C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Transmission service done, but ........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by dave2001auto
It may take 3.5 hours, but most of the time is to allow the ATF to cool down for the final fluid level adjustment (45*C). No real labor involved (just bay-time if you don't move the car out to the parking lot).

If you ask for a sample of the original ATF and the expelled ATF from the fill adjustment that might ensure that it's done properly. Also there should be a charge for the TC drain plus with a gasket (about $5) and the right about of ATF (9 to 10 Qt - my mech said he did the cooler flush and TC with 6Qt but used 7Qt from the empty bottles). Likely he did not do the TC drain as he said he did. Also look and smell for leaks in the garage and on the under engine and transmission. Without a dipstick or removal of the under apron, it's hard to tell if it was done properly.

Do you have a 4 wheel drive for the transfer case?

Lots of issues with many brands of dealers not doing the service properly -- not doing the AT service, off-brand antifreeze, not bleeding the system to remove air, wrong antifreeze level, used part (used right seat belt instead of left sided) that was charged under warranty by Toyota dealers. The service department is the money maker for dealer's now. Not much profit margin from informed buyer in the new car sale due to the internet.
Yes, its a 4MATIC with a leaking transfer case. Luckily it's CPO with only 41,000 miles on it so it's covered. I'm thinking I should spend the additional $2,200 and get the additional 2 years/35,000 miles on the CPO.

Too many businesses are simply trying to game any system they can and get something for nothing. WHAT ever happened to honesty and integrity... ESPECIALLY from a company like Mercedes Benz.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am.

K
Old 08-29-2013, 08:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C63s Coupe 2016 C450 DAILY
Originally Posted by KCaudell
Yes, its a 4MATIC with a leaking transfer case. Luckily it's CPO with only 41,000 miles on it so it's covered. I'm thinking I should spend the additional $2,200 and get the additional 2 years/35,000 miles on the CPO.

Too many businesses are simply trying to game any system they can and get something for nothing. WHAT ever happened to honesty and integrity... ESPECIALLY from a company like Mercedes Benz.

K
I have had the same issue with my dealership . I ended up getting a newER C, in the end you have to be pushy with them, i ended up having to call HQ in germany to get MBUSA to budge. BTW for your command update did they charge you and what version is it as i feel mine is outdated?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:43 AM

2016 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Bosnia1992
I have had the same issue with my dealership . I ended up getting a newER C, in the end you have to be pushy with them, i ended up having to call HQ in germany to get MBUSA to budge. BTW for your command update did they charge you and what version is it as i feel mine is outdated?
Sadly, they did not complete the update. I have to take it back. I just don't think they wanted to do it the day I took it in as they have to have the car for a few days for the transfer case. I'm sure they want to do that at the same time.

The reason that I asked for the upgrade is the Nav system starts off in the metric system for 15 minutes or so before it gets to English units when you're navigating to a set location. I believe my version is 9.09.00 and current is something like 11.02.00.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec

K
How long is your CPO? is the 2y/35000 on current mileage of at the end of the 50,000 miles to extend to 85,000 miles? When are they offering it for $2200 and what deductible?

I am also disappointed at dealer and mercedes and many local dealers in billing but not doing the service (been a long term issue -- mfg sometimes wants the old part to prove the service was done). Most of the not done work is for the scheduled service on omitting ATF service, or other replacement parts/service. Lots of dealers and mechanics think that the owner will sell the car before the damage is noticed. I have just moved on from some bad characterized that charged and for parts when the service was not done. Too much time wasted in taking the car back.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:58 PM

2016 C300 4Matic Sport
It already has CPO to 100,000 so the extra 2 years takes it to 7 years after in-service date which takes me to mid 2017 and the additional 35,000 takes me to 135,000 miles.

Thoughts?

K
Old 08-31-2013, 03:04 PM

It already has CPO to 100,000 so the extra 2 years takes it to 7 years after in-service date which takes me to mid 2017 and the additional 35,000 takes me to 135,000 miles.

