C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bad steering lock and ignition module $1900!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Another 2009 model !!

Maybe a bad batch or another supplier.?.

There seems a lot of these faults in 2008 models in the US. I wonder whether this translates to our 2009 in Aust.

Would be interesting to know.!!

Last edited by Carsy; 02-24-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220CDI 2009
Originally Posted by aussie e55
about 6 months ago i had my eis replaced under MB used car warranty cost just over $2000 i was told who is your local MB dealer.

Carmichael ford they have been very good I have no complaints at all, with all they have done for me.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:17 AM

C220CDI 2009
Well there goes my idea of an upgrade to the 2011 C200CDI I was offered $18.000 for mine (2009 C220CDI)
Old 02-24-2014, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
About time for third party property damage insurance !!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM

C220CDI 2009
A little disappointed at first, however, they came back today with another offer of $20.000.

So it made my decision very easy, and my wife very happy, she didn't want to buy any more trouble.

I wonder if the airbags work
Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 PM

C300
2008 C300

Mercedes should be ashame. This is a very common problem with this make and model ignition and they know it. For them to admit it would be exposing them to a large cost impact. Last Mercedes I will own.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:22 AM

C220CDI 2009
Originally Posted by bmontoto
Mercedes should be ashame. This is a very common problem with this make and model ignition and they know it. For them to admit it would be exposing them to a large cost impact. Last Mercedes I will own.
I am using the spare key and haven't had a problem as yet, touch wood.

So maybe it's the key and not the ignition switch as first thought, if however, it turns out to be the ignition switch further down the line, i'll certainly be making some noise.

Phil
Old 03-09-2014, 01:01 PM

2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
FYI there are other threads in the 204 forum dealing with the same issue under ""2008 C300 won't start", "Bad steering lock and ignition module $1900!!!", "2011 C300 Towed to Dealer: Ignition Switch", "2008 C350 Starting Problem (HELP)" and others. In fact, there are quite a few if you search "EIS".

For your sake, I hope it's the key.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:46 AM

C200 Kompressor
Defective EIS & steering lock on W204 2008 C200.

Yes. I had a defective EIS and steering lock replaced on my C 200 done 74,000 km. Cost nearly A$3500.
My question is simply this: If the steering lock can be broken and steer the wheels without the key inserted ,why bother to have it ? Obviously it is a know fault by now.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:42 AM

C220CDI 2009
Touch wood, I,ve had no more problems with the ignition switch, I'm now back using the my old key that I had the trouble with and it's now working fine.

I had a flat battery yesterday I had to fit a new one, hopefully it may have been the battery all along.

When RACQ tested it, the voltage was way down which he said, could have caused the problem one can only live in hope
Old 06-17-2014, 05:18 PM

2008 c300
Electronic Steering Lock - 2008 C300

Took my C300 into a body shop to replace a dented front driver side door and some repair on the front fender. Went to pick up car and it would not start. They towed it to Mercedes dealer who said it was the electronic steering lock. Cost $1300 plus labor. Is there anything a body shop could have done to cause this issue? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Paul
Old 06-17-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pthuman
Took my C300 into a body shop to replace a dented front driver side door and some repair on the front fender. Went to pick up car and it would not start. They towed it to Mercedes dealer who said it was the electronic steering lock. Cost $1300 plus labor. Is there anything a body shop could have done to cause this issue? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Paul
I doubt it. More likely a premature failure as documented in other instances in this thread. How many miles on the car? You might have better luck complaining of the early failure to the dealer or MBUSA.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:48 PM

2008 c300
115k miles. Too many miles for MBUSA complaint?
Old 06-17-2014, 05:56 PM

2008 c300
Assume the body shop had trouble turning key in ignition and tried moving steering wheel enough for key to loosen and start car. Could this have caused the ESL to fail?
Old 06-18-2014, 02:47 AM

C200 Kompressor
Angry

Originally Posted by Pthuman

Paul
Unfortunately it is quite common for the EIS to fail. I have spoken to a motoring engineer friend who had a few cases whereby he advised his clients to tow the car to dealer for replacement of faulty EIS.

In my case the roadside assist mechanic had to prepare the car for towing as the switch failed. He also pointed out to me the steering lock was defective. Not sure he had damaged it or not but had to replace both anyway. What is the point of have it if it can be broken so easily ?

