MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Smart car with a Mercedes Badge?? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/418220-smart-car-mercedes-badge.html)

jwschmid 10-08-2011 09:56 AM

Smart car with a Mercedes Badge??

1 Attachment(s)
So I looked out my window this morning and below I see what looks like a Smart car, but with a MB star on the front. I know Daimler owns Smart, but I assume this is the work of the owner? It's not really the sort of vehicle you normally associate with the MB star :) Have any of you seen this on a Smart car before?

wnunez89 10-08-2011 01:08 PM

I saw alot with the star on when I was in Germany.

MDMercedesGuy 10-08-2011 01:26 PM

Like you said, smart is a Daimler product - a lot of the parts are stamped with the Mercedes star and such (like not outright, but embossed by the part number if you know what I mean).

You can tell the MB heritage in it - I would associate it with MB, but more as being a product of MB and not an MB. It's built like a small tank and has a lot of the same design elements in how it is put together.

A lot of people seem to be deluded and think it is a Mercedes, and try to present it as such by sticking emblems all over it. It causes endless arguments on one of the smart forums I am on. I've read every argument from "just having fun" to "it IS a Mercedes...". :crazy:

I presume you are in Canada since that is a model 450 first gen smart?

jwschmid 10-08-2011 05:47 PM

Actually, I'm in Nebraska. I agree with you that there is MB heritage in it and I also greatly respect the vehicle. I've seen plenty of them around town and even browsed some for fun at the Smart dealership, but I've never seen one with the emblem. It surely doesn't bother me, I just thought it was interesting to see. I know that MB and Smart have been working more and more closely together in recent years, I just didn't think they would share an emblem though, but I suppose once you buy the car you can do as you like :)

MDMercedesGuy 10-08-2011 06:09 PM

That one is a real rarity to see in Nebraska. Those models were never imported into the US by MB - after a closer look at the pic and headlights - that one is a G&K conversion and cost whoever bought it about $30K.

AkaSigFreak 10-08-2011 06:09 PM

I thought the Smart car was the A-CLass in Europe? Maybe I'm wrong but who else does Lorinser do parts for?
http://ultaudio.com/images/uploads/8..._smart1_10.jpg
http://ultaudio.com/images/uploads/5..._smart1_02.jpg

hannes 10-08-2011 06:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
No, the A-Class has little to do with the Smart, it competes with the Golf/A3/Civic (the unique sandwich form-factor notwithstanding).

myinternetsucks 10-08-2011 07:34 PM

The Merc affiliation is because of the engine.
http://image.eurotuner.com/f/1851293...ine_window.jpg

RLE 10-08-2011 08:10 PM

A-CLASS

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak (Post 4865913)
I thought the Smart car was the A-CLass in Europe?

Ah, yes. The A-Class. Another MB screwup.

Who can forget the Moose Test?

ucfbeta92 10-08-2011 08:34 PM

Here in Orlando, I see more Smart cars with the MB star badge (especially on the rear) than I see with Smart badges.

As for the A-Class, the existing ones look weird, but the upcoming redesign looks promising. The B-Class is kinda funny looking too, like a midget R-Class.

newyorktoLA 10-08-2011 09:44 PM

I've seen one with a Benz badge as well...
The new B class looks great! I love the LED's in the headlamps :)

bringtherain 10-08-2011 11:15 PM

this is NOTHING compared to what i saw. A hybrid MB/Aston/Bentley bad on a year 98 style black integra. Now that was something. Merc star with Bentley B in the center and aston wings...

RLE 10-09-2011 12:31 AM

Smarts in crashes

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy (Post 4865650)
Like you said, smart is a Daimler product - a lot of the parts are stamped with the Mercedes star and such (like not outright, but embossed by the part number if you know what I mean).

You can tell the MB heritage in it - I would associate it with MB, but more as being a product of MB and not an MB. It's built like a small tank and has a lot of the same design elements in how it is put together.

