C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2011 C300 Towed to Dealer: Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 4matic 2013
How did the fix end up?

Originally Posted by mysturi0us
car: 2008 mb c300

the car is not starting. the key doesn't lock/unlock. no dashboard no lights no window function no seat function no radio. nothing.

tried jumpstarting with no suceess BUT when connected the headlights came on, the power seats works, with luck the dashboard might come on. everything else still dont work. when you put the key in you can here the steering column unlock. so im assuming its not the the EIS problem (which i had one replace about 1.5 years ago)

I just brought it to the dealership. It is going to diagnostic as I'm typing this. The SA think that the electrical board might be fried under the front driver side, because it is wet. But the car stop working before it got wet. And the only reason it was wet its because i couldn't close the window (somehow it opened a little crack during jumpstart but won't work after)

SA told me if it is the electrical board thats fried its going to cost me a fortune. But it doesn't make sense to me because it stopped working before it got wet. To be honest, the floor were in wetter conditions during a couple of blizzards this part winter and it was fine.

I really hope its not the electrical board and probably just a weak battery (since its time to change it (i haven't changed it since I got the car 7 years ago))

IF anyone know what it can possibly be would be great!!!!
I encountered exactly same incident -- no dashboard, no light, no window, no seat, no door function. The jump start dis not work, only helps dashboard light... The car doesn't started.

My car is new 2013 C350, only drive 20k miles in past 2.5 years.
It has been towed to dealer, however be little damaged by tow truck dollies - paint off...
I doubt why the professional mercedes roadside is so unskillful... But it is a small problem. For the big issue, any one can help assess the root cause?
Old 09-16-2015, 11:32 AM

2008 C350
SAM ( SIGNAL ACQUISITION MODULE).......THIS IS AN EXPENSIVE FIX TOO....HAVE YOU HAD IT CHECKED?
Old 10-17-2015, 09:10 PM

SLK280
What was your problem?!

Hi there,

Was it your EIS?? I'm having the exact same issue. Please help ASAP!!

Thank you

Originally Posted by LAGLAM
This just happened to me last night!! Drove to work, no prob, leave from work, not so much!! I leave it locked at my gated work facility, get ready to have it towed the next morning, and bingo, it starts right up.....Really!! I have never had any problem with my car, ever, has 80,000 miles, it's been awesome. New battery last year, so I new that wasn't it, after reading this forum, I figured it out, and I'm a girl!! The exact same thing, dead, but the radio plays, some lights come on, but won't turn over at all. This forum has really helped, I even tried both my keys, no go!! I don't live in a city that has a MB Dealership, so I'm hoping I can call and see it this is something the Bentonville, AR dealership can fix, and if it will be covered. Fingers crossed!!
Old 10-17-2015, 11:20 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by scalhoun06
Hi there,

Was it your EIS?? I'm having the exact same issue. Please help ASAP!!

Thank you
Yes, it was my EIS....$2000 to replace(parts & labor)
new ignition switch and steering locks replaced
no getting around it.....
2008 C350
Old 10-18-2015, 12:48 AM

SLK280
Oh lord, did you have it replaced at the dealership or a certified mb mechanic? and do those two (EIS and Steering lock) go out together....crazy

Thanks

Originally Posted by drs1heart
Yes, it was my EIS....$2000 to replace(parts & labor)
new ignition switch and steering locks replaced
no getting around it.....
2008 C350
Old 10-18-2015, 07:34 PM

2008 C350
Thumbs up

had fixed by MB Authorized dealer(MERCEDES BENZ TECHS, NORCROSS, GA)
Old 10-18-2015, 07:35 PM

2008 C350
Its best to replace them both at the same time
Old 11-08-2015, 05:52 AM

C300
C300 EIS?! Agitated

I have the same issue, years later as the first post. Pulled into my apt complex, got out the car to check the mail, got back into car-- it wouldn't start. This occurred at 6pm Saturday night. Tech came and was just a battery expert. So, he had to call for a tow which finally arrived 2.5 hours later. Ended up being towed to the dealership at midnight. Car won't be seen until maybe Monday. The key turns but the car doesn't start. The battery for the car is new and reads 12.6 v when tested. The radio and lights work, but the Windows won't roll up/ down nor does the sunroof, and the glove compartment doesn't light up. With the key inside the ignition and the door opened, the car notifies me to remove the key from the ignition. I am not sure what's going on, any ideas? Sounds like the EIS after reading this post. This is ridiculous! Thankfully I was within my apt complex.

