C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-10-2015, 06:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

New DI Engines -- Excessive Carbon Buildup ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
You are asking all the wrong questions.
Enlighten me.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Okay here we go...... !!!!!!!!!!!!

I did a little poking around and found this... and it looks good... maybe! The new DI engines are designated M276 and M278, (V6 - V8). Both utilize the same head design although the V8 is turbocharged. But for our discussion, we are more interested in the set up of the injectors, which are piezo-electric direct petrol injection and the location of the intake valves relative to the injector. The new engine has a reduced V-angle between the cylinder banks, 60 now vs. 90, making the engine naturally balanced, enabling the designers to eliminate the friction hogging balancer shaft. The fuel efficiency numbers are truly astonishing for this engine, more than 24% more economical than the previous engine!

Let's look at the pix...

M276 V6

^ See where they placed the direct injected fuel injector?.... TDC! Now look at this picture...

M278 V8 but same head design.

^ You can better see in this picture that because of where the piezo electric injector is located, (not to the side but above the intake valves) Kevibk2 may have hit the nail on the head! The intake valves (the larger ones) are perfectly located to take full advantage of the injectors spray pattern cleansing properties.

__________________________________________________ ___________

The following is taken from Autoholics:

"In contrast to the V8, the new V6 engine is naturally aspirated, and has the potential for future use of a turbocharger thanks to the modular design concept.

A completely new intake and exhaust gas system with a variable-resonance intake manifold and optimised airflows was also developed for the new V6. This enabled the output of the 3499 cc engine to be increased to 225 kW (306 hp) (Previous engine of the same displacement in the S-Class: 200 kW/272 hp). Torque has increased from 350 Nm to 370 Nm, and is available between 3500 and 5250 rpm.

Key figures for the new V6 engine

No. of cylinders
V6
Displacement (cc)
Bore (mm)
Stroke (mm)
Compression ratio:
12.2:1
Output (kW at rpm)
225 at 6500
Torque (Nm at rpm)
370 from 3500-5250

Both the new V6 and the new V8 from Mercedes-Benz have aluminium crankcases, pistons and cylinder heads. The crankshaft, connecting rods and valves are of special forged steel.

Mercedes-Benz has achieved this considerable leap in efficiency with the use of innovative technology – including newly developed, third-generation direct petrol injection with spray-guided combustion, multiple injection and multi-spark ignition. With this new generation of V-engines, Mercedes-Benz is clearly demonstrating that with concerted further development, internal combustion engines still have a great deal of potential, and that V6 and V8 engines with their great running refinement are fit for the future.

The technology package in the new engine generation includes a number of new developments that are unique in this combination:

• In combination with multi-spark ignition, a further developed, third generation direct fuel injection system with spray-guided combustion and piezo-electric injectors offers further possibilities for fuel savings – in the V8 by means of an improved, homogeneous combustion process, and in the V6 by a new, stratified combustion process with a considerably extended characteristic map and fuel-efficient lean-burn technology.

• In conjunction with start/stop technology, shift point adjustment and specific friction-reducing measures, improvements in day-to-day fuel consumption by more than 20 percent are possible.

• Power consumption by ancillary units has been reduced. These include an optimised water pump with second generation thermal management, a demand-controlled oil pump, a volume-controlled high-pressure fuel pump and an intelligent generator management system.

Lightweight construction techniques and detailed improvements have also reduced in-engine friction considerably compared to the previous engine.

Third generation direct petrol injection

Direct petrol injection with spray-guided combustion, which Mercedes-Benz was the first car manufacturer to introduce in series production, has been developed further as a third generation. The system pressure is up to 200 bar, the pressure being variably optimised according to the engine’s characteristic map. Completely newly developed piezo-electric injectors allow up to five injections per intake stroke for the best possible mixture formation.

The crystalline structure of the piezo-ceramic changes in microseconds under an electric voltage, and with a precision of just a few thousandths of a millimetre. The central component of a piezo-electric injector is the piezo-stack, which directly controls the metering needle. With a response time of just 0.1 milli-seconds, the fuel injection can be very sensitively and precisely adjusted to the current load and engine speed, with a beneficial effect on emissions, fuel consumption and combustion noise.

The multiple injections even in tiny quantities made possible with piezo-electric injection technology were used by Mercedes-Benz engineers to control a wider characteristic map with the efficient lean-burn process, and to provide the conditions for further functions:

• As the first new operating mode, Mercedes-Benz engineers have developed “Homogeneous stratified combustion” (HOS). As the name implies, HOS is a combination of homogeneous lean-burn and classic stratified combustion. The first injection is sprayed into the intake stroke, forming a homogeneous basic mixture. Actual “stratified” injection takes place during the compression stroke before ignition, and is a single or double injection depending on the characteristic map.

