MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   CLUNKING sound when engine is turned off..... (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/438506-clunking-sound-when-engine-turned-off.html)

Hot_Fur 03-10-2012 01:22 PM

CLUNKING sound when engine is turned off.....

This may be a common issue. My 204 is a manual and makes a quick clunking sound when I turn the motor off.....it does NOT make the sound when I depress the clutch as I'm shutting her down...

Problem....solution...advice...?

DonjuanOriginal 03-10-2012 04:11 PM

I get the same Clunk sound. I also have a manual. I'm guessing it's the exhaust front pipe rattling. From people stalling it and wearing out exhaust hangers. My mufflers and tips hang lower than other w204. I bought mine used so i don't know previous driving habits. I am booking a dealer appointment in the coming weeks for that issue and others. Will update if no one chimes in on this thread. Good luck.

Sportstick 03-10-2012 04:14 PM

Another manual here....no clunk sound...worth a dealer inspection.

Glyn M Ruck 03-10-2012 06:13 PM

It's the gearbox layshaft rattling if it's the noise I'm thinking of. Worth a check but many do it with no fault.

Hot_Fur 03-11-2012 03:45 AM

...i've heard that explanation before...but on a Mercedes...? It's almost embarassing shutting her down and having it clunk like a POS.....

Glyn M Ruck 03-11-2012 02:26 PM

Let me be polite here: MB MT's are a little agricultural. I think they spoil the cars. I don't even like the clutch action but I guess that's personal.

Sportstick 03-11-2012 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 5096964)
Let me be polite here: MB MT's are a little agricultural. I think they spoil the cars. I don't even like the clutch action but I guess that's personal.

You were both polite and accurate. This has been the most challenging manual I've ever had to drive both smoothly and enthusiastically at the same time. I like the rest of the car quite a bit, and was willing to take a mediocre stick over no stick, but may head to the blau mit weiss roundel next time.

Stevedotmil 03-11-2012 09:46 PM

I have the manual as well and have no clunk. I too have had a year to finally get used to the shifting action. I may go back to the Roundel but in ///M trim next time as well.

nzkaveman 03-11-2012 11:55 PM

Auto trans here, when I'm in "D" and turn off the engine, it does make a clunk noise. Assume that's just its way of "straightening out the trans or putting it into Park".

Try my best to always put it in Park first before I turn 'er off but very occassionally I forget.

DrivingForce 03-04-2020 08:26 PM

I have this noise. I also have a pinging issue but I'm currently working through a bottle of Techron to resolve that. Or is it related?

DrivingForce 03-04-2020 09:51 PM

Just tried shutting off the car with the clutch pedal depressed and the clunk does not happen when shutting down. So it must not be related to my pinging issue.