C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-09-2015, 01:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

COMAND Software Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport, ex 2007 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Where is the version menu located?
In the Engineering menu, look under HU information, and on the third page, you will find HU version.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic
HU for me is 09 09 00, so im guessing im out of date?

*edit* called dealer and they say they have 'one in stock' version 1 of 2011, so im guessing thats 11 01 00? so your dealer must have something newer then mine. And they also told me that updates are NOT covered by warranty, only if something goes wrong is it a warranty thing.....

Last edited by xolinlevh; 08-23-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:05 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Also, just called MB customer support to see what they say the most current version is, and they told me there arent updates for command, just for maps, and its NOT covered by warranty....im so confused right now.....
Old 08-23-2011, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C240 4MATIC, 2010 ML350
The MB customer support line doesn't always know all of these details. It's really a crap shoot when calling them. Do you have a good relationship with a service adviser at your dealer? The good ones (hard to find sometimes) have all of this information.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:52 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by ChrisBrown
The MB customer support line doesn't always know all of these details. It's really a crap shoot when calling them. Do you have a good relationship with a service adviser at your dealer? The good ones (hard to find sometimes) have all of this information.
Well, this is my first benz, my first car ive bought myself for that matter (not a parental hand me down) and i only got it ~3 weeks aog, so im brand new to the dealership......Theres one girl there whos really nice and has helped me each time ive brought it in (new plates, clear bra, broken cup holder ) but i have miss-placed her card....
Old 08-23-2011, 05:32 PM

Well, this is my first benz, my first car ive bought myself for that matter (not a parental hand me down) and i only got it ~3 weeks aog, so im brand new to the dealership......Theres one girl there whos really nice and has helped me each time ive brought it in (new plates, clear bra, broken cup holder ) but i have miss-placed her card....
Big mistake - Never misplace a helpful / friendly girl's business card.. especially if she's cute too. And always remember to say thank you. A compliment every now and then helps too.

Just giving you a hard time bud.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:48 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by ucfbeta92
Big mistake - Never misplace a helpful / friendly girl's business card.. especially if she's cute too. And always remember to say thank you. A compliment every now and then helps too.

Just giving you a hard time bud.
grabbed my entire service pack/manual thing from the car and it had her card, dont think shes working today, keeps going to her voicemail. Not sure what to do here, if the dealer thinks that its not covered, do i start a argument with them and try to convince them its covered? looked through the service and warranty packet and theres no real mention of maps or command stuff in it, so not sure what to do now =/
Old 08-23-2011, 06:04 PM

grabbed my entire service pack/manual thing from the car and it had her card, dont think shes working today, keeps going to her voicemail. Not sure what to do here, if the dealer thinks that its not covered, do i start a argument with them and try to convince them its covered? looked through the service and warranty packet and theres no real mention of maps or command stuff in it, so not sure what to do now =/
I guess this is what I would do: ask the SA, if the SA says no, and you're willing to wait till the next time you take your car in for some other service, then make an appointment with a different SA. Or, instead of waiting, ask to talk to the Service Director (or whoever is the head honcho over there). Explain politely but stand your ground that you know what you're talking about and it's been done for other clients. Explain that you're talking about the COMAND firmware / software, and not asking for a free Navigation map update.

If you're asked why, you can tell them that you are having issues with Auxiliary input (volume too low) and you heard that the new version of the COMAND software has a volume "Boost" feature, and helps with intermittent Bluetooth static issues. (make it sound reasonable enough to where it doesn't seem like you just want an update for the heck of it).

If all else fails, visit another MB dealership in your area. You may have better luck there. I'd say don't give up until you've exhausted all avenues.

I'd say don't have an argument because you risk having that SA go around telling his co-workers and his boss and you'll get labelled as a jerk. Then you'll have a hard time trying to get them to do anything for you.

I've only had a major disagreement with an SA once, and I just asked to see his boss because arguing with him was going to serve no purpose. The boss was able to resolve a particular issue that I'd been trying for months to get addressed. I don't deal with that SA anymore, but I always go back to that dealership for almost everything.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Is it laid out anywhere in the warranty documentation that the command updates are included in the coverage? If i have to go argue my point with the SA id like to have something to back me up
Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 AM

That I don't know. I haven't ever really asked to see what they would cover under the factory warranty. I just know that it covers above and beyond what you're average japanese or korean car warranty would ever cover.

Perhaps someone else on this forum would know more about what is explicitly covered under this warranty.

Things I know that are not covered: tires, brakes, transmission fluid / brake fluid flush, floor mats, oil changes, etc.

Things that have been covered for me over the time I've owned my previous Benz and this one: dead headlamp, turn signal mounted on side-view mirror, replacement of various pieces of trim (that were peeling, or in one case, a broken plastic piece of trim under driver seat), now the comand software update, removal of a home-burned CD that was stuck in the CD drive (apparently my W203 didn't like home-burned CDs, and there was an internal MB memo about that, and they could have asked me to pay for it). What I don't know is how many of these things they were required to do under factory warranty and how much of it was done as a customer satisfaction / courtesy to win my business. I certainly appreciate it all.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 AM

2011 E550 4Matic
So while driving in to work today i was fiddling around with teh system, and noticed i have the boost option available in my AUX input screen, so I do have the newest version then? Maybe the HU version is somethign else? I think i may just bring the car in and ask them to look at it and see what they say needs updating, command, maps, etc, just to get a definitive answer, while still trying to prove the update should be under the warranty.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:51 AM

