C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bad steering lock and ignition module $1900!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220 CDI SLK 200
Originally Posted by Dutchboytx
OK everyone......Lets to IGB... A.K.A Mr. I'm right and you're all wrong and I'll go to the end of the world and back to prove you wrong.
BTW I got my ESL replaced FREE of charge outside of warranty because it's a well known issue!
let us start a poll
How Many people have had this problem?
Happened to me twice
Fortunately the second time did not cost me anything except a long walk home
Old 11-18-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c-350
Same issue

I'm having the exact same issue and dealer is telling me the same thing. 1007 dollars quoted as well, parts and labor. Was your issue resolved??? Did you try and contact MB over the issue?

[QUOTE=rio124;5558043]My 2008 with
Old 12-23-2015, 01:14 PM

2009 c300
PLEASE READ ASAP!!

So after my 2015 Corvette was stolen I have been driving my moms 2009 c300. The damn power steering got locked and the dealership estimatearound $1500 to fix it. Right when the towing truck showed up to pick up the car I started messing with it and turned the steering wheel to the left as is locked and started tye car and it started right away.
Here is my email for any direct questions:

Odiseouli@hotmail.com
The car has been sitting for a week and took the battery off and on and nothing happened. If you are having this problem please try it and wiggle the power steering wheel and the key and it should work.
I love Mercedes but its sad how many people have pay thousands of dollars and this might just be a quick glitch to fix problem. If yoi do have this problem and you try my solution and it works, just buy me a case of beer and that would do .
Best luck to all of you!!

Last edited by Ulises Cruz; 12-23-2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: add email address
Old 12-23-2015, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
Damn, these cars must be worth more than a few Maybachs in parts.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:19 PM

09 mercedes C350
Originally Posted by dubzino
Yes I am interested to know this also. Has anyone had this issue with their 2009?
I have 09 mercedes c350
Old 01-03-2016, 12:09 AM

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts
2022 AMG GT 53, 2020 Sl450. Did drive 2018 S450
Happened to dealership on my car when they had it in for tranny replacement. They called asking I bring in the spare key for programming on the replacement EIS. 30k miles later happened again - I wiggled the steering wheel and it started right up. Hasn't happened again in a further 1k miles.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:29 PM

09 mercedes C350
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
let us start a poll
Happened to me twice
Please tell me how you got this fixed for free my car is at the shop with same issue
Old 01-03-2016, 07:30 PM

09 mercedes C350
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
let us start a poll
Happened to me twice
How did you get this fixed for free
Old 01-03-2016, 07:53 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
Should we get one?

So there is this 2009 c300 luxury 4matic in beige metalic that is in perfect condition on the lot as a cpo. We love it but are hesitant to buy it knowing the esl problem. Should we have the replace it be for we buy it? I was informed that the airbag and tail lamp recalls have been taken care of.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:04 AM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
OK everyone......Lets to IGB... A.K.A Mr. I'm right and you're all wrong and I'll go to the end of the world and back to prove you wrong.
If this is the only response you can offer, then, I guess I am right!!!

BTW I got my ESL replaced FREE of charge outside of warranty because it's a well known issue!
Sure you did... And it appears this "DutchboyTX" person who posted the following on another forum, is an impostor:

Link: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204...l#post13109641

Originally Posted by DutchboyTX
Well I just purchased a 2011 C300 82,000, 3 weeks ago, and yesterday after a trip to the park no go on starting up, had to have it towed to the dealership. Another bad EIS, I was quoted today for Labor: $640.92 Parts: $675.13 Misc:$189.95 Total: $1561.70. They told me they would subtract the Blue Key which brings it down to $1100 even. I haven't even made the first payment on this car yet, this repair bill will literally be the first payment I make on my "New car". :crying Oh and the diagnoses was: Steering Lock Inop, I just noticed that on the quote the only thing being replaced is the Control unit EIS, Screw w Hexagon Socket and a Blue Key
I seriously do not understand what you gain by misleading people. You already know how frustrating this experience is without having someone raise your hopes leading you to expect some sort of relief when in reality none will be coming your way.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:46 PM

2013 C300 4MATIC Sport
I have a 2013 W204 (C300). Car had 12k mi on it when my wife first ran into the issue. Couldn't get the car to start despite all the electronics powered up. Vehicle towed to dealer and they were able to start on first try. Could not believe the coincidence. Got the car back with no problems found.

Happened again just yesterday with 18k mi - no crank on both master key. I get a "remove key from ignition" message in my dash. I was preparing the car for tow and had to manually override and to put the car from park to neutral. After putting into neutral, car still wouldn't crank. It was until I return the car back to park, remove the key and tried again did the car fire up.