(Please Note: This may be the answer I've been looking for! HOS can be programmed to spray multiple times during the power stroke, and at any rpm! (Amazing but so does my GT-R) This means that Mercedes engineers quite possibly took advantage of this technology to spray off the intake valves during those milliseconds! See next point below.)

• Another new operating mode is known as “Homogeneous Split” (HSP). In this homogeneous combustion process, more than 95 percent of the fuel is singly or multiply injected, followed a very small “ignition” injection to stabilise combustion. This is used when combustion conditions are difficult.

The characteristic map of the new Mercedes-Benz V6 engine is therefore basically divided into up to four areas:

− idling range (homogeneous)
− low partial load up to 4 bar and 3800 rpm (stratified)
− medium partial load 4 to 8 bar and up to 4000 rpm (HOS)
− high load and entire engine speed range (homogeneous or HSP)
__________________________________________________ _____________________

Well there you have it! This is the best possible proof I can find to date that the boys over in the new sub-plant of the Untertürkheim engine werks, lies the new V-engine factory at Bad Cannstatt, knew what they were doing!

M276 V6

^ This picture doesn't help our discussion at all but I thought is was very cool so I included it.

Last edited by MBRedux; 02-24-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
carbon???

MBRedux,
thanks for the pics.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the carbon buildup in the valvestem area, outside the combustion chamber/ in the intake ports?

So, with DI all the spraying is inside the combustion chamber and even with the multiple injections/injections during the intake and compression strokes etc, it is still inside the combustion chamber. Thus, the intake ports get no direct cleansing by raw fuel and the issue remains. They are upstream from the fuel spray.
Outside of minor seepage/swirl back into the intake port, no real fuel source cleans the intake ports and therein lies the (potential) problem.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:10 AM

2008 C350 4Matic
No strange reason. My heritage company asked me to stay out of it. I obliged.
As a new owner of a C3504M and reader of this forum, I always keep an eye out for your responses. You are clearly educated, informed, not into rampant speculation, and carry yourself in a very professional manner. Kudos!

I look forward to more measured responses in the future.

Jason

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 02-24-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: C3504M not 3404M - typo by poster
Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Thank you Jason. I wish I had a clap smiley for the naysayers now they have done their homework. As I said when I got embargoed - "I'm sure you will find their (MB's) comments reassuring". I was itching to comment but had agreed not to. Kevink2 is a good engineer & he basically had it sorted.

BTW - I'm allowed to say this. It came from MBSA. In high temp endurance testing down here in Southern Africa at extreme mileage no detrimental depositing was found on the new DI engines.

As I have said before Benz also understands captive breather & oil control in DI engines both diesel & gasoline.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MinnBobber
MBRedux,
thanks for the pics.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the carbon buildup in the valvestem area, outside the combustion chamber/ in the intake ports?

So, with DI all the spraying is inside the combustion chamber and even with the multiple injections/injections during the intake and compression strokes etc, it is still inside the combustion chamber. Thus, the intake ports get no direct cleansing by raw fuel and the issue remains. They are upstream from the fuel spray.
Outside of minor seepage/swirl back into the intake port, no real fuel source cleans the intake ports and therein lies the (potential) problem.
It's all in the valve tulip protrusion into the combustion chamber & valve timing & overlap. 'Nuff said.

EDIT: Benz was building stratified charge DI engines in Europe in 2003.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 02-24-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
Glyn, it's not that people (myself included) are naysers. It's more the fact that if I'm putting out ~$50K for a car, and hearing horror stories about DI engines, and no (to date) response from direct inquiries to MB that it's a logical assumption that no news is not good news. I certainly hope that they know what they're doing and the latest post here (along with your latest comment about endurance testing) starts to give reason to believe that things may be fine. Again, when you have a financial investment in something it only makes sense to want to ensure that your money is being well spent.

As always, I enjoy reading your knowledgeable contributions to this and other topics.

Thank you Jason. I wish I had a clap smiley for the naysayers now they have done their homework. As I said when I got embargoed - "I'm sure you will find their (MB's) comments reassuring". I was itching to comment but had agreed not to. Kevink2 is a good engineer & he basically had it sorted.

BTW - I'm allowed to say this. It came from MBSA. In high temp endurance testing down here in Southern Africa at extreme mileage no detrimental depositing was found on the new DI engines.

As I have said before Benz also understands captive breather & oil control in DI engines both diesel & gasoline.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Understood! There should not have been horror stories.

Of technical note: See how the piston design is adopting diesel characteristics - obviously of far lighter construction.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 AM

Glyn !!

Originally Posted by madhermit
As a new owner of a C3504M and reader of this forum, I always keep an eye out for your responses. You are clearly educated, informed, not into rampant speculation, and carry yourself in a very professional manner. Kudos!