I could've sworn that I didn't have the Boost feature before the update, but maybe I'm wrong.. If all I got from the update was an analog clock and some stars and clouds, that'd be pretty funny. Oh well, at least I got some billable work done for a project while I was waiting at the dealership.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 AM

2011 E550 4Matic
Makes me really wish MB had a website listing the current versions of the software, changes through the various versions.....so i could tell what i have, because i also have the analog clock, but not the changing header thing, no stars/sun stuff changing
Old 08-24-2011, 02:45 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
So called dealer today, nice girls still not in Called the MB support line again, hoping for a more intelligent rep, described the situation:
"friend of mine got his COMMAND software updated recently, wanted to check if mines still eligible under the warranty for the update"
and i got back:
"ya mean the maps err something? You need to ask your dealer about that" jesus.....
"No, the actual command software"
"ya like sometimes they do that if like there's a problem with it, but nah like its not a warranty thing if there ain't a problem with it, i dont think.....talk to your dealer"
"Can you then tell me what the most current version of the COMMAND software is?"
"you would need to ask your dealer that"

So once again, no help at all. And worse, whats the point of the MB help phone # if the person who answers dosent know anything and just says 'ask your dealer'......
Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'12 E550 4M, '14 ML5504M
I spent an interesting afternoon on the phone with the dealership I purchased my C300 from. They are quite adamant there is no updates for Command software. So are they not supposed to update Command units or something?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:21 PM

2009 c300 mercedes benz
Yay, got my COMAND software update today from MB dealer!! (for best effect, say it in your best 'Special Ed' from Crank Yankers voice)

Changes: Analog clock displays in System menu; time continues to show on NAVI full-screen; in NAVI Bird-eye mode, the sky color for day and night have been updated (color gradient in day mode, stars in night mode); in AUX mode, addition of a Volume menu with two options: Standard and Boost; maybe it's my eyes, but the MB boot-up logo looks a little different too (nice different). There might be more, but that's all I've found.

From reading other threads, I knew that A2DP / bluetooth streaming wasn't going to happen, but I was still hoping. No luck. Checked the engineering menu as well, but HU Parameters still doesn't show BT Audio (like it does for our friends in the E-Class). Oh well, I'll live.

If interested, I can put up some pictures of the post-update COMAND.

Oh, and the best part is, I didn't lose my phone numbers / saved destinations, etc. They said it would take 2-3 hours and I got my car back in the promised time. Free under factory warranty, but I was told folks on CPO warranty or any extended warranty would have to pay for the software update.

Hope this is helpful.

Note to Mods: If you'd like to merge this with another thread, please feel free to do so.
You mean the 40,000 miles or 4 year warranty ? ,, I want to do this to my car. Can you post pictures? What about the navigation map update have you done that? is it free too? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by jsoto1
You mean the 40,000 miles or 4 year warranty ? ,, I want to do this to my car. Can you post pictures? What about the navigation map update have you done that? is it free too? Thanks.
There is no 40,000 mile warranty. The factory warranty is 4yr/50,000 miles.

I did post pictures in this thread- just scroll up or look on the previous page.

I haven't updated the nav maps yet, but I intend to soon. Keep in mind that the dealer will not update maps for free.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 PM

So once again, no help at all. And worse, whats the point of the MB help phone # if the person who answers dosent know anything and just says 'ask your dealer'......
It's the 'ask your dealer' hotline.. lol

Originally Posted by iGeorge
I spent an interesting afternoon on the phone with the dealership I purchased my C300 from. They are quite adamant there is no updates for Command software. So are they not supposed to update Command units or something?
I'm beginning to think this is one of those things where the dealer isn't required to do by MB HQ, rather it is left to each dealer's discretion. Some may not know / not be interested in spending the time.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:32 AM

2011 E550 4Matic
It's the 'ask your dealer' hotline.. lol

I'm beginning to think this is one of those things where the dealer isn't required to do by MB HQ, rather it is left to each dealer's discretion. Some may not know / not be interested in spending the time.
Ah joy, well based on the info ive gotten here and via PM, it looks like i might have the latest version already....so im gonna let this go :P next time im in for service/cleaning though i will ask them to check the version of command and the maps, see what they say then
Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'12 E550 4M, '14 ML5504M
I on the other hand, am breaking out my pirate outfit and going on a mission! I want an update! My Command unit is working pretty well, but now it's a matter of principle! My car is both CPO AND under factory warranty, and I want that darned update!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:25 PM

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
^^agreed. Would it be so difficult for M-Benz to have suppplied a dedicated line that says: Software Version? Why is everything so cryptic?

I received a postcard in the mail for my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee telling me to head to the dealer to get a software update. The update was going to fix the iPhone4 and Uconnect (Jeeps Bluetooth) issues so I made a beeline for the dealership (I have an iP4). If Jeep can send a postcard, certainly M-Benz can...
Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 PM

Somewhere out there, there is an MB rep who hates this forum for all the grief it causes them..
Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 AM

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
^^I am sure that is quite true and could be said for all forums . You'd think they'd do something about it then...hehe

FWIW, my 2008 does not have the boost option under AUX.

Last edited by mhass350; 08-26-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:16 AM

2011 E550 4Matic
Getting a copy of the map update disks from another user on here, so once i flash those on, ill be up to date for that, still havent gotten a straight answer from mb or my dealer about command lol
Old 08-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Getting a copy of the map update disks from another user on here, so once i flash those on, ill be up to date for that, still havent gotten a straight answer from mb or my dealer about command lol
Me too.. Hopefully it will be shipped over the weekend.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: COMAND Software Update