That explained why the dealer was able to start the car the first time the car went in. The tow driver had to put the car into neutral using the same override step.

Dealer s now looking into it under warranty...will see what the diagnostic comes out to be
Old 03-09-2016, 05:24 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Duplicate post...

Last edited by IGB; 03-09-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:25 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Welcome to MBWorld, Jonemi84

Originally Posted by Jonemi84
I have a 2013 W204 (C300).
Yours might be the first 2013 model that I have heard of this happening to.

After putting into neutral, car still wouldn't crank. It was until I return the car back to park, remove the key and tried again did the car fire up.

That explained why the dealer was able to start the car the first time the car went in. The tow driver had to put the car into neutral using the same override step.
If setting the transmission to Neutral by way of the override switch is a way to get the car to start after EIS/ESL failure, then the majority of cars that have had this issue come up, and by virtue of all of them needing to get towed in to the dealer and therefore, most have had the override procedure done on them, then the result would be that the respective dealer where each was towed, would have had no issue starting most of those cars when they were delivered to them. But I don't think that has been the case...

Both EIS & ESL do in fact generate and store fault codes if/when they fail. As such, I would suggest that upon speaking to your service adviser, that you request that he provide you with a print out of the diagnostic trouble codes, if any, that they may have been able to retrieve.

It would be great if you do keep us updated as to what they come up with in your case!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:32 PM

2013 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by IGB

If setting the transmission to Neutral by way of the override switch is a way to get the car to start after EIS/ESL failure, then the majority of cars that have had this issue come up, and by virtue of all of them needing to get towed in to the dealer and therefore, most have had the override procedure done on them, then the result would be that the respective dealer where each was towed, would have had no issue starting most of those cars when they were delivered to them. But I don't think that has been the case...

Both EIS & ESL do in fact generate and store fault codes if/when they fail. As such, I would suggest that upon speaking to your service adviser, that you request that he provide you with a print out of the diagnostic trouble codes, if any, that they may have been able to retrieve.

It would be great if you do keep us updated as to what they come up with in your case!
Service Advisor just called me and told me they checked the battery, performed DAS authorization on the keys and steering lock, no issues. They couldn't verify the complaint...AGAIN...both times the vehicle in shop-there were no codes thrown.

They checked on Mercedes PTSS cases with similar complaints and found that updated software would correct the issue. They updated software to front SAM, central gateway. Will see if this address the issues or not...
Old 03-10-2016, 06:21 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Service Advisor just called me and told me they checked the battery, performed DAS authorization on the keys and steering lock, no issues. They couldn't verify the complaint...AGAIN...both times the vehicle in shop-there were no codes thrown.

They checked on Mercedes PTSS cases with similar complaints and found that updated software would correct the issue. They updated software to front SAM, central gateway. Will see if this address the issues or not...
Thanks for the update and the additional information.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:36 PM

2013 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by IGB
Thanks for the update and the additional information.
Got the car back from dealer and within the first 24 hours...the car wouldn't start up again. When I put the key in, all electronics power on, no CEL/codes. When I insert key into slot, I get a message to "remove key from ignition". To get the car fired up I had to do the following steps:

1) Remove KEYLESS-GO button - manually insert key
2) Use shiftlock override to put car in Neutral
3) Return shifter back to Park
4) Remove key from ignition
5) Re-insert key into ignition - car restarts

At this point I'm not sure what to do with the dealer. Clearly they are not diagnosing the car properly. Would like to get some suggestion from the forum as to what to do? vehicle is still under factory warranty...

A) Take it back to dealer to document another RO...?
B) Meet with Mercedes factory field rep/tech?
C) Call Mercedes Customer Service?
D) Do nothing...wait for the car to not start up and have the dealer send a tech out when it happens again?
E) A Combination of A/B/C/D?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2016, 05:31 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
A few seemingly silly questions but I'll still ask them...

1) Have you tried more than one key (i.e., your spare key)? Even with Keyless Go the key itself might present an issue.

2) Have you looked at your Fuse chart and checked those fuses that are in any way related to the starting cycle out? (If you do venture this way, check fuses 6, 7, 19, 27). I can tell you thie 1sttime I experienced a "no crank/no start", I removed, checked and re-inserted every fuse on that car... Whether it was related or not, went back and the car started right away. I realize that this is in no way a solution, but fuses as well as relays (as you will see blow) play a huge roll.

3) When you say all electronics work, to me (and as I understand the manner with which EIS & ESL work), if this was either of those issues, and since the key has not been identified properly (by virtue of the "remove key" console message), no electronics would work.

