C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Dual Exhaust on C250

Old 12-25-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Sorry, bhvrdr & I posted at the same time. I did not see his post. We appear to disagree but don't in fact.

Turbo engines require very carefully controlled back pressure upstream of the turbo correctly spec'ed for the specific turbo & rev range & throttling by throttle plates on the inlet (so as not to choke the turbo on over run). Downstream of the turbo you want low backpressure & no fancy messing with the exhaust. Keep it simple and open.

In some circumstances too wide open does not help. When running a race team many years back with Turbo Audi's we found that totally wide open (drainpipe) seemed to have an adverse effect on upstream scavenging - while a simple open exhaust downstream gave optimal measured performance across the rev range.
good to know
thanks for sharing.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
When I was thinking of trading for the C250 coupe I was planning on doing the exhaust tip in black so it wouldnt stand out..just an option.

I think im gonna hold out for the new baby CLS though :-)
Old 12-26-2011, 10:01 PM

GLC250 Coupe
Originally Posted by C300Kid
When I was thinking of trading for the C250 coupe I was planning on doing the exhaust tip in black so it wouldnt stand out..just an option.

I think im gonna hold out for the new baby CLS though :-)
C250 and the CLS is like a watermelon and a pineapple...
or are you talking about the CLK?

There is a member here whom had blacked out tips.. and i personally find it very nice.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
The baby CLS, based on the new A/B-Class platform..coming in 2014.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 AM

GLC250 Coupe
Originally Posted by C300Kid
The baby CLS, based on the new A/B-Class platform..coming in 2014.
Ahhhh.. the new CLK are pretty nice too.. But good to know
Old 12-31-2011, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
You know, I was doing some more thinking (as I still have time since I can't pick up my new c250 coupe until tuesday.

Wouldn't it be simplest/cheapest just to use something like this:

located at: http://www.race-mart.com/Magnaflow_P...GF-12588.html#

This magnaflow performance muffler would double as the y-pipe (mounting right after the resonator, and secure with exhaust hangers which are right there) and then just straight pipe to the exhaust tips? It seems like there is all of the benefits, none of the drawbacks. It saves weight by only having one muffler for a dual setup (or quad), and also shifts the weight more towards the center of the car, which is a plus. It saves TONS money, and simplifies the install greatly!

Any ideas/feedback? Am I missing something here?
Old 12-31-2011, 05:42 AM

GLC250 Coupe
Originally Posted by jctevere
You know, I was doing some more thinking (as I still have time since I can't pick up my new c250 coupe until tuesday.

This magnaflow performance muffler would double as the y-pipe (mounting right after the resonator, and secure with exhaust hangers which are right there) and then just straight pipe to the exhaust tips? It seems like there is all of the benefits, none of the drawbacks. It saves weight by only having one muffler for a dual setup (or quad), and also shifts the weight more towards the center of the car, which is a plus. It saves TONS money, and simplifies the install greatly!

hmmm.. if you can get it to fit, it would be doable. The only place i see with enough width to do this is the OEM catalyst mounting.

Not sure if i'd affect the airflow / turbulence since this is closer to the engine, but i'm sure some of the more experienced members here will chip in.

Overall it looks like a good idea, but you are still restricting the flow to one muffler (which is what the OEM has) instead of 2 so not sure of any performance gains there..

interesting theory though
Old 12-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires

Ask Magnaflow for an internal layout of that muffler. It says "straight through" but what do they mean by that. If it has a perforated Y pipe inside it's perfect. If it has any sort of baffle that sends shock waves back up the pipe it is no good.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Thanks, I will find out. On another subject, does anyone know the diameter for the c250 exhaust. Is it 2.25" like the C300's?

I have found an AWESOME deal for some slightly used c300 mufflers with tips still. So I might just keep it all oem and simple and use that. So I hope that the diameter is still 2.25"
Old 01-01-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB C220 Sport W204, 18" AMGs, Grey lthr, xenons, p'ktronic, HKardon, Comand nav.
Smile To: Guys that added Y pipe and extra exhaust outlet

Just a question to you. Did you inform your insurance company of the mod? Even if it didn't add performance it might be thought to do so and ICs are quick to null any claim on cars that are modded without informing them.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
Thanks, I will find out. On another subject, does anyone know the diameter for the c250 exhaust. Is it 2.25" like the C300's?

I have found an AWESOME deal for some slightly used c300 mufflers with tips still. So I might just keep it all oem and simple and use that. So I hope that the diameter is still 2.25"
If you mean the diameter for the pipe from rear silencer to mid silencer ? This one is about 2.80 (70 mm)

If you gonna try it, also order the exhaust bracket for the right silencer. It isnt there now !!
Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Petje
If you mean the diameter for the pipe from rear silencer to mid silencer ? This one is about 2.80 (70 mm)

If you gonna try it, also order the exhaust bracket for the right silencer. It isnt there now !!
Hmm, 2.8" is odd. Too bad its not the same size as the c300's exhaust... Also, I thought that somoene else said that the mounts for the exhaust hangers on the mufflers were on the C250 on the passenger side?