Thank you, CJ
Old 11-08-2015, 12:31 PM

2008 C350
response -2008 C350 owner Atlanta ga

yes CJ, don't even try trying to guess on this one!!! It's definitely the EIS & steering locks that need replacing, cost $ 1700 - $2000.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:25 PM

C300
Originally Posted by drs1heart
yes CJ, don't even try trying to guess on this one!!! It's definitely the EIS & steering locks that need replacing, cost $ 1700 - $2000.
Thank you. They diagosised it as the steering lock that went bad. And said the EIS was functioning fine (however they are able to tell that). Costing a little over $950. I did however file the NHTSA form online. There should be a way to have Mercedes undo the lock if the car isn't actually stolen. 🙄
Old 11-16-2015, 07:54 PM

2009 CL63, 2013 GL550
Just ran into this problem- car not starting, it wont even turn the dummy lights / radio on or acknowledge position 2 or 3. Had towed to dealer, looks to be steering lock Facing around $1100 out the door
Old 11-16-2015, 08:33 PM

C300
Originally Posted by Mr_Clifton
Just ran into this problem- car not starting, it wont even turn the dummy lights / radio on or acknowledge position 2 or 3. Had towed to dealer, looks to be steering lock Facing around $1100 out the door
Mercedes really does need to handle this issue because it's a faulty part and anti-theft system. I would advise you filing a report with NHTSA, as a few of us have done.
It really is such an inconvenience.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:01 PM

2009 CL63, 2013 GL550
Originally Posted by cjstewart1
Mercedes really does need to handle this issue because it's a faulty part and anti-theft system. I would advise you filing a report with NHTSA, as a few of us have done.
It really is such an inconvenience.
Car was fixed today at a cost of $1065 Ended up being a steering lock electrical fault

I did go through and file a report- I agree, this sucks. I brought it to Mercedes-Benz of Chandler and they were great... but I'd prefer that MBUSA cover it
Old 01-11-2016, 07:24 AM

C class c220 cdi
Hi Dj_marv where did you bring it in Dublin ??????
Old 01-23-2016, 09:58 AM
ADJ

2009 C300
2009 c300 won't start

Just bought a 2009 c300 with 70000 km's on it. Had the same problem. Parked the car. Came back. Locks open. Stereo works. Key turns but doesnt start. Reading all these posts right away thought it was my EIS.
Went home & got my other key & it started right up. Could this be early signs of an EIS issue or is it a problem with the key? Any thoughts/advice would b greatly appreciated!
Old 01-24-2016, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by ADJ
Just bought a 2009 c300 with 70000 km's on it. Had the same problem. Parked the car. Came back. Locks open. Stereo works. Key turns but doesnt start. Reading all these posts right away thought it was my EIS.
Went home & got my other key & it started right up. Could this be early signs of an EIS issue or is it a problem with the key? Any thoughts/advice would b greatly appreciated!
Due to the intermittent nature of the problem, it may be hard to say for sure even if you have both keys in hand when it happens. I would take note of which key has the problem and if it seems to be with only one, the key could be the issue...the keys are not cheap but nowhere near as costly as a new EIS or ESL.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:45 PM

C300
2010 C300

Hello,
I am the new member of the "ignition switch issue".
Purchased the car used with just 70K miles. Three months later I lost the only key I had. Towed the vehicle to dealer about a week ago. Yesterday, I received a call from the service adviser stating " we ordered and programmed the new key. The car is showing signs of starting but is not starting. Do you want us to take a look at it and see with the issue may be?" Of course I said yes. What other option did I have. Today I I receive a call back saying the fuel pump and filter are bad and need to be replaced. In addition the ignition switch went back while they were trying to start the car back and forth.
I have read a lot of people have had this issue, and Mercedes is the only one that will not fix this problem. This seems to be a bad manufactured part, but the fact that Mercedes does not own up to it, is frustrating, to think that you have purchased a better quality car. this would probably be my last one. Any thoughts or advise?

