MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Differential Fluid Change (4MATIC Owners) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/427435-differential-fluid-change-4matic-owners.html)

VegasWhoa 05-25-2016 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 5000518)
Johnand's thread is definitive & TC must be drained to get all the oil out of the system.

See Sticky version here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ce-thread.html

Flushing is only necessary on 722.6 transmissions after 1999 that have no TC drain.

Has anyone touched base on how to change the front axle hypoid gear oil. Listed in my manual, shows a capacity amount under fluids. Read TC is easy to do so no worries there. This is in reference to a 722.9 W204 2010 C300 4Matic

sdenney89 05-26-2016 02:22 PM

I just did my front and rear differential drain n fill and did I hear you correctly?,,,,,that the Mercedes technician needed to pull the front drive shaft to fill the fluid,,,, you got to be kidding me???!!!!!!!!! You simply fill exactly where you drain the fluid ,,,,,,,,, I simply used a 1 liter bottle and used a pump set up to fit the drain hole so no fluids spill out while pumping in 1 1/2 liters of fresh 75w90 up front and 1 liter for the back,,, took me 20 minutes to do both services,,,,,,

sdenney89 05-26-2016 02:38 PM

I just did my front and rear differential drain n fill and did I hear you correctly?,,,,,that the Mercedes technician needed to pull the front drive shaft to fill the fluid,,,, you got to be kidding me???!!!!!!!!! You simply fill exactly where you drain the fluid ,,,,,,,,, I simply used a 1 liter bottle and used a pump set up to fit the diameter of the drain hole so no fluids spill out while pumping in 1 1/2 liters of fresh 75w90 up front You just have to have the drain plug ready to cap when full,,, that's it,, I only had 80,000 miles and my front diff was nearly empty,,,, so yes it's got to get done asap,,,,

VegasWhoa 05-26-2016 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by sdenney89 (Post 6814508)
I just did my front and rear differential drain n fill and did I hear you correctly?,,,,,that the Mercedes technician needed to pull the front drive shaft to fill the fluid,,,, you got to be kidding me???!!!!!!!!! You simply fill exactly where you drain the fluid ,,,,,,,,, I simply used a 1 liter bottle and used a pump set up to fit the diameter of the drain hole so no fluids spill out while pumping in 1 1/2 liters of fresh 75w90 up front You just have to have the drain plug ready to cap when full,,, that's it,, I only had 80,000 miles and my front diff was nearly empty,,,, so yes it's got to get done asap,,,,

What year and transmission do you have? 722.6 or 722.9 ??

As this thread states, the front diff is attached to the transmission and I believe uses trans oil for lub. The Front Axle I was referring to, I believe is in a tight spot to reach on the passenger side behind the passenger side tire.
Yes that uses gear oil 75w90

ghlkal 05-27-2016 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by sdenney89 (Post 6814508)
I only had 80,000 miles and my front diff was nearly empty,,,, so yes it's got to get done asap,,,,

How much diff fluid did you pump out?

LandSeaAir 02-05-2017 12:03 PM

Have any other members done the front and rear differentials?

The rear is easy, but according to my mechanic the front is more difficult.

I don't want to do the rear and not the front... would seem half-assed and stupid... instead I'll just leave both unchanged... even stupider

Colin G 02-05-2017 12:23 PM

My MB dealer insists that my 2009 has no drain plug and the drive shaft has to be removed to change the fluid. I want this done asap since I think it needs to be done and is not a lifetime fluid. They did not perform a flush and fill on the front differential when I had my transmission fluid changed recently even though I asked for it to be done.

I was really hoping a drain plug was there since it will cost me about $500 to have the fluid change done at the dealership.

The dealership only put in about 6 litres of fluid when they did my transmission fluid change a short time back so where are the other 3 litres of transmission fluid?

VegasWhoa 02-05-2017 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Colin G (Post 7046926)
My MB dealer insists that my 2009 has no drain plug and the drive shaft has to be removed to change the fluid. I want this done asap since I think it needs to be done and is not a lifetime fluid. They did not perform a flush and fill on the front differential when I had my transmission fluid changed recently even though I asked for it to be done.

I was really hoping a drain plug was there since it will cost me about $500 to have the fluid change done at the dealership.

The dealership only put in about 6 litres of fluid when they did my transmission fluid change a short time back so where are the other 3 litres of transmission fluid?

You can use a syringe type device made for mechanics or a mity vac type pump and fill via the drain plug opening. You will have to compensate for loss. I changed mine out of my 2010 C300 W204 4Matic at 95k miles and the fluid was raunchy....smelled horrific. Glad new fluid is in for sure.

VegasWhoa 02-05-2017 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by LandSeaAir (Post 7046905)
Have any other members done the front and rear differentials?