Thoughts?

K
Is that a MBZ dealer only extended warranty or any repair shop extended warranty and deductibles? Look to see what it covers or excludes. The water pump and other things will be breaking down. Does it cover those parts and service? If you have concerns about the proper care/maintenance of the transmission, and the warranty covers it, it likely a good deal. The deal sound too good.

How much is the transfer case repair costing? 4-wd usually have higher repairs than 2-wd. I would check to see it you are actually getting the coverage to 135,000 miles/2017 or just 2 years from now 2015/2013.

A dealer only extended warranty is partially to get you to use the Mercedes and high price service for non-covered services. The dealer wanted $2500 to $3500 (varing coverage and deductibles) to extend my used prior CPO 2009 e320 with 48000 miles for 2 years or x miles, which I passed (I don't drive much.) CPO on this one is to 50,000 miles or 4 years.

Last edited by dave2001auto; 09-01-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: CPO details.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2009 C350, 2015 S550
Had my transmission service a few months ago and they only did the 6 qts so not the whole 9. Is it too late to contact them and try to have them complete the service like they should
Old 09-20-2013, 05:45 PM

2016 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by dave2001auto
Is that a MBZ dealer only extended warranty or any repair shop extended warranty and deductibles? Look to see what it covers or excludes. The water pump and other things will be breaking down. Does it cover those parts and service? If you have concerns about the proper care/maintenance of the transmission, and the warranty covers it, it likely a good deal. The deal sound too good.

How much is the transfer case repair costing? 4-wd usually have higher repairs than 2-wd. I would check to see it you are actually getting the coverage to 135,000 miles/2017 or just 2 years from now 2015/2013.

A dealer only extended warranty is partially to get you to use the Mercedes and high price service for non-covered services. The dealer wanted $2500 to $3500 (varing coverage and deductibles) to extend my used prior CPO 2009 e320 with 48000 miles for 2 years or x miles, which I passed (I don't drive much.) CPO on this one is to 50,000 miles or 4 years.
It's the Mercedes CPO with $0 deductible. The car is currently in the shop and I have a 2013 loaner with HK/NAV. It turns out the transfer case needs to be replaced and this housing is part of the transmission so the entire assembly will be getting replaced. I'll pay nothing.

They can't figure out the NAV issue. When I use NAV to travel, stop, and resume NAV the system is in the metric system for about 10 minutes before it goes back to miles. I'm sure they tried updating the system as the first step, but I don't know for sure. All I know now is that they can't figure it out.

Hopefully soon! I'm heading to Piscataway on Monday and their car is going to sit at the airport for a week. I've already had theirs for a week on a repair that would take a "few days".

The initial transmission service was done with 6 units of fluid and when I called them on it they said "It takes 3 hours if it's done right". Hmmmm.... seems like an admission to me. My question is why they didn't "do it right" to begin with? Do you often do things half-assed? From a Mercedes Benz dealer I expect better. Fast Eddies Oil Change maybe, not a Benz dealer. Just sayin'.

That being said, so far though my experience has been positive. The SA has been accommodating.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:01 PM

It's the Mercedes CPO with $0 deductible. The car is currently in the shop and I have a 2013 loaner with HK/NAV. It turns out the transfer case needs to be replaced and this housing is part of the transmission so the entire assembly will be getting replaced. I'll pay nothing.

The initial transmission service was done with 6 units of fluid and when I called them on it they said "It takes 3 hours if it's done right". Hmmmm.... seems like an admission to me. My question is why they didn't "do it right" to begin with? Do you often do things half-assed? From a Mercedes Benz dealer I expect better. Fast Eddies Oil Change maybe, not a Benz dealer. Just sayin'.

That being said, so far though my experience has been positive. The SA has been accommodating.
Great deal on the extended warranty with $0 deductible! I can't get that good of a deal out west. Not even close. Is it a Mercedes USA or other brand ?

