MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Dealer Sanity Check (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/467135-dealer-sanity-check.html)

Luxore 10-15-2012 07:15 PM

Dealer Sanity Check

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to run a bit of a sanity check through the board. I'm a new MB owner (this is my first service) and want to run by some prices I received by you veterans since they seem funny to me.

I have two issues my 2009 C350 is at the MB dealer to address.

The first is an issue discussed on this board before, a moldy sour smell when the AC fans are turned on when first turning on the car. Supposedly, this is covered under the warranty. I printed out the following PDF and took it in with the car.

http://www.mbca.org/sites/default/fi...rvice_bltn.pdf

However, after giving the print out to the dealer when I brought in the car, he called today to say that he ran it past his "warranty guy" and they said although they used to do this work, they no longer do this under warranty because it doesn't work and this bulletin is no good. So I must pay $199 for a "Service" to the A/C. Although he explained it twice I'm still unclear on the details of what the service includes, but presumably the odor would be fixed. He made it sound like the final word had been passed down on this but this totally seems like an issue with the vehicle and should be covered. How can I push this and to whom? Or would you all just take the car elsewhere?

The second issue is that my 2009 C350 has the iPod kit (which I believe to be a $400 upgrade) but the cable is the white one that wont charge the iPhone 4. I've asked them to swap out the cable and they called and priced it at $199? That is half the cost of the original kit! Is this for real?

Thanks,

Luxore

theunderlord 10-15-2012 07:18 PM

You need this. http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/1667

buy it on amazon, much cheaper.

Luxore 10-15-2012 07:27 PM

Thunderlord,

Thanks!

$24 is certainly cheaper. When using the adapter there is no loss in functionality that you're aware of? Honestly, I don't really have the full details on what you should be able to do anyways. I do recall reading you can't sync contacts anyways with the iPhone and COMAND, so I guess the only thing you would expect to work is music and play list control.

Luxore

jctevere 10-15-2012 07:54 PM

Lol, your dealer is a crook. Try to find another MB Dealer or send an email to MBUSA about why the bulletin is no longer active (which it is). That will certainly put your dealer in check.

Acapulco Bill 10-15-2012 07:59 PM

Actually the adaptor is $19.95, and will also charge the newer iPods like the Nano. However the smart things to do s get an Pod Classic, load it up with 1000 tunes (mine has over 6,000 all in Apple lossless NOT MP3), and leave the iPhone in your pocket or briefcase.

If you purchased the C350 from an MB dealer CPO the cabin air filter change is an item on their standard CPO checklist, you should not have to pay to replace it.

Luxore 10-15-2012 08:05 PM

I decided to go the Scosche route for the iPhone. I can't justify paying $199 for a cable.

Acapulco Bill:

Unfortunately it is not CPO. It is still under the 4-year/50k manufacturer warranty though.

Luxore 10-15-2012 08:09 PM

One more update/request for comment:

The main concern I actually brought the vehicle in for actually was the tire pressure sensor kept going off literally everytime we drove the car, sometimes yellow, sometimes red. I know this is definitely covered under the warranty.

They called and they tested and couldn't find any fault with the system--and they reset it through the dashboard. Well, I told him I've done that countless times to clear the message, it never helps. I feel that is a rather low tech solution from the dealer service center--performing an operation we all can do by following the manual. He seems reluctant to take it for a test drive since I told him its nearly a guarantee it will come on.

I think I picked a bad service dealer?

Luxore

AkaSigFreak 10-15-2012 08:42 PM

WOW! You need to RUN (Not Walk) away from that dealership as quickly as possible.
Issue#1- Should definitely be covered by the Service Bulletin. It is not simply the filter change, but an application of a solution to kill the mildew that forms on the condensor. You can help prevent this buy running the AC on Recirculation mode or by turning the AC Off and running the heat on high to expel the cold air from the system. The latter really sucks in the Summer.
Issue#2- Mine was replaced with the Black cable under warranty. The white cable also has a tendency to separate and fall apart.
Issue #3- Have you checked the actual tire pressure? TPMSs sometimes have the tendency to leak due to dry-rotted o-rings. It requires a simple rebuild kit.

Luxore 10-15-2012 08:56 PM

WOW! You need to RUN (Not Walk) away from that dealership as quickly as possible.
Issue#1- Should definitely be covered by the Service Bulletin. It is not simply the filter change, but an application of a solution to kill the mildew that forms on the condensor. You can help prevent this buy running the AC on Recirculation mode or by turning the AC Off and running the heat on high to expel the cold air from the system. The latter really sucks in the Summer.

- I have read about how to maintain it once the issue is resolved and will definitely keep that up. I guess if they say they won't do the service bulletin I say goodbye and take it elsewhere. Everyone seems to saying they should do it.

Issue#2- Mine was replaced with the Black cable under warranty. The white cable also has a tendency to separate and fall apart.

- So they are just jerking me around with the $199 charge for the black cable....

Issue #3- Have you checked the actual tire pressure? TPMSs sometimes have the tendency to leak due to dry-rotted o-rings. It requires a simple rebuild kit.

- I bought a digital tire pressure gauge and filled all four tires according to the PSI listed on the gas tank cover. I have noticed all four tires PSI drop a bit (~4-5 PSI) since I last tested a month ago, but attributed that to me filling them after the car was driven for a few hours on the freeway instead of filling them when they were cold. However, my gut tells me that even if the tires had a very slow leak, if I reset the tire pressure sensor to the current levels, it shouldn't freak out again the same day (or several times per day, as per usual).

theunderlord 10-15-2012 09:42 PM

That adapter is what you need, full functionality, no issues.

bimm325i 10-15-2012 10:12 PM

man that sucks, did you find out if the Service Bulletin is still in effect?

I have an 09 and I dont think this has ever been done, wonder if i can ask for it to be done.

victort 10-15-2012 11:45 PM

my dealer told me the same thing about the TSB. They used to provide the service, but MB excluded it from covering it under warranty a couple of years ago. my service advisor has always been straight with me. My cousin is a senior tech at toyota corp and says that toyota doesn't cover that under warranty either. Asked a couple of dealers around my area and they all said the same thing.

theunderlord 10-16-2012 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by amyoescobar (Post 5395594)
I do recall reading you can't sync contacts anyways with the iPhone and COMAND

Mine sync perfectly with the BT puck.

(Edit, just realized this is the w204 forum)

Acapulco Bill 10-16-2012 09:13 AM

The cabin air filter is not a warranty item, unfortunately. When you replace it, try not to use the "recirculation" too often, except for tunnels, heavy traffic, or in a closed parking area.

Recirculation turns off automatically in about 30 minutes if you forget to turn it off. The cabin air filter is active constantly at a low level, and on max when in recirculation mode, which is unlike other manufacturers (Honda, Ford, BMW) which just recirculate the same interior air unfiltered.