Pointless to complaint to MB as they just brush you off to say the warranty period is over and they don't give a damn, even though there are so many reports that the premature failure of EIS is quite common.
I was very keen to buy the new W205 C class this year when released but
I think I will change to Lexus as they treat you much better.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 AM

2009 C300
ESL 2009 C300

Saturday went into the mall for 30 minutes to come back out and my car would not start...of course the first thing you think is that its the battery. The tow guy came and said his jumper cables can jump anything...it didnt jump my car...my lights and everything stilled worked fine.
When it was time to put my car on the flatbed it wouldnt come out of park so the guy had to put the skates on it...dropped it off at the nearest Mercedes dealership.
Sunday I looked up my problem on google to see if it was a common issue and it is!!
So first thing Monday I went up there because I didnt want to pay for a dignostic test since i was pretty sure It was one of two things (ESL or EIS). I gotta call back from MB later Monday evening and I was right It was the ESL. They quoted me $1130 plus tax...I have a extended warranty that I purchased through my bank and I am praying that its covered. I also called MBUSA and filed my problem and they said they would help in some way...we shall see!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:39 AM

2009 C300
oh yeah my car only has 55000 miles...
Old 07-13-2014, 12:47 PM

Mercedes c300
I have never been so angry in my entire life.... -after dealing with an idiot name Joe at Mercedes Benz USA, I have been informed that I'm not a valuable customer because I did not purchase my car from the Benz dealership. (What Kind of Crap is This???) -Long Story Short....Here is my initial email submitted to Benz due to faulty parts on their C300 Models...

Initial email....
My 2009 C300 was just towed today to the Benz Dealer for the "Technical Svs Bulletin" known as LI80-57-P051521. (The known and documented internal issue with the Electronic Steering Lock causing Crank Failure that has been identified by the NHTSA.) I would like to know why Benz is not assisting with this matter; as there is now a possible class action law suit being filed due to the amounts being charged to correct this known issue. -I find it hard to believe that Benz will not assist it's valued customers with this type of known/ reoccurring issue. The car is to be given to my daughter for a graduation gift and my hopes was to treat myself to another Benz; however I'm extremely terrified to purchase another in light of this type of substandard customer service. The "Benz of Sugarland" (in Sugarland, TX) is charging $1100.00 to have this problem corrected. I'm writing and URGING your company to PLEASE...-at least meet me half way with this bill due to the fact that this is a known and reoccurring issue with your c300s; (as you have with other customers with this problem) and the fact the Benz is supposed to be one of the utmost outstanding, timeless vehicles one could purchase. I hope that I do not have to join the hundreds of your dissatisfied customers in stating that Benz realizes that there are serious problems with their cars, but refuse to take responsibility for them. It seems very evident that though Benz has documentation of "CONSISTENT" faulty parts on their vehicles, they're refusing to recall the cars for issues in an attempt to generate constant business for the Benz Dealerships. (For instance, when I walked into the Dealership, my Servicer was able to quote me a price on the repair of my car within seconds as he stated that he just completed the same repair on a car like mine the day before....UUmm...what a coincidence!) Please contact me and/or my service writer regarding this matter.

Well; JOE TZORTZINIS at MBUSA (New Jersey Office) stated that Benz is refusing to accommodate my request because I did not purchase my Benz from a benz dealership and that he has searched the demographics of where my car was purchased (A PREDOMINATELY AFRICAN AMERICAN AREA) and he can do nothing to help me. When I asked for his superior's information Joe stated that he did not have a manager or superior; and that he is the highest form of management within his New Jersey office. I also asked him would he please follow up with an email to my address putting his details in writing as to why Benz is refusing to take responsibility for their faulty car parts. He stated that he could and would not. He also refused me his last name; as he must have been ignorant enough to believe that I couldn't find it in this day and age of information. Joe was extremely rude, prejudiced and flat out ignorant!

So MB World....-What if a bought a "Sony TV from Wal-Mart" and the TV malfunctions because of a known technical issue....Do you think that Sony will tell me they won't fix my TV because I bought the TV from Walmart and not Sony??? This is soooo STUPID!

ALL WHO HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO, PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE A MERCEDES BENZ IF INDEED YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO THROUGH THE SAME EMBARRASSMENT!! I AM ASHAMED TO SAY THAT I OWN ONE AND AM HAVING TO DEAL WITH SUCH NON-SENSE!! I SHOULD HAVE FOLLOWED MY BEST FRIEND TO THE BEAMER DEALERSHIP SOME YEARS AGO AND I WOULD NOT HAVE HAD TO DEAL WITH THIS CRAP.

In the mean time I've contacted the Texas Attorney General's office who has referred me to the Texas Deceptive Trade Act departments. I have contacted my lawyers and Benz and not heard the last from me!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Whoa buddy. That Mercedes will not offer assistance to out-of-warranty cars purchased and serviced at places other than the dealer is nothing new (or surprising).

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with race. Also your analogy about Sony TVs and Wal-Mart is flawed.

It sucks to have the problem. But if you think BMWs don't have expensive issues, you're wrong.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Originally Posted by Event Planner
I have never been so angry in my entire life.... In the mean time I've contacted the Texas Attorney General's office who has referred me to the Texas Deceptive Trade Act departments. I have contacted my lawyers and Benz and not heard the last from me!
I feel your pain. Sorry that's happening to you. I do wonder what's going on with MBUSA. It seems like they haven't yet returned completely from the abyss of the early 2000s.