The rear is easy, but according to my mechanic the front is more difficult.

I don't want to do the rear and not the front... would seem half-assed and stupid... instead I'll just leave both unchanged... even stupider

You can use a syringe type device made for mechanics or a mity vac type pump and fill via the drain plug opening. You will have to compensate for loss as you re putting the plug back in.

I changed mine out of my 2010 C300 W204 4Matic at 95k miles and the fluid was raunchy....smelled horrific. Glad new fluid is in for sure.

Colin G 02-06-2017 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by VegasWhoa (Post 7047004)
You can use a syringe type device made for mechanics or a mity vac type pump and fill via the drain plug opening. You will have to compensate for loss. I changed mine out of my 2010 C300 W204 4Matic at 95k miles and the fluid was raunchy....smelled horrific. Glad new fluid is in for sure.

Hyoid gear oil is smelly to begin with. I am pretty sure (according to what I have been told) my 2008 does not have a filler plug hence the axle needs to be pulled. They brought the plug back in 2010 I believe.

Funkwagen 02-06-2017 09:15 AM

I'm thinking about buying a new drain plug from the dealer and possibly modifying it to be some sort of bleeder valve, so I can pump new fluid in and close it off before disconnecting the pump. When I get around to actually doing it, I'll post a DIY, if it goes according to plan.

gianton 02-06-2017 09:17 AM

New (C250 CDI 4Matic '12 model) owner here with 225.000 kms. Is there a transfer case on this car or just the front and rear differentials that need to be done?
My local dealer told me that the transmission oil n filter will be changed acoording to the service messages. Is this correct? An oil n filter change was done at 139.000 kms as per the car's service history.

VegasWhoa 02-06-2017 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Colin G (Post 7047630)
Hyoid gear oil is smelly to begin with. I am pretty sure (according to what I have been told) my 2008 does not have a filler plug hence the axle needs to be pulled. They brought the plug back in 2010 I believe.

Yes but with 95k miles on it is even worse

LandSeaAir 02-06-2017 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well the only thing that I could see possibly being the drain/fill hole is the square black cap on the top right of the unit... picture pulled from ebay, search: C300 4matic front differential, there's tons of them for $500 and under... they don't seem to be too big of a deal to find, and they aren't too cumbersome either.

One nice thing about the 204 is that there are so many of them out there, and so many wrecked ones as well, so parts from wrecked ones are cheap and easy to find...not to mention car is so easy to work on.

According to the listing, this is from a 2008.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2011-ME...dYKj4s&vxp=mtr

Funkwagen 02-07-2017 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by LandSeaAir (Post 7048435)
Well the only thing that I could see possibly being the drain/fill hole is the square black cap on the top right of the unit... picture pulled from ebay, search: C300 4matic front differential, there's tons of them for $500 and under... they don't seem to be too big of a deal to find, and they aren't too cumbersome either.

One nice thing about the 204 is that there are so many of them out there, and so many wrecked ones as well, so parts from wrecked ones are cheap and easy to find...not to mention car is so easy to work on.

According to the listing, this is from a 2008.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2011-ME...dYKj4s&vxp=mtr

Looks like <2010 models don't have a drain screw at the bottom. If you find a diff that's from a 2010 or newer 204, it'll have one

Originally Posted by gianton (Post 7047643)
New (C250 CDI 4Matic '12 model) owner here with 225.000 kms. Is there a transfer case on this car or just the front and rear differentials that need to be done?
My local dealer told me that the transmission oil n filter will be changed acoording to the service messages. Is this correct? An oil n filter change was done at 139.000 kms as per the car's service history.

The transfer case is integrated with the rest of the transmission and uses the same fluid, so you don't need to do a separate fluid change for it

gianton 02-10-2017 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Funkwagen (Post 7048810)
The transfer case is integrated with the rest of the transmission and uses the same fluid, so you don't need to do a separate fluid change for it

Thanks, I've contacted my local dealer and told me that they service the rear differential every 150k kms and the cost is €140. The front one is hard to service it as they need to move away the driveshaft with higher labor cost. I haven't contacted any independent mechanic yet as I don't trust them for that kind of work.

Colin G 04-13-2017 01:33 PM

My 2008 4matic is at the dealer right now getting the front diff fluid changed.

They tried really hard to not get me to do it and ask me why.

I simply answered why not? They said they have never really done this before and I think that they are foolish not to.

These 4 matic boxes are notorious for the bearing failing so fresh hypoid filled to spec should not be a bad idea. My car has only 630000K on it but the car is new to me and I want peace of mind about the differential fluid being changed F and R. (I had the rear done last fall).

I asked for them to save me a fluid sample of the original stuff to see how dirty it is or if there are metal particles in there. I bet it will be under filled also from the factory. A few instances I have read here show the factory fill was under what it was supposed to be and the fluid quite dirty.