A lot of people seem to be deluded and think it is a Mercedes, and try to present it as such by sticking emblems all over it. It causes endless arguments on one of the smart forums I am on. I've read every argument from "just having fun" to "it IS a Mercedes...". :crazy:

I presume you are in Canada since that is a model 450 first gen smart?

Smarts scare me and here's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he6TL15pJtw

dcjwlee 10-09-2011 01:30 AM

Lmao, great find RLE.

My opinion is let them do what they will with their badges. It's no different from the guys who put 63 badges on theire non-amg vehicles.

They are all trying to make up for one thing or another....

ucfbeta92 10-09-2011 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by bringtherain (Post 4866192)
this is NOTHING compared to what i saw. A hybrid MB/Aston/Bentley bad on a year 98 style black integra. Now that was something. Merc star with Bentley B in the center and aston wings...

I guess his philosophy is, if you're going to be a poser, go all out.. do it in style. :rice:

MDMercedesGuy 10-09-2011 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by myinternetsucks (Post 4865979)
The Merc affiliation is because of the engine.

Actually, not anymore.

Sadly, the 600, 700, and 800CC Mercedes engines in them weren't very good - they would make it to 75-80K miles and need a rebuild. The '08+ models that we have in the US have a Mercedes/Mitsubishi conglomerate 3 cylinder. So far, they are proving bulletproof, but I think I'd rather have a MB engine in my trunk :)

MDMercedesGuy 10-09-2011 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 4866261)
Smarts scare me and here's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he6TL15pJtw

Eh, it doesn't bother me as much. I've been hit twice in mine and drove away uninjured (one of them destroyed a Taurus that hit me). In the real world, they have a very low death rate - combined with low bodywork repair costs, and it costs nothing to insure.

JaCe88 10-09-2011 03:25 AM

The MB strategy on Smart/A/B class cars is a bit ambiguous in various markets. I mean, Australia had a lot of A's but then they discontinued it and left B as the smallest Benz above the Smart.

imbane 10-09-2011 04:34 PM

I traded in my Smart car for the C300, the Smart drove terrible, the transmission was totally a failed product.

MDMercedesGuy 10-10-2011 12:20 AM

I knew going in that the transmission has its quirks. I waited 351 days from the time I put my deposit down until the day of delivery - so I did a lot of research.

I've had 4 different software versions on my car - the latest, it is actually pretty good. I'd almost say I prefer how it shifts to most automatics. There's a lot going on inside the transmission and it helps to understand how it works - it explains a lot about it being half-witted at times.

That said, while I love the little guy - it will be traded in on my C250 when I decide to quit being such a wuss and go buy it.

C300Kid 10-10-2011 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by imbane (Post 4866952)
I traded in my Smart car for the C300, the Smart drove terrible, the transmission was totally a failed product.

That's how I felt when I drove one.

C300Kid 10-10-2011 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy (Post 4867389)
That said, while I love the little guy - it will be traded in on my C250 when I decide to quit being such a wuss and go buy it.

Just do it! Sell both of your cars and order the 204 already..you'll be happier with it.

lx Raven xl 10-10-2011 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak (Post 4865913)
I thought the Smart car was the A-CLass in Europe? Maybe I'm wrong but who else does Lorinser do parts for?

LOL. Google my friend. A is not smart in Europe or Vice versa.

imbane 10-10-2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy (Post 4867389)
I knew going in that the transmission has its quirks. I waited 351 days from the time I put my deposit down until the day of delivery - so I did a lot of research.

I've had 4 different software versions on my car - the latest, it is actually pretty good. I'd almost say I prefer how it shifts to most automatics. There's a lot going on inside the transmission and it helps to understand how it works - it explains a lot about it being half-witted at times.

I wanted to love the Smart, but after 6 months I gave up. Other than easy to park I coulnd't find anything I liked. It's so sad.

FordGalaxie 11-09-2014 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by jwschmid (Post 4865889)
Actually, I'm in Nebraska.

Nothing more needs to be said.