MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Bad steering lock and ignition module $1900!!! (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/417787-bad-steering-lock-ignition-module-1900-a.html)

6speeddave 12-17-2016 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by IGB (Post 6997476)
Good luck.... and please update us once you get a diagnosis.

I have an update. Turned out the battery was a non-AGM unit and had been leaking for quite some time underneath. New AGM battery and all is well. Thanks for your input.

FiveG 01-30-2018 09:03 AM

2012 GLK with 126,000 miles. All was well until this weekend, when car wouldn't start, and stuck in park, despite 2-month old battery (installed by MB Dealership) and all lights working. Was able to make it work the first time with jiggling the wheel. Sunday morning, however, no luck. Eventually found gear shift release, so it could be flat-bedded to my local dealership (thank you AAA).

Unfortunately, at this mileage, I'm outside even the extended warranty I bought when I took delivery of the GLK. I really like it a lot, so I hope that this isn't going to be an "enuf is enuf" repair.

W204Motorsports 01-31-2018 01:46 PM

People, you need to find someone locally or have the ESL, ignition switch and key shipped to these people :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-W2...-/232253477608

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-W2...-/253001851407

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-EI...-/263286667821

Make sure you get the "Emulator" aka this https://www.abkeys.com/abk-3893-merc...or-fatal-error

You can buy that and just send it to them, they will need to code it to your key. This will eliminate the mechanical part of the lock so your steering wheel will never lock again and will never leave you stranded, I've hurd of people paying 2000$ at the dealer only for the ESL to fail again in a few years, get the emulators and never worry about it again.

DJK 02-20-2018 10:02 PM

steering wheel does not lock

My 2010 E550 did not start for a few days but has now started with no problem for several days. An electric tech sent me to a mechanic to remove ESL/EIS, and mechanic said I had to go to a dealer because they have the"codes" and won't release them. Can someone clarify if only a dealer can deal with ESL/EIS or if independent shop can repair/replace. I am hearing different things on these posts, and not sure if year and chassis matters. Thanks in advance. DK

IGB 02-21-2018 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by DJK (Post 7386289)
My 2010 E550 did not start for a few days but has now started with no problem for several days. An electric tech sent me to a mechanic to remove ESL/EIS, and mechanic said I had to go to a dealer because they have the"codes" and won't release them. Can someone clarify if only a dealer can deal with ESL/EIS or if independent shop can repair/replace. I am hearing different things on these posts, and not sure if year and chassis matters. Thanks in advance. DK

Since EIS ESL are described as "theft-related parts", Mercedes Benz will only ship these parts to Mercedes Benz Dealers/parts departments, and/or Mercedes Benz authorized service centers that are Independently owned (more commonly known as Indy shops).

In addition, for some repairs/installations, the new parts must be coded using MBs proprietary diagnostic and repair system (more commonly known as STAR). Which again, can only be "officially owned by either dealer service centers and/or indy shops that are authorized (and trained) by MB to do such work.

Year and chassis does make a difference as far as which part numbers fit which vehicle(s), however, this policy applies to ALL MB theft related parts irrespective of chassis and model year.

Jazzmine C 11-27-2019 11:30 PM

Amazing

Originally Posted by IGB (Post 6604336)
It would be nice does not obligate them to do anything...

As for it being a "well known issue"... It isn't! Most people who have reported this issue came here not because it is a well known issue, and not because they frequent this forum, but simply because Google (for one) provides a pretty efficient search engine. Scroll through the several threads about the topic and look at post counts for the majority of posters. And you will see hat these problems get exaggerated on online forums, simply by virtue of the fact that people need a place to vent. So they com here post once or twice, only to never hear from them gain.

But lets look at how well known this issue is...

The 230 complaints for the 2008 C300 aren't all EIS/ESL. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you can see that currently, there are 235 complaints under 2008 C300. In fact, mot of those are "tail light" related complaints.

But here is a better more accurate representation of what these complaints are about...

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...71f0cb90dd.jpg

So at best, you have possibly a third of that 235 total complaints that maybe related to EIS/ESL... So while you might try to over exaggerate the issue, the end result is that your argument loses much of any credibility it might have.

But let me play along for a while... I'll pretend I am clueless and that I am sold on your 235 complaints being all EIS/ESL related.... Lets also add the 2008 C350, and by that I mean ALL complaints for that model... Which amount to 63 complaints.

So... 235 + 63 = 298 2008 C-Class vehicles reporting problems.

According to this website, Mercedes Benz sold 206,381 2008 C-Class Vehicles

And so 298 divided by 206,381 = 0.00144

That is less than 2 tenths of one percent... And you're trying to make it into a major "well known problem"?

It isn't!

Realistically speaking, and after weeding out all the other components, you might end up with 0.0005.

So you see, its not as big a problem as you'd like to make it!

Couldn't have said it better myself!

