MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Brake Pads and Rotors (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/426609-brake-pads-rotors.html)

ICON 1 12-11-2011 11:46 AM

Brake Pads and Rotors

I have just been advised by my dealer that my brake pads are due for a change soon and would also need to change the rotors. In the history of owning various cars I have never heard of the rotors needing to be changed with every change of brake pads. Can anyone confirm is this is necessary? Dealer also mentioned a break fluid flush every 2 years. Is this necessary as well?

Sportstick 12-11-2011 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ICON 1 (Post 4956468)
I have just been advised by my dealer that my brake pads are due for a change soon and would also need to change the rotors. In the history of owning various cars I have never heard of the rotors needing to be changed with every change of brake pads. Can anyone confirm is this is necessary? Dealer also mentioned a break fluid flush every 2 years. Is this necessary as well?

Brake fluid every two years is absolutely correct, and is listed in the owner's manual as such. Before he puts in pads, if you have any concerns about dust, look for Akebono EUR 1340/1341 pads...excellent performance and extremely low dust. The condition of your rotors needs visual inspection and thickness measurement, and replacement is far from routine with just getting new pads. Ask about them being in or out of spec for thickness, run-out...are they badly scored (deep grooved rings)? You do want a smooth surface for the new pads to mate against.

ICON 1 12-12-2011 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sportstick (Post 4956511)
Brake fluid every two years is absolutely correct, and is listed in the owner's manual as such. Before he puts in pads, if you have any concerns about dust, look for Akebono EUR 1340/1341 pads...excellent performance and extremely low dust. The condition of your rotors needs visual inspection and thickness measurement, and replacement is far from routine with just getting new pads. Ask about them being in or out of spec for thickness, run-out...are they badly scored (deep grooved rings)? You do want a smooth surface for the new pads to mate against.

Thanks for your input. This is the first vehicle I have owned needing new rotors with each brake pad change. I have owned Lexus, BMW, Honda vehicles in the past and none of them required rotors being changed with each brake pad change.

Glyn M Ruck 12-12-2011 07:07 AM

+1 Sportstick. American dealers seem to like rotor/disc changes. Rotor wear is so duty dependent. Benz has a minimum thickness spec & that is very conservative. If you are changing pads prior to low pad warning as Benz do in countries where the cars are sold with a Mobilodrive maintenance plan. You will probably average very roughly 3 sets of front pads to one set of rotors. Rear pads & rotors last a long time.

ICON 1 12-12-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 4957373)
+1 Sportstick. American dealers seem to like rotor/disc changes. Rotor wear is so duty dependent. Benz has a minimum thickness spec & that is very conservative. If you are changing pads prior to low pad warning as Benz do in countries where the cars are sold with a Mobilodrive maintenance plan. You will probably average very roughly 3 sets of front pads to one set of rotors. Rear pads & rotors last a long time.

Thanks for your input. Your right about the American dealers wanting to do rotor/disc change. I have 80% highway driven 48.5K miles and very good habits with my brakes. Low pad warning light has not even come on and dealer has assessed that I need to do a rotor/disc change. The pad sets to rotor change ratio you have indicated sounds more reasonable to digest. The dealer recommendation is on my rear rotor/pads and says front are fine. Seems that the dealer is over recommending as usual. I'll probably get another look at them from another dealer but am leaning towards changing the rotors with every other set of brake pads. What's your opinion on the every 2 years brake fluid flush?

NickCats 12-12-2011 10:06 AM

Icon,

Not meaning to thread jack, but I found it interesting that the dealer recommends changing your rears but the fronts are fine.

Is the C class brakes different in some way than other German car brakes ?

I have owned many German cars from many different manufacturers and this is the first car that the rear wheels are covered in dust but the fronts are clean. Now I know about the issues with the pads, but, is there something special about our cars that the rear brakes work harder than the front ?

Is seems that dusting and the fact the rears often need replacing first would indicate this is the case, or am I missing something ?

Nick

ICON 1 12-12-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by NickCats (Post 4957494)
Icon,

Not meaning to thread jack, but I found it interesting that the dealer recommends changing your rears but the fronts are fine.

Is the C class brakes different in some way than other German car brakes ?

I have owned many German cars from many different manufacturers and this is the first car that the rear wheels are covered in dust but the fronts are clean. Now I know about the issues with the pads, but, is there something special about our cars that the rear brakes work harder than the front ?

Is seems that dusting and the fact the rears often need replacing first would indicate this is the case, or am I missing something ?

Nick

Nick, not sure but you are correct about the brake dust being more covered in the rear than the front. Will ask the dealer about it.

ShoremNJ 12-12-2011 10:22 AM

I only had to change pads at 95,000 miles, same rotors done at dealer.

Glyn M Ruck 12-12-2011 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by ICON 1 (Post 4957480)
Thanks for your input. Your right about the American dealers wanting to do rotor/disc change. I have 80% highway driven 48.5K miles and very good habits with my brakes. Low pad warning light has not even come on and dealer has assessed that I need to do a rotor/disc change. The pad sets to rotor change ratio you have indicated sounds more reasonable to digest. The dealer recommendation is on my rear rotor/pads and says front are fine. Seems that the dealer is over recommending as usual. I'll probably get another look at them from another dealer but am leaning towards changing the rotors with every other set of brake pads. What's your opinion on the every 2 years brake fluid flush?

The two year brake fluid flush is extremely sensible. Brake fluid is hygroscopic & absorbs water. At the cost of a new ABS block today should corrosion by-products damage it, I recommend the 2 year brake fluid flush on any car. If you left it for 3 years it would not be a train smash but short of analysing the water level just change it.