Thank you all
Old 12-08-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220 CDI SLK 200
Originally Posted by Flamingojax
Hello,
I am the new member of the "ignition switch issue".
Purchased the car used with just 70K miles. Three months later I lost the only key I had. Towed the vehicle to dealer about a week ago. Yesterday, I received a call from the service adviser stating " we ordered and programmed the new key. The car is showing signs of starting but is not starting. Do you want us to take a look at it and see with the issue may be?" Of course I said yes. What other option did I have. Today I I receive a call back saying the fuel pump and filter are bad and need to be replaced. In addition the ignition switch went back while they were trying to start the car back and forth.
I have read a lot of people have had this issue, and Mercedes is the only one that will not fix this problem. This seems to be a bad manufactured part, but the fact that Mercedes does not own up to it, is frustrating, to think that you have purchased a better quality car. this would probably be my last one. Any thoughts or advise?

Thank you all
If you want reliability and quality buy a ricer
Mercedes are on the bottom of the table when reliability is measured
Personally I would buy a Mazda before a Mercedes
Old 12-08-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
MSD---Mercedes Sudden Death

The name for this unfortunate condition is ..........Mercedes Sudden Death(MSD).

A design/Manufacturer problem, that should be fixed for free seeing in certain countries it can lead to your safety at risk.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:03 PM

Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts
2008 C350 Sport 4Matic Swap
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
If you want reliability and quality buy a ricer
Mercedes are on the bottom of the table when reliability is measured
Personally I would buy a Mazda before a Mercedes

No they aren't, mine has 250k and has never left me stranded, you just have to do your home work and prevent the issues from happening in the first place, for the steering lock issue, get emulators before it happens, want a 2008-2012 c class ? Well first thing you do is an emulator. They fixed this issue in 2013+ models.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:02 AM

C220 CDI SLK 200
Originally Posted by ltwargssf
No they aren't, mine has 250k and has never left me stranded, you just have to do your home work and prevent the issues from happening in the first place, for the steering lock issue, get emulators before it happens, want a 2008-2012 c class ? Well first thing you do is an emulator. They fixed this issue in 2013+ models.
It is cheaper to buy a Korean car with a 7 year guarantee. A Mercedes is not a car I would ever buy again.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Yes the EIS failure is potentially bad, and yes you can have a hacker install an emulator...

However, if you are a makeshift mechanic you can preventively replace the ESL motor for under $20...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quality-ESL...xYFEcd&vxp=mtr

And it will work as good as new... doing this every 8 years is not bad if you ask me... there are tutorials on disassembling the steering column, and then on disassembling the actual ESL module to replace the motor.

THE KEY: Replacing the motor preventively - because if the ESL motor fails while in the lock position - it is locked to the steering column (I had to drill into the module and turn the motor manually just to get the module off the steering column (you need to get the module off the steering column in order to open it up and replace the motor)) (I was also lucky when my motor failed as I was still getting a 'click' sound from the motor meaning the software did not lock out the module yet and it could be fixed by just replacing the motor; if the software locks you out - that's essentially a $1500-$2k trip to the dealer).

If you put the key in when the ESL is still working and it unlocks - then disconnect the battery, and removing the module will be a breeze....
Old 12-09-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Also - you are better off taking the white plastic part (the brushes) off the China motor and putting it on the back of the original motor...

In other words - only replacing the motor brushes instead of the complete motor - apparently the China motors can be temperamental

So when I say replace motor in the above post - just replace the brushes.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:58 PM

2009 C300 Luxury
I had my 2009 C300 towed to the dealer for this problem. Dealer stated the issue is an "electronics ignition switch" and it's going to cost a little over $1300 to fix it. I'm seeing a lot of issues with this switch but no official recall. I'm considering on going back to an accord. At least it was reliable.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:20 AM

2011 C300 Sport Calcite White / Black Anthracite
Well, I think my car has the same problem. I posted on this thread a little over 3 years ago. Crazy, Appointment is next week, Hope it doesn’t fail before then and the dealer has the part in stock or can get it quickly and not have to wait.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 C300 Towed to Dealer: Ignition Switch