MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   what do to about rock chips and bugs on front bumper? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/452787-what-do-about-rock-chips-bugs-front-bumper.html)

aaroncouto 06-22-2012 02:13 PM

what do to about rock chips and bugs on front bumper?

hey guys, being that my car is black i have been noticing a large amount of rock chips and bug marks on my front end. It really is starting to get bad and is making the front end look real dirty. is there anything i can do to stop this from happening?

clkwork 06-22-2012 02:19 PM

To prevent chips just keep a good coat of wax and don't follow people too close. If you're really worried about it have a 3M clear bra installed.

As for repairing chips, if it's bad the only real solution is to get it resprayed. Small chips you can touch up yourself or buy that color matched "chapstick" stuff but it's not going to be right.

LandSeaAir 06-22-2012 02:43 PM

Mine has so many little rock chips someday I'm going to get it resprayed. For the bugs just get bug and tar remover, it does a good job.

dubdlux 06-22-2012 02:48 PM

I've used Dr. Colorchip on my black C350 and while it isn't perfect, from more than a foot or two away you can hardly see the chips.

fattysnax 06-22-2012 02:52 PM

Same point as LandSeaAir. Bug & tar remover and be sure to wax or quick detail in between so that when bugs do splatter, they are easy to clean off.

I also just picked up some Dr. Colorchip to fix minor paint chips. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

TexanBuckeye 06-22-2012 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by dubdlux (Post 5251698)
I've used Dr. Colorchip on my black C350 and while it isn't perfect, from more than a foot or two away you can hardly see the chips.

I've used Dr. Color Chip on my Steel Grey CLS550 and you can't tell from more than a foot away. It's a cheap fix at least until you feel the need for a respray.

clkwork 06-22-2012 03:05 PM

Thanks for the colorchip tip, I might check that out myself. I've used tinted wax which is basically doing the same thing (although less permanent), so this should be better for fixing the minor stuff :y

Scat01 06-22-2012 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by clkwork (Post 5251722)
Thanks for the colorchip tip, I might check that out myself. I've used tinted wax which is basically doing the same thing (although less permanent), so this should be better for fixing the minor stuff :y

I use DR Colorchip on all my cars - the darker the paint the better the results from what I have found (Silver, Steel grey, and black cars)

Not even close to the same thing as tinted wax, it is actual paint in the exact color code of your vehicle, excellent product if applied correctly - smeeeeerrrr it as instructed and do not apply pressure when completing final step, quick back and forth motion and let the product do its job....

Stevedotmil 06-22-2012 04:59 PM

Dr. Colorchip = yes
Bugs on the front = fabric softener dryer sheets. Dunk them in the soapy water and scrub away. Softener breaks up the bug guts enzymes and the fabric catches the hard parts. Won't scratch your finish. This is the first step of my wash every time.

LandSeaAir 06-22-2012 09:43 PM

is the Dr. Colorchip product any different from just a touchup brush with OEM paint? As far as i can see their method of smearing and polishing is what really makes it work, unless I'm missing something. Maybe the sealant is something special? Glad to hear from you guys that it works though and not just the testimonials on the website .

illlojik 06-22-2012 09:51 PM

I'm a fan of Dr. Colorchip. Like all said, it's not noticeable from more than a foot away. I think the main difference is that dealer touch up paint(TUP) is usually of a thicker mix and hard to blend. DrC is easily blendable in layers to get a near perfect match without the globing.

dcjwlee 06-24-2012 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by illlojik (Post 5252194)
I'm a fan of Dr. Colorchip. Like all said, it's not noticeable from more than a foot away. I think the main difference is that dealer touch up paint(TUP) is usually of a thicker mix and hard to blend. DrC is easily blendable in layers to get a near perfect match without the globing.

Yes! I picked up an arctic white tube of touch up paint and boy is it hard to get the color to match nicely. Even in small chips!

Domm 06-24-2012 04:09 PM

I've seen people using blue painters tape to cover up the nose on long road trips :D

dcjwlee 06-24-2012 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Domm (Post 5254221)
I've seen people using blue painters tape to cover up the nose on long road trips :D

Should have done that yesterday. Drove 500 miles up to Lake Ontario. The car was PLASTERED in bugs. BUT all that plasti dip i put on the grill and bumper held up fine.

Stevedotmil 06-25-2012 12:02 PM

I thought about buying some clear PlastiDip and hitting the car up on the front before my next long trip and then when I'm done just peeling it off along with all the bugs.