MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Clearcoat Peeling Issue - Help (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/476143-clearcoat-peeling-issue-help.html)

Franco Di Sotto 01-01-2013 04:43 PM

Clearcoat Peeling Issue - Help

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I just took over someone's lease and noticed the front bumper clearcoat is peeling significantly. It is a C250 4Matic 2011. Is anyone else having this problem? Do you think Mercedes Canada is liable for this poor paint job?

Any warranty? Thanks for the help/input!

Attachment 449157

ddeliber 01-01-2013 05:23 PM

On a 2011?? That should definitely be covered under warranty.

Franco Di Sotto 01-01-2013 05:37 PM

Are you sure? It looks like there was a bubble between paint and the clearcoat that probably got hit by some road debris. Instead of chipping, it popped the bubble. Now with snow + rain the filth goes between those two layers and make the clearcoat peel and it is a non stopping process until the whole bumper becomes without clearcoat it looks like :S

ddeliber 01-01-2013 05:51 PM

Paint and clear coat are covered. Scratches and dings aren't obviously, but peeling yes. The bubble, if there was one, shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Cleanbenz 01-01-2013 05:53 PM

Unless it was repainted by a Non MB endorsed shop I'd say they are liable for it through warranty. My clear coat on my drip rails started peeling and they replaced them no questions asked.

Franco Di Sotto 01-01-2013 07:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see what they say about it.

Cleanbenz you make a good point. Is there a way for me to find out this is an OEM paint or if the guy before me got the front bumper repainted and failed to tell me about it?

Cleanbenz 01-01-2013 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Franco Di Sotto (Post 5489346)
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see what they say about it.

Cleanbenz you make a good point. Is there a way for me to find out this is an OEM paint or if the guy before me got the front bumper repainted and failed to tell me about it?

There's no sure way to know honestly. You can take it to a reputable paint shop and see if they can find any tape lines or overspray on the backside of the bumper that may lead them to believe it was resprayed. I would just go to the dealer as if you had no question it was the original paint and take it from there.

snowmuch 01-01-2013 08:24 PM

How long is the paint job covered? My is just out of warranty.

Cleanbenz 01-01-2013 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by snowmuch (Post 5489407)
How long is the paint job covered? My is just out of warranty.

I think they would cover it under the normal 4 year/ 50k mile warranty only. Mine was only at 20k miles when it started peeling so I was still well within my warranty.

Domm 01-01-2013 09:40 PM

Are you sure it's not an applied clear bra?

Franco Di Sotto 01-02-2013 01:10 PM

What does a clear bra feels like?

The first layer is very brittle in the sense that if I touch it, it just cracks into pieces. If it was a protective film, I don't think it would behave this way?

I called and they are closed for holidays... Will have to wait tomorrow.

RLE 01-02-2013 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cleanbenz (Post 5489286)
Unless it was repainted by a Non MB endorsed shop I'd say they are liable for it through warranty. My clear coat on my drip rails started peeling and they replaced them no questions asked.

I'll bet the previous owner ooops leaser touched it up before you acquired it.