MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   2008 C300 won't start (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/452229-2008-c300-wont-start.html)

Genel 04-03-2013 08:05 PM

Happy to report that mbusa has agreed to pick up the tab on my part, but labor is on me. Dealer wants $870 for labor, but German Auto Repair quoted $490. I can live with this resolution...

shanavinastokes 04-16-2013 03:54 PM

I am having the same issue with my 2009 C300 sport 88k miles. MB dealership is saying it is the EIS/electronic steering lock. They quoted me $1086 to repair.

aznmode 04-17-2013 02:57 PM

I'm hoping I'm not having this issue on my 2010 c300 but a few times my car wouldnt start. But I just removed the key, waited a second and tried again and it started. There does seem to be a lag from when I turn the key and the car starting so I'm not sure if that's something to be worried about. I think an extended warranty will be in order just in case....

Genel 04-17-2013 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by shanavinastokes (Post 5615704)
I am having the same issue with my 2009 C300 sport 88k miles. MB dealership is saying it is the EIS/electronic steering lock. They quoted me $1086 to repair.

I would DEFINITELY contact mbusa immediately. My case manager (Andrew) was extremely receptive and I challenged him to visit these forums or do a basic Internet search on this reoccurring problem in 2009 c-300. Mercedes owners should NOT have to worry if their car is going to start or not. Within two days, I received a call from my dealer that mbusa agreed to treat this as if I had a warranty. My total out of pocket was $350. I was originally quoted over $1300, so I was very pleased with the outcome. It also comes with a two year warranty.

acharm 04-18-2013 04:16 PM

Just called Sovereign Mercedes in Bklyn

They told me there was no recall/campaign for this-but there was another recall for the seal because it was leaking oil?? My car had the same issue as you all are describing but I had it fixed by a local mechanic Grrrrrr would have liked to save the $$:smash:

tasho3 05-04-2013 07:11 PM

Sitting in a store parking lot right now. Seems like I have same issue with the lock! Never had this problem before but there seems to be power, head up display works fine, powere folding mirrors work fine but when I turn the key nothing happens. I hear a tik but that bout it! Steering wheel is locked as well!

Domm 05-04-2013 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by tasho3 (Post 5636414)
Sitting I'm a store parking lot right now. Seems like I have same issue with the lock! Never had this problem before but there seems to be power, head up display works fine, powere folding mirrors work fine but when I turn the key nothing happens. I hear a tik but that bout it! Steering wheel is locked as well!

It could be a dead battery. I replaced the battery about a month ago in my 2008.

LILBENZ230 05-15-2013 12:30 PM

My 2011 (14,400 miles) did not start on the first try this morning. Turned the key, the wheel unlocked and all lights came on.. would not trigger starter. Second time it worked. Will have dealer document. Damn I thought they'd have this straight by 2011.

aznmode 05-15-2013 07:37 PM

Is there any way dealer can tell if it's about to go out? My car is at the dealer now for strut tsb. The issue happened 2x on me already. But always 2nd attempt to restart always works.

EDIT: Found my answer on post 10. I guess I just needed to reread the thread again. It's too bad that they cant but I will definitely record it next time it happens so I have proof.

Bullmahimahi 07-13-2013 06:44 PM

Broke down 250 miles from home!

Of course it happens on a trip, love this car, never had a problem but damn I hate not being able to trust a car! Local foreign auto would not touch it, had to tow it 50 miles ($200) to Gainesville MB dealer. They diagnosed ESL, but of course don't have and it's a weekend! I had to get a ride home and now have to get someone to bring me back, not good! I've been in aviation maintenance my whole life, MB is aware of this problem and should make it right!

mjwilliams 07-15-2013 01:59 PM

Well, I just heard back from MB company and they said that due to the fact that I have over 70,000 miles on the car, they said they wont provide any assistance with the repairs. So I have to absorb the $950. It's rather said that they choose to do nothing, but that's how it goes sometimes. I was planning on buying another Mercedes within the next year, but after this, I'll probably go with a different high end car company. Hope this helps.

joermed 08-12-2013 08:34 PM

Just happened to my 2008 C300

same issues as above...

-Car battery is only one week old.
-Changed batteries in Smart key

Went to start, turned key and nothing happened. NO noises, only dash lights.

Called MBUSA and they are towing tomorrow at no cost to authorized dealer. I voiced my concern with how many post I had seen over the same issue and they asked "are you called to ask for help with repair cost" I told them of course I was that its an obvious problem with the product they are advertising to be a quality, the best, etc.. She said "we have to wait to have it tested first before we can talk discuss any option". She again verified the milage asking "is the milage under 70k" to which responded yes. Ill update when I hear back from the authorized dealer. Wish me luck!

