think about.

ECSTuning 06-25-2014 01:47 PM

For the DIY owners out there that are interested in changing the fluid in their manual transmission, we offer the genuine Mercedes-Benz fluid, as well as fluid transfer pumps to help make the job easy.

The Manual Transmission Fluid is available on our site HERE, or by clicking on the photo below.

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/412415_x800.jpg

The fluid transfer pumps are available HERE, or by clicking on the photo below.

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/354341_x800.jpg

If anyone has any questions about these items, please feel free to post or send a PM!

goducks3620 08-21-2015 09:24 AM

The saga continues. I appreciate the ECS tuning listing and may take the C300 to my favorite indie shop if I can't get any MB progress on this, but my update is that we've switched service to a different area MB dealer, and when they changed the oil/brake fluids/differential last week I spoke with the service manager and he's promised to get the bottom of this. Questions I had for him:

1) the 2010 C-class manual lists the fluid as MB Manual Transmission fluid, the 2011 has nothing, but I presume it's the same stuff since it's the same transmission. Can you order it?

2) I had them look at the transmission and they see the drainage plug for it. I want THEM to do this, because I don't want to void the extended warranty if there's an issue.

3) speaking of the warranty, how would they handle servicing it if something went wrong? MB must have a shop manual for that, which would include service information.

Awaiting his reply. We're at 4 years and 43K, it's about time to service this. I also should have had the clutch fluid changed last week when they did the brakes fluid change...

Plutoe 08-21-2015 01:05 PM

To save search time ------what is your VIN?