C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Anyone running with a dash cam?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Anyone running with a dash cam?

The drivers in Atlanta, as with most of the States, are pretty pathetic. I have had a couple of friends in the last three months get screwed over due to "partial fault" in an accident. Basically, the officer thinks the other driver was 99% at fault but since there is no proof of exactly what happened, they give the at fault driver a little break.
What this ends up doing is causing your insurance to have to pay for damage that is totally someone else's fault and opens you up to further liability down the road.
Anyhow, I am thinking of getting a cam to have video proof of fault which could save me tons in insurance premiums, deductables and even be used to defend or prosecute in court.
Anyone have any experience with them?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 c350 sport
There are many option for a dash cam. You can even use you phone if you buy a mount for it. It really depend on what you want and how much you are willing to spent. I have a go pro hd2. It hold the cam in place pretty well and can be place in the car almost everywhere, from the back window, sunroof, driver side window, passenger side window, or the front windsheild. You can also have it on the outside of the car but you risk the chance of it falling off due to the speed and if the area you put it on easing clean in the benginning. I also have the LCD bacpac so than I can play back the video whenever I want, I think this is great when you have to show the cop what happened!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:47 AM

2009 C300 4Matic with Keyless Go
I got mine at carcamerdirect.com. Note that the website says they are in Florida but the camera actually ships from China.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:00 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC™ Sedan
$30 something on ebay from china.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by japok_den
I got mine at carcamerdirect.com. Note that the website says they are in Florida but the camera actually ships from China.
Hey Japok,

How does the camera handle vibrations and bumps?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
I got a goPro, and am going to use it in car also -- other than my sporting adventures. Anyone else here use one, and if so where is the best spot to mount it?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:32 PM

2011 C300
C300Sport, tell me about the traffic! I was going downtown from where i live via 285 , almost got swiped five times in a half hour period! wtf is with people here! especially if they see you changing lanes, they just speed up and cut you off.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:25 PM

2008 c350 sport
Originally Posted by Iknownothing
I got a goPro, and am going to use it in car also -- other than my sporting adventures. Anyone else here use one, and if so where is the best spot to mount it?
Depend on what you want to catch with the cam ... What I want to do is have two go pro .. mount them both in the rear window sheild, one facing the front and the other your rear ftoward the bumper.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:40 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Something like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FRC7RO2tOJQ

I'm debating on whether I should get a dash cam as well after seeing this.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:02 PM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by Domm
Something like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FRC7RO2tOJQ

I'm debating on whether I should get a dash cam as well after seeing this.
Looks like thats from russia, i don't think they follow the same routine like here , to call the cops first so i guess it makes sense to tape everything.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:14 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Russia or not, cops find it hard to believe that someone would suddenly throw the car into reverse. That lady looked like she was more than ready to lie about throwing the car in reverse and blame the person in the back, which would more than likely apply in the US because some people just have no moral value.

Speaking from experience, just yesterday my girlfriend's aunt got hit by a car while crossing at a crosswalk and the person just drove off. Thankfully, she only had scraps, bruises, and a strained neck.

Another time, we were at Reno and were in a spot designated as an area to remove snow chains. Suddenly, the snow plows, whom we assumed would just drove around us, came within 1 foot of us before turning onto the main road and hitting us with compact snowing moving more than 40 mph, leaving giant dents in our trunk and shifting our van a few inches. We were only 3 feet from the impact and it was more than enough force to seriously injure, if not kill, us. We reported it in caltran, but we did not get an insurance claim because there was not enough "proof". Cops or not, your own recollection is not enough. People in this world lie and ruin it for the few people who tell the truth. I apologize for getting so personal but these situations have hit a bad nerve with me.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 PM

2009 C300 4Matic with Keyless Go
Originally Posted by jl9j
Hey Japok,

How does the camera handle vibrations and bumps?

@jl9j, vibrations caused by small bumps are not a problem. The video clips are smooth considering the roads up here in downtown Toronto are not smooth at all.

Scams like the link posted where the woman backed up her SUV has happended here in Toronto as well - this is the reason why I installed one.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 PM

2011 C300
Russia or not, cops find it hard to believe that someone would suddenly throw the car into reverse. That lady looked like she was more than ready to lie about throwing the car in reverse and blame the person in the back, which would more than likely apply in the US because some people just have no moral value.

Speaking from experience, just yesterday my girlfriend's aunt got hit by a car while crossing at a crosswalk and the person just drove off. Thankfully, she only had scraps, bruises, and a strained neck.

Another time, we were at Reno and were in a spot designated as an area to remove snow chains. Suddenly, the snow plows, whom we assumed would just drove around us, came within 1 foot of us before turning onto the main road and hitting us with compact snowing moving more than 40 mph, leaving giant dents in our trunk and shifting our van a few inches. We were only 3 feet from the impact and it was more than enough force to seriously injure, if not kill, us. We reported it in caltran, but we did not get an insurance claim because there was not enough "proof". Cops or not, your own recollection is not enough. People in this world lie and ruin it for the few people who tell the truth. I apologize for getting so personal but these situations have hit a bad nerve with me.

Damn hope your aunt gets better soon!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 PM

audi
I got mine at carcamerdirect.com.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are these legal to use in all/most places? I remember seeing some stories about people being arrested for taping police during traffic stops, given that this cam is permanently on/taping.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 AM

'08 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by aerove26
Damn hope your aunt gets better soon!
Well, it was my girlfriend's aunt but I still consider her family. Thanks for the wishes The needles they put in her for the IV actually made her more uncomfortable than the accident.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
this would be good to have during service visits too........

"yes, just so you know, you're being watched as you work on my car"

"you F*CK it up, and I'll know"

Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by aerove26
wtf is with people here! especially if they see you changing lanes, they just speed up and cut you off.
I always love it when I try to be courteous and signal just prior to changing lanes and have some a-hole floor it to try to close the gap just because they don't want someone to get in front of them...sad to see so many rude, inconsiderate and simply spaced out drivers around here.
It looks like the GoPro is one of the best performing cameras but a little big and clunky for what I had in mind. I will keep learning a bit more about them and hope I don't have an incedent in the interim.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:52 PM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by C300Sport
I always love it when I try to be courteous and signal just prior to changing lanes and have some a-hole floor it to try to close the gap just because they don't want someone to get in front of them...sad to see so many rude, inconsiderate and simply spaced out drivers around here.
It looks like the GoPro is one of the best performing cameras but a little big and clunky for what I had in mind. I will keep learning a bit more about them and hope I don't have an incedent in the interim.
here's another one, when you are stuck on either 85 or 75 and try to maintain a gap to the car in front....only, some lunatic (i think lunacy is the norm :P ) ends up trying to squeeze in!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 AM

2008 C300 4-Matic Sport
Originally Posted by japok_den

These exact same cameras are on ebay for less than half the price of this website..just bought the newer model for $26 shipped.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
I have this one in mine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-150-deg...item256b406c83

Works well, picks up my exhaust nicely with the windows down
Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
would you really need two?? I think one in the front should be enough right?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM

2012 C250 Sports Sedan, 2006 AMG E55

Hahaha, you saying that the moral fiber is higher in Russia than the US ? LOL Embassy duty in Moscow for two years, not a chance there.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by StuttgartUSA
Hahaha, you saying that the moral fiber is higher in Russia than the US ? LOL Embassy duty in Moscow for two years, not a chance there.
Hahaha thanks for the insight. I've never been to Russia so my experience with idiocy/moral value pertains solely in the "good ole' US of A". Not sure why I was trying to sound like a Southern red neck since i'm a city guy and, well, asian.