C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

For those of you that have change out the steering wheel

Old 06-15-2012, 08:48 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
C300, 93tt RX7, 88RX7 Vet, 83RX7
For those of you that have change out the steering wheel

I have a new steering wheel coming soon and wanted to ask, how was it to take out the old one? I never done one with an airbag and wanted to know the prose to do it. Any special tools need it? Let me know what you guys can, I don’t want a smartass remark to do the search……..lol any help with be nice
Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Frnakito71
I have a new steering wheel coming soon and wanted to ask, how was it to take out the old one? I never done one with an airbag and wanted to know the prose to do it. Any special tools need it? Let me know what you guys can, I don’t want a smartass remark to do the search……..lol any help with be nice
I did not do it myself, but stood and watched. The actual swap is under five minutes, literally, given the proper tools. Old one off...new one on. Sorry, I don't know the actual tools but it all happened very quickly and it was a couple of years ago. The reason I am still writing although that info is not of much use is that removing the airbag created an error code which had to be removed. My indy tech used their laptop to connect and eliminate the code. I have read that if you disconnect the battery first, so that the car is "in coma" while the bag is disconnected, it does not experience the error. Perhaps others can chime in with more detail on the mechanical part.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sportstick
I did not do it myself, but stood and watched. The actual swap is under five minutes, literally, given the proper tools. Old one off...new one on. Sorry, I don't know the actual tools but it all happened very quickly and it was a couple of years ago. The reason I am still writing although that info is not of much use is that removing the airbag created an error code which had to be removed. My indy tech used their laptop to connect and eliminate the code. I have read that if you disconnect the battery first, so that the car is "in coma" while the bag is disconnected, it does not experience the error. Perhaps others can chime in with more detail on the mechanical part.

Thank you for the info Sportstick! I may just take it to my indi shop....
Old 06-15-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport
Read this thread:

http://forms.mbworld.org/forums/c-cl...ere-still.html
Old 06-15-2012, 01:10 PM

Thanks gaymondy!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Actually, you should always disconnect the battery when handling an airbag.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by 2012c350
Actually, you should always disconnect the battery when handling an airbag.
I disconnected the battery, no error code.... make sure u disconnect battery first.... also for safety reasons...

You need a torx wrench to get off the airbag, then once you get off the air bag and disconnect the electrical connections to the air bag, you need an extended socket wrench with a hex bit on the end... there is one big bolt... you will see it....

I could not break loose with a normal socket wrench for fear of breaking my steering column, so I connected my air ratchet and quickly broke loose the bolt with one quick pulse.... the bolt is on there extremely tight so u will see what I mean...

after that, the wheel comes off and you can just remove the wheel and put on the new one.... MAKE SURE you align the wheel the same way it came off, and match the teeth up perfect, or else your new wheel will be off center...

Dont quote me on any of this, as it is off the top of my head 2 years later... but if you search, most of the above can be verified and its not that really hard of an install if you have the right tools...