MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   25 for loaners?! (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/431908-25-loaners.html)

killerg 01-21-2012 09:22 PM

25 for loaners?!

The **** mercedes, ive had no problems getting loaners up till now for my services, but apparently the new policy is to be 25 to sign for a loaner?! I had to drive around a Kia Soul from enterprise. I did not sign up to drive around in a ****box like that.

Was my dealer bull****ting me, or is this actually a mercedes policy?
I'm taking my service elsewhere :word:

g_spyder91 01-21-2012 09:40 PM

I know that alot of car rental agencies have the "+25" rental policies, if not for all of their cars then at least for their premium/luxury cars. Can't say i've ever heard of the dealers doing it for a loaner though. Could very well be a new policy that you dealer has adopted.

TexFinn 01-21-2012 11:20 PM

I believe each dealer sets at least some of the rules/restrictions on the loaners.

FraKctured 01-21-2012 11:31 PM

"Loaners" are, from a legal perspective, actually "rental cars" with a "$0.00" cost. Age limits have been a restriction on all rentals ever since I rented my first car 25 years ago. A credit card was also required, but 25 years ago, it was harder to get a credit card than it is now, so that's probably not a big deal anymore.

Actuaries do their job very well, and the age threshold must be a relevant metric for risk assessment.

RLE 01-23-2012 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by killerg (Post 5015979)
The **** mercedes, ive had no problems getting loaners up till now for my services, but apparently the new policy is to be 25 to sign for a loaner?! I had to drive around a Kia Soul from enterprise. I did not sign up to drive around in a ****box like that.

Who's insuring these loaners? It could be that the insurer has set some new rules that the dealer has to live by. Does your own auto insurance cover you in these cars and are the deductibles and limits acceptable to the owners of the vehicle?

My last dealer loaner's legal owner was a leasing company in Virginia even though I am in Seattle.

jctevere 01-23-2012 12:41 AM

I know it varies by dealer (or maybe these are state laws/mandates)? Here in NY at my dealer it is 21+ for any loaner (your luck determines Mercedes or a toyota/rental). At Infiniti they would give me a toyota/other rental at 18, and an Infiniti if I was 21+. So I think it varies per dealership rules.

killerg 01-23-2012 04:30 AM

its just annoying i guess =/

thought i would be done with arbitrary age limits now that i am well over 21.
the other annoying part is that they have given me several mercedes loaners in the past, but all of a sudden im too young.

I think I will call ahead to some new places and ask other dealers what their conditions on loaners are for service... =/

Stevedotmil 01-23-2012 04:34 AM

That's probably a great idea so you don't get surprised when they pull the loaner in or lack there of.

Benz-o-matic 01-23-2012 06:50 PM

I've run into the same issue. The age limits are more likely implemented through their insurance provider and are set based on risk analysis. I was told 23 by my dealer (NJ). My service advisor had a loaner ready for me but then was unable to give it to me. He was rather confused as he figured someone old enough to manage their cars service should be able to have a loaner. Go figure!

killerg 01-23-2012 09:19 PM

this was also in jersey... ray catena in union

next time i will just bring some journals there to brush up on... stupid kia

killerg 01-23-2012 09:19 PM

btw, not a terrible car, but just not a suitable loaner for when you bring in your c-class

ImmaBeSmug2 01-23-2012 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by killerg (Post 5015979)

#FirstWorldProblems

dcjwlee 01-24-2012 01:03 PM

Lol, first world problems indeed.

Back when I still smoked grass, I went in to service the E completely LIT UP. Car and myself were wreaking like no other.

SA took one look at me and put me in a Chevy Impala loaner and cited some "problems with our insurance, the dealer is working on it". The rental agreement actually states you can't drive the car under the influence of drugs or alcohol!

Good car though! I think it's quicker than the C300 and it is tight and responsive! Plus, when you drive on the highway with only the yellow marker lights on people tend to move over because they think it's a cop car.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stereotyped based on what you looked like/dressed like rather than actual age. Not saying that there are no "rental requirements" but haven't you been in for service before? And received a loaner?