All the recalls out there for other automakers...and MB gets away with doors that don't open from the inside (god forbid you're in an accident and need to exit the car quickly) and ignition systems that prevent perfectly running engines from actually starting.

They FINALLY got around to recalling the taillights that catch fire...hopefully the ignition, door handles, and transfer cases are recalled soon. Would help them live up to their "the best or nothing" ad copy.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:15 PM

Nissan 350Z, Mercedes C Series, Mazda6 Wagon
C200 K same issue - resolved (temporarily?) by aggressively shaking steering wheel

Big thanks to someone posting on this forum that a mechanic had got their car to start by aggressively shaking the steering wheel while inserting the key.

Our C200 (also a 2008) is deep down underground in our apartment carpark in Brazil (subsolo 3) - so have to circle through a *very* tight parking building for 3 levels (and I mean tight - only just squeeze between the pillars even for just the car), so would be near impossible to tow. Having been there two days and testing all the fuses, etc, etc - very pleased to get it started after a bit of effort. I know the parts are more expensive here than USA due to the between 35% and 110% import taxes.

It has done this for me one time before, but worked when removing and inserting the key.

I really hope this is not the sign of things to come, and I hope that it will not get worse (it could be why the previous owner moved on from the car). Brazil is not a secure place to be wanting to be left on the side of the road with a non-starting car. There are more murders in my adopted city (Goiania) here each month than my whole home country (New Zealand) has in a year!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:37 PM

C300 2008
Bad steering lock/EIS

Well fellow MB consumers /posters. I came about this site (newbie) because I'm an avid researcher and I wanted to know what was wrong with my car (C300/2008) before they ( Mercedes Benz dealership ) told me. And it helps to see you are not alone but it's disheartening to see that so many people who have had this expensive problem and nothing has been done. I refuse to believe that "wear/tear" is a correlate for this issue. Nevertheless, I experienced some of the same scenarios described in the posts that I read. And we are not going to even talk about the difficulty in having it towed( tow hook was not in car..have one now.....so valuable this little piece of equipment)

I have placed a call to MBUSA and have been assigned a case manager to look into the issue. However, I'm a big girl and I know (as I was informed) that these issues are on a case to case basis and that there is no guarantee that financial assistance will be provided. Needless to say it just sucks that they either haven't paid attention to the problem or they just don't care. Hopefully, the more these instances are reported to MBUSA (even if they don't assist) maybe this will ignite some fire and/ or action down the line.

P.S. I need this money to pay other bills
Old 08-23-2014, 02:15 PM

Mosley75, for the record, how many miles are on your C300? Is it the ESL?

How convenient of MB to settle these cases on a case by case basis. Much cheaper than a recall. Meanwhile buyers of 2008 2009 C300s might as well subtract $2000 from the asking price.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:28 AM

2009 c300 sport
My c300 has the same symptoms this morning and it thought it was a battery issue, so after changing the battery and getting the same result i know i'm in for the long hole. Just hearing all this outrageous quotes of 1100 to 19000 is making lose sleep. I have a key programmer guy coming tomorrow to see if maybe he can rig something so i can get rid of this damn car! Every day it goes i regret not having purchased the extended warranty till at least 100k miles. Oh well, i guess we pay for luxury and not for reliability bummer! Im assuming the only way an issue like this can escalate to the top is if someone dies because they couldn't turn on their car, like getting stranded in a snow storm with no heat. Shame on you MB...
Old 09-25-2014, 06:19 AM

C220CDI 2009
Originally Posted by cxesar
My c300 has the same symptoms this morning and it thought it was a battery issue, so after changing the battery and getting the same result i know i'm in for the long hole. Just hearing all this outrageous quotes of 1100 to 19000 is making lose sleep. I have a key programmer guy coming tomorrow to see if maybe he can rig something so i can get rid of this damn car! Every day it goes i regret not having purchased the extended warranty till at least 100k miles. Oh well, i guess we pay for luxury and not for reliability bummer! Im assuming the only way an issue like this can escalate to the top is if someone dies because they couldn't turn on their car, like getting stranded in a snow storm with no heat. Shame on you MB...
Have you tried using your other key, mind did this about 5 months ago, I used my other key and have had no more problems since. I'm now back using the key that was giving me the trouble to see if it happens again, so far all ok.

You can rest assured if it happens again, I'll be back to MB for a fix, their sales pitch is Safety /luxury and reliability so they should stand by their product, if they do, I don't have a problem,, however, if they don't I'm like a savage dog.

I have no complaints with the local dealer and MB they have really looked after me so I'll be sticking with the benz.

Last edited by silkynitro; 09-25-2014 at 06:21 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad steering lock and ignition module $1900!!!