MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   X-pipe and no muffler = too loud (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/433346-x-pipe-no-muffler-too-loud.html)

nias9527 02-01-2012 09:50 PM

X-pipe and no muffler = too loud

A few months ago I got my resonator replaced by xpipe and it still too quiet for me, and today I delete my muffler. It sounds amazing outside.
BUT its way too loud inside!!!!
too much drone
what should I do..
1. Should I get a aftermarket muffler??!
2. Or should I just put the stock muffler back and pretend I lose my $200:confused::confused:
or ?????????
HELPPPP

acr2001 02-01-2012 10:22 PM

:nonono:

A car used around town needs a muffler otherwise it is obnoxious and embarrassing. You should reinstall the stock muffler or buy one that's a little raspier if you insist.

Mixedfruits 02-01-2012 10:33 PM

Yeah recently I have become annoyed of my car too. I have lined the rear trunk spare tire compartment with noise reducing material, it helped, but I dont think I put enough of it. I think im putting my stock mufflers back on. Another option if you must have aftermarket is remus their exhausts arnt too loud, but its 1000...

mhad2480 02-02-2012 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mixedfruits (Post 5033519)
Yeah recently I have become annoyed of my car too. I have lined the rear trunk spare tire compartment with noise reducing material, it helped, but I dont think I put enough of it. I think im putting my stock mufflers back on. Another option if you must have aftermarket is remus their exhausts arnt too loud, but its 1000...

I had Remus exhaust on my VR6 Jetta back in the day. Loved the way that sounded, not really "tunerish" it had a deeper sound which I found much more appealing.

itsLoonie 02-02-2012 12:58 AM

Had this same set up. Had too much drone. Loved the outside sound though. Luckily I found a great deal on the Meisterschaft Quad system on eBay for 65%. Total came out I be around 1.4k or something. The company were going to stop caring the brand so they were being rid of them all at a liquidated price. Got lucky :y. Love this set up a lot. Not so much drone inside as with the old set up. Btw, mine is labeled C350 on the muffler but it fits perfect for my C300.

Stevedotmil 02-02-2012 11:40 AM

Lucky duck Loonie. I need to find that deal.

snarlingchicken 02-02-2012 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mixedfruits (Post 5033519)

Told you sooooooooo lol. Gg. But yeah if anything to both you and the OP, throw on some magnaflows or something. Personally I'm not a fan of magnaflows but hey, it's better than nothing.

nias9527 02-02-2012 08:16 PM

so should I just install some aftermarket magna-flow muffler??
Can it reduce the drone inside the car?? (its really hurting my ears)
any muffler recommended from you guys???
thanks!!

nias9527 02-03-2012 04:57 AM

I'm thinking about this aftermarket muffler and I want to keep my stock tips
is it possible ??? because this one come with tips

jctevere 02-03-2012 04:12 PM

I had this setup. I found "glasspacks" to be a pretty good mix. Still some drone, but not to the point of straightpipes where it would rattle stuff in my car from the sound vibrations, lol.

Just lookup magnaflow glasspacks. They are cheap and small too.

nias9527 02-03-2012 05:00 PM

what is glasspacks???
is it the one without the tips so I can use my stock tips??
you said there is still some drone, but is it inside the car?? is it loud???

Mixedfruits 02-03-2012 05:06 PM

can you post a video?

nias9527 02-03-2012 05:47 PM

Yeah I'm planning to start editing all the videos I did to my cars
maybe take a day or two I will post it here!!

Mixedfruits 02-03-2012 05:53 PM

i ment of the glasspack ahah :D

DEE-AMG 02-03-2012 06:16 PM

I just had my mufflers taken out today.

Put a straight pipe from x pipe to the quad staggered tips.

Sounds lovely outside. There is drone inside, but if you don't drive hard, don't bother me too much. I normally drive with the music up anyways.

I think it's the best decisio I have made and won't go back.

RLE 02-03-2012 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by DEE-AMG (Post 5036595)
I just had my mufflers taken out today.

Put a straight pipe from x pipe to the quad staggered tips.

Sounds lovely outside. There is drone inside, but if you don't drive hard, don't bother me too much. I normally drive with the music up anyways.

I think it's the best decision I have made and won't go back.

Be sure to save all the original equipment because the car will be unsellable without it.

killerg 02-03-2012 07:46 PM

In other news: Sky is blue and Water is wet

sorry but the title is pretty funny to me lol
You are gonna want mufflers and a glasspack resonator. Feel free to get the magnaflows with tips, or get some borlas or something without tips and but the AMG tips

DEE-AMG 02-04-2012 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 5036682)
Be sure to save all the original equipment because the car will be unsellable without it.

