C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Rattling from around the glovebox area (audio clip included)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C180 Avantgarde
Rattling from around the glovebox area (audio clip included)

It's most noticeable when braking to a full stop, but I can also hear it slightly when driving. It doesn't seem connected to the suspension.

I've heard a similar rattling in my old 91 BMW E36 and that came from a sort of shielding connected to the brake disc - but that doesn't seem to be the issue here. I've tapped all around the cabin in the front passenger side, but I can't provoke the sound.

I've recorded the rattling which can be found here: https://rapidshare.com/files/1069326...d_10th_sek.wav

The rattling in the recording isn't as loud as the sound actually seems. It can be heard between the 8th and the 10th second and sounds like an old refrigerator turning off.

Does anyone have an idea as to where it can come from and what it can be?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:10 PM

W204 C180 Avantgarde
As an update, I can say that the rattle/sound also comes when sitting in the car after driving, with the engine turned of but the key in 2nd position. You can hear a few small electric buzz-like sounds and then the rattle comes twice from behind the glovebox.

Does anyone have an idea?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:29 AM

W204 C180 Avantgarde
Overview of components

Does anyone have an overview of the components included in the dash/behind the glovebox, so I can see, what might be loose back there? BMW has something similar to what I'm thinking of called an ETK ( in english: EPC)
Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 AM

W204 C180 Avantgarde
DanielUK1 has in this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post4796439 guided me to this thread; http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204...-glovebox.html which seems to be the exact problem that I have.

If anyone have a problem similar to me, then look it up on the link above.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Honestly, I don't think you are going to be able to find detailed information like that on this forum (though, I could be wrong). I think if you are under warranty your best bet is to go to the dealer and complain, these rattles and things are covered.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:09 PM

W204 C180 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by jctevere
Honestly, I don't think you are going to be able to find detailed information like that on this forum (though, I could be wrong). I think if you are under warranty your best bet is to go to the dealer and complain, these rattles and things are covered.
I bought the car, an 08 model, used from a Mercedes-licensed dealer 2 months ago. It's on some kind of limited 6 month warranty and I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a struggle. To quote myself from the other thread; "their reply was - even though their mechanic heard it 5 times when taking the car for a drive with me; "3 people have been out in your car and nobody (he apparently forgot the initial mechanic) have been able to reproduce it - which of course was a load of c**p, since it happens every time you do a full stop, but the car was in for something else and the mechanic just said that he would look at it, without me even asking, so I just ignored it. (stupid of me)"

But I'll just have to go back and push for them to fix it.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Could I be correct in saying that you have a right hand drive car ?. You do not mention where you are from.

In my RHD car the interior fan is just behind the glovebox . You should be able to lift the fan cover & inspect to see if it spins freely or whether it has some debris in & around it.

Also open the bonnet & listen for the sound.

If all else fails try removing the glove box . I think there is a "how too' on this forum..
Old 08-17-2011, 05:03 PM

W204 C180 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by Carsy
Could I be correct in saying that you have a right hand drive car ?. You do not mention where you are from.

In my RHD car the interior fan is just behind the glovebox . You should be able to lift the fan cover & inspect to see if it spins freely or whether it has some debris in & around it.

Also open the bonnet & listen for the sound.

If all else fails try removing the glove box . I think there is a "how too' on this forum..
I'm from Denmark, so it's an LHD.

I think the thread, which DanielUK1 referred me to, is spot on. It might very well be an A/C flap motor under the dash, but neither the less, I'm going to try the things you recommend, before taking it to the dealer - but I'll let them disassemble the glove box if necessary.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
This link is very helpful for solving unwanted noises in the W204:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204...anel-flex.html
Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
I don't even know if this is remotely related but it does mention "Model 204 Noises from Vicinity of Glove Box"

TECHINICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: LI83.00-P-048144_Ver.1

MFG Bulletin Date: 12-07-2009

Component: Body

Bulletin Summary: Revision: Content updated to provide more detail / Supersedes DTB P-B-83.30/122a Model 204 Noises from Vicinity of Glove Box

Date added to database: 03-11-2010

Now you can receive the same Full TSB Content that Dealers get for ALL Service Bulletins ever issued for this model car plus ALL Bulletins issued for the next 12 months.
I dont even know where you can look up more info on it, but its worth pursuing if you end up at a dealer to check it out!