MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Insurance question (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/446272-insurance-question.html)

aerove26 05-04-2012 05:12 PM

Insurance question

Hey Guys, I have been with geico for over two years now . bought my c300 in feb last year, new. So the deal is i turn 25 this month so i started shopping for insurance quotes and wanted to know what you guys think.

I'm currently with geico and i pay about 850 for every 6 months, with a $500 collision and $1000 comprehensive coverage. However, I have no tickets and i have taken a defensive driver course a couple of months back.

So i got a quote from nationwide today and they came upto about $400 for every 6months with a $500 collision and comprehensive . I have no idea about nationwide and are they a preferred:) insurance company ? would be glad if you guys could chip in.

The nationwide quote also gives a 50k/100k uninsured coverage etc.

TexFinn 05-04-2012 08:28 PM

No experience about Nationwide, but damn I hate their stupid jingle in their ads! :X:X:X

:rant:

C300CA 05-04-2012 08:40 PM

I am with Ameriprise through Costco. I am happy with them. I am an executive Costco member so I get 24/7 roadside service included for free. Therefore I have two roadside services now.

ZeroSeVen 05-05-2012 01:39 AM

Check out online quotes for Progressive and Esurance... compare apples to apples.

Check with your local insurance agents if they can beat the online quotes.

Another thing you can do to reduce your premiums is increase your deductible to $1000.

I can still remember how expensive car insurance was when I was still under 25 years of age.

dfordham 05-05-2012 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by aerove26 (Post 5180171)
Hey Guys, I have been with geico for over two years now . bought my c300 in feb last year, new. So the deal is i turn 25 this month so i started shopping for insurance quotes and wanted to know what you guys think.

I'm currently with geico and i pay about 850 for every 6 months, with a $500 collision and $1000 comprehensive coverage. However, I have no tickets and i have taken a defensive driver course a couple of months back.

So i got a quote from nationwide today and they came upto about $400 for every 6months with a $500 collision and comprehensive . I have no idea about nationwide and are they a preferred:) insurance company ? would be glad if you guys could chip in.

The nationwide quote also gives a 50k/100k uninsured coverage etc.

Won't you get an automatic reduction from GEICO when you turn 25? See how that compares.

Regards,
Don

jetflyboy 05-05-2012 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by TexFinn (Post 5180421)
No experience about Nationwide, but damn I hate their stupid jingle in their ads! :X:X:X

:rant:

lol. I agree on both thoughts.

I am with State Farm, but I get a much reduced rate because I have another car with them plus my house and no tickets in 7 years. Consider that I have an 09, mine is about $580 every six months with full coverage and $500 collision and $1000 comp.

aerove26 05-05-2012 06:17 PM

Hey guys, so geico went down from 850 to about 775. Progressive offered 670. and nationwide was around 420.

Also, with nationwide i had bumped up all coverages by twice and had a 500 deductible for both collision and comprehensive.

I talked to a local statefarm agent, and she seemed like she wasn't able to calulate taking my age as 25( like give a quote before i turn 25) and she came up with 900 every months. I might as well try talking to another agent and see what they say.

dfordham 05-05-2012 06:54 PM

If you are satisfied that the policies are comparable, don't be afraid of going with Nationwide. They are a large, reputable company in business since 1925.

Regards,
Don

Stevedotmil 05-06-2012 12:07 AM

I have USAA but then again I'm 36. Good luck in your search. I remember those days. Remember that you get what you pay for when it comes to insurance. At least you aren't moving to Germany and your minimum bodily injury coverage has to be 1,000,000.00 Euro. 2 cars, full coverage, from 110/month - 316/month. Have fun.

C300Sport 05-06-2012 07:51 AM

Insurance underwriters use mystical algorithms to calculate their risk/benefit of taking on a customer. Age, sex, zip code, driving record, credit report, miles driven per year, etc, etc all have a bearing on what the computer spits out.
I have found over the years that it pays to check on rates from time to time as an insurer that once was head and shoulders above the rest will slip to mid-pack or worse in a couple years.
I don't change insurers for small differences as you often get perks for staying on with a company for a while but will change over for significant savings.
I also doubt that shopping between different agents from the same underwriter will help much. Trying an independent agent that represents several underwriters may help as they can put in your info and cherry pick the best results from many choices.

aerove26 05-06-2012 05:30 PM

Thanks guys, i'll try finding an independent agent and see what they suggest.