The fact that some electronics work, and I assume you may not have gone as far as checking whether wipers work or not (see scenario # 1 in link below), try that the next time it happens. Alternatively, you could check to ee if the power outlet is operating properly and if not, you might look into scenario #2. Either way, and because there are several relays in the car, checking each one might be an avenue to explore. And while that might be cumbersome for you to do, it might want to mention THIS TSB (which contains a description of both scenarios mentioned just above) to the dealer:

Clearly they are not diagnosing the car properly.
Here is how I see that... As far as the dealer is concerned, it serves them better to find something wrong and repair it -even when the car is still under warranty- than to hold it for the entire day only to return it to you with a "could not duplicate problem" response. They get paid either by you (for an out of warranty vehicle) or by Mercedes Benz (for one that is under warranty). The flip side on that idea is that another technician/service adviser, may have seen a similar situation and had been able to come up with some sort of resolution that the current service adviser/technician have not seen. So call another dealer and see if they will take it in and try and diagnose the problem.

A) Take it back to dealer to document another RO...?
Well, if the car is starting fine at the moment, I see no benefit in taking it in simply because an RO with a "non issue" serves no one's interest. The way I see it, if/when it happens again, that is when I would leave it as is, call for a tow and have the dealer look into it in its "no crank/no start" condition.

B) Meet with Mercedes factory field rep/tech?
I am not sure of the procedure that would afford you that opportunity. I assume you'd have to have the dealer contact MB-USA and request assistance from them. So that option might take some wrangling to accomplish... (But I could be wrong).

Hope this helps...

Edited to add: the 4 fuses I mentioned above are found in the engine compartment, just in front of the driver side dash. You should also check fuse #74 (which is in the trunk area) as it appears to be related to Keyless Go and the starting cycle.

Better yet, here is the list/chart of all 3 fuse-boxes.

Last edited by IGB; 03-13-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Had it happen to my 08 c350 at 106,000 miles.

Mercedes charged around 1500 USD to fix the issue. The first time the ignition lock locked, I was stranded. I let it sit for about 45 minutes, and came back and tried it again. I wiggled the steering wheel and played with the key for about 10 minutes and it finally unlocked. I was able to start the car and drive it home.

The next day it started fine, so I drove it to my Indy -- who basically checked out everything else before he concluded that it was the ESL. It started a few times at the mechanics, but when I backed out of the bay, I started and turned off the car until it happened because I wanted him to see it happen. It did happen, and I needed to get it towed to Mercedes -- because for security reasons they are the only people who can fix ignition or steering lock parts.

The thing that bothered me was that when I got it to the dealership, no one could get it to start once it got off the flat bed, so we pushed it in neutral into a spot. When a service tech finally got around to look at it, he was able to start it in literally 2 seconds. This pissed me off because clearly they know a trick on how to fix it temporarily! He swore up and down that he was just lucky, but it was obvious that they have a trick that they can't (or don't want to) share.

Im not saying that you don't need to replace the part, because you do. There are people on here that say there are ways to wiggle it to make it work, but the fact of the matter is that to will eventually fail, and you will be stranded. My beef is that Mercedes should get their techs to tell you how to trick the system when it happens, so that people aren't stranded. IF they know that the part needs to be replaced, and they are the only ones to do it, then why can't you call them and have them tell you about this temporary fix that will allow you to drive it to the shop!?

Imagine you are on a road trip, run in for a coffee, and then get stuck in the damn parking lot like so many people on this forum -- myself included -- claim happened. This isn't right. It's a faulty part that can strike at any point, without warning. The least they could do it is allow us to get it to the shop without needing to wait for, and pay, and expensive tow truck.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:39 PM

2009 c180k
Unhappy w204 esl issues

Originally Posted by dubzino
Yes I am interested to know this also. Has anyone had this issue with their 2009?
Hi , I have the 2009 c180k with the same issue. Seems as if the problem parts continued into the later models.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:16 PM

2001 R129 SL500, '08-'20 W204 C350
Man, I am not looking forward to hearing from the service advisor. Same thing happened to me, lights come on but not speedo or tach, no steering lock click, turn key nothing happens.

Funny thing is, this happened about 10 days after I had the airbag module recall done.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:30 PM

2009 c180k
ESL PROBLEMS

HI

You know what , I have decided to live with the problem for now as the problem is intermittent and at the moment , it seems to have rectified itself.the steering lock is a little lazy sometimes but for the past week, its been working.
Some people may not be as lucky as me as they have no choice but to change it out for a huge sum of cash. I decided that if it works for now , dont fix whats not broken. I have been to MBSA , and was quoted to change the ESL and EIS . I know for a fact that there is nothing wrong with the EIS. Stuff these money thieves. I have found out that there are emulators that bypass the ESL permanently which is the route i will take. So what if I dont have a steering lock , makes no difference to me.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by ShalenR
HI