ImageX 10-05-2013 05:10 AM

man this just happened to me too.. If i got extended warranty it should be covered regardless correct??

ncglock 10-05-2013 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by ImageX (Post 5800678)
man this just happened to me too.. If i got extended warranty it should be covered regardless correct??

The warranty covered mine

reidly 10-15-2013 01:12 PM

No Luck from MBUSA

I had this happen to my 2008 C300 back in 11/2012 and I had to have the car towed to the dealership. The total cost was just over $1,000 and was not covered under warranty (vehicle had 57,000 miles on it). After following this thread for some time and continually seeing new instances of this happening to other people, I decided to call MBUSA today to see if I could get my case reviewed. They called me back within a couple of hours and said that there is no recall or service bulletin on this issue, but if there ever was one issued, they would let me know and would reimburse the costs I incurred. I mentioned that there were some people on this forum who got the repairs handled outside of the warranty, either in full or in part, but MBUSA said that would need to be discussed with the local dealer and a decision made by the Service Manager. This contradicts some of what others have said where they were successful in getting it covered directly by MBUSA. So I guess I am out the $1,000, but at least I know I tried to get it reimbursed. I hope others have better luck.

ncglock 10-15-2013 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by reidly (Post 5811042)
I had this happen to my 2008 C300 back in 11/2012 and I had to have the car towed to the dealership. The total cost was just over $1,000 and was not covered under warranty (vehicle had 57,000 miles on it). After following this thread for some time and continually seeing new instances of this happening to other people, I decided to call MBUSA today to see if I could get my case reviewed. They called me back within a couple of hours and said that there is no recall or service bulletin on this issue, but if there ever was one issued, they would let me know and would reimburse the costs I incurred. I mentioned that there were some people on this forum who got the repairs handled outside of the warranty, either in full or in part, but MBUSA said that would need to be discussed with the local dealer and a decision made by the Service Manager. This contradicts some of what others have said where they were successful in getting it covered directly by MBUSA. So I guess I am out the $1,000, but at least I know I tried to get it reimbursed. I hope others have better luck.

Mine was under warranty, although it was the extended warranty.

Tiziano 10-20-2013 10:43 AM

I have an '09 C300 with 71k miles on it. Just last week I had the EIS failure. Total cost was $1,118.00. Funny thing is the part only costs $283.00 the rest, as you all may know, is the labor costs. On the positive side, it only took 2 days for the dealer to get the part and install it.

kurt_werder 10-25-2013 09:23 PM

2008 C350 ignition switch problem/fix

I had the same problem key entry worked (doors, radio, etc. all worked), but no idiot lights or dash navigation -- car wouldn't start. service manager told me to jiggle the key and steering wheel. Still no good. I unlocked the telescoping steering wheel and slammed it in an out a few times -- then it started. MB elegance at it's finest.....

hustlegang 11-03-2013 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bechul (Post 5443871)
Ah i see, they fixed mine under the camshaft solenoid recall, whatever they did it fixed it all and was also under my CPA warranty.

seems like i need to get a extended warranty because this has happened twice to me...

TheDocUSA 11-03-2013 06:37 PM

Hope this doesnt happen as much on the 09 model

hustlegang 11-03-2013 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by JBailey (Post 5252269)
Turns out I have a bad electronic steering lock, or at least that's what they think it is. So it's getting replaced at $925 and hopefully that fixes it.

JBailey, did that fix your problem? I think i may have experienced the same issue 3 days ago....

c4933752e 11-04-2013 02:42 PM

MB C 300 2008 won't start

Same thing just happened to me , I stay in nigeria what are my options?

charles.soori 11-12-2013 11:21 PM

I'm having the same problem error code
A25464 Electric steering lock has a malfunction. There is an implausible signal.
Do you guys think after replacing the steering lock my car would start or i would have to replace the whole EIS. My symptoms Steering unlocked and no response from the key when i turn it.
Steering lock is $365
Eis is $780
i'll rather start with the cheaper $.
Any help will be great and if anyone knows how to start the car temporary so i can move it that would be great as i have the Star Program and DAS.

docinact 11-20-2013 01:38 AM

I have a 2009 c300 with 20000 miles on it. It won't start. Had to have it jumpstarted every morning and every afternoon by road side assistance for more than 8 times. The dealership
said they had to do a software update which would cost$480! If this does not help then replace the sat control unit?!!!! I am clueless. Had the same problems when covered under extended warranty. It just got worse after the last service for a month ago . Need help

dubdlux 11-20-2013 10:57 AM

ESL

I just had the electronic steering lock replaced on my '09 C350. Same symptoms as everyone mentioned - key in, wheel won't unlock, car won't crank. Thankfully I have 1 month left on my CPO warranty so MB picked up the tab for this one.