As for the tranny service ... trying to squeeze every dime out of the deal. Most MBZ on lease are not kept, so maintenance issue becomes someone else problems.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:10 AM

It's the Mercedes CPO with $0 deductible.

...The initial transmission service was done with 6 units of fluid and when I called them on it they said "It takes 3 hours if it's done right". Hmmmm.... seems like an admission to me. My question is why they didn't "do it right" to begin with? Do you often do things half-assed? From a Mercedes Benz dealer I expect better. Fast Eddies Oil Change maybe, not a Benz dealer. Just sayin'.

How much time does it take to do it wrong or or half assed?
How much time are they charging?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:33 PM

2010 c300
i have a 2010 c300 4matic do i need to transmission flush?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:32 PM

2016 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by svongsavanh
i have a 2010 c300 4matic do i need to transmission flush?
It depends on how many miles it's been since the last fluid change. You didn't mention how many miles are on your car nor how long/miles since the last change.

K
Old 10-02-2013, 05:43 PM

2016 C300 4Matic Sport

They can't figure out the NAV issue. When I use NAV to travel, stop, and resume NAV the system is in the metric system for about 10 minutes before it goes back to miles. I'm sure they tried updating the system as the first step, but I don't know for sure. All I know now is that they can't figure it out.

Hopefully soon! I'm heading to Piscataway on Monday and their car is going to sit at the airport for a week. I've already had theirs for a week on a repair that would take a "few days".

Update: My car is still in the shop now almost two weeks later. SA said they're working on it. The rebuilt transmission/transfer case is in but seems they're still "working on it". The NAV issue seems to have stumped them. No answers there.

The good news is I have an almost loaded 2013 monkey sh*t brown C300/4Matic. It's a terrible color. Just my opinion. Sorry if you own it, I mean no disrespect. The HK system is great though. The sub woofer is really well balanced. The only thing it lacks is the very lowest of frequencies (< 50Hz). The driver in the trunk is just too small to move enough air to get a good "kick".

Anyone else have any experience with a factory rebuilt transmission?

Thanks.

K
Old 10-02-2013, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
I wonder if an infinite baffle subwoofer in a C300 would work?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:46 PM

2010 c300
im not sure when the fluids were last changed as I just bought the car but it hit 40k miles earlier this week
Old 10-03-2013, 03:01 PM

2018 GLC300 4Matic- White
Hi guys,

My transmission is 722.964 and did the transmission flush last week. the Dealer only used 5.5L and when checked with them, they said it does NOT have TC drain plug. I was referring to the WIS and they still stay it does NOT have the plug and willing to lift the car and show it to me. As I have no clue of where to look for the drain plug, can someone help me where to look for it under the car? Will the dealer remove a panel and then show?

Anyone has done this with the dealer?

Any help is appreciated. I may not take the car immediately, but may do so in the next service.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:33 PM

2016 C300 4Matic Sport
IB Sub

Originally Posted by JimPap
I wonder if an infinite baffle subwoofer in a C300 would work?
In a house, the baffle isn't really a baffle as we know it, it's open air sealed from the listening room. Correct?

I have a sealed sub enclosure in my C300 in the trunk. What would the difference be here?would the enclosure serve and the IB although it's really not infinite but it is sealed from the listening area.

A-Bill.... are you catching this one? We need your expertise.

K
Old 10-03-2013, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by macsp
Hi guys,

My transmission is 722.964 and did the transmission flush last week. the Dealer only used 5.5L and when checked with them, they said it does NOT have TC drain plug. I was referring to the WIS and they still stay it does NOT have the plug and willing to lift the car and show it to me. As I have no clue of where to look for the drain plug, can someone help me where to look for it under the car? Will the dealer remove a panel and then show?

Anyone has done this with the dealer?

