MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Your favorite Car care products (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/450743-your-favorite-car-care-products.html)

Sommy 06-07-2012 07:25 AM

Your favorite Car care products

I'm going to be a proud owner of C350 on Saturday and am really looking forward to it. I'm wondering what sort of washes, waxes, tire dressing, etc. that you all have had success with over the years. I've used a lot and am always looking for something new.

I'm confused these days about paint sealant. With this being a new car I wanted to protect it right from the start. I've read that some people use a paint sealer and then a wax after that to get max protection and shine. Is that best? Do I have the steps right? Do you all recommend the two products in tandem?

StuttgartUSA 06-07-2012 08:10 AM

I love Dodo Juice for wax

Cleanbenz 06-07-2012 09:29 AM

Griots garage products for the most part but HD UNO and HD polish for paint correction.

Stevedotmil 06-07-2012 11:48 AM

I use Meguire's Mirror Finish line for paint correction, sealer, and wax. DA Porter Cable of course. Go to AutoGeek dot net and watch all the videos on there then read. There are some good specials that they run on there as well.

Sommy 06-07-2012 12:01 PM

Has anyone tried using a seperate sealer, followed by a carnuba wax? Sounds like that is what AutoGeeks.com says to do for the best shine. Just curious on real-world experiences.

savi01 06-07-2012 05:52 PM

Adam's Products. Great customer service, 110% guarantee.

www.adamspolishes.com
www.adamsforums.com

Sportstick 06-07-2012 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by savi01 (Post 5231250)

www.adamspolishes.com
www.adamsforums.com

+1 for Adam's, but I found another wax through a recommendation by AZN300 which has worked very well and seems quite durable....Collinite 845, actually described as Insulator Wax, but works extremely well, on/off easily, and very slick results.

MBRedux 06-07-2012 07:15 PM

This is my secret ingredient. An old friend who restores cars for collectors and auction houses, such as Barrett Jackson, turned me on to this stuff. Pure 3M Brand Silicone Spray. It must be this product, do not accept substitutes that contain petroleum distillates. There are look-alikes, even by 3M, so beware. This stuff is so pure, it's approved by the FDA to lubricate food processing machinery, thus edible. A light coat on all your exterior window/sunroof rubber, plastic, weather stripping, seals etc etc. before washing the car, restores and re-nourishes the rubber to like new condition. The faded looking rubber simply comes back to life! It keeps the rubber from drying out and cracking. You can apply it safely to anything you wish, since it will not harm paint, glass or other plastics. (although it serves no purpose to waste it on paint, glass etc.) Just remember not to get it on your brakes, seating surfaces or foot peddles. It does make things very slippery. I use it on all our engines as well, on the rubber and plastic components, but even on steel and aluminum since it protects from rust and corrosion too! Ever see engine parts that are made of aluminum that are covered in a white powder? That's corrosion. This product will remove it and help eliminate it from ever forming. It's not cheap... about $12-$15 a can! :y

Link: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...-moldings.html

http://tnkmarine.com/media/catalog/p...57849303_1.jpg

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...glB1DN9XPX82bl

Glyn M Ruck 06-07-2012 09:59 PM

Maguiar's, Autoglym, AutoArmor (long-term polymer sealant), Gliptone Leathercare UK products.

RLE 06-08-2012 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by StuttgartUSA (Post 5230397)
I love Dodo Juice for wax

So, you own a Dodo squeezer then?

RLE 06-08-2012 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sommy (Post 5230378)
I'm going to be a proud owner of C350 on Saturday and am really looking forward to it. I'm wondering what sort of washes, waxes, tire dressing, etc. that you all have had success with over the years. I've used a lot and am always looking for something new.

I'm confused these days about paint sealant. With this being a new car I wanted to protect it right from the start. I've read that some people use a paint sealer and then a wax after that to get max protection and shine. Is that best? Do I have the steps right? Do you all recommend the two products in tandem?

Since you will starting out with a new car, now is the time to protect the finish and continue doing so. You do not have to polish the paint at this point.

Just two weeks ago my Porsche won yet another Concours 1st in class and I haven't polished it in ten years.

Starting with a perfectly clean finish:

My prep consists of applying Griot's Speed Shine (a detailing spray) liberally with a spray bottle, in sections, and wiping it off with soft absorbent cloths. I use used receiving blankets and microfiber cloths and when you are finished it will be clean and smooth.

I then take a small folded square of used toweling and apply paint sealer which goes on like water. I'm using Menzerna FMJ (from Germany) but there are other brands. After it dries (it does not streak, BTW) I simply wipe it off with more microfiber cloths. You may wax over this, and I have, but just the sealer will bead water for more than six months.

The paint on the car is unbelievably slick and shiny and the best thing is that it's very easy. I can do the entire car in an easy two hours.

RickP330 06-08-2012 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by savi01 (Post 5231250)

www.adamspolishes.com
www.adamsforums.com

I am also a fan, expensive but worth it.
RP

StuttgartUSA 06-08-2012 02:37 PM

Though expensive Dodo Juiced cars have one more award shows than any other brand. I like Adams also but spend the little extra money and get a little bit more of a shine.

savi01 06-08-2012 04:36 PM

Whichever brand you decide to go with, be sure to do a lot of research into the proper caring for your new car. Autogeek has videos which show you how to properly care for your car, but I like Adam's videos a bit better; they're more easy to understand for someone new to the detailing world.

Also, I would recommend get a machine to help you get that perfect shine. Porter Cable 7424xp is a must have, as well as a Flex.

Thaa kiid Jlee 06-08-2012 05:06 PM

i recently ordered a bunch of adams stuff due to good reviews. before i used local autozone stuff. For a polisher i never had a porter cable or flex, i use a griots because detailerdomain recommended it and thats the only they had in person haha!

lovew204 06-08-2012 08:25 PM

SONAX - GERMANY

Cleanbenz 06-08-2012 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Thaa kiid Jlee (Post 5232783)
i recently ordered a bunch of adams stuff due to good reviews. before i used local autozone stuff. For a polisher i never had a porter cable or flex, i use a griots because detailerdomain recommended it and thats the only they had in person haha!

The Griots DA is by far the best on the market. I dumped my porter cable for it and never looked back.

Thaa kiid Jlee 06-09-2012 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cleanbenz (Post 5233125)
The Griots DA is by far the best on the market. I dumped my porter cable for it and never looked back.

thanks for the re assurance ! because i was really hesitant to buy it at first because everyone said get the portercable

AZN Optics 06-09-2012 11:21 AM

Sealant then topped with wax. My current goto combo is Blackfire Wet Diamond, topped with Wolfgang Fuzion.

Personally, I think Flex is the best DA on the market (having used PC, Griot, Megs, and Flex DAs), but the difference isn't much and it all comes down to technique.

savi01 06-09-2012 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by AZN Optics (Post 5233495)
Personally, I think Flex is the best DA on the market (having used PC, Griot, Megs, and Flex DAs), but the difference isn't much and it all comes down to technique.

Yup, biggest factor right there; technique.

MacGyver21 06-09-2012 10:05 PM

I like using The Chemical Guys line of products...

Royce118 06-09-2012 10:42 PM

I'm loving my Swissvax Shield wax, topped with Swissvax Nanoexpress finish.