C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Experience with buying tires at Costco

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Experience with buying tires at Costco

Just venting out my frustration here...

I have aftermarket C63 style rims - non-staggered with 235/40/18. I've driven more than 40k miles on them without any issues.

Now it is time to replace the tires, so I went to Costco yesterday to get Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S. The guy at the counter told me they wont sell me the tires because the car originally comes with staggered setup. I called the manager and he insisted on the same thing. When the discussions were going nowhere, I left angry and frustrated.

I would have preferred to get the tires from Costco since it is very convenient and the price is cheaper than all other places. If I buy those tires online from tire rack or discount tire, the cost is going to be much higher after shipping and installation by local shops. Plus I don't like any of the local shops.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I'm planning to go to another Costco this evening that's near me and try there. Any advice on what I should say if they say the same thing?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Interesting. A few months back, my Costco in Atlanta was willing to put whatever I wanted on my car. The only reason I didn't go with them is Discount Tire put together a package at a much better price.
I am sure they are worried about liability but that seems over the top **** to me. Probably the produce manager got moved over to tires and doesn't really know what is reasonable from what is rediculous and just sticks with "the book"
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM

2014 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by C300Sport
Interesting. A few months back, my Costco in Atlanta was willing to put whatever I wanted on my car. The only reason I didn't go with them is Discount Tire put together a package at a much better price.
I am sure they are worried about liability but that seems over the top **** to me. Probably the produce manager got moved over to tires and doesn't really know what is reasonable from what is rediculous and just sticks with "the book"
Exactly. They were just going by the books and had no reasonable justification why it makes a difference having a staggered or non-staggered setup - especially since this is no where close to a muscle car.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E350
Costco sucks, BJ's wholesale club is the same way. They won't put anything but oem sizes on any car and won't budge on it. I say go to Discount tires Direct and order them online. They ship for free and are cheaper than Tire Rack. it's the ONLY place I buy tires. Then I take them to my local wheel shop and the mount and balance them for $20 a wheel.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:25 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Take it to a different costco. Their tire centers vary widely location to location. Even their product line differs location to location which I found kind of funny after chatting with their manager once how they stock more 17-18" in nicer neighborhood due to more nicer cars having larger size wheels while ones in lower end neighborhoods stock more 15-16" tires.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Tahoe LT, 07 Silverado Z71, 99 BMW R1100RT
Sucks, for sure, that you couldn't get the tires you wanted, but I do see the point from Costco's side, too.

The manager does not want to be liable for anything you might experience (unusual tire wear, unusual driving characteristics etc. etc.) and complain to them after putting something else than stock setup on there. I'm not saying you would necessarily do that, but I'm sure it has happened and in the end has cost Costco money. Hence sticking to the policy. No need to get upset with them.

Surely there's another Costco who would be willing to do that, so just shop around.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:41 AM

2014 E350 4Matic
I would have accepted it if they had said that this is their company policy.

It seems to vary from person to person. Two days ago when I went there to just check on price and availability, there was someone else who was ready to order these no questions asked.

I'm going to check out another Costco this evening and see how that goes. Otherwise I'll take the online route. It will be a little bit more hassle, plus I don't trust any local shop in my area.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by Cleanbenz
Costco sucks, BJ's wholesale club is the same way. They won't put anything but oem sizes on any car and won't budge on it. I say go to Discount tires Direct and order them online. They ship for free and are cheaper than Tire Rack. it's the ONLY place I buy tires. Then I take them to my local wheel shop and the mount and balance them for $20 a wheel.
dang, everybody always recommends tire rack... so you are saying both Discount tires direct online and costco are both cheaper than tire rack?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Mercedes C300
Last time I went to Costco for my tires, I ended up waiting 4 hours and they even forgot to call me to tell me they were finished. There are plenty of good local shops that take 40 minutes and cost $15 more.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
I get the almost all of my tires and wheels from Discount Tire Direct. They always are cheaper that the local Discount Tire, and they have free shipping. They can pretty much order any wheel you want, you just have to call and ask. Costco gave me some trouble when I wanted a different size tire on my Audi.