And no, I don't inform my insurance company of any modifications. The modifications that you are referring to are supercharger, turbo, etc. Those you should let them know about. But there is no way that they can deny coverage for having your x-pipe in place of a resonator, or in the C250 case, dual exhaust on your car. The only thing that they can do is deny coverage of those aftermarket parts. So if you get rear ended, they COULD (but probably won't even know), not pay for the diffuser and exhaust work cat-back if needed. But everything else will be covered unless the modification caused the accident.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
Will check it tomorrow , i have mentioned the size in a Thread but cant search on my iPhone.

The bracket for the right silencer isnt there, you can check it by removing the black cover. The most right one isnt there.

I mean this one:
http://www.mecdesign.de/new/images/tuning/exhausts/w204/c200/c200_exhaust_7.jpg
Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB C220 Sport W204, 18" AMGs, Grey lthr, xenons, p'ktronic, HKardon, Comand nav.
Quote: "And no, I don't inform my insurance company of any modifications. The modifications that you are referring to are supercharger, turbo, etc. Those you should let them know about. But there is no way that they can deny coverage for having your x-pipe in place of a resonator, or in the C250 case, dual exhaust on your car. The only thing that they can do is deny coverage of those aftermarket parts. So if you get rear ended, they COULD (but probably won't even know), not pay for the diffuser and exhaust work cat-back if needed. But everything else will be covered unless the modification caused the accident".

My experience is that the modification is a chance for the insurance company to refuse the claim on the grounds that they did not know the repair would be different on the modded car than on a standard car. The contract I sign specifically asks [I]whether the car has been modified in any way.

Insurance companies have much more influence and control in the UK over repairs and repairers would inform the insurer if its not standard as they won't get paid for additional items Is this not the case elsewhere? They're all after saving dollars where they can....

Last edited by NewtwoMB; 01-04-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by NewtwoMB
Quote: "And no, I don't inform my insurance company of any modifications. The modifications that you are referring to are supercharger, turbo, etc. Those you should let them know about. But there is no way that they can deny coverage for having your x-pipe in place of a resonator, or in the C250 case, dual exhaust on your car. The only thing that they can do is deny coverage of those aftermarket parts. So if you get rear ended, they COULD (but probably won't even know), not pay for the diffuser and exhaust work cat-back if needed. But everything else will be covered unless the modification caused the accident".

My experience is that the modification is a chance for the insurance company to refuse the claim on the grounds that they did not know the repair would be different on the modded car than on a standard car. The contract I sign specifically asks [I]whether the car has been modified in any way.

Insurance companies have much more influence and control in the UK over repairs and repairers would inform the insurer if its not standard as they won't get paid for additional items Is this not the case elsewhere? They're all after saving dollars where they can....
I thankfully have not had to deal with anything of that matter. But I would never imagine that by having post-cat exhaust work done, insurance would deny coverage on a claim. It doesn't void warranty. I'm sure they "could" deny coverage if they wanted to, but they could do that regardless even if it was stock even if they feel like it. Its quite a joke actually.

I would actually be willing to bet that a repair guy wouldn't even notice it being aftermarket (as most people are oblivious). However, more realistically, is if you apply aftermarket mods (such as bumpers, diffusers, lips, spoilers, etc. And those get stolen or damaged, insurance can deny coverage if they weren't listed on the policy. I don't think that its because it would cost more to fix - they could still fix it with oem parts for the same price. But more about the fact where they will not cover the cost of replacing an aftermarket front lip, since it wasn't on the insurance contract.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 AM

07 Toyota Harrier
Any info on the magnaflow?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:13 AM

MB C350 Coupe
Smile 2012 C350 Coupe

I would like to change exhaust tips on C350 Coupe to AMG style quad tips.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Well, I finally ordered all the necessary parts today to get Quad exhaust done on my C250 coupe! I like to push the envelope, so definitely get ready for the "loudest" C250 you will probably ever hear. I just hope it doesn't sound too ricey... On my C300 I ran a pure resonator delete with x-pipe and muffler delete setup. THAT was loud, obnoxious and had TERRIBLE drone.

With the C250 I plan on running a (1) 2.5" Magnapack 14" long, followed by a 2.5" Y-Pipe Inlet to a Dual 2.25" outlet, then feeding quad titanium polish C63 styled exhaust tips to tie in the C63 diffuser (Resonator and Muffler Deleted). I hope the parts get here ASAP so I can get some videos on here for all to see, and then base their mods off my videos! I never was a fan for full Catback systems. I like to design, mix and match my own parts and do the exhaust myself. This way I get a custom sound how I want it sound, and save TONS of money too! Now I just hope that the Magnapack will be enough to eliminate the drone to my liking...

Last edited by jctevere; 06-26-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:07 AM

C43
Geez - it's a Mercedes. Enjoy that part of it.

Don't screw it up too much by making it into a Subaru rice burner from Fast and the Furious.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Good luck jct ~ we await the outcome with anticipation.