Thanks, all the original parts have been kept for when I sell it.

Will be starting a thread with pictures, drive bys and specs soon.

Winter here in UK is bitter.

Waiting for weather to warm up to get photoshoot done with two of my mates 500bhp subaru's. :D

jctevere 02-04-2012 03:24 PM

Unfortunately, I turned my car in off-lease, and no longer have that setup. I now have a c250 coupe. (Got it so fast, didn't have time to video the new setup).

But there are tons of videos on YouTube with BMW's using glasspacks. There are two big manufacturers, Magna-flow or Cherry Bomb. If you ask me, they are pretty much the same, as its just fiberglass packed into the pipe, to help break up the resonance.

There is a "right way" and a "wrong way" to install them. The right way it has a bigger impact on the resonance, if you install it the "wrong way" from what the pipe says, it has less of an impact on resonance - while still reducing it, and some report an increase in sound volume.

Here is one on the BMW 5 series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1craM...eature=related

I believe it is straight piped with the glass packs (dual).

Illusive 02-05-2012 02:31 AM

Put the mufflers back on. Sorry, but IMO, it sounds obnoxious with a straight pipe...reminds me of Honda Civics with grapefruit shooter(s).

Spend the cash and get yourself a nice exhaust system like the Meisterschaft or the Remus if you want some more sound. I had the Remus exhaust installed on my 09 C350, loved it because it wasn't loud at all, but gave the overall tone a nice, deep sound under load and a deep warble at idle. It's worth the extra cash, a couple hundred bucks here and there and you're almost at the cost of the Remus exhaust. Install is pretty straight forward and you could do it yourself to save on some costs. I believe I had a write up on it here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...50-4matic.html

Video of the sound here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXP2TytzK0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7pZQ..._order&list=UL

Benz-o-matic 02-06-2012 01:27 AM

What would sound better? Straight pipe with glasspacks or X pipe with muffler+res delete?

I love the sound of a nice big block but summer is coming and I need some car music for when my windows are down lol

Also what would be the best way to achieve that evil crackly snappy gargly "backfire" you find on most of the AMG's? There has to be a way to do it as many smaller cc engines are capable of producing it.

jctevere 02-06-2012 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Benz-o-matic (Post 5039410)
What would sound better? Straight pipe with glasspacks or X pipe with muffler+res delete?

I love the sound of a nice big block but summer is coming and I need some car music for when my windows are down lol

Also what would be the best way to achieve that evil crackly snappy gargly "backfire" you find on most of the AMG's? There has to be a way to do it as many smaller cc engines are capable of producing it.

WHOA - what I did was an x-pipe and glasspacks, not just glasspacks straight off the cats... This DEFINITELY had the most ///AMG ish backfire pop. Essentially, the x-pipe goes where the resonator is, the glasspacks go where the mufflers were. But you might even be able to simple have the glasspacks right after the x-pipe (fitting essentially entirely where the resonator was) and then just straight pipe to the end from there for simplicity. :nix:

Here was my video below an underpass (no glasspacks in this video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKmIi...1cAUAAAAAAABAA

And no, it wasn't that obnoxiously loud, the underpass was BIG and echoed more than normal, but it was LOUD! lol.

Benz-o-matic 02-06-2012 02:09 AM

Yeah man I've watched that vid of yours alot and it made me want to go with a muffler delete as well. It sounds excellent. It's just tough to pick up the popping on anyones videos lol. As soon as I can find an exhaust shop in the tri-state that won't take me for a ride I want to get it done.

Also what glasspacks did you use if you dont mind me asking?

hotcorner216 02-06-2012 02:12 AM

I love my X pipe and muffler-less sound :( haha

jctevere 02-06-2012 02:23 AM

Your right. The video doesn't capture it well. But the v6 will never really "pop" like a v8. However. When I am on the highway and let of Te gas. You hear a less aggressive popping. Almost like the Infiniti commercial where you keep hearing the slowing downshift rev. The best I can explain it in words is a "dooooo-dooo-doo-do-do". Instead of a POPPP pop pop. Lmao

But xpipe and muffler delete is the closest you are ever going to get. You still get Te same doin with the glass packs too. Just not as obnoxious of a resonance at cruising speeds.

Too bad I got rid of my c300 or I would have made a video for you.