While I sympathize with such a situation, I don't see how the park got any more unsafe because the car did not start. Conversely, an unsafe area remains to be unsafe whether you are just driving through it or parked and stranded. But in neither case, the equipment failure did not cause the unsafe situation, the surroundings did. And while Mercedes Benz would be obligated to replace a part that may cause injury or death by way of its failing, it isn't going to accept liability because criminals are out to commit crimes!

In spite of the long replies I have offered here, there really isn't much to debate. You have not offered one legitimate point so far. Only that it would be nice if Mercedes Benz were to cover this but "nice" should be their choice. And thus far they have chosen not to. Its a frustrating matter, I understand.... But that, by no means or description, would make it worthy of Mercedes Benz to consider... Like you said, they're a business, in business to make money. Not give it away! And whether its cars, washing machines, printers, bicycles or hair dryers... There is a certain failure rate that must be deemed acceptable. If it gets too high, then yes, you would have a valid argument... But at 0.05%... You're not going to get even close!

And lastly, whether you change your opinion or not, to continue to expect some sort of compensation from Mercedes is to continue to get disappointed. This is not the first issue that some have claimed was a "known problem" and a "widespread problem", and it won't likely be the last. So carry on, I guess....

I am amazed at the long length of time you took to Rip him a new one. I only came in here because I have the exact same problem every one else does (locked steering wheel Column) and trying to find a fix for it and ya maybe rant or vent about it but you sir are the only one who took there time to treat some one who is upset like a ass how much time did that take you! I have to ask do you work for Mercedes? Do you find it offensive that people would bash the company. Look I get both sides of the argument but in reality it’s not wear and tear it’s a faulty part Mercedes keeps knowingly installs in their vehicles. It is a design flaw. And therefore that is why Mercedes should should stop putting thease faulty parts in or redesign it because it is A design flaw that they are aware of

Big Daddy 11-28-2019 12:36 AM

"The 230 complaints for the 2008 C300 aren't all EIS/ESL. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you can see that currently, there are 235 complaints under 2008 C300. In fact, most of those are "tail light" related complaints.

But here is a better more accurate representation of what these complaints are about...

Image: https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...71f0cb90dd.jpg

So at best, you have possibly a third of that 235 total complaints that maybe related to EIS/ESL... So while you might try to over exaggerate the issue, the end result is that your argument loses much of any credibility it might have.

But let me play along for a while... I'll pretend I am clueless and that I am sold on your 235 complaints being all EIS/ESL related.... Lets also add the 2008 C350, and by that I mean ALL complaints for that model... Which amount to 63 complaints.

So... 235 + 63 = 298 2008 C-Class vehicles reporting problems.

According to this website, Mercedes Benz (http://left-lane.com/european-car-sa...-benz-c-class/) sold 206,381 2008 C-Class Vehicles

And so 298 divided by 206,381 = 0.00144

That is less than 2 tenths of one percent... And you're trying to make it into a major "well known problem"?

It isn't!

Realistically speaking, and after weeding out all the other components, you might end up with 0.0005.

So you see, its not as big a problem as you'd like to make it!"

Only one problem with that post is that cottage industries have sprung up whose only business is to repair these modules. Where I live at least two businesses are full time repairing them. Mercedes is one of the worst compliers with the Australian consumer law that states that a car must be fit for purpose. Even after the warrantee has expired. BMW is full time complying with the consumer law. This is why I will never own another Mercedes but I have purchased two BMWs.
Mercedes are slated as having some of the worst reliability of any car manufacture

Adi-Benz 11-28-2019 01:14 AM

If your hands work, you can fix it for $30 like some of us did...

Nothing wrong with learning. But if you're the type to try and rip of a business or go b*t&ing if one thing goes wrong on your car, then don't even bother with a Mercedes. You all ruin the name by saying they're ''expensive to repair" and "unreliable" when you probably struggle to get your oil changes done. IGB is right.

Big Daddy 11-28-2019 01:47 AM

FYI I am covered in oil just swapping my engine out in my 740 LI that will give me 100 extra horses.

gamma300C 11-28-2019 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Adi-Benz (Post 7914580)
If your hands work, you can fix it for $30 like some of us did...

Nothing wrong with learning. But if you're the type to try and rip of a business or go b*t&ing if one thing goes wrong on your car, then don't even bother with a Mercedes. You all ruin the name by saying they're ''expensive to repair" and "unreliable" when you probably struggle to get your oil changes done. IGB is right.

Can you point me towards that inexpensive fix you mentioned...THX

Demvang 11-28-2019 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by gamma300C (Post 7914625)

That's the ESL motor replacement.

W204Motorsports 11-28-2019 08:17 AM

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/XHORSE-ELV-E...gAAOSwxSxdS5y1

Emulators are a must-have on these cars, don't bother fixing something that will eventually fail again..

Adi-Benz 11-28-2019 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by gamma300C (Post 7914625)

Heres an example

We can argue about if this will break again or not, but if it lasts another 90k ill take it. Wasn't that hard of a job to me anyways, and mine got stuck in the locked position.