You know what , I have decided to live with the problem for now as the problem is intermittent and at the moment , it seems to have rectified itself.the steering lock is a little lazy sometimes but for the past week, its been working.
Some people may not be as lucky as me as they have no choice but to change it out for a huge sum of cash. I decided that if it works for now , dont fix whats not broken. I have been to MBSA , and was quoted to change the ESL and EIS . I know for a fact that there is nothing wrong with the EIS. Stuff these money thieves. I have found out that there are emulators that bypass the ESL permanently which is the route i will take. So what if I dont have a steering lock , makes no difference to me.
It's not about being lucky, it's just a matter of time, good luck, but within the next 6 months you will be SOL.... #facts
Old 06-03-2016, 10:03 AM

C300
San Antonio MB Dealer business practices

My GF purchased a really nice 2009 MB C300 last year with appx 60k miles on it. Last month she came out of work and the car didn't start, so she called me and took all necessary items to see what the problem was. After all checks I narrowed it down to the steering lock mech. I do have over 35 years in the Porsche and other European car industry and repairs. I advised her to call MB Roadside service and have it taken to the Dealer in San Antonio and that was a big mistake. They did do the repairs for over $1400.00 which something like this should be addressed by Mercedes Benz.
Then they gave her an estimate for over $7000.00 in additional repairs she needed. This doesn't say very much for Mercedes Benz on a car that has 60k miles on it. I don't know how many people they bend over like this and the service manager doesn't have the curtesy to call me back on this issue. She had been having an issue with the low beam not working and see said the service advisor just blew her off and told her just to use the switch to turn them on. You would think since they charged her $130.00 to hook it up their system they would have least noticed a problem with the headlight or at least on at test drive. Then it was left out during the hail storm and they said they had not responsibility for it, (note my sister in law had her car at the BMW dealer and they took care of her hail damage).
I honestly feel this dealership is so money hungry they don't care about customer service.
The following users liked this post:
IGB (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by jdstubb
My GF purchased a really nice 2009 MB C300 last year with appx 60k miles on it. Last month she came out of work and the car didn't start, so she called me and took all necessary items to see what the problem was. After all checks I narrowed it down to the steering lock mech. I do have over 35 years in the Porsche and other European car industry and repairs. I advised her to call MB Roadside service and have it taken to the Dealer in San Antonio and that was a big mistake. They did do the repairs for over $1400.00 which something like this should be addressed by Mercedes Benz.
Then they gave her an estimate for over $7000.00 in additional repairs she needed. This doesn't say very much for Mercedes Benz on a car that has 60k miles on it. I don't know how many people they bend over like this and the service manager doesn't have the curtesy to call me back on this issue. She had been having an issue with the low beam not working and see said the service advisor just blew her off and told her just to use the switch to turn them on. You would think since they charged her $130.00 to hook it up their system they would have least noticed a problem with the headlight or at least on at test drive. Then it was left out during the hail storm and they said they had not responsibility for it, (note my sister in law had her car at the BMW dealer and they took care of her hail damage).
I honestly feel this dealership is so money hungry they don't care about customer service.
This sounds annoying...

Did she buy the car CPO or non-CPO? Was it from a Benz dealer? Is it under any extended warranty from Benz?

Also, what dealer is it? Might be good to get feedback on your specific dealer if anyone has dealt with them. You can also reach out to MBUSA and see if you can get some movement that way.

That being said, you have to do your due diligence on any 7 year old car with 60K miles on it when purchasing it. Each car has a unique life that will vary on the type of driving done in it and the maintenance record. A one owner car with all on-time care at a Benz dealer will likely be in better shape than a former Rental car which was run hard and only occasionally maintained as extreme examples.

You have to be double or triple vigilant if the car is out of warranty from Benz. As repair costs can be high when they are on your dime and not Benz.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by LogicalApex
This sounds annoying...

Did she buy the car CPO or non-CPO? Was it from a Benz dealer? Is it under any extended warranty from Benz?

Also, what dealer is it? Might be good to get feedback on your specific dealer if anyone has dealt with them. You can also reach out to MBUSA and see if you can get some movement that way.

That being said, you have to do your due diligence on any 7 year old car with 60K miles on it when purchasing it. Each car has a unique life that will vary on the type of driving done in it and the maintenance record. A one owner car with all on-time care at a Benz dealer will likely be in better shape than a former Rental car which was run hard and only occasionally maintained as extreme examples.

You have to be double or triple vigilant if the car is out of warranty from Benz. As repair costs can be high when they are on your dime and not Benz.
$7,000 in aditional repairs? That sounds like classic dealership nonsense at its finest.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad steering lock and ignition module $1900!!!