I pick the car up later today so I'll let you all know my findings about how clean or dirty the original hypoid is.

This is also the dealership that said they have never seen an ESL failure which I find very hard to believe, considering a fella who bought a 2008 C350 not long after I bought mine last summer, had an ESL failure just this past December.

Colin G 04-13-2017 11:44 PM

Got the car back and the original fluid sample they kept for me was very dark and dirty. Only 63,000 KM on the car but I am glad I had it done. I didn't get a chance to ask the tech if the original fluid level was low or not.

Bill came to about $492 CAD with taxes since they had to remove a drive axle to replace fluid ect.

superangrypenguin 04-14-2017 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 4966204)
No it's not included in the transmission fluid service. MBUSA has this filled for life nonsense inculcated in the organisation. This must trouble Stuttgart. Filled for life = compromised life. Yes I know with cars it's a toss out with the trash market.

Service the 722.9 transmission every 39K miles like ROW - it is one expensive piece of kit to repair & changing axle oils every 100K miles is a very good idea. The W203 4Matic owners find the axles an easy DIY. The W204 is majority W203 under the shell with tweaks.

Sorry TLdr the entire thread. Just getting caught up - sorry folks.

So:

So is that the guidance then? Every 100,000 miles - drain and fill front and rear differential fluid?

I'm getting my tranny drained and filled in a few weeks. Is this front/rear diff fluid drain and fill something else that isn't covered?

Thank you

Carsy 04-14-2017 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 7116172)
Sorry TLdr the entire thread. Just getting caught up - sorry folks.

So:

So is that the guidance then? Every 100,000 miles - drain and fill front and rear differential fluid?

I'm getting my tranny drained and filled in a few weeks. Is this front/rear diff fluid drain and fill something else that isn't covered?

Thank you

Last month I drained my diff ( 2 wheel drive) at 10,000 KM & noticed the oil was quite dark.

I would not be waiting the 100,000 miles. It is only 1.1 litres. but need 2 one litre bottles. I bought the MB recommended 235.7 Fuchs Titan Sinopoid FE 75w85. which was A$40/ litre compared with MB A$120.

superangrypenguin 04-14-2017 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Carsy (Post 7116227)
Last month I drained my diff ( 2 wheel drive) at 10,000 KM & noticed the oil was quite dark.

I would not be waiting the 100,000 miles. It is only 1.1 litres. but need 2 one litre bottles. I bought the MB recommended 235.7 Fuchs Titan Sinopoid FE 75w85. which was A$40/ litre compared with MB A$120.

Holy moly. 10,000 miles? I mean, just because an oil is dark doesn't mean it's "bad". Have you tried getting a used oil analysis on it? (just curious).

I also assume there's no filter in the diff. :(

It's shocking to me that MB has no service interval for the diff.

PS - it's a separate diff for the front and rear right that needs to be drained? Yes, I realize it's an asinine question but just asking ahead of my tranny service. Maybe i'll do it all at the same time (50k km - yes, I know it's early but I drive my car hard) :zoom:

Carsy 04-14-2017 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 7116333)
Holy moly. 10,000 miles? I mean, just because an oil is dark doesn't mean it's "bad". Have you tried getting a used oil analysis on it? (just curious).

I also assume there's no filter in the diff. :(

It's shocking to me that MB has no service interval for the diff.

PS - it's a separate diff for the front and rear right that needs to be drained? Yes, I realize it's an asinine question but just asking ahead of my tranny service. Maybe i'll do it all at the same time (50k km - yes, I know it's early but I drive my car hard) :zoom:

That's a typo, it should read 100,000 km. Well, it looked as black as a witches tit if you want to know the truth. I have not had it analysed , rather go on 50 years experience & spend the money on fresh oil.

superangrypenguin 04-14-2017 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Carsy (Post 7116347)
That's a typo, it should read 100,000 km. Well, it looked as black as a witches tit if you want to know the truth. I have not had it analysed , rather go on 50 years experience & spend the money on fresh oil.

Ah, ok, that's perfectly fair. 100,000 miles = 160,000 km so maybe i'll wait until my 100,000km tranny drain and fill. That gives me a 60,000km buffer.

I'm like that stupid child.

My car says oil change intervals are 20k. I do them at 10k. My tranny service time is at 60,000km. I'll do it at 47,000km.

I dunno - the idea of doing a service at the manufacturer's suggested time = it's too long for me. I always do them early. I mean, girls like it when we finish early, right?

:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

PortC43 04-22-2017 04:41 PM

So how much fluid to do the tranny, front AND rear diff's ?

mikarr 02-01-2020 10:53 AM

front differential gear oil capacity

Can anyone tell me what the recommended oil capacity is on the front differential of a 2012 E350 4matic?