Any help is appreciated. I may not take the car immediately, but may do so in the next service.
Hello Mac,

To view whether my torque convertor has a drain plug on a 5 speed auto & it should not be different, the cover is removed & the torque convertor inspection hole located which is forward of the gearbox. Mine is covered by large rubber plug. Removing this plug shows the bottom of the TC. The engine will need to be rotated by turning the crankshaft with a spanner to view all around the TC. If there is a drain plug it should be seen easily.

I am confused by your "flush" wording . Correct me if I am wrong but here are the 3 options of changing the atm oil.

1. Drain out what is in the pan ie your 5.5 litres ,remove pan & change filter

2. Drain out the pan + drain the Torque convertor if it has a drain plug ie 9 litres or so,remove pan & change filter.

3. Drain the pan & if the T/C has no drain then flush the whole transmission system. Mine uses about 15 litres. Check out the process in this sites search engine.

JC
Old 10-03-2013, 05:32 PM

2018 GLC300 4Matic- White
Originally Posted by Carsy
Hello Mac,

To view whether my torque convertor has a drain plug on a 5 speed auto & it should not be different, the cover is removed & the torque convertor inspection hole located which is forward of the gearbox. Mine is covered by large rubber plug. Removing this plug shows the bottom of the TC. The engine will need to be rotated by turning the crankshaft with a spanner to view all around the TC. If there is a drain plug it should be seen easily.

I am confused by your "flush" wording . Correct me if I am wrong but here are the 3 options of changing the atm oil.

1. Drain out what is in the pan ie your 5.5 litres ,remove pan & change filter

2. Drain out the pan + drain the Torque convertor if it has a drain plug ie 9 litres or so,remove pan & change filter.

3. Drain the pan & if the T/C has no drain then flush the whole transmission system. Mine uses about 15 litres. Check out the process in this sites search engine.

JC
Thank you. I am not a techie, but #1 seems to be what was done to my car and I am pushing them to do #2 now if it has TC drain plug. Otherwise I will ask about #3.

I just want to make sure I am shown the correct parts.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:59 AM

2005 C 320 CDI
No TC Drain plug on 722.9 gearbox

Hi Guys,
I recently serviced my gearbox as detailed by the above post from Glynn (thanks so much for the info), but I could not find the Drain Plug on the TC. I rotated the engine several times but could not find the drain plug. It looked like there was ex rectangular plate welded over the spot where the drain plug should be. Is this possible or am I doing something wrong?

If this is correct how do I go about replacing all the fluid?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by dennisfaul
Hi Guys,
I recently serviced my gearbox as detailed by the above post from Glynn (thanks so much for the info), but I could not find the Drain Plug on the TC. I rotated the engine several times but could not find the drain plug. It looked like there was ex rectangular plate welded over the spot where the drain plug should be. Is this possible or am I doing something wrong?

If this is correct how do I go about replacing all the fluid?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Check out the Wiki tab at the top of the w204 page .Tons of good info.

https://mbworld.org/wiki/images/f/f1...nflush2-1-.pdf
Old 10-24-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 400E
I'm floored by the information in this thread.

I've been a Mercedes technician since 1982 and I can tell you if
the converter has a drain plug, we drain it.

If your dealer tells you it's not required they are full of it.

I just read the WIS instructions (current) and step 6 is there.

At the end of the instructions they show the torque spec for the drain plug.
Note at the top, just oil and filter change, no extra request for converter.

Transmission service done, but ........-torqueconverter001_zps600ca88d.jpg

Last edited by clarkz71; 10-24-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by clarkz71

The local MBZ dealer says they use 5 qts of ATF, so they don't drain the TC regardless of a TC drain plus. I expect more for $400 ! At least doing it correctly.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 180 Likes on 146 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by clarkz71

Indeed! ~ I'm floored too. It seems many US dealers simply ignore the WIS & still charge a bucket for the service.

In SA they do the service properly including draining the TC and it's on their ticket because the cars are sold with a Mobilodrive plan.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 400E
Glyn, check your PM's

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission service done, but ........