I look forward to more measured responses in the future.

Jason

I too look forward to Glyn's responses, even if they now need to be more measured.
Please don't drive him away by dumping on him/his motives etc. A consultant has to respect their companies wishes or else...
He is a valuable resource here.
Bob in MN, US
Old 02-24-2012, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Nice work MBRedux, and Glyn enjoy your Retirement in that wonderful location.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There should not have been horror stories.
Originally Posted by kevink2
Nice work MBRedux.
Well thank you kevin, very well appreciated!

Unfortunately it appears that some here refuse to understand the process of a public forum. Asking questions and receiving answers, especially if it is known by one or more, is what makes a place like this worth while, am I right? It's rare that the person who asks the question and/or starts a thread is left to answer it for him or herself... and is then demonized for previously citing known cases where DI has proven itself to be a major performance issue by the very person in charge... who then states that "wrong questions were asked", who possibly had the answer all along since he professes to know the "right questions"!

No horror stories here Glyn, it's the TRUTH, defined as factual. Look, Mercedes is STILL not out of the woods here! The true horror story is what happened here IMO.

Lacking information is one thing, but intentionally withholding it or criticizing members for seeking it out on their own is NO WAY to run a public forum where information is crucial to the operations of the site. I do not appreciate it Glyn. That is no way to run a forum.... period.

Of technical note: See how the piston design is adopting diesel characteristics - obviously of far lighter construction.
Incorrect, the piston crown shown in these pictures are not "adopting diesel characteristics". They're recessed simply to allow for valve clearance. The deep pocket is to increase volume capacity. Chamber vortex properties aside, these pistons are standard fare in any high performance, high efficiency engine seen today.

That said, my post above is in no way proof that Mercedes has solved the issue, and you know it. It's "hope" where there was none before that Mercedes may have addressed it. I'm trying to be "optimistic" where information was lacking, and I must add, STILL IS lacking despite my post.

These Piezo injectors fire off 3 or 4 ultra fine bursts a millisecond but only during the intake stroke... hardly enough to time to "clean off" any carbon deposits since they are not *continuous* in nature as in some port injected cars. If you took the time to read the entire post, then you must have read this:

(Please Note: This may be the answer I've been looking for! HOS can be programmed to spray multiple times during the power stroke, and at any rpm! (Amazing but so does my GT-R) This means that Mercedes engineers quite possibly took advantage of this technology to spray off the intake valves during those milliseconds! See next point below.)

I said "quite possibly"! There's NO PROOF that Mercedes did. Again, this is optimistically speculative, not a "horror story".... not yet anyways! Only time will tell. Field testing doesn't prove much. Audi said the same thing, but was tragically wrong.

So to all, I would still keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited by MBRedux; 02-24-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBRedux,
thanks for the pics.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the carbon buildup in the valvestem area, outside the combustion chamber/ in the intake ports? (Yes, evidence proves that if one or more of the valve stem seal caps fail, oil will leak past and adhere to the valves within the air intake port where internal pressures and heat will form carbon. Over time this carbon will accumulate enough to hamper proper air intake.)

So, with DI all the spraying is inside the combustion chamber and even with the multiple injections/injections during the intake and compression strokes etc, it is still inside the combustion chamber. (Yes that is correct.... that is until the valves start to open and then close during the intake stroke. From the looks of it, the valves may pass into the spray pattern of the injector.) Thus, the intake ports get no direct cleansing by raw fuel and the issue remains. (Well yes and no. The port chamber will never get the cleansing benefits of detergent gasolines. But if, and I do stress "if" the engineers took advantage of the HOS system, theoretically they could use it to cleanse the intake valves when opened and in the path of the injected fuel cone. Keep in mind, there is no proof of this either. I'm being optimistically speculative. ) They are upstream from the fuel spray. (Yes, but not when the valves open by the look of the pix.)
Outside of minor seepage/swirl back into the intake port, no real fuel source cleans the intake ports and therein lies the (potential) problem. (You're right, except there is still that small possibility that they did take advantage of the HOS system... but it is only optimistic speculation.)
So, we must be cautious until further evidence on either side comes to light.

Last edited by MBRedux; 02-24-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

The pistons are most certainly following diesel design other than the valve relief. For the rest You go on scratching!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:18 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Good thread, and is getting informative.

Thanks,
Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The pistons are most certainly following diesel design (Please explain?) other than the valve relief. For the rest You go on scratching!
Again... elighten me then. What's the saying? "Put up, or shut up?"
Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
I have an idea... let's keep this about the potential issue (read: potential, not definite) and fixes, and less about attacking other members who for whatever reason may not be able to disclose all that they know.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
+1

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
I have an idea... let's keep this about the potential issue (read: potential, not definite) and fixes, and less about attacking other members who for whatever reason may not be able to disclose all that they know.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Put up.