NickCats - The W204 brake bias is not to the rear. It is to the front like all Benz cars. The lady of the home's W204 350 dusts it's front wheels just like my recently sold W203 & my W209. If you don't have the bad batch of pads on your rear & they are dusting badly - something is wrong.

Sportstick 12-12-2011 11:30 AM

At the risk of redundancy, I cannot emphasize enough how well the Akebono EUR 1340/1341 (C300...C350 needs different part number) solves the entire brake dust problem with excellent brake performance.

NickCats 12-12-2011 11:56 AM

Glyn,

Thanks for the confirmation ( in my case, it is the pads, a known issue )

Regards,

Nick

NewtwoMB 12-12-2011 12:37 PM

Rear brake pad dust

Hi, just a contribution from me on the brake dust issue / pads and rotors

I've seen many references to rear brake pad dust in the 3 years since I've been in this forum and I find it absolutely mystifying as I have never had that experience with my C Sport.

It just makes the front wheels dirty like every other car I ever owned (and I've had over 30!). Perhaps there's a different type of pad for US use from that in Europe.

I found out last week (after ordering a set of LED turn signals for the front) that there are different in specs from US to Europe. I find it hard to understand why the type of fitting for the front turn signal bulbs has to vary - push in fitting like the city light bulbs for the US and bayonet fitting for here in Europe. Must be a reason I guess but what is it?

And dealers here do not recommend new rotors with pads; only when rotors are worn / distorted / scored. MB ownership is expensive enough FGS! :smash:

Eickecc 12-12-2011 01:23 PM

These oem rotors score pretty badly. Just rub your finger across the rotor and see if it feels grooved. As for thickness...?? Also, you should prob do the work yourself. Soooo easy.

Glyn M Ruck 12-12-2011 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick (Post 4957571)
At the risk of redundancy, I cannot emphasize enough how well the Akebono EUR 1340/1341 (C300...C350 needs different part number) solves the entire brake dust problem with excellent brake performance.

This advice is frequently given on the 203 forum. Seems Porterfield are also highly regarded.

dudeitsmattx 12-12-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick (Post 4957571)

Im with you on that. I got these and I have not seen ANY brake dust since!! They are great pads!!!!!!

ICON 1 12-12-2011 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 4957545)
The two year brake fluid flush is extremely sensible. Brake fluid is hygroscopic & absorbs water. At the cost of a new ABS block today should corrosion by-products damage it, I recommend the 2 year brake fluid flush on any car. If you left it for 3 years it would not be a train smash but short of analysing the water level just change it.

NickCats - The W204 brake bias is not to the rear. It is to the front like all Benz cars. The lady of the home's W204 350 dusts it's front wheels just like my recently sold W203 & my W209. If you don't have the bad batch of pads on your rear & they are dusting badly - something is wrong.

Thanks for your opinion on the brake fluid flush. My dealer wants $145 but found a coupon at MB Wilmington for $89. One thing good about my dealer is that they are willing to price match other dealers specials in the surrounding NY/NJ/CT/ area.

Carsy 12-12-2011 02:39 PM

The only way to tell is the dealer is incorrect is to inspect & measure the pads & rotors yourself. Ask on this formum what are the min thickness for the rotors. They are different to the ones I have in Australia.

qaz393 12-12-2011 05:40 PM

no love for centric posi-quiet??? they are highly prasied on other forums too. centric is same company as stoptech which is in my opinion a better company than brembo. brembo is more of a name and lacks value compared to stoptech.

Glyn M Ruck 12-12-2011 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by qaz393 (Post 4958093)
no love for centric posi-quiet??? they are highly prasied on other forums too. centric is same company as stoptech which is in my opinion a better company than brembo. brembo is more of a name than performance.

Nonsense from you again! :crazy: Brembo makes some of the finest brakes in the world for bikes & cars. What stops an F1 car? Carbon Industries, Hitco or Brembo.

qaz393 12-12-2011 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 4958255)
Nonsense from you again! :crazy: Brembo makes some of the finest brakes in the world for bikes & cars. What stops an F1 car? Carbon Industries, Hitco or Brembo.

they do have great performance, but i cannot justify their price for aftermarket parts (such as blanks and pads) compared to stoptech's offerings.

Glyn M Ruck 12-12-2011 07:57 PM

You said "Brembo is more of a name than performance." Now you change your tune.

I have warned you previously. You are skating on thin ice. I'm tired of member complaints about your senseless posts.

qaz393 12-12-2011 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 4958322)
You said "Brembo is more of a name than performance." Now you change your tune.

I have warned you previously. You are skating on thin ice. I'm tired of member complaints about your senseless posts.

edited for better clarity

Eickecc 12-12-2011 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by qaz393 (Post 4958310)
they do have great performance, but i cannot justify their price for aftermarket parts (such as blanks and pads) compared to stoptech's offerings.

What are you saying? Because they're out of your price range they're not quality?

Glyn M Ruck 12-12-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by qaz393 (Post 4958329)
edited for better clarity

More incoherent nonsense.

qaz393 12-12-2011 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eickecc (Post 4958396)
What are you saying? Because they're out of your price range they're not quality?

:nix::nix::nix: where did i say i cannot afford them??? i rather go for centric rotors because they have e-coating on their rotors. useful in the salty winter where i live. even the oem rotors have a similar black coating. i do not see any brembo (one piece) rotors have this technology/feature at any price.