Originally Posted by MBRedux
Again... elighten me then. What's the saying? "Put up, or shut up?"
Previous generation M272, M273 piston crowns. Flat + valve relief.

The new M276 you posted above with diesel influenced crown for DI.

The OM642 Diesel "Bluetec" engine from Benz.

Attached Thumbnails New DI Engines -- Excessive Carbon Buildup ??-m272-3-pistons.jpg   New DI Engines -- Excessive Carbon Buildup ??-2011-mercedes-benz-new-v6-v8-engines-5.jpg   New DI Engines -- Excessive Carbon Buildup ??-bluetec-large1.jpg  
Old 02-25-2012, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks... but no cigar... I don't see it. What I do see in the diesel is a true cone shaped crown, just a typical diesel piston completely absent from with no resemblances to the M276 piston. That cone does have a purpose, know what it is?

Last edited by MBRedux; 02-25-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are confusing "attacking" with *defending*.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:11 AM

2008 C350 4Matic
+2
Old 02-25-2012, 07:39 AM

piston cones

Originally Posted by MBRedux
Thanks... but no cigar... I don't see it. What I do see in the diesel is a true cone shaped crown, just a typical diesel piston completely absent from with no resemblances to the M276 piston. That cone does have a purpose, know what it is?
Hi,
I believe the DI M276 cone shaped piston crown centralizes the stratified charge/lean burn mixture around the spark plug to get a better burn/more complete burn from a mixture that is well leaner than the stoichiometric ideal mixture of 14.7 : 1
It also enables, in conjunction with the multi-squirt injectors, the engine to run at very lean mixtures at higher load/higher rpm levels, not just at idle and very minimal load levels.
It provides a home base for the DI ticky-ticky noise

Bob

Last edited by MinnBobber; 02-25-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not going to be provoked by the purveyor of cigars.

The direction of DI piston design in both diesel & petrol engines is to low turbulence for better emissions control & fuel consumption. This of course aided by very high pressure multipulse injectors with full electronic control. The toroidal recess with cone, which is fast becoming the design of choice in these DI engines, controls the desired swirl within a defined area for complete combustion. Diesel engines require a more aggressive cone due to the nature of the fuel & droplet size. As injection improves so cones require to be less aggressive.

There are also cooling, structural & weight considerations. DI gasoline pistons started showing cracking in the outer "squish" band of the piston similar to diesels & have now been strengthened in this area with the broad diesel type band while trying to keep weight under control. DI petrol engine pistons are nevertheless higher in weight due to strength requirements & longer skirts.

The result of this is that DI petrol engine crowns start looking like DI diesel crowns.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 02-25-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi,
I believe the cone shaped piston crown centralizes the stratified charge/lean burn mixture around the spark plug to get a better burn/more complete burn from a mixture that is well leaner than the stoichiometric ideal mixture of 14.7 : 1
It also enables, in conjunction with the multi-squirt injectors, the engine to run at very lean mixtures at higher load/higher rpm levels, not just at idle and very minimal load levels.
It provides a home base for the DI ticky-ticky noise

Bob
Diesels have spark plugs?
Old 02-25-2012, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm not going to be provoked by the purveyor of cigars.

The direction of DI piston design in both diesel & petrol engines is to low turbulence for better emissions control & fuel consumption. This of course aided by very high pressure multipulse injectors with full electronic control. The toroidal recess with cone, which is fast becoming the design of choice in these DI engines, controls the desired swirl within a defined area for complete combustion. Diesel engines require a more aggressive cone due to the nature of the fuel & droplet size. As injection improves so cones require to be less aggressive.

There are also cooling, structural & weight considerations. DI gasoline pistons started showing cracking in the outer "squish" band of the piston similar to diesels & have now been strengthened in this area with the broad diesel type band while trying to keep weight under control. DI petrol engine pistons are nevertheless higher in weight due to strength requirements & longer skirts.

The result of this is that DI petrol engine crowns start looking like DI diesel crowns.
Contradictory?

Are we looking at the same pictures? There is no cone on this new Mercedes Direct Injected M278 piston, nor is there an extended flush skirt, nor anything resembling a diesel crown or piston design. I'm sorry, but piston design is going in the opposite direction. Diesel engine design is adopting gasoline attributes. Audi has repeated proven this to be the case with their world class TDI designs and cars. Lighter designs improve efficiency, new alloy compositions improve strength without power sacrificing weight. I'm on the track every season networking with the best engine builders out there and I simply think you're either out of touch, or dreaming. You haven't convinced me.

This new Mercedes DI piston has NOTHING in common with a diesel... period.

Last edited by MBRedux; 02-25-2012 at 12:37 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New DI Engines -- Excessive Carbon Buildup ??